Does W10M support unrestricted background processing like Andriod does?

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Like in anroid or inn Any os we want is. Full background app support

That means is that If an app is downloading a file or searching or files trannsfer like share it xxender and we want to switch to outlook to check email and reply and come back and then play music.

Most of the times app will close or it will. Stop the task. Givenn to it.
The file transfer also stops.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Currently using build 10536 and I think W10M have quite strict power-saving governor.

I'm using one sleep-aid sound app and it has to be running under screen on, once you turn the screen off the sound stops - even it has the timer built-in.

How am I supposed to sleep with a bright screen near my bed?

But I think if W10M allows the apps running in background the it will suck battery/RAM and demand CPU uasge like an android.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I'm on build 10572, and it does allow it. However, the developer has to allow it also. Not all developers write their apps to run in background because they aren't used to it, but the capability is now there. Maps, store apps, and more now download in the background.

Still, keep in mind that the developer of a particular app is responsible for making it work. At least they can do that now.

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I'm on build 10572, and it does allow it. However, the developer has to allow it also. Not all developers write their apps to run in background because they aren't used to it, but the capability is now there. Maps, store apps, and more now download in the background.

Still, keep in mind that the developer of a particular app is responsible for making it work. At least they can do that now.

But all those developers have their full background app support in android compared to w10m

Like share it,xender,uc browser and these all apps show status and downloading in the notification center itself unlike w10m.

Due to this we do not know which app is using data or if we want to pause background download from action center.

Also store app downloads do not appear in notification center or live tile(which are so called live but they do not show realtime or live data)

These points are biggest drawback

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Currently using build 10536 and I think W10M have quite strict power-saving governor.

I'm using one sleep-aid sound app and it has to be running under screen on, once you turn the screen off the sound stops - even it has the timer built-in.

How am I supposed to sleep with a bright screen near my bed?

But I think if W10M allows the apps running in background the it will suck battery/RAM and demand CPU uasge like an android.
then for ur case an option in w10m mobile should be given to allow apps under lock screen and background run or not for user like you .

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
But all those developers have their full background app support in android compared to w10m

Like share it,xender,uc browser and these all apps show status and downloading in the notification center itself unlike w10m.

Due to this we do not know which app is using data or if we want to pause background download from action center.

Also store app downloads do not appear in notification center or live tile(which are so called live but they do not show realtime or live data)

These points are biggest drawback

Okay, first you want to know if there are background downloads. Then, I tell you the build delivers it, and you complain that those downloads can' be paused through notification center?!?

The notification center on Windows Phone and Windows 10 is a "static notification center" meant to provide static messages. No, at this time it cannot provide live progress bars with pause/resume for downloads. In Windows 10, this is usually done with a download manager, and there are download managers available in the store. They may or may not be any good, but they are there. I'm sure a decent one can be made if there isn't a good one there.

It's up to developers to step up the game at this point.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Like in anroid or inn Any os we want is. Full background app support

That means is that If an app is downloading a file or searching or files trannsfer like share it xxender and we want to switch to outlook to check email and reply and come back and then play music.

Most of the times app will close or it will. Stop the task. Givenn to it.
The file transfer also stops.

It goes support but the developers needs to do some work for it

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Okay, first you want to know if there are background downloads. Then, I tell you the build delivers it, and you complain that those downloads can' be paused through notification center?!?

The notification center on Windows Phone and Windows 10 is a "static notification center" meant to provide static messages. No, at this time it cannot provide live progress bars with pause/resume for downloads. In Windows 10, this is usually done with a download manager, and there are download managers available in the store. They may or may not be any good, but they are there. I'm sure a decent one can be made if there isn't a good one there.

It's up to developers to step up the game at this point.

Then man what's the difference between windows. Phone 8 and 10 not enhancement annd how they are ggonna attract users on this feature.

Why would they chose windows over android .
EVen the live tiles aren't live

I had checked download managers in store wp u name it none of them is even close to what we want and they get crashed a lot.

Then how w10m is gonna evolve.

And man these features were available way back in Symbian phones.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Developers are doing this in android and ios why only windows phone does not have it. Tellme

Ask the developers.

Windows phones support background activity, I'm downloading maps with Mapfactor right now.

If the app you need doesn't support the feature I suggest you go complain Tu them instead of incoherently ranting about Android here.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Then man what's the difference between windows. Phone 8 and 10 not enhancement annd how they are ggonna attract users on this feature.

Why would they chose windows over android .
EVen the live tiles aren't live

I had checked download managers in store wp u name it none of them is even close to what we want and they get crashed a lot.

Then how w10m is gonna evolve.

And man these features were available way back in Symbian phones.

Quit your rant on here, and go to the user voice forums or mail the developers to implement the features you want. Background downloads is supported by WP (eg. with UC browser).
The ranting isn't going to magically fix everything.
If you want, put up a sample mail template and ask us for help with mailing the developers. We might do that.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Ask the developers.

Windows phones support background activity, I'm downloading maps with Mapfactor right now.

If the app you need doesn't support the feature I suggest you go complain Tu them instead of incoherently ranting about Android here.

Quit your rant on here, and go to the user voice forums or mail the developers to implement the features you want. Background downloads is supported by WP (eg. with UC browser).
If you want, put up a sample mail template and ask us for help with mailing the developers. We might do that.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you both.

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Ask the developers.

Why wwould request to developers I am talking about the features the os should possess given by the Microsoft.No special developer begging is required to get this feature.

Anybodys mom or dad is not going to request or beg to developers for having background downloads or any other features . Although we can do.

ALso when did Symbian users or android users or any user requested or begeed to developers for this feature or any feature.

IN Symbian they got it by common sense of os maker Nokia.

SO stop ranting and showin that you don't want these features or it ls not imp.

W10m is incomplete wwithout sensible things and options.

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you both.
Stop ranting and begging to developers.
AAnybody's mom uncle or dad is not gonna rant to developers or Microsoft.
These are basic ffeatures. Which Symbian had it before any body requested it.Take urself there if u all are building an app for ranting then u will give option to rant back by using ur common sense. Not if someone would beg to u plz developers give rant back option .or any body's mom or dad.

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

Say this to any body's mom and dad that they have to request or rant to developers fro having simple common sense features.

You use sample mail to send ur rants.
But I give u example
Take WhatsApp its an messaging and sharing app but why the hell u didnt give any file extension type sharing or docx sharing. If any bodys mom need this simple feature they have to rant to u still they don't know how to do it bcz u didn't gave this common sense features compared to other os.

So stop your cussing fussin that its not developers or os issue .
Then why the hell w10m is made to make life hell or easy.

joysonjoy95

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
As per my knowledge, windows phone suspends the app when minimized. The background download is available for windows phone 8 apps but with its own limitations. Downloads >100 mb needs wifi with device plugged in.
Windows phone 8.1 apps background download is buggy. For example if you resume the app from suspended state, often the download gets restarted from the beginning which is really stupid.
Not to mention the delay of notifications from the suspended apps. Thank you

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
saurabh1991, the issue isn't that Windows 10 cannot do it or that the feature will be there when the OS is finished, but rather that Microsoft has specifically chosen to try to drive the world in a different direction with respect to the application life cycle. The new app model is conducive with the shift of user "compute" time from devices with corded power (i,e., wall sockets) to devices with disconnected power (i.e., batteries).

By far, the majority of use cases see are not directly impacted by the changes. However, they do receive indirect benefits because devices can be used for longer periods of time due to the power savings brought about by the change in app lifecycle. To the folks who like their phones to last day or their computers to last through a work day, this is a big gain.

The new models don't satisfy all use cases. Rather than just abandoning those cases where tasks must continue while the user is doing something else, a new set of APIs has been created to provide service. Sure, developers need to take action to use the new APIs and that action is extra work. Given that I do some development, this extra effort has negatively impacted me personally.

In the end, the same balancing act that's always been considered when things change (like the shift from CLI to GUI or the introductions of event-driven programming or object-oriented programming): does the one-time effort by the programmer result in more or less cumulative benefit to the users?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Stop ranting and begging to developers.
AAnybody's mom uncle or dad is not gonna rant to developers or Microsoft.
These are basic ffeatures. Which Symbian had it before any body requested it.Take urself there if u all are building an app for ranting then u will give option to rant back by using ur common sense. Not if someone would beg to u plz developers give rant back option .or any body's mom or dad.

I have done no such ranting, nor have I begged any developers for anything. I have simply stated a fact that it is up to developers to properly implement what you are looking for. Now that it is available, it will come. Being a retired developer, if I want something bad enough, I'll find the time to do it myself. (Yeah, the really good ones can afford to retire early and enjoy life.)

The platform hasn't even been released yet, so stop expecting things before there is even an official platform for it (speaking of Windows 10 Mobile, of course.)

As per my knowledge, windows phone suspends the app when minimized. The background download is available for windows phone 8 apps but with its own limitations. Downloads >100 mb needs wifi with device plugged in.
Windows phone 8.1 apps background download is buggy. For example if you resume the app from suspended state, often the download gets restarted from the beginning which is really stupid.
Not to mention the delay of notifications from the suspended apps. Thank you
Good news! Windows 10 Mobile will allow you to state you have unlimited data and therefore will no longer require you to be on Wi-Fi for large downloads! You do have to set that up in settings. No more "plugged in" either. App background download can now handle multiple downloads at once and is no longer the buggy nightmare that was on WP8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa