Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dueydoodah

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The desktop user base (market potential in numbers) is huge, agreed.

The desire of that base to have the same applications on their sit-down desktop machine AND their phone is.... crickets.

Yes, the browser (Chrome is the winner here) is desired, but what other applications are actually desired ?

If there was a market for cross device applications, developers would be cashing in, instead of ignoring it. THere is NO MARKET for cross device applications.

Actually, I'd love all of my applications and apps to move to my phone, once it pans out that there is an x86 phone. This is coming, and I think it will be here quicker than we realize. I just wish it were here now because I too am struggling to justify sticking with WM.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Now the app gap is an issue? WP has already reached critical mass, let's see if Microsoft will turn things around before it is too late.

*Spoiler Alert*
They won't. You'd think they'd get those "essential" sexting apps like Snapchat down by now (with all the cash they are sitting on)

Rajram

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just go for iphone and use ms services if you love them.... I was and still windows phone lover but unfortunately the platform is having lot of app gaps.... I dont want to have the waiting experience so i switched to iphone last year.. Glad i made the move... The app experience is wonderful and i use ms office, one drive , etc... Once the app gap is fixed and when surface phone premium edition releases then ill be back to windows phone... Until then i dont have to compromise on things on a phone

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat. I jumped from WP to Android (Note 4) and I've been miserable. I always swore I'd never get an iPhone, but as it stands now I may "have to" jump to an iPhone.

I had Android when Verizon first pushed Droid. I left it for WP. WP is a fantastic user experience, but the app gap for my current job is getting too large.

I HATE Android now. I can't stand how clunky it is. They keep throwing hardware at software problems covering up for lazy developers.

photographerdan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat. I jumped from WP to Android (Note 4) and I've been miserable. I always swore I'd never get an iPhone, but as it stands now I may "have to" jump to an iPhone.

I had Android when Verizon first pushed Droid. I left it for WP. WP is a fantastic user experience, but the app gap for my current job is getting too large.

I HATE Android now. I can't stand how clunky it is. They keep throwing hardware at software problems covering up for lazy developers.

I have an android tablet with 2gb of ram, high end tegra processor and tons of memory and after more than half a day of use it'll just come to a crawl. The only way to keep it running at a reasonable pace is through a combination of third party memory managing apps, reboots and uninstalling stuff until I get to the point where I have to do the seasonal factory reset. After the factory reset it'll work fantastic but as time goes on the lagging and idiosyncrasies gradually come back. It's a cycle that still exists today after all of these years and after all of these phones sold. I'm pretty floored at how it's tolerated.

I think people get baited on the cutting edge hardware appeal because frankly the o.s. leaves a lot be desired from a user standpoint. If this were my daily phone I would go insane.

As much as apple might as well be the complete opposite of what Microsoft is. . .it's mobile offerings offer a much more similar user experience when it comes to tight hardware-software integration, stability and overall how polished the os is. Android couldn't be any further from that smooth experience we're accustomed to.

Last edited:

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Everybody experience is different. Yes when it works it's fast and is easy, but when it doesn't work it just keeps saying it couldn't recognize me and then I had to toggle to enter my PIN.

So just like TouchID then?

I have iPhones and iPads with TouchID, and they sometimes don't work too.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
To be completely honest, I don't a flying bag of sweaty toffee's if WP is missing apps, as long as Microsoft don't ditch windows phone and we have a future of ever so slightly improving UI and the ability to pin mobile friendly websites, which in my opinion are far more intuitive than most of the slimmed down apps that try and do the same job, if you want games and trivial potato apps get a cheap Android tablet to sit about wasting your time on, the essentials are there ready for WP users to tap into, be proud that you are using a device that is a step out side the pen full of Apple and Samsung sheep, most people haven't got a clue how homogenised there choices are.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1 Except desktops sales are slumping and hybrids are going up. So....

2 these apps even with GPS are useful for a lot of tablet hybrids with built in GPS.

3 In fact, they make touch screen much easier to deal with than a typical browser.

4 So while your point may be valid for old school methodology, you're not thinking about young people who generally use apps. Ipad has a fully functional browser. In fact, most people I know when they need something they think "is there an app for that". And they will prefer using the app on their phones than going to a website on their PC/tablet.

5 This is also why the ipad is so succesfull with apps. They want their apps on a bigger screen so they use ipad if they have one. I'm one of those people despite growing up on browsers.

6 Put more apps in the store and they will be more likely to use their hybrid or laptop or whatever they have. This is the kind of thinking that will gain traction with the App store.

7 Of course, the app store needs more apps for that to become a reality. So we shall see what happens.

1 & 2 - which hybrids ? i see surface has gps now (congratulations ms, you're waking up!) are there any sales figures to show how it's doing ?

3 this is worded as though touch screens + browsers are a problem, unless an application is used. if it's a poorly coded website with a lot of overlapping UElements, yes. i thought those went away a few years ago. maybe i'm missing them (thankfully though).

4 if this is true, microsoft has lost a generation of users- because there is not 'an app for that' in the ms store. the ipad/android stores, yes, but there's a sticker on the ms store that says 'coming soon, just wait' and the kids aren't waiting.

5 ipad's success was built on timing, excellent UI, and developers clamoring for a shot at a million dollar app, a few years ago. there is no clamor of developers for windows' mobile environment.

6 & 7 this microsoft 'tracton' catch22 has been talked about for years now. no change.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
1 & 2 - which hybrids ? i see surface has gps now (congratulations ms, you're waking up!) are there any sales figures to show how it's doing ?

3 this is worded as though touch screens + browsers are a problem, unless an application is used. if it's a poorly coded website with a lot of overlapping UElements, yes. i thought those went away a few years ago. maybe i'm missing them (thankfully though).

4 if this is true, microsoft has lost a generation of users- because there is not 'an app for that' in the ms store. the ipad/android stores, yes, but there's a sticker on the ms store that says 'coming soon, just wait' and the kids aren't waiting.

5 ipad's success was built on timing, excellent UI, and developers clamoring for a shot at a million dollar app, a few years ago. there is no clamor of developers for windows' mobile environment.

6 & 7 this microsoft 'tracton' catch22 has been talked about for years now. no change.

Yogi tablet pro 2 has had GPS since 2014. Many different OEMs are releasing newer models that also contain it or can be added during build.

Have you used chrome on a touch screen? I don't particularily enjoy it. A lot of websites like reddit or even wpcentral are a pain on a touch screen. If I have apps that can help me avoid it then I do. And while you are cynical, it's fine because you're one of the users that doesn't care to adapt and you have that choice.

Of course MS has lost these users, because they fell behind. That's the whole purpose of them trying to regain those users through windows 10. And they will likely not get those users till they do solve the issue, and that's up to them. They certainly are trying this time around. They never really did previously. They took the wrong approaches no doubt.

Yes, exactly people do want to make money off apps. Websites don't make people much money, especially since most people use adblockers. And obviously those companies who came to the game first are the ones with apps.

Yes, it has been years, doing the wrong approach. So wrong that they wanted the CEO replaced and gave him a nice free card by making him resign gracefully. Plus Balmer was horrible with building relationships. He constantly attacked the competitors, that's not cool at all. They even did some studies that showed political candidates that do attack ads are less trusted and do more harm than good. But not sure if that was only within Canada.

Anyways, you don't have to stay with MS if you truly dislike them so much. They may not always do things right but I do like their services. I used linux for a good 18 years. I switched to windows 10 because I actually liked it.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Relax bro. Do one thing. Buy an Android smartphone (One plus one will be a nice choice) and use it till Windows store has all the apps that you want. Let's stop fighting.....

Not fighting :) just look my signarure and you will see how much I'm into microsoft. since HP IPAQs.

Stephen Townsley

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree. As a basic smartphone and a superb operating system Windowsphone and Windows 10 Mobile are great.

However that is not enough. There is a an ecosystem of functionality that people are using mobile devices for. Even where a Windowsphone has an app the functions are sometimes months (or years) behind Android or IOS.

Despite using Windowsphone for years and keeping a Lumia 930 around mostly I am using Android as my daily phone for pretty much the same reasons as you.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the full wireless cameras NETGEAR ARLO today and when I got home to test. No apps for windows 10 mobile :(
Now I will have to go back and return. There are any other cameras full wireless like the ARLO. Bummer :(

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the full wireless cameras NETGEAR ARLO today and when I got home to test. No apps for windows 10 mobile :(
Now I will have to go back and return. There are any other cameras full wireless like the ARLO. Bummer :(

Ask if they have plans for one. There should at least be a web version or windows version no? You can always remote desktop home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3