Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Yogi tablet pro 2 has had GPS since 2014. Many different OEMs are releasing newer models that also contain it or can be added during build.

1 Have you used chrome on a touch screen? I don't particularily enjoy it. A lot of websites like reddit or even wpcentral are a pain on a touch screen. If I have apps that can help me avoid it then I do. And while you are cynical, it's fine because you're one of the users that doesn't care to adapt and you have that choice.

Of course MS has lost these users, because they fell behind. That's the whole purpose of them trying to regain those users through windows 10. And they will likely not get those users till they do solve the issue, and that's up to them. They certainly are trying this time around. They never really did previously. They took the wrong approaches no doubt.

2 Yes, exactly people do want to make money off apps. Websites don't make people much money, especially since most people use adblockers. And obviously those companies who came to the game first are the ones with apps.

Yes, it has been years, doing the wrong approach. So wrong that they wanted the CEO replaced and gave him a nice free card by making him resign gracefully. Plus Balmer was horrible with building relationships. He constantly attacked the competitors, that's not cool at all. They even did some studies that showed political candidates that do attack ads are less trusted and do more harm than good. But not sure if that was only within Canada.

3 Anyways, you don't have to stay with MS if you truly dislike them so much. They may not always do things right but I do like their services. I used linux for a good 18 years. I switched to windows 10 because I actually liked it.

1 i agree, reddit and wpcentral work very poorly with touchscreens / chrome. the vast majority though, work flawlessly. i'll dismiss that as badly designed websites, not a browser issue.

2 if ads weren't jumping in front of my reading content, i wouldn't block them.... but i doubt 'good' ads will ever happen, so the adblock plugin stays up to date and working.

3 you've misunderstood this. i don't want microsoft to fail, i want them to actually be a competitor in mobile. well, SOMEONE to compete with android and ios anyway. i don't actually care who it is, but another competitor (just occupying a very distant third place position is not competing) to keep google and apple on their toes. microsoft barely edges out palm for third right now, google and apple have nothing to worry about from microsoft. that's a shame, i WANT the benefits consumers can have by three players (or four) in the mobile market.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
App gap wont be fixed over night, but i still believe in W10M in this, because of pure logic... If everything will be as MSFT said it will (thats of corse critical), if it would be a matter of few clicks to port any Android and iOS app into universal Windows app, which would than be availible to a wast audience of PC users and those few of us who love Windows Phone (mobile), I dont see a reason why wouldnt any developer exploit this chance for expansion into another market?... If it will be that easy, why not get milions of another costumers right?... On the other hand iam not developer and i dont know how this bussines work, so iam jast guessing based on what i understand MSFT is planing for Windows 10. Iam also sure that if all this will work as they said it wont be any time soon so we definitely need patience, but in the meantime, there are at least lots of third party apps to use... even though not for every app... (how i miss sketchbook from autodesk) :) (sorry for my english i am from czech republic and lazy :D)

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been noticing the app gap of late. My child's school uses a msg app that isn't available, the PTA have a calendar thing that doesn't work on WP. Gumtree doesn't work properly on the browser and there is no app. No app for Schpock. No PopJam app for my daughter. I am grateful for no Snapchat though, as it's the main tool for cyber bullying at my kid's school.
My daughter is saving hard for an iPhone and this is the generation that WP is losing. Not one of her friends has a WP.

... and this is where the app gap is more pertinent, IMHO. Those seemingly innocuous regional apps: library, school-related, credit union, etc.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The App gap is getting larger, watching TV advertising Apps that are only for Iphone or Android,
makes we wonder if I have to start carrying 2 phones. I been writing in Feedback about this
problem that the Apps need to be available for Windows phone. This will turn off potential phone
buyers of Window phones, they are unable to provide apps that are needed. Security, TV apps to
watch,and get the news and weather, bank apps (Chase and Bank of America). With the gap
makes the phone worth less then the Iphone and Android.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Another app. I bought Star Wars Battlefront and there is no companion app for Windows Mobile... Again.... Microsoft needs to work with the partners

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The best way to help Windows to improve is to suggest something that Microsoft can do like providing inbuilt Wireless file sharing option on Windows (~AirDrop). But Microsoft cannot go to every new developers and request them to make apps. Even if they go to all the developers, there is no guarantee that some new developer will not skip Windows tomorrow. So the best way to improve the app situation is to make your OS so good that people will have to buy Windows phones and then the developers will follow the users.
The only thing that CRYING about any particular app on this forum will do is to drive away the FUTURE POTENTIAL Windows phone users. They will get scared of this platform and never switch to this OS. Is that what we want?
[I hope that this post will not be considered as TROLLING!]

Last edited:

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Neither Draft Kings or Fan Duel have apps for WP and both are EXTREMELY popular in the US just turn on a TV commercials everywhere and even their own infomercials on direct TV
The sites themselves don't work well on my 1520's

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A fond but sad farewell...

I am bidding a sad farewell to WP. I?ve replaced my Icon (a wonderful device in many ways) with an iPhone 6s. I thought I knew iOS pretty well because I have an iPad and I?ve been providing tech support on my wife?s iPhones and iPads for several years. But after a week, the 6s and iOS are cooler than I expected. I knew I?d lose Qi charging and that I?d have a couple of now-useless Lumia charging plates, but the transition was easy, everything works, and my personal app gap is gone.

The one transition problem that took a while to fix was that I couldn?t connect to my office Exchange server. I thought it was some obscure problem on the phone, and it took some Googling to figure out that it was a problem at the server end -- phones I?ve owned over time (including an Android phone that I ditched within a month) had filled all 10 of the available device slots; deleting some long-dead phones from the list solved the problem.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: A fond but sad farewell...

I am bidding a sad farewell to WP. I’ve replaced my Icon (a wonderful device in many ways) with an iPhone 6s. I thought I knew iOS pretty well because I have an iPad and I’ve been providing tech support on my wife’s iPhones and iPads for several years. But after a week, the 6s and iOS are cooler than I expected. I knew I’d lose Qi charging and that I’d have a couple of now-useless Lumia charging plates, but the transition was easy, everything works, and my personal app gap is gone.

The one transition problem that took a while to fix was that I couldn’t connect to my office Exchange server. I thought it was some obscure problem on the phone, and it took some Googling to figure out that it was a problem at the server end -- phones I’ve owned over time (including an Android phone that I ditched within a month) had filled all 10 of the available device slots; deleting some long-dead phones from the list solved the problem.

I did the same except went Note 5 but also decided to return Band and go with the LG Smartwatch. My heart is for WM10 to succeed but I've "waited" since the days of "Windows Mobile 6.5" and the "Zune" and all of the products I early adopted...I may return if the app gap improves.

AVN37

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Also, as of tonight, the HotelTonight app version for Windows Phone is discontinued... Just got the email.

Recently Mint, now this, Astoria was my hope for the app gap but now with that dead, my long internal fight regarding what to get next is really pretty much decided towards Android... Partly because of other things like the price of the L950 but also because I'm tired of the missing apps. It's a sad goodbye, though.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, as of tonight, the HotelTonight app version for Windows Phone is discontinued... Just got the email.

Recently Mint, now this, Astoria was my hope for the app gap but now with that dead, my long internal fight regarding what to get next is really pretty much decided towards Android... Partly because of other things like the price of the L950 but also because I'm tired of the missing apps. It's a sad goodbye, though.

another one

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

That's a heck of a situation but I don't blame you if you got to have that hotel app. Especially if you spend the majority of your life traveling where a hotel app is key. and that one is the only game in town, don't stay here. Just go. Sorry you didn't have another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss