How will 512MB devices perform when running W10M final (RTM)?

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Do 512m ram phone face major drawbacks in multitasking or performance
They do suffer in my opinion. I have a lumia 720 and none of the builds except one (512 i guess) has worked properly on my phone. The builds are really slow and laggy and after sometime that becomes irritating. I have installed every preview build till now and downgraded back to 8.1 the very next day itself. I dont have a 1gb ram device so i cant compare but after reading the comments in the WC forums i have concluded that people using the devices with 1 gig ram have a "less frustrating" experience with the builds. Although I know that 512mb of ram is really 'old fashioned' in times where devices run on 2 or 3 gigs of ram but I hope microsoft optimizes the final build for low memory devices.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I tried an early build way back in March on my Lumia 630 (512MB) and there was multiple issues around memory leaks. The only problem I have now with 8.1 is heavy intensive webpages (eg. advert covered car site autoexpress) will crash the browser closing and showing the damn resuming screen. But with 10M I was seeing this a lot on other apps. The positive thing is Microsoft seem confident lower spec phones will run it so I'm hoping its just a tuning optimization issue. I'm going to a Lumia 640 XL in December anyway just to avoid any issues.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried an early build way back in March on my Lumia 630 (512MB) and there was multiple issues around memory leaks. The only problem I have now with 8.1 is heavy intensive webpages (eg. advert covered car site autoexpress) will crash the browser closing and showing the damn resuming screen. But with 10M I was seeing this a lot on other apps. The positive thing is Microsoft seem confident lower spec phones will run it so I'm hoping its just a tuning optimization issue. I'm going to a Lumia 640 XL in December anyway just to avoid any issues.

I had the same issues on wm10. Random crashes and never ending 'resuming' screens. It's not that they are not there in wp8 but the frequency is way too less to cause any trouble. I was also thinking of getting 640xl. Seems like an awesome phone for the price. Might wait till next year just to see if the prices drop. I am a college student so on a tight budget;)

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The same problem is happening with 1 gb ram handsets as well. Don't worry , by the end of this weekend there will be a update for w10 mobile

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I was also thinking of getting 640xl. Seems like an awesome phone for the price. Might wait till next year just to see if the prices drop. I am a college student so on a tight budget;)

Yep the 640XL does seem a great deal! Large screen with good contrast, Zeiss Camera and I think it has glance too. I had a play in a store yesterday with the non-XL version and was impressed just wish they had the bigger XL model to test. The phones definitely gone under the radar which is good because prices should drop as stores try clear out inventory over the holidays.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In my experience, Win 10 Mobile on a 512 MB device is great if you want a toaster in your hand. It sounds like it hasn't improved from when I tried it. Laggy and hot is not a pleasant combo.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The same problem is happening with 1 gb ram handsets as well. Don't worry , by the end of this weekend there will be a update for w10 mobile
I do want to share your level of optimism. Hope the update improves the present scenario because doing a hard reset and restoring all the apps is really a big headache:(

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Agree ... It's a big headache . And w10 10549 ll hit the surface till this Friday or Saturday. So do not go for a hard reset. And some apps like VLC, also making OS slower and causes to heat up mobile

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 (2gb ram) and while I don't know how laggy is the experience in a 512RAM device, I can assure you the experience in my phone is lackluster.
Several Loading/Resuming screens
Home screen is unresponsive
Home screen does not load
Apps crash frequently
Random reboots
Apps that do not load

I understand it's a beta, but while I think the RAM will have an impact on the OS performance, I fear it's the processors that will determine how smooth the OS works... have you seen people saying how smooth the OS runs in the 950 family ? Hexa and Octa cores... and here we are, stuck with dual cores that are unable to even start the cammera app quick enough.

I hope a 3rd party company releases a decent midrange phone... if not, a 930 will be my next purchase and hope it does not suffer the same issues the 1020 (****ty USB Port and the tendency to be used as a frying pan)

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 (2gb ram) and while I think the RAM will have an impact on the OS performance, I fear it's the processors that will determine how smooth the OS works...

This would be a big concern for me if I do upgrade (buying it unlocked) from the Lumia 630 to the 640XL because it has the same processor. I hope your wrong ha ha but it may explain why W10 Mobile is taking so long?

Having said that I remember reading someone from WC tested an unfinished but close to final build on the 950 which was still buggy yet the in store versions with final builds have no known issues. Its a waiting game, but gonna see how the 640XL performs with W10m before I pick one up in December...

Varm

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi im using Lumia 520 and updated to 10536 build. It is better now than before. I tried games and application and there's no crashes at all. I played my favorite online games DUNGEON HUNTER 4 and tested I'd never experience Laggy or crashes. Better you've try it also at your side. Only 1 thing I hate is when I change my settings in Background Picture, Tiles and after that it continues loading for how many minutes more that 5 - 10 minutes of waiting. Kindly fix that and the Lumia 520 will perfectly running on Windows 10.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm running the latest build on my 635 (512) and for the most part, it's pretty smooth. There are resuming issues when switching between apps but I believe this is mostly due to it being a preview release - the other comments are supporting this. I'm looking forward to see how the next build will behave when they release it this week (hopefully).

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1020 (2gb ram) and while I don't know how laggy is the experience in a 512RAM device, I can assure you the experience in my phone is lackluster.
Several Loading/Resuming screens
Home screen is unresponsive
Home screen does not load
Apps crash frequently
Random reboots
Apps that do not load

I understand it's a beta, but while I think the RAM will have an impact on the OS performance, I fear it's the processors that will determine how smooth the OS works... have you seen people saying how smooth the OS runs in the 950 family ? Hexa and Octa cores... and here we are, stuck with dual cores that are unable to even start the cammera app quick enough.

I hope a 3rd party company releases a decent midrange phone... if not, a 930 will be my next purchase and hope it does not suffer the same issues the 1020 (****ty USB Port and the tendency to be used as a frying pan)
The processor does play a bigger role in the phone's performance. I have seen the hands on videos of 950 models and damn are they smooth! But i have seen wp8.1 run on both low end and flagship phones and there is not much of a difference in the performance. No doubt the flagships are more fluid but the low ends are nothing that u can't work with. That shows that processor doesnt make that big an impact on the general performanceof the os. So i hope that the final build of wm10 turns out to be like what wp8.1 is right now. Optimized and somewhat 'resuming' free;)

Compiux

May 24, 2014
Visit site
@Sharad: yes, you are right. Windows 8.1 runs smoothly on any phone (better on some than others) so hopefully is just a matter of tunning after the product is finished.
@WPLee: I hope too I'm wrong haha

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
It will be more smoother on RTM build now ms is releasing new insider build in couple of days.
I hope it's smoother on rtm but I have an alternate theory as well. Majority of windows handsets are made by MS itself and besides a few devices, every device now launched has atleast 1gig of ram. Even the budget handsets. So do forgive me if i sound a little paranoid but i think MS wont be wasting its time on optimizing wm10 for low memory devices. As we all know that MS has a lot of catching up to do with android and ios, it would be better of focussing on more recently released handsets and future releases because to be honest, most of the 512mb devices are more than a year old and now a days people usually upgrade their smartphones in a year or two. So why bother investing time on something that may not even be relevant in near future. I hope nobody gets me wrong because even i have a 512mb device. Just a thought;)

kunal tipre

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I hope it's smoother on rtm but I have an alternate theory as well. Majority of windows handsets are made by MS itself and besides a few devices, every device now launched has atleast 1gig of ram. Even the budget handsets. So do forgive me if i sound a little paranoid but i think MS wont be wasting its time on optimizing wm10 for low memory devices. As we all know that MS has a lot of catching up to do with android and ios, it would be better of focussing on more recently released handsets and future releases because to be honest, most of the 512mb devices are more than a year old and now a days people usually upgrade their smartphones in a year or two. So why bother investing time on something that may not even be relevant in near future. I hope nobody gets me wrong because even i have a 512mb device. Just a thought;)
Yes 512mb ram is old-fashioned but most of people bought Lumia 520 for 8000rs if this device will work smooth then no need to upgrade old devices ... I hope this devices will survive.

sharadh

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes 512mb ram is old-fashioned but most of people bought Lumia 520 for 8000rs if this device will work smooth then no need to upgrade old devices ... I hope this devices will survive.
I bought my 720 for 17000. so nobody wants them to survive as bad as i do😃

kunal tipre

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 720 for 17000. so nobody wants them to survive as bad as i do😃
It's a great phone you can compare 720 or 520 with upcoming Microsoft 550. You will find there is no difference chipset and gpu is same. only difference with ram.
i have 15 years old Pentium 4 PC with 1gb ram windows 10 runs smooth on it with no lags ...hehe not a joke
yes in ssmartphone the whole scenario is different but it will run on old Nokia Lumia phones.
its not Google its Microsoft hehe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720