Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Again a generalized statement. Just because there is an app gap for you doesn't mean that everybody feels the same way. So stop speaking for us. You are not our elected representative.

There is hardly any argument in America that WP has a major app issue. As WP fans we need to be honest with each other and you are in serious denial.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There is hardly any argument in America that WP has a major app issue. As WP fans we need to be honest with each other and you are in serious denial.

Can you please stop with this kind of talk? Not just you, but everyone who talks like this. It's kind of annoying. My dad has a WP and there are no apps he is lacking. The phone suits all of his needs and wants. To him, there is no app gap.

To me, there might be an app or two that is nice, but I'm even struggling to think of that at the moment. A bank app would be nice, sure but I don't really do that kind of activity on my phone much. Now if I have to deposit checks because of business or so, there would be one for me. Snapchat seems uh, different. Periscope, I can't be bothered.

However, of course I would like for some apps to be improved, such as the Kindle app.

jropelato1

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Exact same boat. Picked up an iphone 6s plus while I wait and see what 950 brings to the table app wise. Hate most of it, but some stuff works so friggin well.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So I am dishonest if our thoughts are out of sync? Speak for yourself, not for me or others or even other Americans. I have more than 50 apps on my Lumia. These include all the major banks - HDFC, ICICI, CITI; all the major service providers - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, paytm, all the major food outlets - Faasos, FoodPanda, McDonalds, all major shopping sites - Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, Ebay. Even games of new Bollywood movies like Dhoom 3 only launched exclusively on Windows mobile. You know nothing about us and then make a generalized nonsense comment. Come on man. I am HONEST when I am talking about MY experiences. May be you are suffering from short sightedness.

Last edited:

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So I am dishonest if our thoughts are out of sync? Speak for yourself, not for me or others or even other Americans. I have more than 50 apps on my Lumia. These include all the major banks - HDFC, ICICI, CITI; all the major service providers - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, paytm, all the major food outlets - Faasos, FoodPanda, McDonalds. Even games of new Bollywood movies like Dhoom 3 only launched exclusively on Windows mobile. You know nothing about us and then make a generalized nonsense comment. Come on man. I am HONEST when I am talking about MY experiences. May be you are suffering from short sightedness.

You speak of YOUR experience while at same time TELLING people that "our" and "us" are happy with things, as if you yourself speak for a group? Who that mouse in your pocket?

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you please stop with this kind of talk? Not just you, but everyone who talks like this. It's kind of annoying. My dad has a WP and there are no apps he is lacking. The phone suits all of his needs and wants. To him, there is no app gap.

To me, there might be an app or two that is nice, but I'm even struggling to think of that at the moment. A bank app would be nice, sure but I don't really do that kind of activity on my phone much. Now if I have to deposit checks because of business or so, there would be one for me. Snapchat seems uh, different. Periscope, I can't be bothered.

However, of course I would like for some apps to be improved, such as the Kindle app.

I'm ok with not having all the apps, but you just described the app gap.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Here's a quick rant-ish of sorts:

I have been a Windows fan for a long time. Had a Windows 7 Phone, still use original Surface RT, have a Band, etc, etc.

I have been using a replacement Win HD phone since my 930 cracked and stopped working. I have been a big proponent or defender of the OS. And to this day, I have never had a big issue with the App gap. In fact, I saw Windows 10 as the difference maker - Universal Apps means more Apps!

But now there have been several apps released that I use or need to use for work - Periscope, Instagram (with video), Snapchat plus many many more. I mean I feel the gap is getting worse, not better. While many platforms have supported Windows 10, how long will it take?

Will Windows 10 Mobile launch with all these apps already at least in a beta stage? For the first time since my Windows 7 Phone, I'm actually considering altneratives. I work in MKT, I need Snapchat, I need Periscope, I need a functioning Instagram. Plus other brand apps. "Hey, test my app." or wait, I can't, because almost no brand ever designs anything for Windows 10.

I'm going to even extend the purpose of this particular post and say that even with Windows 10 out now for a while and in many million PCs, the Apps really are not flooding the Microsoft Store.. but this is about Windows 10 Mobile mainly, so I'll keep it at that.

Thoughts?

I feel your pain...the icing on the cake was the 950XL not working on Verizon. I so wanted this phone and I can't change due to work. I tried out a Note 5 and as much as I loved my Lumia ICON, I just couldn't give up many of the apps I didn't have or that were so much better on Android. I am also a big proponent of Windows Phone but I am officially done with the "wait and see" approach. I've had an epiphany of sorts and I've decided to embrace cross platform and be platform agnostic but with a high percentage of Microsoft Services. May move off of Groove if they don't improve the Android App and go to Play Music or Amazon Music.

And totally agree...the apps are not flooding to the Windows Store as they should and I don't think it is because developers are waiting on mobile to be released. Project Astoria and Islandwood should have taken off by now but it is more "wait and see."

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

So I am dishonest if our thoughts are out of sync? Speak for yourself, not for me or others or even other Americans. I have more than 50 apps on my Lumia. These include all the major banks - HDFC, ICICI, CITI; all the major service providers - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone, Idea, paytm, all the major food outlets - Faasos, FoodPanda, McDonalds, all major shopping sites - Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, Ebay. Even games of new Bollywood movies like Dhoom 3 only launched exclusively on Windows mobile. You know nothing about us and then make a generalized nonsense comment. Come on man. I am HONEST when I am talking about MY experiences. May be you are suffering from short sightedness.
Calm down. I don't understand how either "side" sees the other opinion as contradicting their own.

It's like saying there is an obesity problem in the US. That doesn't mean EVERYONE is fat.

So basically, iPhone and Android users pig out on apps while Windows Phone users are the trim and fit among phone users.

Sorry. I started out with good intentions but couldn't resist throwing another log on the fire at the end.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm soon leaving the plattform.
I was probably one of the first lumia 920 buyers and I've been loving the platform since then. After the Lumia 920 my next and current phone was the Lumia 830. I've also converted many people to the plattform.

I also remember that there was a time when you could see tons of apps arriving to the platform. This was more or less after the release of the Lumia 520. That period gave me lots of hope.

But ever since the market share started to decline, I've experienced a lot of apps being abandoned, and not many apps at all being released. And most of it all, I'm tired of waiting.

So I'm buying soon a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I'll get back to the platform if ever, when the app gap is fixed.
I'll believe the app gap is fixed when I see it.

Agreed...I prefer the platform over Android but the app gap is bad and in a way, I feel more "powerful" with Android at times...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
the main point though was... very few applications are useful (used) between a handheld and a desktop (or laptop) to need an app.... and if they are, the web interface (chrome normally) does a good job.

i don't normally download 8Gb files over torrents on the phone, but shapefiles and renders on the desktoop being downloaded / uploaded are almost constant. maps and other huge files, yes, happens on the desktop, not on the phone.

gps / gis stoftware is used all the time on the phone, rarely on the desktop

twitter/facebook/reddit/forums/whatever works great in a sync'd browser (chrome) and negates the need for an app

i just don't see very many (at all) applications that are actually being demanded for both desktop and phones, for this to matter.

Except desktops sales are slumping and hybrids are going up. So.... these apps even with GPS are useful for a lot of tablet hybrids with built in GPS. In fact, they make touch screen much easier to deal with than a typical browser. So while your point may be valid for old school methodology, you're not thinking about young people who generally use apps. Ipad has a fully functional browser. In fact, most people I know when they need something they think "is there an app for that". And they will prefer using the app on their phones than going to a website on their PC/tablet. This is also why the ipad is so succesfull with apps. They want their apps on a bigger screen so they use ipad if they have one. I'm one of those people despite growing up on browsers. Put more apps in the store and they will be more likely to use their hybrid or laptop or whatever they have. This is the kind of thinking that will gain traction with the App store. Of course, the app store needs more apps for that to become a reality. So we shall see what happens.

I have to disagree on part of this. The fact that the OS is not yet RTM is not an excuse of the apps missing or lacking features. On IOS this does not happen and did not happen ever with a beta OS: see IOS 7 which was a complete OS refresh. If a developer is really interested in a platform WILL release an app while the OS is still in beta and will focus on apps that are missing: see Italy for example which has apps for banks, shops, local facilities on WP too because there the market share is higher than other regions. If Microsoft keeps on kicking users with their idiotic policies such as many of them: recent one with the onedrive fiasco, they won't be able to gather more customers, and will for sure lose many of the current ones.
In Romania, game consoles are being bought like hot cake, games too. But here most prefer the PS4 instead because of the always online stupid policy on the xbox one...you could have a connection issue from your ISP and your xbox one won;t play any games...how nice is that??
Getting back to the app situation, whether many like it or not, it's MS's fault all the way that devs don't pay interest and users are not switching.

Most of the apps out are using 8.1 API. Developers know 8.1 is completely being removed and the tools are not 100% ready yet. This isn't an Apple scenario where nothing really changes for the developer except new features. So they are testing new beta features on an app that is already out without those features. It's a big difference. Windows 10 really is completely rewritten. This is why you see this disconnect between 8.1 MS apps and the current ones. You are missing features, etc. Why would that be if they could just re-use the code. No they have to write it from scratch. And I don't really know much about the xbox but I agree online policy is really bad. They really need to change that when xbox's get updated to Windows 10.

And my bank for example supports both the desktop and mobile so i'm super happy with it. And the apps are awesome too not just some bad web wrappers. They are actually better to use than their website. So easy and fast. Everything is laid out nicely. So yah a bank should know they need to cater to all their users. And with the big money banks make their should be no excuse not to have an app because of development costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Exact same boat. Picked up an iphone 6s plus while I wait and see what 950 brings to the table app wise. Hate most of it, but some stuff works so friggin well.

Even the apps we had on Windows Phone are just so much better on iOS/Android...not that Facebook and FB Messenger are critical apps but OMG, they are so much better on Android...love the "chat heads." Love having quick and easy access to kids school apps, chore apps...everything seems snappier.

And yes, I do believe Windows Phone is the best platform and I may come back of the app gap closes.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It's like saying there is an obesity problem in the US. That doesn't mean EVERYONE is fat.
It does not mean that every country on earth has an obesity problem just because your country has an obesity problem. Take Europe as an example. Unlike USA where hardly 1% people use windows phone, in the big 5 EU countries more than 14% people use windows phones.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You speak of YOUR experience while at same time TELLING people that "our" and "us" are happy with things, as if you yourself speak for a group? Who that mouse in your pocket?
I never said that "we" are HAPPY with things. I just said "our experiences". That can be anything - +ve or -ve. Neither I nor you have the right to say anything about it. BUT MY experiences have been pretty good!

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It does not mean that every country on earth has an obesity problem just because your country has an obesity problem. Take Europe as an example. Unlike USA where hardly 1% people use windows phone, in the big 5 EU countries more than 14% people use windows phones.

In the birth land of Cortana and Surface Books, the gap does exist.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't want, need and will never use any of the apps you mentioned. So, does that make me a ****** because the phone serves my needs with the apps that are available? Or, maybe it just makes me a satisfied customer. Calling names doesn't help the cause, either.

I apologize if calling you a ****** offended you. My wife calls me a ****** all the time because I'm a .NET developer who has a Windows 10 PC, a Surface 3, Xbox and well, used to have a Windows Phone. It doesn't seem to offend me that I'm called a ******. I like what I like, I choose what I like. Anyway, I again apologize if people are offended by the words ******.

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
It seems odd that there's SUCH focus on the app gap from the broad view. The number of apps on a phone are not the only value proposition. I never heard app gap as a deal breaker for Mac migration in the nineties (yet folks tried to use it), it was cost, and value, and upgradeability... The user experience was what was touted as the key differentiator (to the benefit of the Mac). It's funny how the marketing of why one must apt the iPhone and Android are the app gap. And why you shouldn't adopt Android is due to fragmentation. So only the iPhone is truly acceptable because no app gap, and no fragmentation?? This is marketing that had found it's way into the broad acceptance of good phone/bad phone.

I say BS. My user experience is MOST important to me and, again to me, there's none better than Windows Phone. There is an app gap but it shouldn't be so oddly weighted in the platform's merits.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So we seem to have this cycle of arguments here, where people say, I have all the apps I need/want, there is no app gap for me. And other's say, I don't have all the apps I need/want, so there is an app gap for me. I'm going to try and explain this as simple as possible.

Let's say we have 3 WP users, Bob, Dave and Charlie.
- Bob is from Europe, uses a lot of apps but has all the apps he needs/wants. Is there an app gap for Bob? No.
- Dave is from Asia, uses very few apps and has all the apps he needs/wants. Is there an app gap for Dave? No.
- Charlie is from America, uses a good number of apps BUT DOES NOT have all the apps he needs/wants. Is there an app gap for Charlies? YES.

So considering all the WP users in this equation, not just users in the US, all the users around the world, is there an app gap for the Windows Phone platform? YES.

We are not enemies here, we are all supporters of Windows Phone. I understand people don't need the same amount of apps other users need, but if you want the Windows Phone platform to survive, if you want new Windows Phones to keep coming in the future, you should recognize that the app gap exists and is a major threat to the platform's survival. Microsoft, as large as they are, is not going to keep throwing money into Windows Phone if the market share doesn't improve, because as a business, it doesn't make sense to spend money on something that is not benefiting the company.

How do we improve the Windows Phone market share? We need more users. Microsoft has already gone after the low end users with their budget phones in the past. It is not enough. In this day and age, that means we need people to switch from their iPhones and Androids to Windows Phones. How do you get those iPhone and Android users to switch to Windows Phone? You make it easy for them to switch to Windows Phones by making the apps they love available on the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)