Windows 10 Mobile vs. Windows Phone 8.1

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
At this stage we almost know how win 10 will look like and what are the features . So are your expectations fulfilled or squashed ? Personally speaking 8.1 looked much better than Win 10 with bold colors and thick gap in-between tiles and big fonts . What you all think ?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile FTW. Better in every way for me.

Can't see myself going back to WP8.1 now.

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
on my L640Xl the fonts look so tiny. MS should give a choice to choose font size . I liked the previous wallpapers more too :p

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Its hard to fairly compare the two when windows 10 mobile isnt finished. I remember when everyone wasn't happy with Windows 8.1

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Not much difference in 8.1 and 10 at this point I think.10 looks nicer and there are some noticeable enhancements in settings and personalisation.I personally prefer 8.1 update 2 on my 640 presently,but when 10 is complete,it will be much nicer,but we still need some more features

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
W10M looks like WP 8.1 if someone took a shovel to it and rearranged what was left. Just a total downgrade in terms of presentation and usability which was one of the reasons I switched from Android to WP. The start screen resembles one of those badly done WP style launchers you see on the Play Store. The tiles are now cramped and phone icon looks ripped straight from iOS. The settings page also looks like the one on my Android phone from 4 years ago. No originality whatsoever. The animations or lack of just suck. One of the trademarks of WP was the fluidity and quickness of the transitions. W10M has none of that. Maybe the final version will be a huge difference in quality but I doubt it. What you see at this point is basically what you'll get. Cropped circle profile pictures, awkwardly placed hamburger menus and badly designed wireframe icons. W10M may have some cool features but the new design language (or lack of) and compromised UI is a big disappointment.

The only thing I can say that I like is the keyboard. The different shades of gray on the keys are nicely arranged. I'm not a fan of the thinner and hard to see fonts but it's still clean and resembles WP.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
After about 5 days using W10M (build 10540) as a daily driver for the first time (was only testing before sparingly), I really can't say the difference is really that big - just tweaks and refinement, and I have no particular preference either way.

What I do appreciate greatly is now that W10 Mobile and W10 Desktop taken together as a whole looks VERY consistent - that wasn't the case with WP8.1 and Windows 8.1. I actually feel more in control and familiar now moving between Mobile and Desktop - little things like the Settings app being the same so that I don't have to memorize yet another layout is just so liberating.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion everything in Windows 10 Mobile is lot better than Windows Phone 8.1, only some bugs and performance issues, hopefully they will resolve them before release.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion everything in Windows 10 Mobile is lot better than Windows Phone 8.1, only some bugs and performance issues, hopefully they will resolve them before release.
Yeah, I can't even imagine myself switching back to 8.1, no way, no matter how buggy it is going to be I will stuck with :D

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The diversity of opinions, here, says a lot.

Agreed.

On that note, is it possible to like what Windows 10 mobile is offering, but not the look of it? I'll probably come around but right now, I'm unsure if I'll want to get a phone with Windows 10 mobile, over keeping something like a 640, and having the option to roll back to 8.1 if I don't like it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile FTW. Better in every way for me.

Can't see myself going back to WP8.1 now.
Wish I could say that. I have a 1520.3 and the current M10 release says Hey Cortana is not supported. It says Gestures are not supported. It won't let you attach a contact to a text, it won't let you remove a picture from a text before sending if you grabbed the wrong one, text announcing won't stop asking if you want it read or ignored even after you opened the text, etc, etc..

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The only reason to prefer W10M over WP8.1 is if you like Android phones.

Microsoft state openly that they have abandoned much of the innovative user interface and design language of WP8.1, and moved the W10M UI towards a more traditional iOS and Android look-and-feel. This is because they want developers to port their apps from those platforms to W10M, and fundamentally different UI elements make that process much harder.

I hate W10M as a result. If I wanted an Android look-alike I'd buy a real Android phone. Why on earth would I buy a Windows phone if it is deliberately styled to look and work like Android?

I was excited about W10M but now I've gone back to WP8.1, which I love, and it looks like my next phone might as well be Android. :crying:

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
After using WM10 on my daily driver for almost 2 months, I have decided to go back to 8.1, as my 2.5y old Lumia 520 was behaving old with WM10, quick battery drain, a lot of hanging, loading issue.

But after going back to 8.1 my Lumia got new life!! super fast then any android, battery after 2.5y life still gives more that 1.5day, easy to use, its so simple even someone from non smartphone age can handle it.

I will wait for MS to release final WM10, then only I will decide again to update, till then sorry WM10.

Yeah I know i will miss a lot of features but those are useless if your mobile hangs a lot, quick battery drain etc.

So I need to compromise for some features as it is my main phone.

Vaibhav Mittal3

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
More features off-course as everyone can see already in WM10 than 8.1. That's a plus.

Using latest build 10536 on Lumia 730.

Too many performance issues and Lag everywhere even when entering in Dialpad. Just managing with it but surely not a daily driver.
Good that we can change the background now.
Setting menu better now organized.

Maps always by default downloaded to internal memory. Didn't find anyway yet to change this or move them on SD card.
Font size too small in Start menu. Major concern for me.
Lock screen loading time issue still haunting. This should be fixed on top priority as that's the first thing to do.

Waiting for new builds with some basic improvements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism