It's ok to be optimistic about W10M, but come on!

flowkidd

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, it's ok to be optimistic about Windows 10 Mobile but people on here take it too far. For instance, if a news story talks about a shortcoming or delay in a feature of W10M and a person comments about how that is disappointing or a fail, there are fans that say "we don't need that feature or can't you wait or who needs that anyway".

I saw the bit that the camera is great but features like Panorama or Slo-mo will have to wait longer to be added because they have to rewrite everything. Right away fanboys jumped in to dismiss the features as gimmicks when a person showed disappointment in this. It happens all the time.

It seems that every time that Microsoft comes out with an update to Windows Phone/Mobile, apps require a rewrite and things are not ready on day one. SOON has become the new norm and certain "NEW" features are going to come SOON and that's fine because they are new, but features that were already present coming SOON? That is unheard of on other mobile offerings.

A person that uses panorama asks a sales guy whether the phone can take them is not going to take "no one uses that" as a response. Microsoft themselves said that small features matter yet they are WAY behind on small features. Small features that were present before are now COMING SOON. How can anyone defend that? These days outrage gets things done.

Thanks for reading.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's all a matter of opinion and different things being important to different people.

Also, it's not even RTM yet, so eh, I don't get what's bad about being optimistic.

flowkidd

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It's all a matter of opinion and different things being important to different people.

Also, it's not even RTM yet, so eh, I don't get what's bad about being optimistic.

That's the point people have different things that are important to them so dismissing others' needs is going too far. When did I say it's bad to be optimistic, I'm saying that some people take things too far.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Everyone takes their own point of view as reference.

For the person who thinks something is not important, everyone calling attention to that issue is an oversensitive whiner, hater, or the feature itself is a useless gimmick. For the person who thinks something is important, everyone who's silent on the matter must be a delirious fan boy. Either way, MS is always portrayed as outright incompetent for omitting, or changing or adding something which obviously makes W10M DOA. The hyperbole is strong on both sides!

If you're venting your nerd outrage all over these forums (supposedly to get things done), you'll achieve little beyond going on those people's nerves who are tired of listening to the same broken record.

Honestly, there is more than enough nerd rage around here. If you want to rage, we'd prefer you take that over to MS' user support forums or their user voice website, where you have at least a small chance of achieving your objectives. Here you're largely just wasting time.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I can see there is a lot of nerd-rage over the loss of panorama controls and the "classic" Windows Phone UI. Well guess what, that look didn't sell! So Windows Mobile 10 has to have a new look and feel if it has any chance. Also universal apps along with app bridges(Astoria & Islandwood) are the best chance to help close the app gap.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^
Note also that there is a difference between discussing the pros and cons of various changes, and trying to understand why some people like those changes and others don't (disagreeing in this context is absolutely fine), and the idea that outrage itself is the objective (this is usually more about being disagreeable). Those are two completely different things. One is about debating, learning and understanding, while the other is primarily about getting attention and making a stink.

Any given topic will usually attract both those who disagree and those who are disagreeable. The W10M UI was and remains such a topic that attracts both, but I think the majority of people raising concerns are reasonable. Rarely are such UI discussions about outrage and venting.

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I definitely agree with the OP about blind optimism, but there's a flip side to that coin, there's also overly pessimistic people here too.

In fact, those two groups basically sum up the vocal majority here. What this place lacks is educated, logical representation.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It seems more often than not on these kind of sites if you're not a gushing cheerleader about the product or questionable decision by MS you're labeled a "hater" and dismissed as an "iOS ******". I don't take it seriously.

It kind of reminds me when the Star Wars prequel movies came out and there was an instant divide between those that loved them and those that thought that were inferior to the Original Trilogy. I seem to recall someone saying "you're not a real Star Wars fan if you don't like The Phantom Menace." We all know how well that turned out.

I'm not optimistic about the direction MS is going, W10, W10M, the 950 and 950XL or Joe Belfiore's hair. That doesn't make me a hater. I'm just disappointed and want MS to do better.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit optimistic about W10 Mobile due to the refactoring of the Settings app. However the fact that Groove Music app is still a mess(no gapless playback) and the MS apps in general are buggy as hell is a big concern.

I still think that 3D Tiles are a must if MS wants to convince the mass consumer to take a hard look at tiles instead of icons.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I think if u just want to take a happy snap, text/calls then Msoft phone is ok esp since uploads photos to one drive.. If u want lots of apps and games then Android , unless Msoft change this?. Frustrating since so much potential the phones have, i can see them as good as Iphones if they pull finger out

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Not sure owning three Windows Phones since 2012 gives me any rights but it does indicate I have more invested into it than a simple test drive, in saying that?

I'll admit I have much "pessimism" but unless you've experienced something similar firsthand (BB) it is hard for others to understand, the "soon", "wait you?ll see" and the ?OS? that is always being revamped and as of now, has yet to officially materialize are all too familiar and do little to comfort my once enthusiastic feelings for the platform, the constant changes and reiterations that ?it is for the better? does little especially when time is a wastin.

Top that off with the fact now it is being mentioned, many times, that WP is becoming the ?ENTHISIASTS? phone, a far cry different perception ?many?, including MS, touted a few months back, and now were at a stage that the 950 series is considered the ?hold me overs? until the Surface Phone comes out, god knows when that will happen? It is one thing being labeled ?not finished?, another ?not there yet?.

With WP past/present history ringing loud and clear I do feel compelled to ?whine?, ?complain?, ?criticize? or whatever you want to call it, the simple fact is that I am very disappointed in the advancement or lack thereof since I came onboard, change of direction can be a good thing but when things have been less than stellar prior, not necessarily so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle