What features would an Android user miss after switching to W10M?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
These features are for convincing an Android user to switch.

I doubt that is the reason. The reason is likely more to keep WP users instead of losing them to Android by adding the features they're getting with Android. 85% of the market says that they're going to use Android, whatever the reasons may be. WP needs to either emulate that, or create better reasons for staying/switching.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Not really android related but what I would like to see:

1. Not being able to use quiet hours without Cortana being on and therefore GPS which eats battery. And on top of that Cortana requires data.

2. While some apps can be set as defaults like truecaller for caller id, and video apps etc.. Camera app is no longer able to be set. I just see lumia camera greyed out. I actually prefer MS camera so I have a tile pinned.

3. Not being able to set folders to be static. Not everyone may want all their apps constantly flashing and changing in their folder. I have a feature suggestion for toggling each folder dynamic/static but it hasn't gotten any upvotes.

4. Saving themes. I love playing with my phone and having unique start screens. Sometimes I put a good amount of time into it, but it may not be something I may want to have at work because it doesn't look professional. It would be nice to save themes and load themes on the fly through an action button. This is also feedback i sent with no upvotes.

5. A color wheel for colors. Simple.

6. A fully navigational store that does not annoy you every time you look through a huge list and then hit back to be brought back to the main search page.

7. Adjustable keyboard size/placement for all phone sizes. Hey, my thumb is small and even on my 5 inch lumia it's tough to reach the edge in a comfortable manner.

8. A hide keyboard button. Hitting back is not intuitive. Most people will think it will take them back to the previous page.

9. Better built in apps. Including maps. If you look at bing.com/mapspreview it has some awesome features as well as aerial view. This should be built into their app and it will woo more people. You want to get people to switch from google maps. Bing maps is actually better than google but only online.

10. Show # of downloads in store, history, etc. Already mentioned of course but it is very important.

That's all I can think of for now. :D

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It kinda does though seeing as they already have android like features that look and work the same way.
Shame the OS had to be ddumbed down and butchered but I hope if Microsoft gets the market share then they will do another reboot afterwards and bring it back to what it used to be. They are fans of reboots after all.

But windows 10 as it is reminds me of a skinned android phone. And seeing as there already is an android runtime on the phone, I really don't want to see more android like features.

Time to stop being me too and time to start being a leader and innovator.

How so? What makes windows phone unique is the start screen. Apps are just apps. I wouldn't be on windows phone if it wasn't for the start screen. And windows 10 makes it way better. You rather have an ellipses in the corner and no apps than have a few changes to your apps and lots of them?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
How so? What makes windows phone unique is the start screen. Apps are just apps. I wouldn't be on windows phone if it wasn't for the start screen. And windows 10 makes it way better. You rather have an ellipses in the corner and no apps than have a few changes to your apps and lots of them?
I don't much care about the way the apps look. I do prefer the ellipses to the hamburger menu but I am growing to tolerate them. Despite having the start screen, the start screen really does remind me of one if those android launchers.

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
It kinda does though seeing as they already have android like features that look and work the same way.
Shame the OS had to be ddumbed down and butchered but I hope if Microsoft gets the market share then they will do another reboot afterwards and bring it back to what it used to be. They are fans of reboots after all.

But windows 10 as it is reminds me of a skinned android phone. And seeing as there already is an android runtime on the phone, I really don't want to see more android like features.

Time to stop being me too and time to start being a leader and innovator.

Well.. You can't blame MS for making WP similar to Android. After all Android has the most appealing UI for almost 70% of smartphone users around the world.. I agree that MS should stop being me too and create something innovative.. That's what they did with W8.1 and WP8.1 .. But people were hesitant to switch just because WP was confusing for regular Android user... But I prefer WP8.1 style though.. Users were not smart enough to understand the beauty of WP.. So don't blame MS.. It's all about fortune.. Now WP's fortune depends upon the success of W10M.. A market share of 10% will give us the break through.. Till then all MS can do is prepare their OS with innovative features and wait for the right time... But I don't think MS would go back to previous UI design ... Let's just forget it in the past..

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Not really android related but what I would like to see:

1. Not being able to use quiet hours without Cortana being on and therefore GPS which eats battery. And on top of that Cortana requires data.

2. While some apps can be set as defaults like truecaller for caller id, and video apps etc.. Camera app is no longer able to be set. I just see lumia camera greyed out. I actually prefer MS camera so I have a tile pinned.

3. Not being able to set folders to be static. Not everyone may want all their apps constantly flashing and changing in their folder. I have a feature suggestion for toggling each folder dynamic/static but it hasn't gotten any upvotes.

4. Saving themes. I love playing with my phone and having unique start screens. Sometimes I put a good amount of time into it, but it may not be something I may want to have at work because it doesn't look professional. It would be nice to save themes and load themes on the fly through an action button. This is also feedback i sent with no upvotes.

5. A color wheel for colors. Simple.

6. A fully navigational store that does not annoy you every time you look through a huge list and then hit back to be brought back to the main search page.

7. Adjustable keyboard size/placement for all phone sizes. Hey, my thumb is small and even on my 5 inch lumia it's tough to reach the edge in a comfortable manner.

8. A hide keyboard button. Hitting back is not intuitive. Most people will think it will take them back to the previous page.

9. Better built in apps. Including maps. If you look at bing.com/mapspreview it has some awesome features as well as aerial view. This should be built into their app and it will woo more people. You want to get people to switch from google maps. Bing maps is actually better than google but only online.

10. Show # of downloads in store, history, etc. Already mentioned of course but it is very important.

That's all I can think of for now. :D

Woww ... I couldn't agree more... I'll be adding some of these ( related to Android only ) to the list I created :) thumbs UP..

Last edited:

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I doubt that is the reason. The reason is likely more to keep WP users instead of losing them to Android by adding the features they're getting with Android. 85% of the market says that they're going to use Android, whatever the reasons may be. WP needs to either emulate that, or create better reasons for staying/switching.

I dont agree with that point .. Because MS is not trying to keep those 2.7% users in hand.. They are just trying to improve that number by making other users to switch .. If they were trying to stop the already existing customers from switching to Android, they would have followed the same UI of WP8.1 ( because of what most of the 2.7% users are here ) and would have added more features to the same UI design.. So MS is definitely looking at Android and iOS users

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well.. You can't blame MS for making WP similar to Android. After all Android has the most appealing UI for almost 70% of smartphone users around the world.. I agree that MS should stop being me too and create something innovative.. That's what they did with W8.1 and WP8.1 .. But people were hesitant to switch just because WP was confusing for regular Android user... But I prefer WP8.1 style though.. Users were not smart enough to understand the beauty of WP.. So don't blame MS.. It's all about fortune.. Now WP's fortune depends upon the success of W10M.. A market share of 10% will give us the break through.. Till then all MS can do is prepare their OS with innovative features and wait for the right time... But I don't think MS would go back to previous UI design ... Let's just forget it in the past..
I seriously doubt androids design is the most appealing to the majority of the users. So much it became the leader simply for having a crap load of cheap phones and offered an alternative to pricey iphones.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I dont agree with that point .. Because MS is not trying to keep those 2.7% users in hand.. They are just trying to improve that number by making other users to switch .. If they were trying to stop the already existing customers from switching to Android, they would have followed the same UI of WP8.1 ( because of what most of the 2.7% users are here ) and would have added more features to the same UI design.. So MS is definitely looking at Android and iOS users

I honestly don't know why so many people want windows phone to follow an android mentality. At this point, you'd do wise just to get an android phone and use Microsoft services

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't know why so many people want windows phone to follow an android mentality. At this point, you'd do wise just to get an android phone and use Microsoft services

I would but I can't. Android doesn't let you save almost all your apps on the sd card without rooting it. I heard the functionality is coming in android marshmallow but that isn't going to reach most phones till next year.

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site

The answer is simple.. We are here because we love Windows OS... I don't want W10M to follow Android.. But to gain some market share, that's the way to go.. I personally don't like it.. But it's time to move on.. And MS services on Windows OS is superior to other platforms.. Using Cortana on Android won't give me all the functionality.. Skype is not inbuilt and integrated in iOS and Android..And last but not the least "Live Tiles"

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt androids design is the most appealing to the majority of the users. So much it became the leader simply for having a crap load of cheap phones and offered an alternative to pricey iphones.

may be design of Android is not the most appealing part.. Most of the Android users loves the customizability of the OS.. And not to mention the ton load of apps.. I don't think Android gained market share by being cheap alternative for iPhones..

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
may be design of Android is not the most appealing part.. Most of the Android users loves the customizability of the OS.. And not to mention the ton load of apps.. I don't think Android gained market share by being cheap alternative for iPhones..

Most android users are the average consumers and the average consumer does not spend time customizing the OS with roms. That's a small minority of the Android users.

As far as being a cheap alternative....I was an android user from 2009-2012(owned about 40 or so phones before I discovered how crap the OS was..i did dabble briefly in 2013 but quickly returned the M7).

Android became known in 2008 with the G1 but it wasn't that great and a few other android phones at that time sucked. It wasn't until around 2009 when Verizon Wireless launched the Motorola Droid that the Droid became known as the iPhone killer. It had a crazy cool marketing scheme with these commercials (Seriously look up the youtube videos...I may even make a topic on this). Droid sort of became Lumia at the time for android and it coined the slogan 'droid does'.

Then Samsung(which sort of sucked) came out with Galaxy around 2009 and that's when android became known as a cheap alternative. People didn't need to pay 600 or more dollars to get a good smartphone. You could buy an android.....Google also provided alternatives for music to iTunes and books and other things in a cheaper package.

Android is cheaper than iPhone and people realized that.

of course customization is apart of it and the fact you have far less restrictions with Android. But yes Android's early success was way before Galaxy became a thing(because in reality it took the Galaxy S2 to make Samsung really a household name and direct competitor to iPhone...their previous phones such as the behold, transform, moment and other crap sucked) was due to the fact that android was the cost effective and cheap way to get a smartphone.

This was 2008-2010 where blackberry was still sort of relevant in a way and Windows Phone wasn't out yet......The LG optimus is one of the best selling android phones due to the fact it was similar to the Lumia 520 in that all the carriers had it and it was such a cheap phone(albeit poor performance).

This was also when HTC was at its prime as well.

Nowadays Android is more or less the cool thing and less focus on the cheap thing...which is where Windows phone is now trying to pick up at hence all of our low end models.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I would but I can't. Android doesn't let you save almost all your apps on the sd card without rooting it. I heard the functionality is coming in android marshmallow but that isn't going to reach most phones till next year.

of course you also have to hope your phone will be updated in a timely manner as well with android.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what the Frick Microsoft has been up to? From the outside it doesn't seem like they are serious at all. When I had my 920 it was the same. From the outside looking in there has been no news except less functionality than 8 which had less functionality than 7.

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what the Frick Microsoft has been up to? From the outside it doesn't seem like they are serious at all. When I had my 920 it was the same. From the outside looking in there has been no news except less functionality than 8 which had less functionality than 7.

Sent from my smexy T-Mobile Note 5

Inline notifications, developer freedom(yes developers have as much power as Microsoft's teams when make apps now), voice dictation, one handed mode (now working with all phones), expandable action center, expandable notifications, interactive notifications, new settings app, skype integration with messaging app, a lot more sites work correctly on Microsoft edge than IE so you can do all your banking on the web until an app is made. Built in file explorer app, xbox app, full background with tile option with transparent slider, universal options of 99% of the built in apps so Microsoft can easily add features without a new OS update, android app support(to an extent), new animations, new design, default camera app is Lumia camera 5 but renamed. New Bluetooth stack that can support many new devices like game pads, selfie sticks etc. Making all these features run on the lowest of low end devices while adding more features while also trying to improving performance.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you say like that, then what's the point of releasing W10M?.. Come on.. Give it some time.. Atleast wait till the release day..

:) to see what? another beta crap from MS like Windows 10 is on the PC? I've changed ship long time ago for mai main phone but kept a Lumia for testing. It's value dropped so badly that it was useless to sell it: Lumia 1520. But really, I've seen nothing great in windows 10 on it. Horrible UI for the OS, like a shrinked down version of the PC, lags, MS apps always in beta, camera app a total failure compared to Lumia Camera etc. The entire OS is a mess and they want to release it in a month or two? This will be really funny to see them hit the bucket again. I've taken the sour bite twice with MS: WP7.8 and WinRT...not this time anymore.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't want W10M to follow Android.. But to gain some market share, that's the way to go..

No it isn't.

They tried to gain market share in the last few years by trying to get in the mobile market, and although in Europe things look better (like 10-15% market share in some countries) world wide it isn't high enough. So they have to look for a diffferent approuch.

How big is there market share on the PC market?
How many people have a windows (10 now) PC at home, and how many have this at work?
Providing the enterprise market also with very well intergrated Windows Phones, may just be the better approuch to gain market share in the private mobile market, because users will see, that a Windows Phone just works better with office then an Android or IOS (yes it does)

Private users with Windows 10 on there Home PC, might also be more tempted to a Windows Phone, because of the same reason.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a phone running 10 and so can someone tell me the main difference between 8.1 and 10 that I would see on my 920 or any other phone ... thanks

The font styles and sizes in the lock screen are different, on screen buttons look anorexic and start screen tiles gave thinner borders or/and there is a full screen background option. That's how your instantly recognise Windows 10.

Eric_J

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if Google and Apple have insider preview, but this makes a case for not having it. Many people use the preview and are ready to leave the OS before the launch of the final product. Take a page out of Apple's book and just launch the upgrade. If fans don't like it, then update it after 6 months. Also, talking about the features for 6-9 months removes the Ahhhh factor. Most people watching the MS release will be largely disappointed because they will all know the features intimately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss