Status of Project Astoria/Islewood?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It would seem as though these "bridges" are already crumbling....

Microsoft seems to have gone dark on Project Astoria and some devs who would rather not be named have said the private beta forums for Astoria have gone quiet for weeks.

Regarding Islewood, it was open sourced on GitHub but if you check that out there's very minimal activity. If you dig around there you will even find a Microsoft employee who states that the project team is very small with minimal resourcing.

What is the deal? These two bridges were supposed to be a huge part of the "resurgence" of Windows Phone and assist in getting apps fast.

With Windows 10 Mobile approaching RTM next week - how is it Microsoft isn't trumpeting these new bridges to devs?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I guess the leaked astoria project pissed them off? or they gathered enough data to be sure that it would work lol in any case I don't expect to hear anything about that until december or even january 2016

(we could be surprised with the threshold update tho hehe)

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I guess the leaked astoria project pissed them off? or they gathered enough data to be sure that it would work lol in any case I don't expect to hear anything about that until december or even january 2016

(we could be surprised with the threshold update tho hehe)

I sure hope we at least get a couple apps that can be used as showcase for other devs.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope we at least get a couple apps that can be used as showcase for other devs.

According to MS, they were working closely with android/ios devs to get us a few apps, so they better give us sth soon -_- fallout shelter wouldn't be bad :D

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I think they are trying to fix the issue where android was causing W10 performance to degrade. So until then, i dont see them announcing anything.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Too funny. In all seriousness tho, I hope that the dev's see that there is profits to be made over here once they open the window...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So, Astoria is no more.

Probably for the best. Islandwood needs to really be put on overdrive now

I agree. Since their announcement I've been saying Astoria needs to die and that Islandwood is the more important project. I'm relieved MS has finally woken up. It's a shame they had 80 people wasting their time on Astoria. That's the only real tragedy here.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Well looking at the git repository it definitely seems like they're making progress. November 18th-19th is the Microsoft.Connect() conference where they'll definitely be talking about mobile development and various tools. Hopefully they announce something then?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I was bummed until I learned that Android apps are written in Java. JAVA?!?! Nevermind - Islewood much more attractive for devs, and better for us as it compiles to native Windows 10 code.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon