The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-05-2016 08:20 AM
265 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Tap to pay. Every app
    09-27-2015 10:47 PM
    ^Every app? Outlook is a joke on iOS and that's just for starters. The OP said features, let's stay on topic.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-27-2015 11:12 PM
    I have a 1520 and a 6 Plus, and out of the games you mention, I've only played Halo and Asphalt 8 on both phones to compare.

Halo looks the same on both phones, and Asphalt 8 looks way better and even plays better on the iPhone. Asphalt 8 was updated with Apple's Metal graphics, and it has cool visuals like flaming burnouts & stuff.
    That is due to the amount of resources allocated to each platform. A software firm will undoubtedly spend most of its time polishing their iOS version, then Android and whatever time is left is devoted to Windows Mobile. Now I keep hearing the openGL is better than DX argument thrown around with no basis. OpenGL has come a long way, but even when compared against DX11, DX comes out on top. The lack of performance or quality on a Windows Mobile/Phone game is due to the developer's lack of interest in the platform and nothing else.
    09-28-2015 12:29 AM
    The main Alarm app , which is not app actually and a part of OS ,the missing feature is that i wont find any option for quick alarm like for 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins directly rather than i have to set time , its worst for me .
    09-28-2015 01:12 AM
    DISCLAIMER: This is about apps...

The key thing that Apple has over Microsoft is that they have customers who are prepared to pay for apps. Why is this important?

Because developers who love writing apps, and have great pride in their apps, and can be paid full time to do work on them, will perfect their apps.

Apple customers are prepared to pay for their s/w = happy high quality development.

Compare this to the Windows app store. It is full of trashy third rate junk that looked as if it was designed late one afternoon and published the next day.

It does not have to be like this. Consider Wunderlist for example -- a totally great looking and functioning app. And then look at NextGen Reader which is functionally great but the fonts are ugly as hell on a small tablet.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-28-2015 01:15 AM
    and i forget to tell you that if you are from india, you are not allowed to buy apps if you donot have credit card , because there is only one option to pay for pro. apps i.e credit card and there isnot any place or online website where you can buy gift cards in india for microsoft store , even in their welcome program microsoft use to provide coupon for flipkarts rather than their own appstore , Rip Microsoft .
    09-28-2015 01:21 AM
    But I'll add one more point. One thing that does not do however even in iPhone 4S, at least I have not seen it yet, is complete system reboot for no reason. That happens to me almost every week with my Lumia 620. I put up with it because it cost me 200 euros approximately when I bought it 6 months ago.
    Where did you get a 620 so expensive? When I bought mine 2 years ago, I paid less than that and 6 months ago it had alerady dropped to about 100. :|
    Regarding random restarts on the 620, I only get them once a few months not every week
    09-28-2015 01:36 AM
    One feature I find lacking in W10 Mobile that has been present on IOS for years now is "assistive touch" - the ability to have virtual navigation buttons (home, search and back). Sure, there are not on screen buttons on phones such as Lumia 640 etc, but for people with faulty capacitive buttons, this feature will definitely extend the live of their phones. When the iPhone's home bottom becomes faulty, their users can toggle on assistive touch and benefit greatly from this feature.
    milkyway likes this.
    09-28-2015 05:09 AM
    My 1 cent...
    I'm using Windows phone since the invent of iMate Pocket PC - 2004. Leave comparing other OS for now. Please bring back features of Windows Phone 4 in Windows 10 Mobile. I want to have a fax app to receive fax, sign and send back as fax which I had in 2004 and in 2015 we have dropped so many such features. I was able to set different UI for each caller in contact. Now... No.
    Next, every one says it is lack of interest from developers to build windows mobile app. It is definitely wrong. It is completely MS fault. To develop a Windows 8 mobile app one needs Windows 8 PC. Almost entire world and Enterprises never even thought of moving away from Windows 7 as of date (28-Sep-2015). Next Windows 7 does not support HyperV to install Windows 8 and develop for Windows 8 Phones. This is another biggest bottleneck. So we could not even think of any app to be built...
    Big players like Truecaller, facebook, etc. do not have first class development and support for Windows platform. Till date TrueCaller in WinPhone does not tell me who is this unknown caller while that feature works in other OSs.
    We have enormous amount of enterprise tools and apps which can be built as windows universal apps which are currently in Excel form. Having these tools converted to Windows platform itself will be a big list. For this "sideloading" has to be accepted in enterprise environment. Here little known/understood issue is Microsoft does not provide a comprehensive security/antivirus system. Defender works for desktops and you need security center for server environment. In Enterprises we have Linux, Ubuntu, Xen, etc which all don't even participate in AD let alone the antivirus from Microsoft.
    Ok... This list goes bigger. In short it is MS who has to look beyond its own environment to have a comprehensive coverage. .NET for non windows platforms is a good start. Universal Apps is another good start. High time to give a Visual Studio version which works in Windows 7 with which we can build Windows 10 universal app will be a killer and we need it sooner than ever. You must understand at home we have already converted to Windows 10 PCs. At office it is still Windows 7 and it is here we spend > 80% of our living time....
    PlaymoBg likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:19 AM
    We don't live in 2004 any more.

What people seem to have forgotten is that many features of Windows 10 have come from user requests - either through the uservoice pages or the feeback app that's been built into Windows 10 from the start. Microsoft read those requests and consider using them based on numbers of requests. There's very few people these days who are requesting faxes. There's very few people who want the look of the UI to change based on what contact you're dealing with (people are generally happy with personalised ring and SMS tones). But, if you want things, you need to vote for them...

As regards Windows 8 and development, enterprises have enterprise licencing which enables them to build virtual development boxes. Even though their physical computers may be Windows 7, they'll be developing in virtual environments. Arguing that Windows 8 is limiting development in corporate environments doesn't really hold water.

And you can't blame Microsoft for other developers being too apathetic to develop for Windows 10 - Microsoft has done a huge amount to make like easy when it comes to porting code from Android to Windows 10.
    09-28-2015 07:42 AM
    *There is no permission for 3rd party alternatives to system apps (lockscreen apps, video-call apps, vpn changer (zenmate-type) apps, etc, etc)

*Still there is no "via-Bluetooth option" in sharing settings unless you go and open that option first(what a pity!).
    (There must be Via-bluetooth option in default choices and when we chose "via-bluetooth", it must be turned on automatically! Is it really hard to make this real!!!)

*Still a lot of "loading" screens!

I think Microsoft Mobile crew look at some WP news portals and forums like WindowsCentral and see what their users want!

Insider program may be successful for PC version but it's really a complete fiasco for Mobile after 8 months!
    Users had no time for their requests and suggestions about new and most-wanted features for the system, because of crappy builds.
    Due to broken builds, insider feedbacks're full of complaints about issues, problems etc. instead of new-feature suggests.

After 8 months, MS took barely a long way, even go nowhere except some minor basic additions to the system!

I'm really upset! And if MS continue to go so slowly for the system, I'll think about to buy a device which runs Android or iOS on Christmas.
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:51 AM
    Looks like this thread has turned into yet another rant against Windows 10 Mobile (Technical Preview).

Can we get back onto the original topic please (discussing what iOS has/does better than W10M). General W10M rants can be added to one of the many rant threads that already exist.
    fatclue_98 and realwarder like this.
    09-28-2015 08:44 AM
    Till date TrueCaller in WinPhone does not tell me who is this unknown caller while that feature works in other OSs.
    That's strange, because TC does show caller info on the incoming call screen on my L520 with a 3G data connection.
    09-28-2015 10:02 AM
    *There is no permission for 3rd party alternatives to system apps (lockscreen apps, video-call apps, vpn changer (zenmate-type) apps, etc, etc)

*Still there is no "via-Bluetooth option" in sharing settings unless you go and open that option first(what a pity!).
    (There must be Via-bluetooth option in default choices and when we chose "via-bluetooth", it must be turned on automatically! Is it really hard to make this real!!!)

*Still a lot of "loading" screens!

I think Microsoft Mobile crew look at some WP news portals and forums like WindowsCentral and see what their users want!

Insider program may be successful for PC version but it's really a complete fiasco for Mobile after 8 months!
    Users had no time for their requests and suggestions about new and most-wanted features for the system, because of crappy builds.
    Due to broken builds, insider feedbacks're full of complaints about issues, problems etc. instead of new-feature suggests.

After 8 months, MS took barely a long way, even go nowhere except some minor basic additions to the system!

I'm really upset! And if MS continue to go so slowly for the system, I'll think about to buy a device which runs Android or iOS on Christmas.
    Exactly my thoughts. There are so many such small yet annoying things with WP. And its a shame that no one is interested in rectifying these and polishing the os. Whats the use of hifi gimmiks like 3d touch, continum if such simple stuff is so complicated? Users here straightway stamp you iOS/android fanboy n ignore rather than accepting the facts.
    I was a Nokia (symbian) fanboy to begin with. WP was appealing when I saw it. But more i use it, more such problems irritate me. Recently switched to android (zenfone 2). Its damn cheap, very fluid, no lags atall. And more importantly received 4 firmware updates in just 1 and half month of purchase. It has clearly improved and ironed out the user experience. Even without a single 3rd party app installed, its way too fluid, user friendly and has so many features. I just received 2 firmware updates for lumia 925 in 2 years and none for lumia 730 in 6 months. None improved any user experience noticebly or rectified the above problems, leave alone adding features.
    I do not want to argue or support anyone or any OS. But just the facts what I see.
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    09-28-2015 11:36 AM
    ^Every app? Outlook is a joke on iOS and that's just for starters. The OP said features, let's stay on topic.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk
    Another apologist. No wonder MS is at 2.7%
    Last edited by mikepalma; 09-28-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    09-28-2015 11:47 AM
    Another apologist. No wonder MS is at 2.7%
    Read my sig, I use BlackBerry. I don't need to apologize for anything I don't create myself. But that doesn't change the fact that Outlook on iOS is the most feature-deprived of all the major OSes. If you have nothing to contribute to this particular thread, kindly move on.
    09-28-2015 12:07 PM
    Airplay? No sure if someone mentioned that. People like iTunes sending to an AppleTV to play music and even when the phone turns off it reportedly still plays (no idea I don't have one).

Contrast this to Miracast which stops on screen lock. Or Cast To which all appears a bit vague and unfinished today.
    09-28-2015 12:28 PM
    Read my sig, I use BlackBerry. I don't need to apologize for anything I don't create myself. But that doesn't change the fact that Outlook on iOS is the most feature-deprived of all the major OSes. If you have nothing to contribute to this particular thread, kindly move on.
    Ever heard of tap to pay? Have fun w your blackberry
    09-28-2015 04:33 PM
    That is going to keep happening, look at live photos on the 6s, been on Lumias for a while, another feature that has 'now' been invented by apple, there are bloggers and reviewers all around the world spreading it like gospel, it's the second coming of pictures!
    Live Photos vs Living Images is a PERFECT encapsulation of iOS vs WP.
    My Lumia Icon took Living Images, and it was pretty neat. However, it was 100% USELESS because NOT even the DEFAULT PHOTO APP on WP could DISPLAY them!!! How insane is that? When I looked in Photos they showed as regular images. I turned the feature off because NOBODY else but me, and ONLY if I opened the camera and went to the preview function there AND opened the picture (meaning I had to leave the picture and come back to it just to see the animation!) could I even use it. yes, there were additional apps I could have used maybe but nothing was created in the OS to make these pictures useful for easily viewing or sharing.

And now, iOS has it, and it seems to me it can actually be used.

I can't think of a better way to compare iOS vs WP.
    michail71 and dgr_874 like this.
    09-28-2015 05:21 PM
    Ever heard of tap to pay? Have fun w your blackberry
    Yes, I've heard of tap to pay. It's low on my list of priorities right along with a root canal or a prostate exam. What's your point if you have one? I use BlackBerry because it suits my NEEDS better than any other device. Since you are hell-bent on starting another thread let me throw these tidbits at you.

USB-OTG - BB yes, iOS no
    Security - BB yes, iOS....I'll let Jennifer Lawrence answer that one
    Bluetooth FTP - BB yes, iOS no
    SMB File Sharing - BB yes, iOS no
    Remote PC Access on mobile network - BB yes, iOS no

Have fun with your app launcher.
    09-28-2015 05:22 PM
    6. Pin your favorite contact, group, site, Youtuber, etc. to your start screen (in WhatsApp I pinned my Wife, Twitter Phil Spencer, YouTube Xbox Channel, People My brother, 6tag my son, Finance App my Watchlist, etc).
    This was my favorite feature in 8.0/8.1. However, pinning a contact does absolutely nothing useful in WP10 other than showing an animation of them spinning. I have my hopes up and I complain about it because if the People app does not improve it will be one of the main reasons I give up on WP.
    dgr_874 and Talal Al Reyami like this.
    09-28-2015 05:34 PM
    Yes, I've heard of tap to pay. It's low on my list of priorities right along with a root canal or a prostate exam. What's your point if you have one? I use BlackBerry because it suits my NEEDS better than any other device. Since you are hell-bent on starting another thread let me throw these tidbits at you.

USB-OTG - BB yes, iOS no
    Security - BB yes, iOS....I'll let Jennifer Lawrence answer that one
    Bluetooth FTP - BB yes, iOS no
    SMB File Sharing - BB yes, iOS no
    Remote PC Access on mobile network - BB yes, iOS no

Have fun with your app launcher.
    Apps - BB10 no, W10M no, iOS yes

Let's play nice... BB10 and W10M is in pretty similar boats, being underdogs.

(PS: My daily drivers are a Q10 and a Passport, and I have a pre-order in for three Privs, so I like BlackBerry for the physical keyboard and the productivity suite. But, I am also a Windows 10 Mobile fan. Well, actually it is continuum that I believe in, once we get phones with Intel processors so I can ditch my Surface Pro and just dock my phone at work and home.)
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-28-2015 05:35 PM
    Live Photos vs Living Images is a PERFECT encapsulation of iOS vs WP.
    My Lumia Icon took Living Images, and it was pretty neat. However, it was 100% USELESS because NOT even the DEFAULT PHOTO APP on WP could DISPLAY them!!! How insane is that? When I looked in Photos they showed as regular images. I turned the feature off because NOBODY else but me, and ONLY if I opened the camera and went to the preview function there AND opened the picture (meaning I had to leave the picture and come back to it just to see the animation!) could I even use it. yes, there were additional apps I could have used maybe but nothing was created in the OS to make these pictures useful for easily viewing or sharing.

And now, iOS has it, and it seems to me it can actually be used.

I can't think of a better way to compare iOS vs WP.
    Apple actually goes the extra steps to make things work effortlessly and market them. Live images on Lumias never left the experimental stage.
    Last edited by michail71; 09-28-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-28-2015 05:38 PM
    MS doesn't really care about phone. This is the perfect example
    09-28-2015 05:41 PM
    Apps - BB10 no, W10M no, iOS yes
    It's not about apps, it's about features. Pleeeeease let us know how that Priv works out.
    09-28-2015 05:52 PM
265 ... 56789 ...