W10M Positive Thread

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: I cant be the only one, I like W10m!

Exactly what I wrote in another post. The last build is like night and day compared to previous one.

The start screen is beautiful, the Live Tiles work great, the OS is fluid even running on my work Lumia 640. It is impressive how this cheap phone is giving a great experience with W10 mobile.

So far, it definitely erased all my previous fears as an insider and it is a terrific upgrade from W8.1 especially considering all the universal app which are much more powerful. Also, Edge flies compared to IE11 on the 640.

Great !!!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

There are quite a few people on here who are happy with how W10 is shaping up but we meet in secret so as not to arouse the anger of the 'W10 is crap and Windows phone is dead brigade' who explode in anger at any suggestion that W10 is anything other than a shambles ;)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

There are quite a few people on here who are happy with how W10 is shaping up but we meet in secret so as not to arouse the anger of the 'W10 is crap and Windows phone is dead brigade' who explode in anger at any suggestion that W10 is anything other than a shambles ;)

I think that brigade was secretly started by Apple and Google for fear that W10M will eventually overtake and bankrupt Apple and Android.

I'm loving W10M on my 640. I'll never be able to go back to 8.1 now. Nor will I ever use iOS or Android after this. I can't go backwards. W10M is just too great.

Wajeeh Maaz

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I love it. 10581 was the difference between night and day in terms of performance, but it's still lagging on my L635 :( Not up to 8.1 standards. Hoping it will be fixed in the next build!

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I fell in love with wm10 from early on in the previews, I don't get why everyone is so judgmental of it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I like it a lot!! More than happy with it for a preview. Runs well on a 1320 with just a couple of 'liveable' bugs. None as serious as those who like to shout all the time.... You have to keep ducking down to avoid low flying teddy bears on some threads ;)

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I haven't used it much but I've enjoyed the experience so far. It's such a shame the app gap is spoiling the experience a little but other than that they've done a good job.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site

Truth. I absolutely LOVE W10m. I couldn't go back to android now... it would drive me insane.

I read through all the posts and I can't believe how many people hate it and think windows will be bankrupt next week because of it. It's great to see I'm not the only one who loves it.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

@mxzhonkey You're not the only one, I like W10M too, and a lot of other people loves it!

I'm loving W10M on my 640. I'll never be able to go back to 8.1 now. Nor will I ever use iOS or Android after this. I can't go backwards. W10M is just too great.
+1

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I love W10 even more than I loved wp7. Windows, for me, has solved the chaotic/droll user interface (android/ios), and has made great strides in usability and efficiency. Can't wait to see what the future holds for this OS.

mxzhonkey

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Exactly what I wrote in another post. The last build is like night and day compared to previous one.

The start screen is beautiful, the Live Tiles work great, the OS is fluid even running on my work Lumia 640. It is impressive how this cheap phone is giving a great experience with W10 mobile.

So far, it definitely erased all my previous fears as an insider and it is a terrific upgrade from W8.1 especially considering all the universal app which are much more powerful. Also, Edge flies compared to IE11 on the 640.

Great !!!

I agree on Edge, it smokes mobile IE in the last couple builds, I had trouble with it in the first few builds that it was available, but now it rocks.

The app gap sucks I know. I am not much of an app guy, I tend to just use the browser. The only app that I really miss out on is snapchat since all of my friends use it, but I'm not going to cry about it. I can live being left out on occasion :wink:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The performance was on par with the 830 coming from my 630 (interm phone after my 1520 was stolen).

According to those who have measured, W10M is slower than WP8.1 at pretty much everything.

If you've got a newer device (like your 830) W10M will run slower than WP8.1 did, but not to a degree that is bothersome. If you have an older device however, the performance penalty is enough that AAWP recommends possibly not upgrading:

Slower? Testing Windows 10 Mobile vs Windows Phone 8.1

To put things in perspective, most operations on a relatively new quad-core L830 running W10M are slower than the same operation on a very old dual-core L920 running WP8.1.

mxzhonkey

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

According to those who have measured, W10M is slower than WP8.1 at pretty much everything.

If you've got a newer device (like your 830) W10M will run slower than WP8.1 did, but not to a degree that is bothersome. If you have an older device however, the performance penalty is enough that AAWP recommends possibly not upgrading:

To put things in perspective, most operations on a relatively new quad-core L830 running W10M are slower than the same operation on a very old dual-core L920 running WP8.1.

That is interesting, except their testing methods were kinda wonky. There is no test with 8.1 on the 830, but that has no bearing on the comparison

The 830s SOC is similar in speed to the S4 in the 1020, the S4 even has a better gpu on the SOC. While the 400 has a quad care they aren't clocked that high and pretty much all of the apps they tested don't use multiple cores, thus the slower clocked cpu is going to be slower.

Lucky for me I can hold up the 830 and the 640 together and press the buttons on them. The 640 and the 830 have same SOC, roughly the same resolution (if not the same, I cannot remember currently), the camera differs but other than that they are very similar in performance specs.

I can tell you right now that there are a few things I noticed while they were side by side. 830 launched Cortana quicker ~.5 seconds, but the 640 was quicker back to start. The way w10m processes speech to text is significantly faster. w10m just feels smoother to me, wp8.1, while quick, is jarring in the animations. Action center feels better and more customizable, in my opinion.The task switcher is light and day better, I hated using the 830 on that.

Thoughts?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Lucky for me I can hold up the 830 and the 640 together and press the buttons on them.

I'm able to do the same with 2 Lumia 635s. One with 8.1, the other with 10. There are very few actions where 10 is slower, and in most cases, 10 is faster. I don't think those benchmarks reflect actual real life usage, at least not the way I use it. 10572 was slower, 10581 is faster. Builds before 10572 were practically unusable to me with the delays. Just my personal observations.

I like it on my 640 the best, though.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Crap. I was happy with 8.1 and was going to hold off until RTM to install WP10. Now idk

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Slower? Testing Windows 10 Mobile vs Windows Phone 8.1

That test is a joke. Any attempt to infer something from that is absurd.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Quick, cage his optimism!

Then let it out in the wild so it can affect others like a contagious yawn :excited: .

Joking aside, I have noticed a speed difference on my 920 where Wp8.1 is quicker then again it is fairly ancient by today's standards and of course the new phones will be ridiculously quicker.

Never the less the transitions will really skew any speed test(s) performed and not to mention it will also depend what apps / services are running in the background.

A fair test would be to use completely fresh phones which are in the same tier, not attached or sync with a Microsoft account and if possible the exact raw specs. If your going to compare the HTC W8 with a 520, then that is hardly fair is it lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos