Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruoh

May 17, 2015
Visit site
For me, it isn't so much the missing apps, but the non-updated apps. Pandora, Di.FM and Spotify are all missing functionality on the WP platform vs IOS and Android. That's just three I can name off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same across the board.

rebinoh

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
While I feel your pain, as another poster stated, much of the problem lay with the companies refusing to support the OS.

If you TRULY need those apps for work, you may consider having two phones - one for work and another for personal use. I don't know how feasible or practical that is for you.

I would think a person in your line of work would have a company supplied phone as not to incur extraneous charges for the things you need to do for work.

I understand some of what you're going through, but it's not truly all the fault of Microsoft. Snapchat, Google and some others have vehemently stated that they will not support the OS - which is a ludicrous declaration from a marketing perspective.

Hopefully with the ability to easily port Android and iOS apps via Projects Astoria & Islandwood will alleviate your issues. I would say "hang in there", but I understand why you wouldn't if it affects your bottom line or bread and butter.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Snapchat is for adolescents. And yes there are hundreds of millions of em using it...until it gets supplanted. Kids follow trends and fashions and most of em have a short shelf life. This has always been the way. Anyone bemoaning the lack of this app should realise it's gonna be okay. You will grow up and not need it anymore anyway. The need to share every single mundane non event in life will pass...trust me ;)

If you considered 20 and 30 year olds as adolescents then sure. Plenty of people from ages 15- 35 use the app, no need to act like its just for children just because you dont understand it.

Its not for everyone, and I understand if a lot of you guys dont use it, but there is no reason to be so negative and make up random things to make the app look bad.

If you dont care about it thats fine, move along and continue not worrying about it, but for a lot of people it is an important app and if you guys truly want WP to succeed then you will need to get important apps like SnapChat on the platform, otherwise people wont come over or stick around for long.

Edit: Just saw your post after the one i quoted. Nice to see you weren't serious but a lot of people seem to be.

Last edited:

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Microsoft's mobile solutions since version 2.11 of Windows CE. So I really feel your pain. I'm convinced there is no future in Windows Phone or any mobile product using Microsoft technology. Even Microsoft has apparently abandoned the platform. All new releases of Mobile Office have gone to iOS and Android first. We are still waiting for release to Windows Mobile and it won't come until Windows Mobile 10 is released. Windows RT was promised mobile apps but they were never delivered and now that platform has been abandoned. I have asked, on several forums, if people thought there was any hope for Windows Phone and got few supportive comments from people who were oblivious to the changes in Microsoft's behavior. As they say, "Actions speak louder than words." I believe Microsoft has washed their hands of Windows Mobile. The current last ditch effort is only there to placate devoted users. I see no way for Microsoft to continue development in Windows Mobile. The majority of their staff has either been laid off or are working on other projects.

As far as app development is concerned, Microsoft keeps changing the rules requiring developers to start over or at least to make significant modifications to their apps just to keep up. Look at Windows Mobile, Window Phone 7, then Windows Phone 8 and now WM10. Each iteration has required developers adopt a new working environment to keep up and required significant rework of their apps just to stay in the current environment. Considering the returns on investment for apps developed for Android and iOS, the choice is easy.

Its a sad day. I feel as if I've been stabbed in the back, again (WM, Zune, WP7, WP8, ...) Microsoft is going to have to show good faith by developing for their platforms first, if they want me to come back.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Temple run, subway surfer, instagram, WhatsApp calling, Candy Crush and now Snapchat. Can you see the pattern? Apps come(with some delay) and go. OS prevails!

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
why not have both?.. i've used windows mobile on and off since htc titan.. i've also used most of the flagship android phones of 2014/15 and yet i'm always drawn to windows os.. for me, i just like the windows os better than ios or android.. yes, there are some app gaps for me, but i realized they are not a deal breaker.. i'm using a lumia 640 until the 950 comes out (950 will be my daily driver).. but i'll also get an inexpensive android as a backup and for those occasions where i might need an app that windows might not have..

roberttusing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I too have been eager to see if the Windows 10 Universal apps would help close the gap, however one disturbing trend I have seen is the lack of development for Windows 10 desktop apps. It seems most developers have the mindset that as long as they have a browser based solution they do not need to develop apps. I have seen a couple instances where a company has flat out said that they were only doing apps for iOS and Android and everyone else has a browser on there PC.

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Four of those you listed are in the Windows Store (some with a persisting beta tag). But there still is no Snapshat or Subway surfer correct? (I don't find them). So, I guess I'm missing the pattern you are talking about. I'm not sure what you are describing.

Unless you are talking about Apps being really popular and fading. I would suggest that Instgram and WhatsApp are still widely used. But that may be because I keep in touch with allot of friends who travel quite a bit and live throughout the world. Not everyone's usage scenario is similar to mine at all.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Here are some examples of how the app gap/situation eventually led me away from Windows Phones:

- In the 3 years that I've owned my Lumia 920, I went from loving the Chase banking app to losing the app before the 950 XL came out. This wouldn't be such a big deal, if the Chase mobile website allows you to scan in checks. Losing the Chase app means you now have to drive to the bank as opposed to saving a lot time just scanning the check with your phone.

- There is no app for our home alarm system on Windows Phones. Everyone else at home with an iPhone is able to use the app except me.

- I used Glympse to share my location with my wife whenever I am driving. However, Glympse stops sharing my location if I use the Nokia Here Drive app. So I'm forced to choose between sharing my location and not using a navigation app, or using a navigation app and not sharing my location. (One solution to this was to use the gMaps app along with Glympse. However you lose the cool My Commute feature on the Nokia Here Drive app.)

- Another cool naviagation app is Waze, which is pretty much left for dead on the Windows Phone platform.

- The Facebook app on Windows Phone, is just not up to par with its counterparts on other platforms. For example, you can't reply to a specific comment in the FB app, like you can when using the website. or when using the app on an iPhone. I also frequently run into errors when trying to upload photos and videos.

- The Amazon, GroupMe, Spotify and Viber apps on Windows Phone, are not up to par with its counterparts on other platforms.

- There is no Sony Action Camera app on Windows Phone.

- My car has a Pandora feature that I have not been able to use until I switched to an iPhone. Sure I can do bluetooth streaming with Pandora on Windows Phone, but I have to make an effort to like/dislike songs on my phone, as opposed to doing it easily on the big screen on my car's headunit.

Microsoft is in a really, really tough spot with this app problem. They need developers to make more apps for the Windows Phone platform, but to do that, they need more users to use Windows Phones. To get more users to switch to Windows Phones, they need more apps to make it acceptable for iPhone and Android users to switch to Windows Phone. It is a cycle that is currently not helping the platform grow. Add to that, the number of fanboys that claim there is no app gap, are also not helping the platform grow.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
If you need apps for work, then work should provide you with an iPhone or Android phone to do work. Then get a Windows Phone for personal use. I don't see this app gap getting any smaller anytime soon. Windows Phone OS has not kept up to my lifestyle and interests. I like Cortana and have always loved the camera on my 920, but without the apps or infrastructure to share those photos, then it's useless for the most part.

With my iPhone I can share on the big screen with my AppleTV or even Comcast Share app. With my Android work phone I can still share photos with the MS Dongle USB. With my 920 I can only share on my phone at home. Sad. Even the XBOX ONE app and more importantly Outlook app is better and more reliable and usable on my iPhone than my 920. There is not even an official Starbucks app for my 920 running Windows Phone 10 Fast Insiders Edition. Really?

I would still love to have the 950XL when it comes out, but it still won't be my daily driver.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
A lot of you guys are complaining about waiting for the app gap to close for years. Always going each iteration will be the one that helps. Honestly, all that time you waited was wasted as Microsoft has never tried to address the app gap. It's actually with windows 10 that is the first time they are trying. It's through the focus on developer tools and bridges. Universal is not there to solve the app gap. It's to make the platform more appealing to consumers. The tools are the biggest difference in anything MS has ever done. You can blame your waiting on Balmer. He didn't know how to tackle the problem. I think Satya deserves a fair trial. He knows the cost of development and maintenance. That it's not viable on a platform like windows if the volume isn't there. So he goes to the root of the problem, Development! By making development costs and time next to nothing there is no reason why someone wouldn't publish there app. Any revenue it generates will be extra revenue. There are developers on android who want to publish their apps already but MS has been pushing back for the time being as it's not ready. At least at the time of the reddit post that I saw. There is definitely interest.

IntensityTX

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat and I've been looking at possibly replacing my 1520 for a iPhone or Android device until a Surface Phone is launched and allow some time for more universal apps to launch. With twins on the way I've finding there are really no apps for monitors or cameras in addition to other baby related items, stores, etc.

I've been so faithful to Windows Phone that I even switched from Chase to Wells Fargo after Chase dropped support for their app. Other apps I wish I had are ADT Pulse, Destiny, Starwood SPG that included the door access functions, and Southwest Airlines.

What held me back before was the fact that Microsoft's apps weren't on other devices. What still holds me back is the horrid UI's of both Android and iOS compared to Windows. Even my mom misses her WP because of the UI, but even I couldn't argue with the app gap when she switched back to iOS.

Coming from a Web Dev agency, the only reason websites were WP compatible was because I use a WP. My Android and iPhone loving team could have cared less. And there were even instances where I had to recommend not to invest in certain adjustments or fixes because the volume of devices didn't justify the expense. (Pre-Edge) And a WP app would have never happened. With the Universal Apps, there is a valid business case to make to justify their development. It's just that MS needs to come up with a plan or create a department to target Digital Agencies and internal Digital Marketing Departments. The Bing team already has their foot in the door.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Here are some examples of how the app gap/situation eventually led me away from Windows Phones:

- In the 3 years that I've owned my Lumia 920, I went from loving the Chase banking app to losing the app before the 950 XL came out. This wouldn't be such a big deal, if the Chase mobile website allows you to scan in checks. Losing the Chase app means you now have to drive to the bank as opposed to saving a lot time just scanning the check with your phone.

- There is no app for our home alarm system on Windows Phones. Everyone else at home with an iPhone is able to use the app except me.

- I used Glympse to share my location with my wife whenever I am driving. However, Glympse stops sharing my location if I use the Nokia Here Drive app. So I'm forced to choose between sharing my location and not using a navigation app, or using a navigation app and not sharing my location. (One solution to this was to use the gMaps app along with Glympse. However you lose the cool My Commute feature on the Nokia Here Drive app.)

- Another cool naviagation app is Waze, which is pretty much left for dead on the Windows Phone platform.

- The Facebook app on Windows Phone, is just not up to par with its counterparts on other platforms. For example, you can't reply to a specific comment in the FB app, like you can when using the website. or when using the app on an iPhone. I also frequently run into errors when trying to upload photos and videos.

- The Amazon, GroupMe, Spotify and Viber apps on Windows Phone, are not up to par with its counterparts on other platforms.

- There is no Sony Action Camera app on Windows Phone.

- My car has a Pandora feature that I have not been able to use until I switched to an iPhone. Sure I can do bluetooth streaming with Pandora on Windows Phone, but I have to make an effort to like/dislike songs on my phone, as opposed to doing it easily on the big screen on my car's headunit.

Microsoft is in a really, really tough spot with this app problem. They need developers to make more apps for the Windows Phone platform, but to do that, they need more users to use Windows Phones. To get more users to switch to Windows Phones, they need more apps to make it acceptable for iPhone and Android users to switch to Windows Phone. It is a cycle that is currently not helping the platform grow. Add to that, the number of fanboys that claim there is no app gap, are also not helping the platform grow.

The Kindle app has been broken for years. That's all it would take to bring me back. Well, that and a decent new phone on Verizon, but I guess one is as unlikely as the other.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
.Add to that, the number of fanboys that claim there is no app gap, are also not helping the platform grow.

I don't want, need and will never use any of the apps you mentioned. So, does that make me a ****** because the phone serves my needs with the apps that are available? Or, maybe it just makes me a satisfied customer. Calling names doesn't help the cause, either.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was WP's biggest fan, but I couldn't take the app gap anymore. Very happy with my boring 6s+ but with all the apps in the world (especially Bank of America).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I never get this meme that posts, I'm leaving because I don't have snap chat and yours is a must for work. If you say you dig the platform and defended it, why does snapchat and instagram make you abandon the platform you claim to love so much? If its about work, get an android device for work. My job got one for me. I don't need it for social media stuff but if needed, I control it. You posted about some gap which is instagram and snapchat. Thanks for the resignation post but it really wasn't necessary.

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have an old iPhone 4S for work and a Lumia 928 for personal use. They were released 18 months apart or so but the difference is so insanely disparate. I loathe having to type on the 4S, I loathe trying to browse (and wait the commensurate minutes to load webpages) on the 4S but it's the device I have to have if I want work email and IM. I use it for banking and some mindless little racing game I let my son play but it's a fragile, frustrating glass email and IM work-enablement device. I have a 928 that could be used to break open a bank vault (or the stupid 4S) and still make a call, it's significantly faster to use, as well as a [much] more user-friendly experience. I also happen to have many more apps on it than my iPhone, and bonus, I can get to them easily. Granted, I am not one that is very down with the latest social media extension so there are likely apps I don't know to miss. It's not to suggest that there's not a sizable and notable app gap, but for many of the folks that parrot that as a reason to not adopt WPM, is there really a gap for them or something the Verizon wireless sales rep told them they'd hate about a Windows Phone (so don't buy one).

For the OP and those that have a bonefide reason to need apps that aren't available, I get it. I just chose to use a work phone and personal phone but I totally understand why many folks would not do so.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Understood, completely. It doesn't need a cross platform application developed for it to work. Just sync the data between whoever's app you like, and the access online. For that matter, a properly coded website should give a good experience in a browser.

The short list of apps that would actually be used on both a desktop and phone/tablet are... welll... extremely short.

The people who keep saying this have no idea what they are talking about.
The concept is completely lost on them.
They have no need for cross platform apps and can't see the benefit of having such.

Suggesting a browser to access apps is very very short sighted and well, really old fashion.
And a really crappy way of doing things.

BTW, Chrome is a piece of crap. Always has been.

Edge is not much better unfortunately.

Cross platform apps such as Audible, which could allow one to go from the Phone in their car, pause it,
walk inside, say "XBox On", XBOX Start Audible,,,,, Xbox Play" and have it start from where you left off?

Oh right, that's just one analogy.

if that's as far as one can think to see the potential for what Cross Platform apps could be capable of.
no wonder we still don't have Minority Report computing yet. Lack of vision, and a populace stuck in neutral.

"Oh boy, oh boy, gotta get the new iPhone (but it's the same as the old iPhone), no, it's new, see? says it right here.
New 6iSUX."

Get the picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3