Is Windows 10 Mobile going to be available for tablet platforms?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a tablet with Windows 8.1 and insufficient drive space for the 20 Gbyte upgrade to Windows 10. This a Teclast X89, dual OS with a Windows partition of 16 GB. Is the technical preview available for tablets and have system requirements for tablet upgrades to Windows 10 Mobile yet to be communicated?

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile cannot be installed on existing tablets. Existing tablets with Windows 8.1 are only eligible for full Windows 10, not Mobile, even if they are 7-8".
However, the Windows 10 upgrade does NOT require 20 GBs. Your tablet is x86-based (32 bits) and the upgrade images are circa 2 GB, so if you have about 5 GB free, you should be fine. If your tablet cannot do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10, you can still do a clean install.

Wp1876

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
The teclast x89 contains the Intel Atom Z3735F, a 64 bit instruction set processor. The OEM OS is the 32 bit Windows with Bing. The problem with the above suggestions is that the maufacuter's partitioning of the 32 G drive leaves only 1.5 G free on the Windows parition, and a clean install will eliminate the dual boot.

Wp1876

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
The manufacturer has created 19 partitions, 2 EFI's, 1 recovery, and of course the Windows and Android partitions. I can find no documentation on the purpose of the remaining partitions. I don't read Chinese so the company forums have been of no use.

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
How big is the Windows partition? 19 partitions is sure a lot though...

A clean install will not erase the Android partition(s). However, Windows by default overwrites the bootloader. I was looking into forums and I couldn't find any information on how the bootloader is currently implemented.

Wp1876

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
The Windows partition is 13 GB. The Windows Technet library states that Win 8, 8.1 has five default GPT partitions, the ESP which contains the bootloader, a partition for Win RE utilities, a MSR partition, the Windows OS, and a recovery partition. There is opaque reference to other system partitions that are optional. I have no confidence that the Windows installation will only write to the primary partitions that contain its utilities. The Android partition also appears as a primary partition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes