What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Features are functionality a phone supports natively. Like fingerprint reader or iris scanner. Things natively built in to the hardware or OS. The point OP is asking is not for a massive list of apps that we all know exists, he's asking for the feature list differences.
Maybe for you but im not going for IOS cause of finger print scanner or staying with WP for an iris scanner ....its the apps both os have similar " features" for me having all the apps ( once again) that seem to work " natively" with the os is an awesome " feature" that's drawing me to IOS. Read all the comments on this thread ..having all the apps in the world seem to be a " feature" for many that is missing on wp.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe for you but im not going for IOS cause of finger print scanner or staying with WP for an iris scanner ....its the apps both os have similar " features" for me having all the apps ( once again) that seem to work " natively" with the os is an awesome " feature" that's drawing me to IOS. Read all the comments on this thread ..having all the apps in the world seem to be a " feature" for many that is missing on wp.

What are you doing here then? Clearly the most "featured" phone by your standard is Android. Second would be iPhone (despite having better quality but fewer apps) and perhaps Blackberry would be third as it has all the Android apps too, followed by Windows phone with probably the least available apps. And ironically a crappy little $40 Android phone would be 'more featured' than the iPhone or Lumia 930 as it has more apps.

No, apps are not phone features.

ayngling

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
It's not about apps, it's about features. Pleeeeease let us know how that Priv works out.

Sure fair point, this thread is about features, not apps, I guess I keep forgetting that, as I strongly believe that most people rarely choose iOS or Android for the features. Both BlackBerry 10 and Windows 10 Mobile have all the features they need for most people, so comparing mobile OSes on features feel mostly academic from a market share perspective (yet interesting for us on this forum, absolutely). In my mind it is all about the local apps, such as apps for all the local banks. That is the real challenge in becoming a relevant choice for the general consumer.

Yeah, the Priv looks like awesome hardware, I just wish it had an Intel processor and ran Windows 10 Mobile! I will be carrying a Lumia 950 as well, gotta try continuum. Oh, and I am really looking forward to BlackBerry porting their productivity suite to Windows as promised.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What are you doing here then? Clearly the most "featured" phone by your standard is Android. Second would be iPhone (despite having better quality but fewer apps) and perhaps Blackberry would be third as it has all the Android apps too, followed by Windows phone with probably the least available apps. And ironically a crappy little $40 Android phone would be 'more featured' than the iPhone or Lumia 930 as it has more apps.

No, apps are not phone features.
I never said apps are the phone's features but an os feature! Because certain Lumias have better features than other Lumias im talking about the os as is the op. And I'm not saying lumias have no features either! The best cameras,great battery and durable! But its the lack of apps im needing,dev support,devices in store that I'm crabbed about.and for me having all the apps I want and need is what I see as a feature on IOS im attracted to along with plenty of premium devices and to give it to ms these new flagships coming out look really nice,way better spec than iPhones but its obvious its not just the specs for me

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I never said apps are the phone's features but an os feature! Because certain Lumias have better features than other Lumias im talking about the os as is the op. And I'm not saying lumias have no features either! The best cameras,great battery and durable! But its the lack of apps im needing,dev support,devices in store that I'm crabbed about.and for me having all the apps I want and need is what I see as a feature on IOS im attracted to along with plenty of premium devices and to give it to ms these new flagships coming out look really nice,way better spec than iPhones but its obvious its not just the specs for me

I understand apps are important to users. And yes, this feature is better on some phones than others. But the OS and hardware have a lot more features than just app quality and what is important is a personal thing. For some, apps is the number one feature requirement in which case Windows phone is probably not for them. I know the iPhone is a really nice phone and great hardware. As is the Samsung Galaxy Edge which to me looks even premium. It will be interesting to see what the new 950's feel like in the hand and perform like. The competition has set a high bar without even talking about apps. Personally the camera is the #1 feature. I'm hoping these bring a great camera that bests the iPhone like my old 920 beat the iPhone a few years ago bringing OIS. I can only dream. But that will likely define my phone future.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Re:

WE just need app locker & call recorder in windows 10 mobile ; rest everything is there .

Pease tell me how this "app locker" should work.

In W8.1 you have app corner, and kids corner.
and the way I understand, this is a superior way to make apps or games available to others "playing" with your phone without the risk them messing up your phone......

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pease tell me how this "app locker" should work.

This is how it generally goes. Someone with particularly untrustworthy friends give their phones to their friends to play with without close supervision. Said friends then immediately start poking around in personal emails/photos/WhatsApp/whatever and causing mayhem. The owners of the phones therefore want to be able to have their apps protected with their own PIN codes that prevent this from happening.

I don't really get it either.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re:

This is how it generally goes. Someone with particularly untrustworthy friends give their phones to their friends to play with without close supervision. Said friends then immediately start poking around in personal emails/photos/WhatsApp/whatever and causing mayhem. The owners of the phones therefore want to be able to have their apps protected with their own PIN codes that prevent this from happening.

I don't really get it either.

Sounds like time for new friends...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
In general. Microsoft makes something cool and innovative but they don't put in the last little bit if effort to polish it off and then they remove it the next version release. Apple makes something cool and they find a way to get people using it.

Stevebez

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Re:

What does iOS has that W10M doesn't?

Consistent design

By what standard did you come up with this?

Smooth operation

Nope. not a chance. If you think iOS is smoother than WP 8.1 / W10M, I will happily loan you my 5c for a couple days. It can't even figure out how to reliably download a software update.

Faster Siri

Being faster only matters if you are as useful. Also, Siri is still a stupid name, and always will be.

"Action Center" at the bottom

"Action Center" at the top, so ... ?

Better ram management therefore better multitasking

This is simply not true at all.

Swipe to close 3 apps at a time
Available now : Slow motion video

Wow. So. Exciting. These are definitely major, major features that everyone will use all the time. Especially the slow motion video. I don't know how I ever lived without it. Oh wait, that's right, for most purposes slow motion video is a gimmick. Also, if you can shoot at 60fps, just slow it down in editing.

Dramatically better app ecosystem and developers that leverage hardware and APIs.

That's not really relevant to the subject of this thread, but I will give it to you. However, the apps that most people use are there.

Metal API instead of OpenGL 3 (forgot the name for mobile exactly) or DirectX11.

That is a technical difference, and is not directly of interest to the typical end user.

Smoother and prettier animations
MORE animations. The OS is generally more pleasant to use.

100% subjective. I personally find WP 8.1 to have the most visually pleasing interface I have ever seen. It's simple, elegant, and isn't saddled with bad U.I. design decisions that were made in 2006. It is also overwhelmingly more customize-able, and is far better at providing information to the user.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a long line of Windows Mobile > Windows Phone > WM10 beta builds to iOS as of last week. Here is what iOS has that WM totally does not:
- Family sharing: I buy an app, my family can install it for free. Share location between family members. Allow me to approve my son's app downloads / any purchases
- Restrictions in phone, of various kinds.
- iMessage - free texting between any two people with iPhones
- Extensibility. I installed ad-blocker for the web browser. Also have an alternative keyboard running (albeit because I find the default keyboard lacking when compared to Windows Phone one)
- Yeah, no matter what it is - there is an app for that

That's not to say everything is great in iOS land for me. But that's a different story.

Talal Al Reyami

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
People in Windows 10 will and should be improved because here you are not only talking about Windows 10 Mobile but Windows 10 PC which MSFT will do their best to improve Windows 10 users experience.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
One of the big ones for me is full device backup and restore. With iOS you can save several backups to iCloud or to your PC, and completely restore your phone (or even a newer model) to the exact same state at any time. .
But it is pretty much the same with Windows, you can have multiple devices backup-ed to your one drive and multiple backups of the same device and you can easily manage them from your windows account so I see no problems here...

With WP there are so many things that need to be set up again after a restore, and WP for some weird reason decides only to keep the last backup, with no way to get back to any older states (like a working WP8 backup..).
They only thing you need to do is to reinstall apps, all other things works just fine? At least it is the case with my 930, as a matter of fact there is a problem with latest TP build, I lost all of my custom ringtones, but it is quite respectable when you are using not fully backed software...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99