W10M Positive Thread

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Lol!!

There is SO much negativity surrounding W10M, isn't it about time we actually had something positive. The majority of the boards are full or nay-sayers and detractors, and to be honest, as a BiPolar sufferer, it's gonna send me into a massive downer ( yeah, like I'd let it bother me that much ).

So, what positives do you guys and gals have regarding this... It can't all be doom and gloom. Don't forget, unlike some OS's and big manufacturers, MSFT haven't dropped some older devices like a stone.

What do I think? I'm running the latest TP on my 1320 and to be honest, it's alright. Yes I had issues, but I got there in the end. Maybe, for continuity across the W10 environment, a start menu like the PC version, ie something like an app drawer, rather than swiping left. But WM has always been about the tile system, and to be honest, it just works, so leave it alone.

So, Roll on RTM, and watch the boards fill with more doom and gloom and the old chestnut of WM is dead.... We could do with a bit of optimism, not pessimism!

Over to you.....

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Been using it on my office computer since it became available and its great. Very stable and fast. I rolled back with my sp3 because I like 8.1 better on a tablet. Much more touch friendly.
Also I agree with you on the doom and gloom crap. Ridiculous. But no matter what MS does your going to here about what they should have done.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I quite like W10 on my dual-screen workstation, although for pure desktop use it's hardly any better than W7. Because I don't like the flat, colourless look of W10 I've actually gone back to W7.

W10 is brilliant on my Sony Vaio Duo hybrid. The way it switches between desktop mode and tablet mode automatically when I open or close the keyboard is great and incredibly useful. I can't say I've noticed any difference in wake-up or start-up times, or any other aspect of its performance. Battery life is supposed to be better, but again it doesn't seem different enough to be noticeable. On the whole, though, it's a FAR better implementation of a dual-mode OS than W8.1 ever was.

I've been using W10M on my phone and hate it. The WP8.1 UI is superb, in my view, and makes iOS and Android look like clunky old has-beens. The W10M UI looks and behaves almost exactly like Android-plus-live-tiles, and abandons all those lovely design language innovations we got in WP8.1.

In summary, for me:

Desktop workstation - W10 is fine but so is W7. Don't like the flat, colourless look so have gone back to W7 for now.

Tablet/laptop hybrid - W10 is fantastic and handles the dual role perfectly.

Mobile phone - Hate it; it's lost all the UI goodness of WP8.1 and is now just an Android look-alike. Why would anyone bother with it?

So, not entirely positive, but not entirely negative, either.

WalrusTangerine

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not actually running the preview on my phone, and my phone is definitely not getting the update from MS, but it looks like a large improvement from WP8.1 and I'm looking forward to trying it out. True, some of the apps do look a little like Android, but it still has enough of what I liked from before to keep me on WP for now.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Mobile phone - Hate it; it's lost all the UI goodness of WP8.1 and is now just an Android look-alike. Why would anyone bother with it?

So, not entirely positive, but not entirely negative, either.

I have to agree on that. I do like some of the improvements made to the os but the UI is a big step backwards

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
W10M is the reason that I am still here! It looks so much better than 8.1. I love the edge browser, finally the settings menu makes sense! Being on Verizon I was tempted to throw in the towel and try out Android but the promise of W10 has kept me on board. I love it!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I love w10m too. Its awesome. I had to roll back because at that time Lumia camera was not available for my 1020. Now that it is, I am hoping to be back on 1020 as soon as the official gets rolled out this week. I will jump on the fast ring again.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I was a little skeptical a few months back but am now a happy convert. I prefer the crisper look of the UI on my 640XL and the extra row of tiles is a welcome addition. Don't really understand how some people are saying this is a step back. It takes a little getting used to but now i wouldnt go back to 8.1 now. Looks clunky in comparison. Feeling very positive about it all now having jumped to using 581 on my daily driver. Shall be getting my mitts on a 950 XL before too long.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree on that. I do like some of the improvements made to the os but the UI is a big step backwards

I always thought, with it's bold colours, 8.1 looked like it was designed by a 5 yr old with a box of crayons!:excited:

I like the full transparency of W10M start screen without the big black tile dividers. It's nice to have all the settings etc, in a logical place rather than the haphazzard listing in 8.1. I like the new outlook, which allows you the same freedom as 8.1 did, separate account tiles if required..

I have to agree the speed and smooth operation of 8.1 was superb, even on my clunky 1320, didn't need to keep adding coal to the boiler!!

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Settings is far superior to the WP 8/8.1 model
UI is very similar to Windows 10 so it's familiar.
UI is more in line with other phone OS offererings. Some people may hate it, but I think it's cleaner.
One handed mode.
Universal Apps.
Transparent start screen.
Search box at the top of the app list
No more pivots/panorama. Sorry, they may look nice, but they're less then functional when you have more than 2-3 slides.
Better Notification Center.
Built in Flashlight app.
Better SD card support.
File Explorer.
Skype + Messaging.
You can set your default Camera plugin.
Overall snappiness. It's faster than 8/8.1

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lol the only positive part for me is that it still exists, so I don't have to resign and plan on getting a droid or iPhone next year or just wait indefinitely until my lumia dies(more likely scenario)

Manuel Meirinhos

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I am indeed very happy with W10M!

Everything seems much mature, visual is slick, and with the last update it is smooth to run and getting much faster!
My favorite things are the Calculator app (lots in just one app!), Outlook, Notification center with all those control icons, System...
Even the Camera is now my main one instead of Lumia Camera on my 930.
Been using as well Facebook beta, which approximates much better to the overall feel of W10M.

The only thing less positive is the keyboard.. I always loved it even since WP7 for being so fast and clever, never missed a word. Now on this one I am constantly pressing the wrong keys, which are a bit smaller. Shouldn't be, as Lumia 930 is much bigger than my previous ones, Lumia 820 and LG E700...

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
What's sad is WC has been taken over by the "doom and gloom" crowd that have nothing better to do than gleefully proclaim the demise of MS & WP. Sure the odd point they have is valid but so are the ones that like WP so far. Funny, bet the "D&G" crowd are the same ones that slagged WP8/8.1 when it first came out but now 8.1 is the gold standard. If these lads are so great at mobile OS design and building why aren't they making them.... oh wait, n/m.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy Groove Music, streaming from my OneDrive - all my music in one place and accessible from all my devices.

The keyboard is actually pretty good if you use swype style typing. I rarely type letter by letter anymore. Even the microphone input is good.

I like the new Outlook for my corporate and Outlook.com accounts. I like that I can save attachments and attach any files I want to the e-mails. A must for corporate accounts.

The live tiles are actually more impressive on the phone than on the desktop, as I find myself glancing at my start screen for 10-20 seconds to get a quick feel for what's going on - I check my weather tile, news tile for headlines, Cortana for my watch list, and my calendar tile for what's coming up next.

I like the Skype integration, especially with the phone capabilities. For $7/mo you can get a Skype phone number assigned to you, and for $2/mo you can have an unlimited dialing plan in the US. So for $9/mo I can have a VoIP solution that works on the phone, integrated with various apps (phone, messaging, and Skype). This is excellent for business users who can have a VoIP product that spans their desktop (with a headset), tablet, and cell phone - all for $9/mo. The new features for Office 365 Skype for Business are going in this same direction - I'm looking forward to it.

mxzhonkey

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I can't be the only one, I like W10M!

I just wanted to say I quite like the newest mobile build. I will buy a 950xl.

I tried to use my brother's 830 on 8.1 today and felt like I stepped back years.

The current UI looks great and reacts the way it should. The performance was on par with the 830 coming from my 630 (interm phone after my 1520 was stolen).

The 830 is a good phone and I cannot wait until he steps up to 10.

The only thing I really miss from 8.1 is the pivoting with Cortana other than that I cannot think of a reason to switch back.

I want a x86 phone but I can wait, the 950s look great outside of the stock photos, I for one will buy one as soon as they are available.

akshay waghray

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: I cant be the only one, I like W10m!

is the latest build good to install on daily driver lumia 630DS with 512 RAM....i am having this only phone.....Plz suggest....

mxzhonkey

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: I cant be the only one, I like W10m!

I'm on a 640 but it runs great. Basically the same performance as 8.1 on my brother's 830 which has the same SOC. I would do upgrade to this build if it was me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb