APKs working on Windows 10 mobile: I'm down with that now!

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've changed my mind. At first, when there was rumours of Android apps working on Windows Phone (still called like that at the time) I wasn't happy. I was afraid that people wouldn't bother getting Windows Phones, that apps would stop being created for Windows Phone, that the OS' unicity would disapear.

Now with Windows 10 Mobile, I've changed my mind. Here's why:

- Windows 10 Mobile has pretty much done away with the old design language that was inherited from Zune. It's been rewritten and, although I wasn't sure I liked it at first, I'm actually disapointed to have had to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 until the stable version comes out (because I didn't like the bugs remaining). But given the design language is gone, Android apps will go nicely with the new design.

- It gives people the choice. I don't want to use iOS or Android. I don't like them and find them quite boring. But there are apps that I need on these platforms that either don't exist on Windows or the 3rd party apps are abandonned, lack functionnalities or just plain suck. So porting apps is a great solution for Windows 10 Mobile and I'm all for it.

Now, would I have preferred that companies get on board with Windows? Of course. But given this clearly isn't going to happen, I think this option is better than having the platform disappear altogether.

So yeah, APKs working on Windows 10 mobile: I'm down with that now! :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Great point of view. I appreciate that input very much.

I'm just putting up with the bugs in 10 until they are fixed. I'm afraid, even with the bugs, I've decided I can no longer live without speech anywhere you can type. Voice dictation has become easy for me with Windows 10 for Mobile, and I just don't want to go back, even if I have to put up with a few bugs for a while longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out on down the road with those ports.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Great point of view. I appreciate that input very much.

I'm just putting up with the bugs in 10 until they are fixed. I'm afraid, even with the bugs, I've decided I can no longer live without speech anywhere you can type. Voice dictation has become easy for me with Windows 10 for Mobile, and I just don't want to go back, even if I have to put up with a few bugs for a while longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out on down the road with those ports.

Me too, really! The day that I'll be on my 640 with Windows 10 Mobile and the apps I need I'll be really happy about my choice of sticking with MS!

There were bugs that bugged me (no pun intended) so I decided to do away with the preview for now. But I'm trying every version that comes out and as soon as the edges are buffed out then I'll be onboard even if it's a preview. I'm really looking forward to it being released and find 8.1 to be a lot less enjoyable since maybe two builds ago (when the most annoying bugs were corrected).