Could Google Apps REALLY be coming?

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
PS. if i was Microsoft, i wouldn't have marketed the 950 as a mobile that can become a desktop....
I would have advertised it as the very small desktop that can go mobile.... sounds pretty neat the other way around.

I'm almost sure this is coming pending creation of Intel based Surface Phone

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
At least MS is open to allowing people to choose different search providers in Edge, including Google. While Chrome doesn't have such an option unless you go out of your way and find the bing plugin. It takes a big company to be open minded to all possibilities. I think Google would stand to gain from this sort of deal. If you think about it less people are going to be using the web for things like maps or netflix because they have the apps installed. It's already been proven more people are using the Netflix app. And in the future the web store will likely take over even with W32 apps. These apps are going to gain more exposure being in the app store rather than on the web where you have to search specific terms and compete with other websites in order to gain recognition. And there's no ratings, user comments to even help people choose the best apps. The Development tools make it easy to port w32 apps over as well. The world prefers apps to webpages. Even if the apps are web based it's easier to just install an app for what you want to use. Most iOs users I know barely ever use the browser unless an app doesn't exist for their needs. Google only became popular because of MS. And i'm sure they see the potential in Windows 10 and what Satya is doing. Even at the enterprise level they could make enterprise apps for companies using MS.

EDIT: I should mention that both MS and Google can provide ad services to application developers. If MS was ok with allowing google ads over bing ads for application developers, Google would jump all over that. Essentially developers could choose what pays best or jump between them. It almost seems like Google is fed up with all the woes android has brought it. And I have read articles about Google being better off abandoning it and focusing on other projects that it can have more control over. It's really about what type of revenue model is more important for them. But whether that will ever happen or not is hard to say. They just don't have that same excitement for android that they once did. Some predict a new google mobile that is closed and not open like Android. And android would just be free for the masses to do what they want with it. Other projects they are working on they seem way more enthusiastic about. They could even build their services based around windows 10. Let Microsoft worry about the operating system and focus on the services. But once again it's all just opinions people have made, and I do agree with them.

And Samsung has been wanting to abandon Google for a while this is why Tizen was built. If Samsung could be lured by Microsoft it could be advantageous to them. The secret is to provide each OEM with a section in the webstore where they can publish their apps and where Samsung phones would see the Samsung section in the store and Acer phones would have the Acer section visible. It can be done. No need for Samsung to preload apps, let people choose what they want. Developers could take advantage of Samsung only features and publish their apps in the Samsung section, etc.. But it would still all be controlled by MS. And that's really important if you want to keep an ecosystem that is free of fragmentation.

Last edited:

liquidphantom

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Honestly there is nothing I miss about google apps apart from maybe maps and youtube but here maps and the downloadable maps on widows phone are more useful to me and youtube works just as well from the browser. Gmail I have never touched, after that there is nothing for me from google, I absolutely hate the google contact manager, its only good feature is to roll back contacts if things go wrong.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Chrome doesn't have such an option unless you go out of your way and find the bing plugin.
Go to the settings. There is a section called 'search' which lets you choose from over 10 search providers. You can't change the search provider on some phones running WP 8.1 in internet explorer by the way.

Last edited:

rich4aikido

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This makes sense for both companies. The Chromebooks are a massive flop, nobody is taking Chrome OS seriously, and likewise, we all know Windows Mobile needs help. If this happens, IMO, it's good for consumers, good for Microsoft, and good for Google.

rich4aikido

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly there is nothing I miss about google apps apart from maybe maps and youtube but here maps and the downloadable maps on widows phone are more useful to me and youtube works just as well from the browser. Gmail I have never touched, after that there is nothing for me from google, I absolutely hate the google contact manager, its only good feature is to roll back contacts if things go wrong.

Those are pretty big things IMO. That's like breaking up with a girl and saying, "I don't miss much about my ex except her personality and looks".

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Could someone pls help me....... i dont understand project Astoria:
-is there actually going to be a android subsystem, that will enable u to run those converted apps (sideloading? / As we can all see with blackberry, that was a total FAIL)
-or is this bridge for conversion into windows apps, that will run simply on windows mobile?

Thx

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Could someone pls help me....... i dont understand project Astoria:
-is there actually going to be a android subsystem, that will enable u to run those converted apps (sideloading? / As we can all see with blackberry, that was a total FAIL)
-or is this bridge for conversion into windows apps, that will run simply on windows mobile?

Thx

Islandwood is entirely program conversion. From what I understand this is the more important project.

Astoria is part program conversion and part Android emulation. I still haven't met anyone that fully understands the technical underpinnings, nor what consequences its existence will have on the OS (security, resource consumption, background tasks running at any time, etc).

NoviMajster

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
And do you know the atual status of these two bridges? (Islandwood, Astoria)
I believe i have read an article here on windowscentral, where somebody predicted that fruits could be harvested early 2017??????????? that is ludicrous...
is there total silence or is there an actual deadline, when first apps as products of these bridges will be released to the windows store?

Islandwood is entirely program conversion. From what I understand this is the more important project.

Astoria is part program conversion and part Android emulation. I still haven't met anyone that fully understands the technical underpinnings, nor what consequences its existence will have on the OS (security, resource consumption, background tasks running at any time, etc).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ There are already some "prototype" applications out on the market. For example, Candy Crush on WP was allegedly ported to WP using Islandwood. So, first products have already existed for quite some time (as part of MS' bridge development projects)...

I've not yet heard of any specific release date. MS surely has timeframes and goals set, but MS would be stupid to make those public, as it's almost impossible to accurately plan projects like these out to their completion, and anything they say would instantly be labeled "a promise".

In the latest askdanwindows he "guestimated" Astoria would go public around Q1 2016. No word at all on Islandwood, which is the FAR more interesting project of the two, but for some reason gets almost no press coverage.

Anyway, sorry, no specific dates...

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
And do you know the atual status of these two bridges? (Islandwood, Astoria)
I believe i have read an article here on windowscentral, where somebody predicted that fruits could be harvested early 2017??????????? that is ludicrous...
is there total silence or is there an actual deadline, when first apps as products of these bridges will be released to the windows store?

I think once w10m goes active, the two "projects will be not far behind. I am sure way before 2017, if not.....W10M is toast before it starts.

Jeremy Caron

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I would say with the news today of porting from android being cancelled that tells me they are getting 0 help from Google.. Based on that and everything else no google apps will come to Windows phone anytime soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss