Black Friday is almost here!

Get the inside track on all the best deals.

10-30-2015 08:37 AM
47 12
tools
    *that moment you realize that BB10 did something better than every mobile OS available but you know............apps..smh*

But on another note, @saurabh, I don't think Satyendra is saying that it isn't an issue, but saying that what you are asking about is left up to the developers of the apps. It's not a Microsoft issue to implement because they have made the functionality available, but it is left up to the devs.
    10-25-2015 03:12 AM
    But its not fully implemented
    Why we see resume screen then and app crashing
    Yes, "background tasks and services" are fully implemented by Windows. What's not complete, is many users' understanding of the concept of "background" as relates to programming for Windows. The term doesn't mean "behind another window" (i.e., in the background of a bunch of open windows), it means "while my task is not running" (i.e., has no windows). [This isn't strictly correct, but it's a lot closer than the former.]

The "background tasks and services" used by an app are special parts of the app that are both separate from the part that users interact with and that are allowed to run when your app itself is not running. It's best if you think of "an app" is being several different program packaged together. One -- and only one -- is for you to use and interact with. The others, if there are any, are there to take advantage of the background services offered by Windows.

"Resuming" is shown during the time between when the OS is ready to switch to an already-in-memory app that's been suspended and the time when the app itself is ready to draw it's screen. Many older apps weren't written to recognize such a reactivation so they instead act as if the app is being started rather than resumed. As such, these older apps do lots of start-up work that isn't necessary, delaying the display of the screen.

This is why users typically see Resuming for longer periods of time with older apps originally written for WP7 -- that platform didn't have support for this kind of task switching and resuming. WP8 apps built from a WP7 base sometimes inherited this unawareness that lots of work could be skipped during a resume; some WP8 apps added a little bit of new code to optimize switching start-up, but the fundamental nature of the app remained.. [As above, this isn't strictly correct or complete, but believing this will get you closer to the truth than where most folks are now.]

Example: I wrote an app for personal use. (It is not in the Store.) I wrote it during the days of Windows Phone 7.0, upgraded it for Mango (7.5), and upgraded again for WP8. I never did a WP8.1 version of it. It has no background tasks. It exhibits the Resuming behavior. I have now rewritten it from the ground up as a Windows 10 Universal app. It still has no background tasks. It does not show Resuming. Because it's built to handle the new way of doing things.

Moral: Microsoft has updated the operating system and now developer need to update the apps to take advantage of the OS.

It's worth noting that this issue is because apps haven't been redeveloped in a while. A lot changed with Windows 8.0 for desktop and 8.1 for phones. Given how difficult it is for firms to justify the cost of writing a WP app in the face of low global market share, few Rewrote the app for the WinPRT API in WP8.1. Windows 10 will hopefully be popular enough to change the market economics so that it's worth writing a new app for phones to gain access to the desktops, laptops, and tablets of the business world.
    10-25-2015 07:01 AM
    Yes, "background tasks and services" are fully implemented by Windows. What's not complete, ......
    Thanks for such an explanatory post. Awesome.....
    10-26-2015 08:23 AM
    Say this to any body's mom and dad that they have to request or rant to developers fro having simple common sense features.

You use sample mail to send ur rants.
    But I give u example
    Take WhatsApp its an messaging and sharing app but why the hell u didnt give any file extension type sharing or docx sharing. If any bodys mom need this simple feature they have to rant to u still they don't know how to do it bcz u didn't gave this common sense features compared to other os.

So stop your cussing fussin that its not developers or os issue .
    Then why the hell w10m is made to make life hell or easy.
    If u use apps like Telegram Messenger then u would know that they have option to send files such as docx and as well as music files like .mp3 so it means that the OS support this but the WhatsApp developer needs to add support for these and they will definitely will if they do a little more research.
    10-26-2015 09:31 AM
    I'm just amazed that you are using your time to answer someone who is so rude :)
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-26-2015 at 07:11 PM. Reason: language
    10-26-2015 10:00 AM
    Maybe it's because of a career in higher education IT, but I just really hate when someone who doesn't know the intricacies of an issue posts on it with a tone that sounds authoritative. Rather than leaving the general user base uneducated about an issue, they leave the user dis-educated or mis-educated.

That said, what I wrote above is a simplification of the actual situation. In Windows 10, there are additional ways that the user-visible parts of apps can request that the OS allow them to continue to work while "behind" another app. There's lots more at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt590969
    10-26-2015 12:46 PM
    But its not fully implemented
    Yes, "background tasks and services" are fully implemented by Windows. What's not complete, is many users' understanding of the concept of "background" as relates to programming for Windows.
    While manicottiK gave a very thorough and easy-to-understand explanation for anyone willing to actually read it, I must inject something additional here. Why does someone complain about something "not fully implemented" (even though it is) in an OS that is still in preview and hasn't even been released yet as IF everything is supposed to be completely finished?!?

@saurabh1991, if you're testing Windows 10 Mobile, you seriously need to think about getting off the Insider train if you're expecting things to be complete already.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-2015 05:18 PM
    Why does someone complain about something "not fully implemented" (even though it is) in an OS that is still in preview and hasn't even been released yet as IF everything is supposed to be completely finished?!?
    Not to put words in his mouth, but I think that he meant "not fully implemented" as "not implemented in the way that it is in Android."
    a5cent, rhapdog and libra89 like this.
    10-26-2015 06:50 PM
    This will be really useful for softphone. Right now you can only use it to call but not to receive while screen is off.
    10-26-2015 07:56 PM
    640 XL and build 10572. Most of the apps I use can run in the background. I believe the change came on this most recent build because the previous build would close the app if you press the back button. This build leaves the app open and runs in the background whether you use the back button or the Windows home key.

Groove Music, Maps, Store, Facebook, Windows Central apps been tested. Even store updates and map downloads and apps moving from device to SD card runs in the background. But your mileage my vary. Like others voiced out, it is most likely the app themselves and not Windows Mobile. Yelling at the police will not help change laws, but communicating with your local government officials can.
    10-26-2015 08:20 PM
    640 XL and build 10572. Most of the apps I use can run in the background. I believe the change came on this most recent build because the previous build would close the app if you press the back button. This build leaves the app open and runs in the background whether you use the back button or the Windows home key.

Groove Music, Maps, Store, Facebook, Windows Central apps been tested. Even store updates and map downloads and apps moving from device to SD card runs in the background. But your mileage my vary. Like others voiced out, it is most likely the app themselves and not Windows Mobile. Yelling at the police will not help change laws, but communicating with your local government officials can.
    I am on build 10512. So I am not test.
    But wow I really happy 10572 works background process!!!. next build as soon as possible release. So i test the feature. Thanks....
    but are you test uc browser and edge browser download continues works in background even long time stay on start screen/using another apps?
    midnightfrolic likes this.
    10-27-2015 01:36 AM
    On Lumia 620 with 10572,uc browser stopped the downloading when press home button,bcoz when u go again u will see connecting.well we should wait for windows 10 mobile version for that,but I can say dropbox works well,even my whole camera roll collection uploaded without have to open dropbox.
    10-27-2015 02:07 AM
    On Lumia 620 with 10572,uc browser stopped the downloading when press home button,bcoz when u go again u will see connecting.well we should wait for windows 10 mobile version for that,but I can say dropbox works well,even my whole camera roll collection uploaded without have to open dropbox.
    in which download you choose In uc browser? (regular download / background download)
    if you choose regular download after press home botton the download will be stopped or connect problem. So Switch to background download and try.
    so download stopped even you choose background download in uc browser?
    10-27-2015 04:03 AM
    but why UWP apps like phone/messaging/camera etc. are still showing loading/resuming sometimes, they should already use the new api.
    10-27-2015 05:38 PM
    I am on build 10512. So I am not test.
    But wow I really happy 10572 works background process!!!. next build as soon as possible release. So i test the feature. Thanks....
    but are you test uc browser and edge browser download continues works in background even long time stay on start screen/using another apps?
    I do not have the UC Browser only use Edge. Tested with Edge browser to be downloading in the background while using other apps like Facebook, games. Tested with several 130MB download files with and without batter saver on. Phone was not plugged into power source. It's possible your particular phone has a better more aggressive power saving mechanism to stop power hogging apps like download files from the web in the background.
    10-27-2015 11:25 PM
    When an app is suspending (sleeping) the developer can act on that signal. So what they can do is eg. releasing memory, deactivating the camera.
    Once the app comes back to the foreground it get's in the state resuming. If the developer released some memory by disposing some in memory data, or deactivated the camera, coming into the the resume state is the moment to get everything back available for the user.
    So some of the actions taken by the developer in the resume state can take up some time. It has no sense eg. to show the userinterface of the camera app, if the camera is not yet ready to capture images. Sometimes an app has to wait for the hardware to react.
    10-29-2015 06:34 AM
    Like in anroid or inn Any os we want is. Full background app support

That means is that If an app is downloading a file or searching or files trannsfer like share it xxender and we want to switch to outlook to check email and reply and come back and then play music.

Most of the times app will close or it will. Stop the task. Givenn to it.

The file transfer also stops.

Get an android or you aren't going to be satisfied for a while
    10-29-2015 08:47 AM
    Get an android or you aren't going to be satisfied for a while
    You failed to read the thread before answering. Obvious, since this was already addressed. Windows 10 mobile has it, but, whether you want to believe it or not is entirely up to you.
    10-29-2015 02:52 PM
    I changed the thread title to reflect what the OP is actually asking.
    10-29-2015 04:33 PM
    You failed to read the thread before answering. Obvious, since this was already addressed. Windows 10 mobile has it, but, whether you want to believe it or not is entirely up to you.
    Oh it does have it but, 1) third party developers have to implement it in Windows 10 apps

2) There isn't a way to check progress of downloads/uploads without switching the to the app

3) Microsoft edge still can't download in the background

However I download offline maps in the background the other day which is something you could never do in 8.1
    10-30-2015 04:38 AM
    However I download offline maps in the background the other day which is something you could never do in 8.1
    There were a lot of things you could download in the background on WP8.1 as well. Apps are just one example. UCBrowser also had that capability. Being able to download in the background is something WM could do even if nothing had changed since WP8.1.

The ability has always been there.

IMHO what WM desperately needs a centralized download manager. The idea that each app should manage background downloads individually(edge, the app store, etc) is just awful.

Once such a centralized background download manager exists, downloading files in any other way should be made impossible. It's the only way you'll get developers to "get with the program".
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    Tahmid Alam likes this.
    10-30-2015 05:46 AM
    Oh it does have it but, 1) third party developers have to implement it in Windows 10 apps
    Yay! That's something I'm very glad of. I would hate for CPU cycles to be utilized by every program I have open, like Word, for example, when it has nothing that needs to be run.

Background processes should be something that is done on purpose, period. Otherwise, every single inactive program will need to have CPU cycles passed to it to see if anything needs to be done, which is rather wasteful. It's why Android can't handle low-end hardware, and why Windows 10 can handle low-end hardware as gracefully as Android runs on high-end hardware.

I for one think developers need to stop being lazy and start implementing what needs to be done. Programming on Android apps, in many cases, not all, are sloppy and inefficient. It's those sloppy apps that cause Android to lag, not the OS. BUT, it's the OS that allows those apps to be sloppy to start with. This is why some people claim that Android never lags, and others claim it lags bad. It can very much depend on what apps you are running.

Lucky for me, I've always put myself in a position to where if I were to have to work alongside a sloppy programmer, I was either able to get that person removed from the team, fire them myself, or leave and move on to a better job. There is no excuse for not putting everything you have into whatever you do.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-30-2015 08:37 AM
47 12