What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
:shocked::crying:WindowsCentral is becoming Windows haters, no constructive critics, just bashings, troll, hatreds, etc.
I am afraid this site/Forum is becoming the next "The Verge" where The Verge before you'd find a lot of value info/details came from Windows enthusiastic/expert/developer/fans but now only left with the majority of Apple/Google fanboys, whereabouts most of Windows users left that site.
I had asked Dan a question and I'd be appreciated if anyone in this site could give an answer.
"I hear and read a lot of bashing and criticism for Windows 10 Mobile OS that it lags miles from iPhone IOS. Heck, I'd love to know what features IOS has Windows 10 Mobile OS doesn't. Please exclude the apps issue as those depend on developers not the OS unless there is something can be achieved/ done with IOS but not with Windows 10 M OS.

Windows 10 Mobile “work in progress”:

1. Universal apps ( a seamless, cross-platform experience “Phone/ PC/Tablet”).
2. Continuum (Connect to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard to use your Windows 10 phone like a PC).
3. DirectX 12 (Still to be seen).
4. Live Tile (OS core apps as well as apps from great WP developers works fine).
5. Direct reply to notification without having to open the app.
6. Pin your favorite contact, group, site, Youtuber, etc. to your start screen (in WhatsApp I pinned my Wife, Twitter Phil Spencer, YouTube Xbox Channel, People My brother, 6tag my son, Finance App my Watchlist, etc…).
7. Personalizing customizing your Start Screen.
8. Search in Setting.
9. Cortana integration with the OS, apps, web, etc.
10. Resizing Text in Setting, Apps, Browser, etc.
11. No more required to re-installed your apps when receiving OS’s Update.
12. Keyboard (can be resized and even moved around the screen).
13. Microsoft Edge
14. Apps upscaling display from small to bigger device.
15. You can watch Youtube video in up to 4K.
16. Searching for Apps/games in alphabetic.
17. All games available in one App aka Xbox app.
18. Tiles Group Folder.
19. Creating Photo Album.
20. File Explorer.
21. Upcoming event/to do list/note in Calendar to be shown before the Phone went totally off.
22. Resizing Tiles.
23. Photos app (folder view; OneDrive, This Device, Removable Disk).
24. Xbox Achievement (If you’re Xbox owner).
25. Using Microsoft account credit (If you’re Xbox owner).
26. SD Card support.
27. Call + SMS filtering.
28. One-handed use.
29. Skype integration with Phone, Messages and People (Skype Messaging/Video).
30. Stylus Support.
31. Windows Hello.
32. Can open a video in a website without leaving the page.

Please note; performance and bugs most if not all will be fixed by some tweaking in future (None of any others platforms had launched OS without bugs or performance issues).

Last edited:

junjunoori

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

Even I wanted to ask the same question after reading The Verge's review on iOS 9. Most of the features mentioned in the review are already present in Android or Windows and he also mentions in the review that you might be familiar if you are using Android or Windows. iOS9 also has battery saver option now, which we had from WP7. Except new features regarding hardware specific(3D Touch and Touch ID), I think the rest of the features are already in other OS.

Alternate to Touch ID for windows 10 is Windows Hello. Can Windows hello on W10M be used to open whatsapp, facebook etc if the developers implement it.(I want to lock few applications and want to open with Windows Hello).

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Things that iPhone has that WP doesn't:

3D Touch: iPhone 6s - 3D Touch - Apple

Taptic Engine: Watch Effect: Scaling up Apple's Taptic Engine for iPhone and iPad

Continuity and Handoff: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

TouchID: iPhone 6s - Technology - Apple

Focus Pixels, which sounds dumb, but is responsible for the blazing fast iPhone camera

Real mobile payments with TouchID: Apple*Pay - Apple

All of these put together make for a nice experience, and I'm leaving out a lot of neat little other things that iOS does. It's all very polished, and you can tell how important iOS is to Apple when you use it.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

I would want to make a quick mention. DirectX 12?? I f you look at the games on Android and IOS are much better looking, work better and the numbers are higher. So where is the benefit of DX12 here? where would be?developing mobile games on DX is a pain compared to OGL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

As I said this is to be seen, but saying the games look better on IOS/Android than WP is untrue. How you know is it a pain? When it comes to game SDK, I don't think MSFT will be beaten.
Please, go grab WP L1520 to play Age of Empire, Asphalt 8, Halo, Overkill, Mirecraft, Tiny Troopers then come to tell me your experience even my brother who's Apple fan has admitted that the graphic is much better in my L1520 than his iPhone6.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

Apps are so much better on iPhone. On Windows Phone are not up to date.
I cannot mute someotne on twitter, instagram does not have direct message, facebook messanger doesn't support calls. Viber and FB messanger are very slow at start.

Much less options and some apps are missing. I like keyboard apps.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

I would want to make a quick mention. DirectX 12?? I f you look at the games on Android and IOS are much better looking, work better and the numbers are higher. So where is the benefit of DX12 here? where would be?developing mobile games on DX is a pain compared to OGL.
Wrong DX is easier

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
MS ecosystem apps are better and more feature complete on iOS (and Android for that matter) plus they get updates and new releases for MS apps before Windows devices do. Also, iOS and Android get MS Garage apps which rarely make it to Windows devices.

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

Apps are so much better on iPhone. On Windows Phone are not up to date.
I cannot mute someotne on twitter, instagram does not have direct message, facebook messanger doesn't support calls. Viber and FB messanger are very slow at start.

Much less options and some apps are missing. I like keyboard apps.
We know the apps issue but we are talking about the OS

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
re:

Guys please don't not talk about apps situation and lets focus on the OS's features comparison

MS's stated policy is now to farm out OS features to 'apps' for more frequent and easier updates. To make comparisons as you suggest will be increasingly misleading and would disadvantage Windows devices in the equation.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

It's all very polished, and you can tell how important iOS is to Apple when you use it.

Indeed! You succinctly stated the iPhone experience.

I just picked up an iPhone 6 to use temporarily because of a promotion with Apple Pay and Discover. It isn't my daily driver, but I'm carrying it beside my main device. I am again reminded of just how smooth and premium iOS, and the iPhone itself for that matter, feel. And that's comparing it to my Nexus 6, which is about as good as it gets on Android.

I'll be the first to say that it isn't perfect. I have a couple little quibbles with it, such as the keyboard, but overall the experience is 2nd to none.

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

MS's stated policy is now to farm out OS features to 'apps' for more frequent and easier updates. To make comparisons as you suggest will be increasingly misleading and would disadvantage Windows devices in the equation.
As a developer you still has all the OS features, there's no OS hiccup will prevent you to implement those features in your app, if you want.
MSFT new approach/strategy has pros and cons, we'll see if it's going to be succeed of failed. My guess they just want to bring those missing (ignoring WP) to come to their platform aka one Windows by hoping the adaptation for Store to increase dramatically by Windows 10 users (PC, tablet, Phone, Xbox) which may lead developers to improve Windows users in their apps experience.

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
re:

1. 3D Touch: It's just released with new iPhone which will be available this coming Friday and will work only with a new hardware, although we know that MSFT are working in 3D Touch for phone but no one know yet if MSFT will add it to WP or not.
2. Tabtic Engine: from the link you're providing stating it's a rumour.
3.TouchID: I'd prefer not compromising my screen display for fingerprint which already supported by Windows, heck I'd prefer Windows Hello over it.
4. Camera: It's subjective because many will prefer Lumia camera over iPhone Camera for professional/good quality photo. However Lumia Camera has improved a lot when taking photo but I know it's still not fast as iPhone but this mainly due to its photo size which is much bigger than iPhone.
5. Pay with TouchID: It's good to have but I don't see it's something that would much effect the user experience, although it's not available for the majority of iPhone owners. MSFT & Google have their own option for payments.

Now go back to the above features I listed and tell me which of them will have more influence on phone users experiences & productivities.

FYI, that MSFT planning to release a phone in Q1 2016 has Intel chip inside.

Finally, lets see what MSFT bringing in their October 6th. Windows Devices Event at least then we'd be fair to judge

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

My two cents, having been using an "iPhone (5s) Pro" lately.

iOS has a lot more settings to play with, especially considering accessibility and such. (Mono audio, LED flash alerts, inverted colors)
Background App Refresh is something Windows Phone does not have.

iOS allows direct notification manipulation from the lockscreen, although it doesn't have that flexibility in the notification center.
It has Widgets under Today, not unlike Windows Mobile's Today screen.

Siri, although still behind Cortana and GNow in terms of proactivity, it suggests people.

Apps are generally more fleshed out.

(something I noticed was no Data Sense equivalent, just a meter) But it can toggle cellular data for individual apps.
Notifications have the option for intrusive alerts a la Calendar or discreet banners, oddly enough we can't set custom sounds for apps. (I don't have to wait for an app to push a notification first too)

Safari now has the option for Adblockers. (see Crystal for example - haven't used it yet though.) Safari also seems better than IE.

Facebook integration still doesn't seem to connect to Contacts as much as it did in People so I miss that. (no profile pictures are contact photos it seems)

iOS gets to enjoy better MS apps sooner, (well, better all apps sooner) but whether its going to remain the case (for just MS) after Windows 10 Mobile drops remains to be seen.

Touch ID is spoiling me. Low light camera functionality isn't the best though.

Camera app has filters, and some bells and whistles (like slo-mo) depending on the phone, but no manual controls by default.

I miss the dark theme without jailbreaking, the ability to reach into OneDrive or other online sources for photos to use in apps, easy video loading (iTunes is a pain with that), Readit in comparison to Alien Blue, People, both Groove Music and CorePlayer, but I found Marvis, which works well. (Apple Music got on my nerves)

The ringer switch is much appreciated. I loved it on my Pre 2, I love it now. Always missed it on my 920.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

Now go back to the above features I listed and tell me which of them will have more influence on phone users experiences & productivities.

You wanted a list of features that iPhone/iOS has over Windows. That is a legit list and probably missing a few things like dedicated mute switch. Don't go changing the conversation as to whether you think they're worthwhile or not.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

As I said this is to be seen, but saying the games look better on IOS/Android than WP is untrue. How you know is it a pain in the ****? When it comes to game SDK, I don't think MSFT will be beaten.
Please, go grab WP L1520 to play Age of Empire, Asphalt 8, Halo, Overkill, Mirecraft, Tiny Troopers then come to tell me your experience even my brother who's Apple fan has admitted that the graphic is much better in my L1520 than his iPhone6.

I have a 1520 and a 6 Plus, and out of the games you mention, I've only played Halo and Asphalt 8 on both phones to compare.

Halo looks the same on both phones, and Asphalt 8 looks way better and even plays better on the iPhone. Asphalt 8 was updated with Apple's Metal graphics, and it has cool visuals like flaming burnouts & stuff.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb