What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Features are nice and Apple certain has a lot of them. They have done a great job of starting with a solid foundation and year after year iterating on that, making their products better and better. MS ha some great feature too and will be binging more, but on these features, its going to be a while.

As for iOS, those features come with a price. A monetary price (only an iPhone has iOS and they are very expensive), but they also require you to buy into an all-Apple world. Continuity is great, but only if you also have a MAC. Air Play is great, but only if you have an Apple TV. These are great solutions, but not everyone is willing to sell out completely to one company for everything. The world MS is building is not like this. Its using more open standards that give you more choices. You have an Xbox or other miracast/dlna capable device hooked to your TV, you can choose what you want and use it.

Also, features only matter if you actually will use them. A large number of people never do. What I have always liked and preferred about WP is the focus on the core experience - the things we all are in and out of hourly on our phones. I'm frustrated from time to time by the constant resets and loss of features, but every time I start looking at iOS or Android with all their apps and features, the core experience of WP brings me back. Obviously others will make other choices for different reasons.

Hi.

A couple of notes. I don't understand what you mean by Core features. But I agree that having a great app launcher is a must and MS tile based system is something of a genius. Very nice. Having said this I spend more time in apps then in the start screen and that is a problem.

I'm the kind of person that thinks that $600 or 600 Euros is a frontier to the law of diminished returns when it comes to Smartphones. I also think that Apple is being petty with the 16GB this time around. It not that I feel that its customers are entitled to that to more memory for the same price, but is more so a question of consumer trust that the company will try to give customer overall the best price for the features it provides. I don't think in this case Apple following this idea as it did on iPhone 3GS that came out at $599. That is bad.

I understand that features only matter if people use them. But if you consider the market of accessories such as Airplay enabled speakers and home theaters, multimedia docking station and so on, I bet the number of people interested and using it is not as small as you may think. In fact I would attribute the boom of services such as Spotify to these features as it reinforces these kinds of services.

But here is the opportunity. Windows does not have to come up with all the features to do well if it does not try to go head to head with Apple in terms of device prices. Any Windows Phone should cost at most $150 euros less then an iPhone to stand a chance for fast adoption as well as keeping with the quality of the device. I don't understand how I can buy a Lumia 930, an excellent well built piece of kit for something between 250 and 350 and then buy a comparatively cheap plastic Windows Phone the 640XL for 250. I don't understand how the Lumia 930 can cost these values today and when it came a year ago it cost over $600. For me as a Customer is quite confusing, I just don't get it. Its speculative.

Wouldn't it be better if MS did what Apple is doing, That is lower the price of last year flagships and keep them up to date and launch new flagships, rather then having the Lumia 700 and 800 device range?

Here is another one I don't get. You are quite correct that to take the most out of an iDevice ou need a Mac, in particular with Continuity. This is annoying since Mac aren't fluent in the market as Windows is. But imagine if MS implemented these features between Windows Phones and Windows PC's, leaving Android out. Would you blame them? Wouldn't this make more sense then marketing a new smartphone that can work like a PC suggesting that it can replace it, instead of working better together? If MS came now with the ability to stream XBOX One games to a Windows Phone, Windows Phone only, would you blame them? Wouldn't this resonate more with the young generation that Continuum for Windows Phones?

The state of Windows Phone little todo with lack of knowledge from customers, lack of marketing, Apple stealing ideas or mindless customers. It has simple todo with bad product management. Just that, A company the resources and power of MS we can conclude this. Nothing else.

You mention that MS does not implement an effective alternative to Airplay as it wants to support standards such as Miracast and DLNA. Look, from the point of usability and reliance this tech does not cut it. MS in past as deviated from standards to develop its own vision so?

Honestly, why spend time and resources in Continuum for Windows Phones when something like above would be IMHO far more marketable, avoiding embarrassing presentations such as the one given by Joe Belfiori on this theme?

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Groove Music needs to be able to sync the locally-stored files from your collection the same way Zune did. Until they sort that out Apple will always be able to point to iTunes as a glaring reason to choose an iPhone. At this point Windows Phone isn't even on their radar but if it ever reaches the point where it is they'd better ensure Groove Music is as "Zunish" as possible.

Think of walking a customer through the process of getting the music from their computer onto a Windows 10 Mobile phone vs and iPhone today. You couldn't do it without stopping a few times during your Windows Phone demo and saying "it's not finished". It needs to be at the point where you can confidently demo windows phone without saying a word.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I have the HTC One M8 Windows 8.1 Update 1 Phone with 128GB MicroSD Card. The reason why I bought it because I thought it was a reasonable decent phone: Full HD screen, MicroSD expandability, Nice HTC high Bass Boom sound. The 4 "ULTRAMEGAPIXEL" camera is ok-takes decent pictures but I don't use my cell phone to take good pictures, I use my DSLR camera to take good pictures. I don't even take videos. I don't care too much about apps, just basic things like: GPS, Music, Online radio, web surfing, Netflix for movies, Youtube subscriptions, Facebook. I don't even use it to play games, although it has decent specs to play games. I have had it since march, and I have to say the main thing that is crippling this phone is Microsoft themselves. There mobile support is an absolute embarrassment. In bare bones, the OS is functional, stable, smooth, but it is terribly under polished, has no cool features like Apple or perhaps even google. The lack of apps is also something that is crippling this phone but talking about that is like beating a dead horse. The problem also is the lack of support from MS themselves for there own apps: Music, MS Office. Trying to create playlist on the phone is a disaster (doesn't recognize it). The apps feel like beta-bare bones: not polished or updated. I got this phone for trying to unify the ecosystem for my home use: Win 8.1 tablet, Desktop, Phone (now upgraded to 10), just feels rigid with multistep process instead of being smooth, fluid, integrated, seamless. Hearing peoples experience with Win10 mobile makes me feel hopeless: Bring back the features of 8.1 and put it back in windows 10, Stop making it crash.

What is the point of all this feed back? I think we are giving them so many good ideas and so much feedback for windows 10 in general and what we are getting is constant unfinished features by taking away old features. It seems like they are so indecisive and throwing buggy experimentations. Does IOS9 have feedback support like the MS suggestions website and app?

Despite all of this: Windows 10 just got released, Win 10 mobile is a technical preview only for insiders who want to participate. They have an event on October 6th that will show the new phones with new hardware, so things are going to get better.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Groove Music needs to be able to sync the locally-stored files from your collection the same way Zune did. Until they sort that out Apple will always be able to point to iTunes as a glaring reason to choose an iPhone. At this point Windows Phone isn't even on their radar but if it ever reaches the point where it is they'd better ensure Groove Music is as "Zunish" as possible.

Think of walking a customer through the process of getting the music from their computer onto a Windows 10 Mobile phone vs and iPhone today. You couldn't do it without stopping a few times during your Windows Phone demo and saying "it's not finished". It needs to be at the point where you can confidently demo windows phone without saying a word.
With an iPhone you're forced to use a computer. With Android, Windows Phone or BlackBerry you can have your music on a memory card and swap devices to your heart's content. Oh that's right, no SD support. Never had it, probably never will. Even if you're on a device without SD support Windows 10 for Mobile is going to have USB-OTG. Have jump drive, will travel.

Sent from HP Elitebook 2730p on Tapatalk

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The one....Most Important thing that Windows Mobile doesn't have....Support from the US Carriers!

If Microsoft does nothing else, aside from finalizing W10M, is to either make the Windows 10 Mobile handsets universal, or establish a relationship with a couple of the top tier carriers, this includes Marketing, Support and Training. I think the 640 "Launch" proves my point.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^Every app? Outlook is a joke on iOS and that's just for starters. The OP said features, let's stay on topic.

Sent from my BlackBerry Classic on Tapatalk

redmisfitx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re:

I have a 1520 and a 6 Plus, and out of the games you mention, I've only played Halo and Asphalt 8 on both phones to compare.

Halo looks the same on both phones, and Asphalt 8 looks way better and even plays better on the iPhone. Asphalt 8 was updated with Apple's Metal graphics, and it has cool visuals like flaming burnouts & stuff.

That is due to the amount of resources allocated to each platform. A software firm will undoubtedly spend most of its time polishing their iOS version, then Android and whatever time is left is devoted to Windows Mobile. Now I keep hearing the openGL is better than DX argument thrown around with no basis. OpenGL has come a long way, but even when compared against DX11, DX comes out on top. The lack of performance or quality on a Windows Mobile/Phone game is due to the developer's lack of interest in the platform and nothing else.

Gagan997

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

The main Alarm app , which is not app actually and a part of OS ,the missing feature is that i wont find any option for quick alarm like for 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins directly rather than i have to set time , its worst for me .

Robinator

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This is about apps...

The key thing that Apple has over Microsoft is that they have customers who are prepared to pay for apps. Why is this important?

Because developers who love writing apps, and have great pride in their apps, and can be paid full time to do work on them, will perfect their apps.

Apple customers are prepared to pay for their s/w = happy high quality development.

Compare this to the Windows app store. It is full of trashy third rate junk that looked as if it was designed late one afternoon and published the next day.

It does not have to be like this. Consider Wunderlist for example -- a totally great looking and functioning app. And then look at NextGen Reader which is functionally great but the fonts are ugly as hell on a small tablet.

Gagan997

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

and i forget to tell you that if you are from india, you are not allowed to buy apps if you donot have credit card , because there is only one option to pay for pro. apps i.e credit card and there isnot any place or online website where you can buy gift cards in india for microsoft store , even in their welcome program microsoft use to provide coupon for flipkarts rather than their own appstore , Rip Microsoft .

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

But I'll add one more point. One thing that does not do however even in iPhone 4S, at least I have not seen it yet, is complete system reboot for no reason. That happens to me almost every week with my Lumia 620. I put up with it because it cost me 200 euros approximately when I bought it 6 months ago.

Where did you get a 620 so expensive? When I bought mine 2 years ago, I paid less than that and 6 months ago it had alerady dropped to about 100?. :|
Regarding random restarts on the 620, I only get them once a few months not every week

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
One feature I find lacking in W10 Mobile that has been present on IOS for years now is "assistive touch" - the ability to have virtual navigation buttons (home, search and back). Sure, there are not on screen buttons on phones such as Lumia 640 etc, but for people with faulty capacitive buttons, this feature will definitely extend the live of their phones. When the iPhone's home bottom becomes faulty, their users can toggle on assistive touch and benefit greatly from this feature.

Raja Venkatesh R

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My 1 cent...
I'm using Windows phone since the invent of iMate Pocket PC - 2004. Leave comparing other OS for now. Please bring back features of Windows Phone 4 in Windows 10 Mobile. I want to have a fax app to receive fax, sign and send back as fax which I had in 2004 and in 2015 we have dropped so many such features. I was able to set different UI for each caller in contact. Now... No.
Next, every one says it is lack of interest from developers to build windows mobile app. It is definitely wrong. It is completely MS fault. To develop a Windows 8 mobile app one needs Windows 8 PC. Almost entire world and Enterprises never even thought of moving away from Windows 7 as of date (28-Sep-2015). Next Windows 7 does not support HyperV to install Windows 8 and develop for Windows 8 Phones. This is another biggest bottleneck. So we could not even think of any app to be built...
Big players like Truecaller, facebook, etc. do not have first class development and support for Windows platform. Till date TrueCaller in WinPhone does not tell me who is this unknown caller while that feature works in other OSs.
We have enormous amount of enterprise tools and apps which can be built as windows universal apps which are currently in Excel form. Having these tools converted to Windows platform itself will be a big list. For this "sideloading" has to be accepted in enterprise environment. Here little known/understood issue is Microsoft does not provide a comprehensive security/antivirus system. Defender works for desktops and you need security center for server environment. In Enterprises we have Linux, Ubuntu, Xen, etc which all don't even participate in AD let alone the antivirus from Microsoft.
Ok... This list goes bigger. In short it is MS who has to look beyond its own environment to have a comprehensive coverage. .NET for non windows platforms is a good start. Universal Apps is another good start. High time to give a Visual Studio version which works in Windows 7 with which we can build Windows 10 universal app will be a killer and we need it sooner than ever. You must understand at home we have already converted to Windows 10 PCs. At office it is still Windows 7 and it is here we spend > 80% of our living time....

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't live in 2004 any more.

What people seem to have forgotten is that many features of Windows 10 have come from user requests - either through the uservoice pages or the feeback app that's been built into Windows 10 from the start. Microsoft read those requests and consider using them based on numbers of requests. There's very few people these days who are requesting faxes. There's very few people who want the look of the UI to change based on what contact you're dealing with (people are generally happy with personalised ring and SMS tones). But, if you want things, you need to vote for them...

As regards Windows 8 and development, enterprises have enterprise licencing which enables them to build virtual development boxes. Even though their physical computers may be Windows 7, they'll be developing in virtual environments. Arguing that Windows 8 is limiting development in corporate environments doesn't really hold water.

And you can't blame Microsoft for other developers being too apathetic to develop for Windows 10 - Microsoft has done a huge amount to make like easy when it comes to porting code from Android to Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb