11-17-2015 09:41 AM
41 12
tools
    This makes sense for both companies. The Chromebooks are a massive flop, nobody is taking Chrome OS seriously, and likewise, we all know Windows Mobile needs help. If this happens, IMO, it's good for consumers, good for Microsoft, and good for Google.
    10-15-2015 10:00 AM
    Honestly there is nothing I miss about google apps apart from maybe maps and youtube but here maps and the downloadable maps on widows phone are more useful to me and youtube works just as well from the browser. Gmail I have never touched, after that there is nothing for me from google, I absolutely hate the google contact manager, its only good feature is to roll back contacts if things go wrong.
    Those are pretty big things IMO. That's like breaking up with a girl and saying, "I don't miss much about my ex except her personality and looks".
    10-15-2015 10:38 AM
    Could someone pls help me....... i dont understand project Astoria:
    -is there actually going to be a android subsystem, that will enable u to run those converted apps (sideloading? / As we can all see with blackberry, that was a total FAIL)
    -or is this bridge for conversion into windows apps, that will run simply on windows mobile?

Thx
    travisel likes this.
    10-22-2015 08:50 AM
    Could someone pls help me....... i dont understand project Astoria:
    -is there actually going to be a android subsystem, that will enable u to run those converted apps (sideloading? / As we can all see with blackberry, that was a total FAIL)
    -or is this bridge for conversion into windows apps, that will run simply on windows mobile?

Thx
    Islandwood is entirely program conversion. From what I understand this is the more important project.

Astoria is part program conversion and part Android emulation. I still haven't met anyone that fully understands the technical underpinnings, nor what consequences its existence will have on the OS (security, resource consumption, background tasks running at any time, etc).
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-22-2015 10:36 AM
    I still haven't met anyone that fully understands the technical underpinnings, nor what consequences its existence will have on the OS
    Astoria be like:

you-cannot-comprehend-me.jpg
    JPDVM2014, a5cent and Steve Adams like this.
    10-22-2015 02:33 PM
    ^ lol

Way more accurate than it should be ;-)
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-22-2015 04:00 PM
    It is easier a donkey fly
    Last edited by FearL0rd; 10-24-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    10-22-2015 08:49 PM
    And do you know the atual status of these two bridges? (Islandwood, Astoria)
    I believe i have read an article here on windowscentral, where somebody predicted that fruits could be harvested early 2017??????????? that is ludicrous...
    is there total silence or is there an actual deadline, when first apps as products of these bridges will be released to the windows store?

Islandwood is entirely program conversion. From what I understand this is the more important project.

Astoria is part program conversion and part Android emulation. I still haven't met anyone that fully understands the technical underpinnings, nor what consequences its existence will have on the OS (security, resource consumption, background tasks running at any time, etc).
    10-28-2015 06:05 AM
    ^ There are already some "prototype" applications out on the market. For example, Candy Crush on WP was allegedly ported to WP using Islandwood. So, first products have already existed for quite some time (as part of MS' bridge development projects)...

I've not yet heard of any specific release date. MS surely has timeframes and goals set, but MS would be stupid to make those public, as it's almost impossible to accurately plan projects like these out to their completion, and anything they say would instantly be labeled "a promise".

In the latest askdanwindows he "guestimated" Astoria would go public around Q1 2016. No word at all on Islandwood, which is the FAR more interesting project of the two, but for some reason gets almost no press coverage.

Anyway, sorry, no specific dates...
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-28-2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: formatting
    10-28-2015 06:38 AM
    And do you know the atual status of these two bridges? (Islandwood, Astoria)
    I believe i have read an article here on windowscentral, where somebody predicted that fruits could be harvested early 2017??????????? that is ludicrous...
    is there total silence or is there an actual deadline, when first apps as products of these bridges will be released to the windows store?
    I think once w10m goes active, the two "projects will be not far behind. I am sure way before 2017, if not.....W10M is toast before it starts.
    10-28-2015 06:39 AM
    New mobile build 10572 support Astoria project???
    I am getting error code14 what shall i do now???? Please help me
    10-29-2015 03:18 AM
    I agree. WP 10 is awesome and I would use it everyday if I can get some of the google apps. specially hangout & youtube.
    11-10-2015 11:08 PM
    If I can get some of the google apps. specially youtube.
    Ehm... tubecast? metrotube? Both awesome youtube clients.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-11-2015 04:55 PM
    I would say with the news today of porting from android being cancelled that tells me they are getting 0 help from Google.. Based on that and everything else no google apps will come to Windows phone anytime soon.
    11-16-2015 10:07 AM
    Yup. It is war between them and we are the victims.
    11-17-2015 09:38 AM
    "WP 10 is awesome and I would use it everyday if I can get some of the google apps. specially hangout & youtube.
    what makes it awesome??"

Is it secure?
    Does it work without MS having the ability to maintain info on your use?
    Does it NOT use the Cloud? or as I call it StormCloud, today's newest virus.
    Can you now uninstall ALL apps you choose not have?

Now, that would be a step toward AWESOME, tiny steps.
    11-17-2015 09:41 AM
41 12