What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

bulutsuzgece

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
*There is no permission for 3rd party alternatives to system apps (lockscreen apps, video-call apps, vpn changer (zenmate-type) apps, etc, etc)

*Still there is no "via-Bluetooth option" in sharing settings unless you go and open that option first(what a pity!).
(There must be Via-bluetooth option in default choices and when we chose "via-bluetooth", it must be turned on automatically! Is it really hard to make this real!!!)

*Still a lot of "loading" screens!

I think Microsoft Mobile crew look at some WP news portals and forums like WindowsCentral and see what their users want!

Insider program may be successful for PC version but it's really a complete fiasco for Mobile after 8 months!
Users had no time for their requests and suggestions about new and most-wanted features for the system, because of crappy builds.
Due to broken builds, insider feedbacks're full of complaints about issues, problems etc. instead of new-feature suggests.

After 8 months, MS took barely a long way, even go nowhere except some minor basic additions to the system!

I'm really upset! And if MS continue to go so slowly for the system, I'll think about to buy a device which runs Android or iOS on Christmas.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like this thread has turned into yet another rant against Windows 10 Mobile (Technical Preview).

Can we get back onto the original topic please (discussing what iOS has/does better than W10M). General W10M rants can be added to one of the many rant threads that already exist.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
*There is no permission for 3rd party alternatives to system apps (lockscreen apps, video-call apps, vpn changer (zenmate-type) apps, etc, etc)

*Still there is no "via-Bluetooth option" in sharing settings unless you go and open that option first(what a pity!).
(There must be Via-bluetooth option in default choices and when we chose "via-bluetooth", it must be turned on automatically! Is it really hard to make this real!!!)

*Still a lot of "loading" screens!

I think Microsoft Mobile crew look at some WP news portals and forums like WindowsCentral and see what their users want!

Insider program may be successful for PC version but it's really a complete fiasco for Mobile after 8 months!
Users had no time for their requests and suggestions about new and most-wanted features for the system, because of crappy builds.
Due to broken builds, insider feedbacks're full of complaints about issues, problems etc. instead of new-feature suggests.

After 8 months, MS took barely a long way, even go nowhere except some minor basic additions to the system!

I'm really upset! And if MS continue to go so slowly for the system, I'll think about to buy a device which runs Android or iOS on Christmas.

Exactly my thoughts. There are so many such small yet annoying things with WP. And its a shame that no one is interested in rectifying these and polishing the os. Whats the use of hifi gimmiks like 3d touch, continum if such simple stuff is so complicated? Users here straightway stamp you iOS/android ****** n ignore rather than accepting the facts.
I was a Nokia (symbian) ****** to begin with. WP was appealing when I saw it. But more i use it, more such problems irritate me. Recently switched to android (zenfone 2). Its damn cheap, very fluid, no lags atall. And more importantly received 4 firmware updates in just 1 and half month of purchase. It has clearly improved and ironed out the user experience. Even without a single 3rd party app installed, its way too fluid, user friendly and has so many features. I just received 2 firmware updates for lumia 925 in 2 years and none for lumia 730 in 6 months. None improved any user experience noticebly or rectified the above problems, leave alone adding features.
I do not want to argue or support anyone or any OS. But just the facts what I see.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Another apologist. No wonder MS is at 2.7%
Read my sig, I use BlackBerry. I don't need to apologize for anything I don't create myself. But that doesn't change the fact that Outlook on iOS is the most feature-deprived of all the major OSes. If you have nothing to contribute to this particular thread, kindly move on.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Airplay? No sure if someone mentioned that. People like iTunes sending to an AppleTV to play music and even when the phone turns off it reportedly still plays (no idea I don't have one).

Contrast this to Miracast which stops on screen lock. Or Cast To which all appears a bit vague and unfinished today.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Read my sig, I use BlackBerry. I don't need to apologize for anything I don't create myself. But that doesn't change the fact that Outlook on iOS is the most feature-deprived of all the major OSes. If you have nothing to contribute to this particular thread, kindly move on.

Ever heard of tap to pay? Have fun w your blackberry

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

That is going to keep happening, look at live photos on the 6s, been on Lumias for a while, another feature that has 'now' been invented by apple, there are bloggers and reviewers all around the world spreading it like gospel, it's the second coming of pictures!
Live Photos vs Living Images is a PERFECT encapsulation of iOS vs WP.
My Lumia Icon took Living Images, and it was pretty neat. However, it was 100% USELESS because NOT even the DEFAULT PHOTO APP on WP could DISPLAY them!!! How insane is that? When I looked in Photos they showed as regular images. I turned the feature off because NOBODY else but me, and ONLY if I opened the camera and went to the preview function there AND opened the picture (meaning I had to leave the picture and come back to it just to see the animation!) could I even use it. yes, there were additional apps I could have used maybe but nothing was created in the OS to make these pictures useful for easily viewing or sharing.

And now, iOS has it, and it seems to me it can actually be used.

I can't think of a better way to compare iOS vs WP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ever heard of tap to pay? Have fun w your blackberry
Yes, I've heard of tap to pay. It's low on my list of priorities right along with a root canal or a prostate exam. What's your point if you have one? I use BlackBerry because it suits my NEEDS better than any other device. Since you are hell-bent on starting another thread let me throw these tidbits at you.

USB-OTG - BB yes, iOS no
Security - BB yes, iOS....I'll let Jennifer Lawrence answer that one
Bluetooth FTP - BB yes, iOS no
SMB File Sharing - BB yes, iOS no
Remote PC Access on mobile network - BB yes, iOS no

Have fun with your app launcher.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
6. Pin your favorite contact, group, site, Youtuber, etc. to your start screen (in WhatsApp I pinned my Wife, Twitter Phil Spencer, YouTube Xbox Channel, People My brother, 6tag my son, Finance App my Watchlist, etc?).

This was my favorite feature in 8.0/8.1. However, pinning a contact does absolutely nothing useful in WP10 other than showing an animation of them spinning. I have my hopes up and I complain about it because if the People app does not improve it will be one of the main reasons I give up on WP.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I've heard of tap to pay. It's low on my list of priorities right along with a root canal or a prostate exam. What's your point if you have one? I use BlackBerry because it suits my NEEDS better than any other device. Since you are hell-bent on starting another thread let me throw these tidbits at you.

USB-OTG - BB yes, iOS no
Security - BB yes, iOS....I'll let Jennifer Lawrence answer that one
Bluetooth FTP - BB yes, iOS no
SMB File Sharing - BB yes, iOS no
Remote PC Access on mobile network - BB yes, iOS no

Have fun with your app launcher.

Apps - BB10 no, W10M no, iOS yes

Let's play nice... BB10 and W10M is in pretty similar boats, being underdogs.

(PS: My daily drivers are a Q10 and a Passport, and I have a pre-order in for three Privs, so I like BlackBerry for the physical keyboard and the productivity suite. But, I am also a Windows 10 Mobile fan. Well, actually it is continuum that I believe in, once we get phones with Intel processors so I can ditch my Surface Pro and just dock my phone at work and home.)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Live Photos vs Living Images is a PERFECT encapsulation of iOS vs WP.
My Lumia Icon took Living Images, and it was pretty neat. However, it was 100% USELESS because NOT even the DEFAULT PHOTO APP on WP could DISPLAY them!!! How insane is that? When I looked in Photos they showed as regular images. I turned the feature off because NOBODY else but me, and ONLY if I opened the camera and went to the preview function there AND opened the picture (meaning I had to leave the picture and come back to it just to see the animation!) could I even use it. yes, there were additional apps I could have used maybe but nothing was created in the OS to make these pictures useful for easily viewing or sharing.

And now, iOS has it, and it seems to me it can actually be used.

I can't think of a better way to compare iOS vs WP.

Apple actually goes the extra steps to make things work effortlessly and market them. Live images on Lumias never left the experimental stage.

Last edited:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think that IOS's app ecosystem is part of its features! Its one part that draws consumers is app availability! Its not the main part but to me its a feature that is available on IOS . All phones can call text and surf the web.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think that IOS's app ecosystem is part of its features! Its one part that draws consumers is app availability! Its not the main part but to me its a feature that is available on IOS . All phones can call text and surf the web.

Features are functionality a phone supports natively. Like fingerprint reader or iris scanner. Things natively built in to the hardware or OS. The point OP is asking is not for a massive list of apps that we all know exists, he's asking for the feature list differences.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
MS ecosystem apps are better and more feature complete on iOS (and Android for that matter) plus they get updates and new releases for MS apps before Windows devices do. Also, iOS and Android get MS Garage apps which rarely make it to Windows devices.

+1 The MS apps on both iOS and Android are much better than the same apps on Windows Phone. I'm talking core apps like Outlook, OneDrive, Photos, Office Mobile, Skype. If someone wants the best of both worlds (iOS & MS) then iOS is better than WP and if someone wants the best of Google/MS then Android is better for those services than Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786