The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-17-2015 09:41 AM
41 12
tools
    This would be a huge boost. I hope by "core apps" that they include an updated Waze.

Did Microsoft's Windows 10 Mobile Gain Alphabet Inc's Blessing? -- The Motley Fool
    10-10-2015 04:24 PM
    It would be interesting, as it would prove Google fans wrong, most of whom insist that the ONLY reason Google isn't bringing their apps to WP/WM is its poor market share. As it currently stands, WP/WM now has even less market share than when that argument's popularity was at its height.

Anyway, I have no idea. I'm sceptical. I'll have to see it to believe it. MS having conceded the smartphone app market (Astoria and Islandwood) to its competitors would certainly make it easier for Google to get on board. If I were Google, and MS promised me that Astoria and Islandwood would be made available for free to anyone who wants it, I'd get on board. If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't do that.

Will be interesting to watch...

Either way, I don't think Waze would count as one of Google's core apps. I'm thinking more Gmail, Calendar, YouTube and Maps.
    libra89, dalydose, ven07 and 2 others like this.
    10-10-2015 05:37 PM
    May be!! google dont want ms to get success
    EXL, xandros9, theotrucker and 1 others like this.
    10-10-2015 05:43 PM
    10-10-2015 09:59 PM
    They absolutely need to show that their ecosystem (Google's services) are platform agnostic...picking 3 ecosystems goes a long way instead of shutting out 1 specific competitor (WM) while allowing a larger one access (Apple).

It will be interesting if true!

The real question in my mind is if they'd integrate/embrace Cortana, or only allow a ported Google Now app (or no voice asst at all.)
    10-10-2015 11:59 PM
    This would be a huge boost. I hope by "core apps" that they include an updated Waze.

Did Microsoft's Windows 10 Mobile Gain Alphabet Inc's Blessing? -- The Motley Fool
    No. It was just a baseless rumor. Google has a strategic interest in keeping Windows Mobile crippled. Their key apps are never, ever coming.
    brianahodges and xandros9 like this.
    10-11-2015 01:51 AM
    No. It was just a baseless rumor. Google has a strategic interest in keeping Windows Mobile crippled. Their key apps are never, ever coming.
    I'm not sure if they won't bring their apps ever, because I can see people using Windows 8-10 have to sign up for MS account & many of them are embracing it, it would be a loss for google in long term because personal info/interests of users will go to MS who doesn't have anything to lose in that area while Google has everything to lose, without it they can't provide you proper ads. If I'm a Google, I would bring apps after seeing Windows 10 surpassing significant userbase as now it's not Mobile alone, it's PC, too.

Yahoo brought its mail app, may be someday we'll see Google doing the same.
    10-11-2015 06:48 AM
    Honestly this would be the one thing that would solidify my staying with Windows Phone. I love the phone OS in every way but miss some of my google stuff. Android was OK but the google integration was the thing that made it a usable platform for me. I know that Microsoft has pretty good replacements but I still prefer what Google has to offer. If you get native Google apps and improve the app gap situation things could change quickly. Microsoft has a real chance to enter the enterprise market strong. Too many business users are entrenched in the Google ecosystem and some native Google app access would go a long way here.
    10-11-2015 12:11 PM
    If they want to intentionally cripple WM, why do they still have Google search app? Out of all of their apps, Google Search is their most key app.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2015 12:16 PM
    If they want to intentionally cripple WM, why do they still have Google search app? Out of all of their apps, Google Search is their most key app.
    the Google search app on windows phone hasn't been updated in years. It doesn't even have Google Now.
    xandros9, ven07, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    10-11-2015 05:00 PM

twit.jpg
    libra89, a5cent, dalydose and 3 others like this.
    10-11-2015 05:49 PM
    I think "never, ever" is a bit too strong. They've settled their lawsuits and Google is trying to NOT look anti-competitive. It could happen.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    10-11-2015 06:01 PM
    I think "never, ever" is a bit too strong. They've settled their lawsuits and Google is trying to NOT look anti-competitive. It could happen.
    I wouldn't say "never" either.

I would say that Goole has no reason to stop kicking WP/WM however. Google invests hundreds of millions per quarter into Android development. Those investments must have returns, which are far easier to reap from people using Android devices. Google would be stupid to make it easier for people like cane prevost1 to stay with WP.

The only way that would change is if MS offers Google a deal they can't refuse. I have no idea what that could be, but I wouldn't say that's impossible.
    10-11-2015 06:45 PM

Pretty much as expected...
    10-11-2015 06:51 PM
    Well shoot. Oh well! There really isn't much I need from Google anymore...tubecast is great.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-11-2015 07:02 PM
    Well shoot. Oh well! There really isn't much I need from Google anymore...tubecast is great.
    At this point Google could bring their official YouTube app and I'd still prefer tubecast or metrotube.
    10-11-2015 07:21 PM
    All I can say to this subject is.... LOL

Microsoft could put all their apps on Android but, google could care less and wont help Microsoft at all. It AIN'T going to happen...
    nmco9, xandros9 and libra89 like this.
    10-11-2015 07:55 PM
    If I'm google, I will do that by looking at the potential on Windows...
    10-11-2015 08:35 PM
    Like I said, MS could pay Google a billion dollars and they wouldn't bring their apps. Or they would and never update them again.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-12-2015 12:08 AM
    The thing that i like, and actually enjoy watching is..

How Google is trying to take over the bigger screens, with innovative solutions like the Chrome and Chromecast for example.

And how Microsoft is trying to take over the smaller screens, putting their services everywhere, continuum (you have a big screen, that can go mobile).

with the hope that both users jump ship what ever ship they are on.

It looks like two galaxies colliding.

Btw, I don't see anyone of them winning... i am pretty sure somewhere on the internet, people are have a reversed conversation of the one we are having.

PS. if i was Microsoft, i wouldn't have marketed the 950 as a mobile that can become a desktop....
    I would have advertised it as the very small desktop that can go mobile.... sounds pretty neat the other way around.
    libra89, hidayat225 and xandros9 like this.
    10-12-2015 01:34 AM

PS. if i was Microsoft, i wouldn't have marketed the 950 as a mobile that can become a desktop....
    I would have advertised it as the very small desktop that can go mobile.... sounds pretty neat the other way around.
    I'm almost sure this is coming pending creation of Intel based Surface Phone
    ayngling, hidayat225 and taymur like this.
    10-12-2015 01:37 AM
    At least MS is open to allowing people to choose different search providers in Edge, including Google. While Chrome doesn't have such an option unless you go out of your way and find the bing plugin. It takes a big company to be open minded to all possibilities. I think Google would stand to gain from this sort of deal. If you think about it less people are going to be using the web for things like maps or netflix because they have the apps installed. It's already been proven more people are using the Netflix app. And in the future the web store will likely take over even with W32 apps. These apps are going to gain more exposure being in the app store rather than on the web where you have to search specific terms and compete with other websites in order to gain recognition. And there's no ratings, user comments to even help people choose the best apps. The Development tools make it easy to port w32 apps over as well. The world prefers apps to webpages. Even if the apps are web based it's easier to just install an app for what you want to use. Most iOs users I know barely ever use the browser unless an app doesn't exist for their needs. Google only became popular because of MS. And i'm sure they see the potential in Windows 10 and what Satya is doing. Even at the enterprise level they could make enterprise apps for companies using MS.

EDIT: I should mention that both MS and Google can provide ad services to application developers. If MS was ok with allowing google ads over bing ads for application developers, Google would jump all over that. Essentially developers could choose what pays best or jump between them. It almost seems like Google is fed up with all the woes android has brought it. And I have read articles about Google being better off abandoning it and focusing on other projects that it can have more control over. It's really about what type of revenue model is more important for them. But whether that will ever happen or not is hard to say. They just don't have that same excitement for android that they once did. Some predict a new google mobile that is closed and not open like Android. And android would just be free for the masses to do what they want with it. Other projects they are working on they seem way more enthusiastic about. They could even build their services based around windows 10. Let Microsoft worry about the operating system and focus on the services. But once again it's all just opinions people have made, and I do agree with them.

And Samsung has been wanting to abandon Google for a while this is why Tizen was built. If Samsung could be lured by Microsoft it could be advantageous to them. The secret is to provide each OEM with a section in the webstore where they can publish their apps and where Samsung phones would see the Samsung section in the store and Acer phones would have the Acer section visible. It can be done. No need for Samsung to preload apps, let people choose what they want. Developers could take advantage of Samsung only features and publish their apps in the Samsung section, etc.. But it would still all be controlled by MS. And that's really important if you want to keep an ecosystem that is free of fragmentation.
    Last edited by poopyfinger; 10-12-2015 at 12:06 PM.
    10-12-2015 11:36 AM
    Honestly there is nothing I miss about google apps apart from maybe maps and youtube but here maps and the downloadable maps on widows phone are more useful to me and youtube works just as well from the browser. Gmail I have never touched, after that there is nothing for me from google, I absolutely hate the google contact manager, its only good feature is to roll back contacts if things go wrong.
    travisel likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:30 PM
    Chrome doesn't have such an option unless you go out of your way and find the bing plugin.
    Go to the settings. There is a section called 'search' which lets you choose from over 10 search providers. You can't change the search provider on some phones running WP 8.1 in internet explorer by the way.
    Last edited by colinkiama; 10-29-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    swsyd, libra89 and Krystianpants like this.
    10-14-2015 03:18 AM
    I think they just mean youtube and stuff. Granted, that would still be nice.
    10-14-2015 03:53 AM
41 12