The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-12-2015 01:56 PM
72 123
tools
    everything is great except one major thing- apps. If ms focuses on them maybe in my opinion hire or buy or pay top developers then Windows Phone will beat the crap out of ios and droid. Rest everything wp has is better than both the other os. I just hope ms takes quick steps.
    11-01-2015 08:28 AM
    I agree that not much reason for other os users to switch to wm10.
    That continuum wont be enough. Beside with google plan to merge android and chrome os, seem they will Also offer their own continuum.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    11-01-2015 10:21 PM
    I agree that not much reason for other os users to switch to wm10.
    That continuum wont be enough. Beside with google plan to merge android and chrome os, seem they will Also offer their own continuum.
    I think the big problem now is to keep current WP users. Other os users? I really don't know!
    11-01-2015 10:29 PM
    after years of windows phone i lost my patience last month i went to the nearest store and i bought my first android phone i gave Microsoft the chance to do more but everything moving slowly.

the only way right now for me to use windows phone again if i get one for free other than that i'll keep my android for a year or two before jumping back to windows phone. i'll keep reading the news and watching the upcoming events as usual.
    11-02-2015 01:50 AM
    For me it's not the time to give up on Win 10 Mobile, but the way things are developing, it's heading for that direction, unfortunately.
    I started in may with my first windows phone (Lumia 930) and the 8.1 gave me a good impression. The ease of use, like the typical NOKIA EASE OF USE menu's that mosttly makes sense, Now being a part of the insider program for some time, I must admit, I'm sceptic. Microsoft is heading away from the Nokia Ease of use, and the menus are more confusing. Some additions like integrating Skype into messages, and the message center pisses me off.
    First of all: The message center should be optional. Second: If choosing to use message center, I should be able to decide what I want to be shown in it.
    When I open Messages on my phone, there are all recent Skype conversations, presented as messages..................I don't need that. Messages is for me, SMS/MMS..........if I want any other additions (like Skype) that should be my option, not Microsofts.
    So basically, what I mean is: What Microsoft think I want ,and makes it default), that should be presented as an OPTION to add. That will give any win phone user the opportunity to customize the phone, just as wanted. In that case Message center won't **** me off.
    I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I belive there will be someone out there :)
    So please Microsoft: Give me a basic OS which is Nokia Easy To Use, and give me the option to add functionality based on MY needs.
    11-04-2015 03:46 AM
    I too am frustrated with the lack of progress on Windows phones. I loved my 920, only replacing it with a 1020 due to the camera. They had to prise the 920 out of my hand!

My 1020 has now started to make the scream when taking pictures so it'll need fixing asap (warranty runs out in Jan). I've wanted a replacement since my contract expired a year ago and there just hasn't been a worthy successor to the 1020. I'm disappointed with the shot to shot time, and overall speed of the phone at times.

The 950 is looking good, but that could just be because it's shiny and new.

My main priority is the camera, a good camera and that's me sold. I started to look at the android offerings (I have allergies to partially eaten fruit), and I narrowed it down to a Galaxy S6 and a LG G4. Then I saw the UI, it's been a while since I had my last android, 3 years in fact. Nothing seems to have changed, it seems to still have the old Windows 3.1 Progman.exe ui. I just can't go back to that.

So I will almost certainly get the 950 despite it's lack of developer support and hope, just hope, that things get better. If not at least I've got a UI that I like, with a web browser that does most of what the apps that I'm missing do anyway.
    11-05-2015 06:46 AM
    When I open Messages on my phone, there are all recent Skype conversations, presented as messages..................I don't need that. Messages is for me, SMS/MMS..........if I want any other additions (like Skype) that should be my option, not Microsofts.
    So basically, what I mean is: What Microsoft think I want ,and makes it default), that should be presented as an OPTION to add. That will give any win phone user the opportunity to customize the phone, just as wanted. In that case Message center won't **** me off.
    Actually, you can have SMS/MMS messaging, and Skype Messaging seperated, but they stay in the messaging app.
    Just unlink the contact persons profile in People, of who you have both there phone number, and skype info from.....
    If you link both persons profile in people, you get an "iMessage" like experience, where SMS/MMS and Skype are integrated in 1 conversation.
    11-05-2015 07:49 AM
    Actually, you can have SMS/MMS messaging, and Skype Messaging seperated, but they stay in the messaging app.
    Just unlink the contact persons profile in People, of who you have both there phone number, and skype info from.....
    If you link both persons profile in people, you get an "iMessage" like experience, where SMS/MMS and Skype are integrated in 1 conversation.
    What would make more sense is for Skype to synchronise the read status. I'm fed up of using Skype on my pc all day to find I have 324 unread messages on my mobile that have been read on my PC hours ago. I'm going to miss important sms messages as I'm now ignoring the glance notification.
    11-05-2015 09:16 AM
    i gave up
    after about a month with a 735, i just cannot stand the super crappy facebook app and the lack of a real facebook pages manager app.
    windows 10 is an improvement, but, the windows camera is just such a huge downgrade over the lumia camera. the camera is[was] the only drawing point windows phone had, so unless they suddenly figure out the camera, and develop a functional app as basic and widely used as facebook, microsoft may as well nail up that coffin.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-06-2015 05:39 PM
    i gave up
    after about a month with a 735, i just cannot stand the super crappy facebook app and the lack of a real facebook pages manager app.
    windows 10 is an improvement, but, the windows camera is just such a huge downgrade over the lumia camera. the camera is[was] the only drawing point windows phone had, so unless they suddenly figure out the camera, and develop a functional app as basic and widely used as facebook, microsoft may as well nail up that coffin.
    Can't blame you for your lack of patience...the OS/app experience didn't meet your needs, so you switched away after just a month.
    The universal Facebook app is coming though - and I'm pretty sure they won't dump the stellar lumia camera app altogether as it still remains one of the few apps that isn't available on other platforms.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-07-2015 06:07 AM
    I would rather say all the WP fanboys feel so special and being non-mainstream, eagerly. Indeed WP is totally different from Android or iOS - but in a bad way.
    To answer the initial question this thread started with: for me MSFT already has given up on mobile devices. It is pretty obvious: the lack of flagship devices for almost a year, cr*ppy builds crawling slowly and irregular out to devices, delays, excuses and no straight red line - in the design of the new OS and in the way how it is developing. Plus they started adapting elements from competitors to their own OS. Formerly platform-exclusive apps have been ported to Android and iOS which are more carefully designed and rich in features compared to their WP-counterpart. It is pretty obvious which "priority" the own mobile platform has for MSFT.
    This way W10M won't attract (new potential) users and even for the current users we can notice many of them feel very disappointed and move on to competitors for good reasons. If the company has already give up on something it is stupid to keep holding onto it.
    Maybe things change with a x86-based surface phone or something revolutionary. But no evidence for that.
    Face it, we are riding a dead horse. I would not waste my money and buy a 950 (XL) now.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 12-12-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    Kram Sacul and theefman like this.
    11-09-2015 06:54 PM
    It's just funny to see how those windows phone fans are crazy about "surface" phone as if this is the ultimate answer. Before the icon and the 1520, people are saying "ohhh the new flagship will be nice, top-spec, killer camera blah blah". By the time they really hit the market people are saying I'd better wait for the next flagship and stay with my 920/1020. Right before the 950/xl it seems all fans are crazy but right after the launch people are saying it's not the real flagship and they want a "surface phone". it's just seems become a game of chasing the next big name. What if MSFT announced 950/xl as surface phone? You guys gonna chasing for what? Hololens phone? Lol

In the end still a big group of "windows phone fans" are expecting MSFT brings out more high-end devices while they still with their three years old 920/1020, making no profit, no market share to the company and dreaming one day WP will come up.....
    11-10-2015 01:34 AM
    The only problem with Windows phones and Microsoft is "Coming Soon".
    Prince Pusey and Vyenkatesh like this.
    11-10-2015 01:40 AM
    Even greathardware won't help if the OS running on the devices is halfbaked cr*p. Sorry but that that is what W10M atm. MSFT could do better as you see how things going for the desktop version. It is just they accepted that there is no future for W10M.
    11-10-2015 08:28 AM
    For me, I need a phone that will work in the car. Microsoft has no story for using your phone in the car, unlike iOS and Android. The lack of MirrorLink support in Windows 10 Mobile is really frustrating. Why even be a member of the Car Connectivity Consortium if you have no plans on ever supporting the standard? So, I guess whenever I replace my Lumia 640 XL, I will be getting an iPhone. I spend many 10 hour days in the car, and having nothing for road warriors is too much miss out on.
    11-10-2015 10:41 AM
    To answer the initial question this thread started with: for me MSFT already has given up on mobile devices. It is pretty obvious: the lack of flagship devices for almost a year, cr*ppy builds crawling slowly and irregular out to devices, delays, excuses and no straight red line - in the design of the new OS and in the way how it is developing. Plus they started adapting elements from competitors to their own OS. Formerly platform-exclusive apps have been ported to Android and iOS which are more carefully designed and rich in features compared to their WP-counterpart. It is pretty obvious which "priority" the own mobile platform has for MSFT.
    Pretty much. It's so obvious that MS gave up on WP/W10M shortly after 8.1 and every decision afterwards has been desperate, poorly thought out and generally half-**ed. The users and fans care far more for this platform than MS ever did.
    Prince Pusey likes this.
    11-10-2015 02:55 PM
    ”Worse” as in in it will be very hard for MS to fight Google/Apple with Continuum vs apps and programs that people actually use...

Can anyone imagine a company saying “no, we do not need apps as long as we get Continuum” or youngsters saying “well, I do not care if I can not use my bank or get the app for the next music festival, airline, travel agent, school etc as long as I get Continuum”...

I guess however that more than a few could have argued, “I’m sad to lose the apps but I can accept it as long as I get Office, OneDrive, Xbox, OfficeLens, OneNote, Outlook etc”.

3% was the peak for WP/W10M and without anything extra but a lot less (vs competition) it will only lose more and more interest.
    Microsoft is more for productivity, I think they need to let us have some fun now since we have been so loyal with them. Allow us to have some fun apps, its been years now we have apps issues.
    12-04-2015 07:00 AM
    So true!!!
    12-04-2015 07:01 AM
    Been using windows since 510 was the most popular windows phone. I've seen the development and they are coming from a far. There are time I get frustrated but I don't see a another os I would switched to. Limited apps is our major downfall!
    12-12-2015 01:30 AM
    [WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]
    Vyenkatesh and xandros9 like this.
    12-12-2015 01:40 AM
    I personally like what they are doing. It is not fully implemented and we have to see where it goes. WP is not Android or ios, it is more of a work phone that can also be used for personal things. Will it ever have all the apps the others have? I wouldn't bet on it but it still suits my needs. It's a mobile computer.
    12-12-2015 07:47 AM
    12-12-2015 01:56 PM
72 123