12-08-2015 07:28 PM
517 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Apple has been known to release beta software as well. Like with Windows Phone, beta, pre-release software is not recommended for your "just works" users. This is recommended for those who like a challenge, need it for work (like developing an upcoming app), or enjoy troubleshooting and tinkering for the heck of it.

So if your friend gives you grief, dare him to install iOS 10's beta whenever it inevitably turns up next year. XD
    Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They are very usable as daily drivers, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!

Maybe Apple and Google send the previews out at later stages in development, I don't know. I just know that they work a lot better than Microsoft's.
    11-14-2015 07:40 AM
    Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They're pretty near perfect, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!
    This.
    11-14-2015 07:42 AM
    Careful, if your critical of the site, you'll get your post removed...
    I'm not being critical of the site. Just some of the posts. I thought it was clear that I was speaking about some of the participants of the Windows Insider program who I feel don't quite understand the concept.

And if either of these posts offend the powers that be, so be it. Remove away. I'm not worried.
    11-14-2015 07:49 AM
    Clearly some people have missed the point of the insider program and do NOT belong in the insider program. There are those who provide constructive feedback as well as download to see how it looks and provide suggestions and valuable feedback...then there are those whinypants, "gems of society" who have nothing in their life going for them but simply ist and complain and say how much better their crapple or goggle device is/was. Well stay there then and maybe...just maybe the inside program is not for you. Come back when it is RTM or have a end product. I think MSFT needs to start charging, a nominal fee for insiders like say $10 flat per device. This would eliminate a lot of the trash and bring in exclusively the people who understand what they are getting into. Right now, its just a wide open party for all the riff raff
    920Walker and Alfred Yeap like this.
    11-14-2015 08:11 AM
    Well, if nothing else the latest mail app update is a major improvement. Linked inboxes are back!
    11-14-2015 08:49 AM
    Are these forums always this cheerful?
    libra89 and badcat like this.
    11-14-2015 08:54 AM
    Well, if nothing else the latest mail app update is a major improvement. Linked inboxes are back!
    Gosh! I can't see this latest Mail app update!
    11-14-2015 09:25 AM
    I have a Lumia 640XL. Bought a few months back and I still have a 6+ months of warranty. Will the warranty be void if when I install insider preview of windows 10 mobile? And when will be the RTM ready for my 640XL in India? Thanks in advance 😊
    11-14-2015 09:48 AM
    If it was ready, 950's should be in the stores right now, but they are not.
    11-14-2015 09:52 AM
    I have a Lumia 640XL. Bought a few months back and I still have a 6+ months of warranty. Will the warranty be void if when I install insider preview of windows 10 mobile? And when will be the RTM ready for my 640XL in India? Thanks in advance 
    The warranty would be unaffected if you reflash with the recovery tool. If an insider build is installed, you may or may not have a problem if you need warranty service regardless of any written policy just because humans are involved and can get confused. So if it was me, I would always use the recovery tool to flash my phone before asking for warranty repairs if I had that option.

If you are asking if bricking the phone while using or installing an insider build would be covered by warranty, it would probably depend on if they could check and did check and found an insider build.
    11-14-2015 10:29 AM
    Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They are very usable as daily drivers, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!

Maybe Apple and Google send the previews out at later stages in development, I don't know. I just know that they work a lot better than Microsoft's.
    This is not the purpose of a beta.
    11-14-2015 10:43 AM
    I want W10m to succeed. I really do. More competition and options are always great. Unfortunately its not going to happen. W10m will flop and flop hard. So hard that MS will abandon making mobile OS entirely. The writing is on the wall. There is literally zero reason for an Android or iPhone user to invest into Windows phone. There is nothing to gain and a lot of features to lose.Windows mobile will remain a niche market for some time before disappearing into the void. I enjoyed my time using Lumia 520 but that's more because the phone was fantastic(because Nokia) rather than the OS.
    Problem here is two fold. Problem one is Microsoft does not know how to make a good solid phone hardware wise like Nokia did. Problem no 2 is Microsoft has hardly put any effort into Windows phone since the last 5 years whether be it marketing/advertising or getting app developers to make apps for its OS.
    W10m like WP8 might be a decent serviceable OS but just being decent is not enough to gain market share when you have to contend with giants like Google and Apple.
    11-14-2015 12:18 PM
    I am not so sure if it flop, only time will tell, but then it will not flop "hard" because the market share is still only 3%.
    11-14-2015 12:24 PM
    He wasn't being critical of the site. He was criticizing the Doom and Gloom Society that doesn't heed warning labels. Oh and by the way, we don't remove critical posts. We remove posts that don't abide by the rules, but you already knew that since you read the forum rules as a condition of membership. Right?
    I'll take your word for it...
    11-14-2015 01:00 PM
    See post #328.
    badcat likes this.
    11-14-2015 01:57 PM
    I want W10m to succeed. I really do. More competition and options are always great. Unfortunately its not going to happen. W10m will flop and flop hard. So hard that MS will abandon making mobile OS entirely. The writing is on the wall. There is literally zero reason for an Android or iPhone user to invest into Windows phone. There is nothing to gain and a lot of features to lose.Windows mobile will remain a niche market for some time before disappearing into the void. I enjoyed my time using Lumia 520 but that's more because the phone was fantastic(because Nokia) rather than the OS.
    Problem here is two fold. Problem one is Microsoft does not know how to make a good solid phone hardware wise like Nokia did. Problem no 2 is Microsoft has hardly put any effort into Windows phone since the last 5 years whether be it marketing/advertising or getting app developers to make apps for its OS.
    W10m like WP8 might be a decent serviceable OS but just being decent is not enough to gain market share when you have to contend with giants like Google and Apple.
    Hardware wise Microsoft have done what nokia haven't with Lumias. Made a flagship with a removable battery and micro sd slot.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-14-2015 02:04 PM
    I do like people calling Windows phone being niche, makes me laugh. As I person who just came to WP from owning a Nokia N9 (Meego) and Jolla(SailfishOS) I don't think you guys know what an underdog/niche is.

My first impressions seems to be that WP is a solid OS, what should work, works with few minor inconsistencies. On the openness and customisation it's seems to do more into apples direction, it needs to be a bit more open, allow user to do more.
    Overall I do think that WP is a nice system. I am looking forward to running WP10 :)
    Muessig likes this.
    11-14-2015 03:29 PM
    You can take my word for it as well.
    11-14-2015 04:46 PM
    You can take my word for it as well.
    Then we're good.

image.png
    11-14-2015 05:41 PM
    See post #328.
    See post #344
    11-14-2015 05:42 PM
    Problem one is Microsoft does not know how to make a good solid phone hardware wise like Nokia did.
    That's complete nonsense. If you look at the raw specs, you've got a phone that meets/exceeds the darling phone of the year in the Nexus 6P.

You can argue about design choices (i.e. flexibility of sd card and replaceable battery vs. unibody sealed design), but that's purely aesthetics.
    11-14-2015 07:04 PM
    Then we're good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	116246
    We're good.
    11-14-2015 08:06 PM
    With WM10 (running 10581 on my L640) if you press the windows icon for a few seconds the window drops down to the lower half of the screen, so you can use one hand for hamburger menu access regardless of which side it's on. Hold the icon for a few seconds andthe screen drops so you have access, choose your action and then touch the top of the reduced screen and it goes full screen again.
    Windows 10 Mobile adds reachability hack to compensate for incompetent UI designers | Pocketnow
    theefman likes this.
    11-14-2015 10:06 PM
    jeez, the vibe in this thread is making me reconsider spending $60 on a 640 to check out Windows 10.
    11-14-2015 10:11 PM
    I swear you guys will never be happy.
    I don't know about that. Aside from the lack of apps I was happy with 8/8.1 running on Nokia hardware. It was like a match made in heaven. I even recommended it to everyone I knew and both of my parents have 920s. Needless to say that they're not going to "upgrade" to W10M or either of the "flagships".
    11-14-2015 10:12 PM
517 ... 1213141516 ...