Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it will depend on the application. I don't know about you, but I would personally love to use my Kindle (really ebook/audiobook readers in general) on more than one device and then continue reading elsewhere.

Understood, completely. It doesn't need a cross platform application developed for it to work. Just sync the data between whoever's app you like, and the access online. For that matter, a properly coded website should give a good experience in a browser.

The short list of apps that would actually be used on both a desktop and phone/tablet are... welll... extremely short.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Understood, completely. It doesn't need a cross platform application developed for it to work. Just sync the data between whoever's app you like, and the access online. For that matter, a properly coded website should give a good experience in a browser.

The short list of apps that would actually be used on both a desktop and phone/tablet are... welll... extremely short.

I don't like using my browser for everything. Now I have a bunch of apps that run faster, talk directly to the app creator without anything on the web interfering, give me actionable items in my action center and cuts down on my 40+ tabs I leave open in the browser. A good example is Readit, I get messages and I just respond directly in the action center. I don't have to go to a web interface and deal with it anymore. I can go directly into the app and get context and browse reddit in a nice UI.

Hyper for youtube app lets me save youtube videos, has a great UI and lets me customize it to my needs.

Twitter app the same thing.

Ever since I got the apps I have a way smaller memory footprint since browsers tend to grow as more tabs are open and it's way more convenient. It's just the start. Anyone who actually spends some time running some great apps will likely not go back to the web experience. I mean I could never go back to the netflix web experience since the app is so convenient and works like a charm.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I feel.the pain of the OP. I'm in IT and I have to use an iPhone for work. Many of the apps will NEVER be on Win10m, let alone android. So im a dual phone-r. Waiting for the 950xl so I can have one phone for communication and use the iPhone only on wifi. So to the OP, maybe an iPhone for WiFi only?

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I think it will depend on the application. I don't know about you, but I would personally love to use my Kindle (really ebook/audiobook readers in general) on more than one device and then continue reading elsewhere.

Doesn't the Kindle app already do that via WhisperSync cross-platform? Pretty sure last time I used it was for a Microsoft textbook for my Server 2012 upgrade exam and it remembered my last viewed page in the cloud reader in the browser, on my tablet (Nexus 7) and on my Lumia 925.

I can see social media apps being the big drive for universal apps as the companies will want to integrate with Xbox live which is a huge market - look at the number of games (E.g. Angry Birds) which can link directly to social media on Android already. Makes no difference to me, the only social media I used is LinkedIn which already has a Windows Mobile app, but it's pretty obvious the demand is there.

I genuinely can't think of an app I don't have on Windows Mobile that I desperately want. YouView would be nice but doesn't get used often, maybe the Greggs app but I can use the website and it's once a month or less for that anyway.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't the Kindle app already do that via WhisperSync cross-platform? Pretty sure last time I used it was for a Microsoft textbook for my Server 2012 upgrade exam and it remembered my last viewed page in the cloud reader in the browser, on my tablet (Nexus 7) and on my Lumia 925.

I can see social media apps being the big drive for universal apps as the companies will want to integrate with Xbox live which is a huge market - look at the number of games (E.g. Angry Birds) which can link directly to social media on Android already. Makes no difference to me, the only social media I used is LinkedIn which already has a Windows Mobile app, but it's pretty obvious the demand is there.

I genuinely can't think of an app I don't have on Windows Mobile that I desperately want. YouView would be nice but doesn't get used often, maybe the Greggs app but I can use the website and it's once a month or less for that anyway.
You're right, it does. I just said Kindle because it's more of a well known ebook reader. I actually use another reader primarily but I'm not sure how many know of it.

The Kindle app needs an update badly though, I shouldn't have to close the whole app to go back to the main menu but that's for another post, not this one.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
OK, we are both guessing.
I hope you are right and I am wrong!
However, I see a Microsoft that focuses on volume (ios/android) and I let them lead the way.
I might come back in two years (if there is something to come back to and if the situation has improved).

Microsoft does not develop every app for the windows-sphere. App developers do. Microsoft only develops Microsoft apps. Microsoft has put in place the tools necessary for the app developers to easily port their android/ios apps to windows 10 universal pretty well a copy / paste solution. Everyone is crapping on MS for going and making ios and android apps, but truth is they have all the apps built for windows10/mobile already. Why would they sit back and not expand their business.

Everyone here thinks MS creates every app when they don't.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
What makes you think the rate of Windows 10 adoption will actually increase? It has slowed exponentially since the first few days of release.

Not really, I think 150 million people are running windows, its still growing every day. New machines, converters now that most of the details have been ironed out etc. Like I said, that's more than the entire user base of osx. That is 3 months of release. They are also not counting w10mobile yet. Not until release.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The desktop user base (market potential in numbers) is huge, agreed.

The desire of that base to have the same applications on their sit-down desktop machine AND their phone is.... crickets.

Yes, the browser (Chrome is the winner here) is desired, but what other applications are actually desired ?

If there was a market for cross device applications, developers would be cashing in, instead of ignoring it. THere is NO MARKET for cross device applications.

Beg to differ. With the coming of age of 2 in 1 devices, LOTS of users want apps for their tablet style devices, even though they use full windows. Me included. Just easier to hit an app, use it and move on. Plus most apps are NOT available on the web as useable apps.

The market is there, and it's super easy for app dev's to get apps onto windows.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been noticing the app gap of late. My child's school uses a msg app that isn't available, the PTA have a calendar thing that doesn't work on WP. Gumtree doesn't work properly on the browser and there is no app. No app for Schpock. No PopJam app for my daughter. I am grateful for no Snapchat though, as it's the main tool for cyber bullying at my kid's school.
My daughter is saving hard for an iPhone and this is the generation that WP is losing. Not one of her friends has a WP.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been noticing the app gap of late. My child's school uses a msg app that isn't available, the PTA have a calendar thing that doesn't work on WP. Gumtree doesn't work properly on the browser and there is no app. No app for Schpock. No PopJam app for my daughter. I am grateful for no Snapchat though, as it's the main tool for cyber bullying at my kid's school.
My daughter is saving hard for an iPhone and this is the generation that WP is losing. Not one of her friends has a WP.

Islandwood and Astoria should really help out in such scenarios... I certainly hope Microsoft gets those projects out of the gates and promotes the hell out ot them ! They really should be breaking down doors and even offering to migrate existing apps for such institutions and companies..

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have been noticing the app gap of late. My child's school uses a msg app that isn't available
When you asked or demanded they accommodate people like you, what did they tell you? If nobody asked, its not on them.

Is it a public school? If it is, there is a VERY good chance you can get access on WM because of TWO factors: (1) if the app/service was paid for even partially with taxpayer money including the salaries of anyone who sends the messages, anyone who pays those taxes has equal rights to use those services. So unless the school provided the devices, they would need to accommodate taxpayers who use Windows Mobile. (2) govt entities do not want to be guilty of promoting or requiring a particular brand. They couldn't tell parents their kids could only bring Mott's brand Apple Juice to school and they shouldn't be able tell parents they have to use an Apple (pun intended) brand phone to get a service.

If those arguments fail, provoke some official to say something like only morons use Windows Phones, then you have them on an ADA violation.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
When you asked or demanded they accommodate people like you, what did they tell you? If nobody asked, its not on them.

Is it a public school? If it is, there is a VERY good chance you can get access on WM because of TWO factors: (1) if the app/service was paid for even partially with taxpayer money including the salaries of anyone who sends the messages, anyone who pays those taxes has equal rights to use those services. So unless the school provided the devices, they would need to accommodate taxpayers who use Windows Mobile. (2) govt entities do not want to be guilty of promoting or requiring a particular brand. They couldn't tell parents their kids could only bring Mott's brand Apple Juice to school and they shouldn't be able tell parents they have to use an Apple (pun intended) brand phone to get a service.

If those arguments fail, provoke some official to say something like only morons use Windows Phones, then you have them on an ADA violation.
That's not how public service works. And it's highly probable the app isn't on the WP system yet. Whether that changes is a discussion for another time b

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm in the UK, they use Parentmail, a well known service here. I do manage using the browser, but it's not ideal. The funding for it is raised by the PTA, asfaik I am the only WP user.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK, we use parent mail too. I know in the only one rocking the 1520 - everyone else is on an ithing. The browser gets tedious, unfortunately, but I have a surface for each of the kids so sorted.

ghaikal

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Apps gap is getting wider. Alot of developers are dumping the WP. Basic apps for average users. FB messenger, FB, are way behind compared to IOS and android. Snap chat do not exist !! Banks, airlines and carrier apps are missing. It's all because of market share of WP. !! Without the basic apps, No market share. .... Some one will jump and say blame the developers of those apps. It's a closed circle of blaming. And the looser is the WP.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Apps gap is getting wider. Alot of developers are dumping the WP. Basic apps for average users. FB messenger, FB, are way behind compared to IOS and android. Snap chat do not exist !! Banks, airlines and carrier apps are missing. It's all because of market share of WP. !! Without the basic apps, No market share. .... Some one will jump and say blame the developers of those apps. It's a closed circle of blaming. And the looser is the WP.

In Italy where WP commands over iphone you can find any app there. A developer from reddit was there on vacation and they had every major service or anything he wanted to use. It's about market share. And so far MS doesn't have it here. And I think the more flagships they push the more it will grow. North America is all about the big bad flagships. Even when it comes to cars they want their big bad powerful cars hehe.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK, we use parent mail too. I know in the only one rocking the 1520 - everyone else is on an ithing. The browser gets tedious, unfortunately, but I have a surface for each of the kids so sorted.
Mainly Samsung things amongst the parents, there's a few fruit phones too. The kids mainly covert iPhones, daughter has a 535 or 530(?), she's apparently deeply uncool.
Also I supposedly get WiFi calling with my carrier, but it requires an app, which they don't make for WP.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Also I supposedly get WiFi calling with my carrier, but it requires an app, which they don't make for WP.
Worth double checking. T-Mobile used to require an app for Wi-Fi calling but iPhones and newer Windows phones have WiFi calling baked in if a carrier allows it. Ask your carrier if new iPhones need an app. If they don't, the 950 shouldn't either although the carrier could still withhold it.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In Italy where WP commands over iphone you can find any app there. A developer from reddit was there on vacation and they had every major service or anything he wanted to use. It's about market share. And so far MS doesn't have it here. And I think the more flagships they push the more it will grow. North America is all about the big bad flagships. Even when it comes to cars they want their big bad powerful cars hehe.

The fact Microsoft is allowing pre-orders and has more information available for European countries reflects this. A friend of mine and I have been complaining about Microsoft not giving 1st class treatment to European countries for the market share and now that they are doing that I feel saddened and my friend is bitterly complaining.

Hopefully Microsoft is now focusing on where they are being well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion