MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I see ppl complaining on here with very little knowledge of what it takes and how long it takes to upgrade/improve/change an OS. Especially Windows. Windows is the most complex OS there is from what I know and read. Windows M10 shares much code with it's full OS counterpart.

Just because you want this feature/option now doesn't mean it's that easy to implement. Look where WM10 is now. Damn near feature even with every OS (mobile), in less time that it took the others to get to their point.

I'm extremely happy with wm10. It's beautiful, smooth and efficient. I would love to have more apps, but I don't buy a device based on that. I have many other wants and priorities that comes first. The Windows ecosystem more than meets my needs, with differentiating pc forms, tablets and phones.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been testing this disgusting W10 on a Lumia 635 and 640. It runs the worst on the 635 and is BARELY acceptable on the 640. Cortana is a completely loss on both devices, and there is no smoothness in any of the operation of apps and screens.

I've been testing build 10581 on both a Lumia 635 and 640. I find the performance every bit as good as 8.1 and I really don't get where you're coming from unless you didn't do a device reset to get a fresh install. It is very smooth and fluid with everything on both, and I'm able to switch apps much more quickly on W10M than on WP8.1, as I still have a Lumia 635 running WP8.1 to compare with. I'm also having no issues with Cortana.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Nobody likes the truth Microsoft should be embarrassed of how long it took to come this far on w10m.
Indeed it's just becoming a bad joke.

Apple crushes MS when it comes to bringing out a new OS. Pickup a iPhone 6s and how finished iOS 9 feels. Look at the new features they added.
Android as well, especially the Nexus devices.

I'm a Microsoft phone ****** but I swear Microsoft has their B team working on mobile.
Rather the C team...

New flagship phones are about to drop with half baked OS on it. WOW.
That is likely going to happen. Crazy spending so much $$$ on being a MSFT betatester with your 950/XL. But good for those who still not lost interest: reviews will be devastating of course and phones won't sell well. So we can expect a huge drop in price within the next months at least.

Joni Sin

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
as long as my Lumia 920 still a life (barely) , will keep using it , and will update it to any abomination that ms offer to replace the awesome wp8.1 :p

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Indeed it's just becoming a bad joke.

Android as well, especially the Nexus devices.

Rather the C team...

That is likely going to happen. Crazy spending so much $$$ on being a MSFT betatester with your 950/XL. But good for those who still not lost interest: reviews will be devastating of course and phones won't sell well. So we can expect a huge drop in price within the next months at least.

I thought that the beta was over....

Haddo20

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I cant believe everyone is whining over this, first MS hasn't ditched windows phone, just windows 8 which will be replaced by 10, and everyone keeps forgetting that windows 10 is being built constantly and is in full steam after windows 8 flop. Microsoft will only focus on usability for now. BTW Rome wasn't built in a day. (give it time, or you could just switch to ios or android MS isn't forcing you)

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Solid and fast? Not anymore, it's not. W10M is NOW exactly like Android in the performance department. By that, I mean it completely depends on the hardware you have it on. WP7 and WP8 did NOT depend on the hardware, and ran great on everything. I've been testing this disgusting W10 on a Lumia 635 and 640. It runs the worst on the 635 and is BARELY acceptable on the 640. Cortana is a completely loss on both devices, and there is no smoothness in any of the operation of apps and screens. Oh, sure, I'll just bet it runs quite well on a 6-core or 8-core machine with loads of RAM. Welcome to Android's world.

As for Skype, as bad as it is on WP8, its worse on W10. This weird, nonsensical quasi-integration they've cooked up doesn't even function correctly, nor does it do so intuitively.

I do not believe anything that us diehards love about WP8 will ever be made right on W10---if Microsoft even keeps them at all. I don't think they care. This is CERTAINLY true of W10 on the desktop/tablet. More so, in fact.

I suspect the insider builds are debug builds, which have a bunch extra checks and unoptimized code. I suspect the release build will be faster.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Insider builds are indeed debug builds... Did you really not notice that your system slowed down significantly on wifi? That's because it was phoning home for it to push out error, telemetry, and other data points. By joining the insider program you are basically giving Microsoft allowance to get any and all data they need out of your phone usage. This is absolutely not a privacy issue so don't start spouting that it is.

Most of this will be turned off in the RTM version.

cpmcgrath

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Solid and fast? Not anymore, it's not. W10M is NOW exactly like Android in the performance department. By that, I mean it completely depends on the hardware you have it on. WP7 and WP8 did NOT depend on the hardware, and ran great on everything. I've been testing this disgusting W10 on a Lumia 635 and 640. It runs the worst on the 635 and is BARELY acceptable on the 640.

I picked up a Lumia 532 to try out Windows Mobile 10 as I didn't want to install it on my primary device yet. This is a phone I literally picked up for AU$30, I don't know the specs but I think it's safe to say it's at the low end. Windows Mobile 10 is smooth, fast and hasn't looked like crashing once.

Earlier builds might have been a dog on such devices, but the current build is great.

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how many key universal official apps has added to the store so far from banks, games.. ?

No announcement at all, and Ipad pro still beating Surface because of the claim of better app store. Terrible when a more powerful product gets beat up by such a way.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Have been on a lumia 525 then the 640 with WP 8.1. I have been using my phone for calling and productivity to carry out my work. upgraded to WP 10 build 10581. The difference is huge. email has the full functionality, attaching documents, downloading to download folder etc. edge browser is fast and smooth on web. all it needs is cut and polish.

If your whining about W10 beta (hence insider build) & not noticed any improvements, then you have not used WP 8 or 8.1 for productivity. I used ios, android but stopped at WP for it's simplicity 7 smooth performance. in a few months, all the banking apps and other major apps will have windows apps, due to they being able to reach both desktop, tablet & mobile audience..

feel sorry about the people who keeps whining about UI, when u have a whole lot of great things here...

trooper11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wonder how many key universal official apps has added to the store so far from banks, games.. ?

No announcement at all, and Ipad pro still beating Surface because of the claim of better app store. Terrible when a more powerful product gets beat up by such a way.

If you read some reviews about the iPad Pro, you'll notice most make it pretty clear that this is a poor attempt for Apple, pointing out the obvious issues against the Surface. It literally is just a bigger iPad with some new accessories.

The app store claim is not as useful here since the idea is that its a device for getting work done, and Windows far outweighs Apple's app store for software use to get things done.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am typing on an LG G4. I also have a Lumia 920 running the latest build of 10. Android has felt far better and polished than WM10 currently does since roughly late 2011.

Well I would not say really from 2011. I remember back then the 2.1 and 2.2 were such a pain and the overall design was not that good, but compared to WP7 at that time and 7.5, Android was already gaining users and had much more apps.
As it is now, it really is much more polished in every aspect. Where can you find Windows 10?: In an ongoing never ending beta stage, another OS reborn from a company that simply does not know about getting things right. Yes, Win10 has lots of potential, but at this rate, with the lack of QC on MS's side, both desktop and mobile will see many months from now, until a decent stable and at least 95% bug free build will be released.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Just because you want this feature/option now doesn't mean it's that easy to implement. Look where WM10 is now. Damn near feature even with every OS (mobile), in less time that it took the others to get to their point.

I think you need to re-evaluate the last sentence however the main issue is lost features. Take a look at feedback to Microsoft on universal inbox for example.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
in a few months, all the banking apps and other major apps will have windows apps, due to they being able to reach both desktop, tablet & mobile audience..

I'll believe it when I see it. You would have thought we would see some improvement in the Windows app store this far out from the Windows 10 launch, and it is still the exact same apps.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah it's probably not a good idea holding breath on this one. As I replied to a question of yours about apps (or lack of) in the Windows 10 forum; why would a company invest the time in a universal app where the desktop user (the only majority MS holds) already has access to a more powerful legacy app or the company website through either the included or any number of 3rd party fully featured web browsers, and who wants to use an app designed around tapping the screen with a mouse and keyboard :/

These companies might well say "show us the increased mobile device market and we'll spend some time." However we already know that users aren't running out to purchase when the apps aren't available.

Sarita Punia

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Indeed, agree with you. current OS is complete mess. Phone restart using edge. performance improved in last build however still not enough. Many of application do not launch and need a restart. Camera doesn't work properly. Not at all fit for 8 GB phone as more than half space is occupied by OS file. I do not think MS is serious about WM :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So i woke up this morning and saw that Daniel posted about this thread on the home page of this website. I read the article he wrote and to me it feels like he didn't read beyond the first page of comments in this thread. For some reason he thought that i have "an axe to grind" with MS. So let me clarify exactly what i am trying to say through this thread.

1. I dont hate MS. As many of you might think, i dont hate MS. In fact i love it so much that i wish i could work there even if it was for free. I am a huge fan of MS. All my devices (phones, laptops and PCs) are running MS products and i do everything through the MS eco-system. Every device in my house has MS OS on it, my parents' phones are lumias, my sister's phone is a lumia and my phone is a lumia.

2. Criticizing MS is not hatred. The only reason i put this thread was because i care too much for this platform and for the eco-system in general that i dont want to see the other reviewers slam MS for the UI/UX issue. I mean after all, this is better come from me and now rather than from android/iOS bias reviewers later after RTM.

3. UI/UX is not everything in an OS but it is the first thing a user will see, feel and interact with. When a new potential user looks at a phone, he will notice how the phone looks like and how the UI is. That is why i was saying that the UI forms the user's first impression of the OS which is why it is very important to take care (alot of care) of this component of the OS before it hits RTM.

4. Criticism is NOT complaining, whining or .... (insert other similar words). When someone criticizes something or someone, it is not hate/dislike as many might think, in fact, most of the time that person cares for that thing/someone that he is trying to get them to do better. So i am not hating on MS, but i am trying to do my part as a fan, developer, insider and user in helping them shape this platform.

5. Alot of people who commented on this thread use the WaaS (Windows as a Service) as an excuse for MS to release in-complete, feature missing OS to the masses. Yes, no software is perfect, all softwares have bugs and they all receive updates to fix those bugs later during its lifetime. But if you think about it, WaaS is just a fancy term by MS, put together in order to prevent people from saying that this is bad, or this is missing because then they can simply answer: "well, windows now is a service, so soon(tm) you will get an update to do this". If updates to a software are considered services then that means android is also a service, so is iOS too because they all release periodic updates. WaaS is not an excuse for MS to release a system to millions of users and when they report (not complain) about issues, MS tells them to wait for updates that are coming soon.

6. Never in this thread have i "complained" of performance issues. Being a software developer myself, i know how an ALPHA/BETA stage software performs. Main point of this thread was the UI/UX issues and inconsistencies throughout the OS and MS's first party apps. Basically every UI in the OS is following its own rules and design guidelines. This is what i am trying to get to here.

So i read the article and started reading through the comments on it. I noticed many people who agreed with me and many who didnt. and i respect both sides, after all we are MS fans here and we are all human beings entitled to our own opinions and believes. But then someone like this guy comes along and ruins it for everyone: 2015-11-12 12_41_45-Is Windows 10 Mobile ready for the masses_ _ Windows Central.png

I also learned that criticizing how this site works or its priorities will get me a private message from a moderator warning me not to change the subject of the thread.... thanks for that.

Oh, and to those who said that my argument about the gray colors in the OS is just bad. If you have read anything about design aesthetics, you will know that colors in a design are used to convey emotions in a design. Bright colors bring joy and happy feelings to users and colors like gray represent sadness. So colors are like a powerful weapon in the hands of the designer and can make or break a design. That is why i was saying gray is a bad choice.

Look at MS ads for windows 10 mobile or any WP devices. The focus on 2 things: UI (Start Screen) and Cortana and what it can do. They make a big deal of cortana and how awesome it is and all its great features (I too think Cortana is absolutely great and epic). Now all that in the ads, so when a user is looking for a new phone and decided to take a look at W10M they will notice the beautiful UI and then they will go into Cortana in the current version (which i think is an abomination and an insult to everyone who used Cortana in WP8.1) here is what they will see:
(Phone is using dark color)
wp_ss_20151112_0005.png
wp_ss_20151112_0006.png

And then comes the biggest abomination and insult (I am talking about the bing mobile website wrapper and not Daniel Rubino LOL):
wp_ss_20151112_0007.png

Tell me again please, how do u consider an OS with such a mess in one of the most important components, its shell, READY?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers