Which one will be Windows 10 mobile's killer feature? Your opinion

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
How about multiple start screens to choose from, would that be interesting? They manage multiple desktops on PC, so this should not be that difficult.

Peter Rundqvist

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
For many enterprises, Windows is the platform of choice. Having the possibility to enroll the phones used in the organisation and make them manageable as just another Windows device, will be a killer feature. Here, Microsoft will have a real advantage over its competitors. Imagine being able to roll out apps to any kind of device in your organisation, regardless of its physical appearance. Also, enterprise authentication features will be a breeze to handle using your WP. I think MS should stress these possibilities much more. Today, much of the debate is about app gap and home user experience. There's another dimension to WP that needs to be communicated.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but who would buy an app when the feature is BUILT IN?! (guitar riff)

anyone who will find that the app works better as in most cases it does if we talk about Microsoft. anything works better on the other platforms in respect of their own products...and to be honest :))) printing is not a wow factor to make someone switch to WP :))) go tell this to an android user or iphone user, he or she will laugh in your face.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
There are actually apps for iOS devices to print wirelessly by wifi-printing/air print.

Yeah but who would buy an app when the feature is BUILT IN?! (guitar riff)

The apps for printing WiFi/Air are also available for WP8.1/10. I've got one that I use. A couple, actually. However, they only print from within that app and only certain types of apps to certain printers.

The big difference here is that you will be able to obtain a printer driver for your W10M just like on W10 Desktop and print natively from within any app without having to send it to another app. Like, print directly from Microsoft Word. Print directly from Excel. Print from Photos app, or any app that has data that can be printed. Not just print, but Print Preview, Print Settings, Page Layout settings, margins, double-sided printing, print odd-even pages, etc. Or print just pages 7,9 and 17 from that 200 page report.

Is it a killer feature? Well, it's all part of just the "Desktop OS being on a phone." Just like Continuum.

It's going to be a killer feature for Enterprise users. Average users do very little printing anymore.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I believe the biggest impact will come from universal apps, allowing app developers to make a single app with four interfaces (desktop, tablet, phone and tv/xbox).

For me personally it will be continuum, when (and only when) I get an Intel processor and can ditch my Surface Pro, docking my phone at work and at home for the full PC experience. That will be awesome!

(On a sidenote, when that time comes I hope it will be a BlackBerry running Windows 10, something like the new Priv slider, I love having a physical keyboard for work on the go.)

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
biggest feature would be a week long battery charge if they could achieve that, everyone else would be screwed, other than that, if continuum capable screens become ubiquitous people would watch and say "oh shet that phone has real windows on it, that's da real MVP" and the thing knows your face too? bruh that's more than killer

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Sadly from the technical preview there's no real me killer features. I'm hoping the final version adds a few features we haven't seen yet but it's looking like the insiders has been a waste. It's not much different from 8.1 just added more options Imo.where are the new features Microsoft

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Sadly from the technical preview there's no real me killer features. I'm hoping the final version adds a few features we haven't seen yet but it's looking like the insiders has been a waste. It's not much different from 8.1 just added more options Imo.where are the new features Microsoft

I haven't really seen any new features in WM10, except the one in dialer where you type numbers instead of letters and it pops up your contacts, other than that, nt really.
They've only changed the look.
For us, regular, non interested in developing users, theres pretty much nothing new.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
True. Many changes under the hood but for the average user nothing that could be called killer feature. In some parts W10M even lacks functions that 8.1 still had like glance screen.
Hard to convince current owners of a WP device to upgrade, almost impossible to make people switch to WP.
Go and tell an Android user about our new "features" like the ability to connect bluetooth keyboards or mice, printing etc. will make them laugh at us WP users. Face it or not, but W10M is just as retarded as WP8.1 is compared to the two major competitors.

Webmaster2015

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
The one feature I hope that will be for all W10 phones (and not just premium phones) would be the direct port of Android apps. Project Astoria seems to be something to watch, although I did not dare try the stolen source (which is illegal and on top of that probably modified).

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If by killer feature you mean something innovative that neither iOS nor Android have then probably nothing. There's nothing the software engineers or idea men in Redmond are going to figure out that would be totally foreign to their counterparts at Google and Apple. The most they can do is package some kind of existing concept/functionality in a different way. Hopefully that works out for the consumer in the form of having a third, equally good option when choosing a mobile platform because competition is good for the consumer.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
If by killer feature you mean something innovative that neither iOS nor Android have then probably nothing. There's nothing the software engineers or idea men in Redmond are going to figure out that would be totally foreign to their counterparts at Google and Apple. The most they can do is package some kind of existing concept/functionality in a different way.

I would say that continuum, allowing developers to build, test, release and maintain a single app (on a single app store) with four different interfaces (desktop, tablet, mobile and tv/xbox) is pretty innovative and something neither Android nor iOS has.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I would say that continuum, allowing developers to build, test, release and maintain a single app (on a single app store) with four different interfaces (desktop, tablet, mobile and tv/xbox) is pretty innovative and something neither Android nor iOS has.
That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much. There are those Android 2 in 1s that can be a phone or a tablet, are they any popular?

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much.

I think the end result will be for consumers, that they get a lot more apps than today because of it. Sure, that in itself is not a killer feature, but I think that if the app gap does not exist Windows 10 Mobile won't need a killer feature.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much. There are those Android 2 in 1s that can be a phone or a tablet, are they any popular?
The only one I've heard of was the ASUS Transformer Book V, but it was discontinued awhile ago. I've never seen anyone have it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
True. Many changes under the hood but for the average user nothing that could be called killer feature. In some parts W10M even lacks functions that 8.1 still had like glance screen.
Hard to convince current owners of a WP device to upgrade, almost impossible to make people switch to WP.
Go and tell an Android user about our new "features" like the ability to connect bluetooth keyboards or mice, printing etc. will make them laugh at us WP users. Face it or not, but W10M is just as retarded as WP8.1 is compared to the two major competitors.

I have a glance on my 640, slow ring.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
There's quite a few settings under Extras including the glance screen that had not been restyled for W10 yet. I hope that they will rewrite them all, but they are not a priority atm. They are there if you do not hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb