Does W10M support unrestricted background processing like Andriod does?

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
When an app is suspending (sleeping) the developer can act on that signal. So what they can do is eg. releasing memory, deactivating the camera.
Once the app comes back to the foreground it get's in the state resuming. If the developer released some memory by disposing some in memory data, or deactivated the camera, coming into the the resume state is the moment to get everything back available for the user.
So some of the actions taken by the developer in the resume state can take up some time. It has no sense eg. to show the userinterface of the camera app, if the camera is not yet ready to capture images. Sometimes an app has to wait for the hardware to react.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Like in anroid or inn Any os we want is. Full background app support

That means is that If an app is downloading a file or searching or files trannsfer like share it xxender and we want to switch to outlook to check email and reply and come back and then play music.

Most of the times app will close or it will. Stop the task. Givenn to it.

The file transfer also stops.

Get an android or you aren't going to be satisfied for a while

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Get an android or you aren't going to be satisfied for a while

You failed to read the thread before answering. Obvious, since this was already addressed. Windows 10 mobile has it, but, whether you want to believe it or not is entirely up to you.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You failed to read the thread before answering. Obvious, since this was already addressed. Windows 10 mobile has it, but, whether you want to believe it or not is entirely up to you.
Oh it does have it but, 1) third party developers have to implement it in Windows 10 apps

2) There isn't a way to check progress of downloads/uploads without switching the to the app

3) Microsoft edge still can't download in the background

However I download offline maps in the background the other day which is something you could never do in 8.1

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
However I download offline maps in the background the other day which is something you could never do in 8.1
There were a lot of things you could download in the background on WP8.1 as well. Apps are just one example. UCBrowser also had that capability. Being able to download in the background is something WM could do even if nothing had changed since WP8.1.

The ability has always been there.

IMHO what WM desperately needs a centralized download manager. The idea that each app should manage background downloads individually(edge, the app store, etc) is just awful.

Once such a centralized background download manager exists, downloading files in any other way should be made impossible. It's the only way you'll get developers to "get with the program".

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh it does have it but, 1) third party developers have to implement it in Windows 10 apps

Yay! That's something I'm very glad of. I would hate for CPU cycles to be utilized by every program I have open, like Word, for example, when it has nothing that needs to be run.

Background processes should be something that is done on purpose, period. Otherwise, every single inactive program will need to have CPU cycles passed to it to see if anything needs to be done, which is rather wasteful. It's why Android can't handle low-end hardware, and why Windows 10 can handle low-end hardware as gracefully as Android runs on high-end hardware.

I for one think developers need to stop being lazy and start implementing what needs to be done. Programming on Android apps, in many cases, not all, are sloppy and inefficient. It's those sloppy apps that cause Android to lag, not the OS. BUT, it's the OS that allows those apps to be sloppy to start with. This is why some people claim that Android never lags, and others claim it lags bad. It can very much depend on what apps you are running.

Lucky for me, I've always put myself in a position to where if I were to have to work alongside a sloppy programmer, I was either able to get that person removed from the team, fire them myself, or leave and move on to a better job. There is no excuse for not putting everything you have into whatever you do.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss