The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-08-2015 07:28 PM
517 ... 1617181920 ...
tools
    I agree about the Hamburger menu. Just because everyone has it, it has not to be the mantra.
    IF there are mostly settings behind this menu, you won't use it often. So better bury it under the ellipsis menu as in WP7 / WP8. Or make it say the icon at the left at the bottom. But not on top on mobile devices.
    This is really not clever.
    11-17-2015 12:13 AM
    I don't want to defend the hamburger but seriously, what else is Microsoft supposed to do when the app will have too many pivots and options in the ellipsis menu?
    11-17-2015 02:09 AM
    Maybe it isn't w10m that isn't ready, our phones don't even have the new firmware for it. From the hands on, the 950 and 950xl perform without hiccups but then again, it could be because of their specs.
    11-17-2015 02:18 AM
    You mean all the badly designed mobile apps and websites which are the bottom of the barrel in user friendliness. Yeah, not exactly the kind of standard you want to be emulated in a OS.

"Windows 10 Mobile, because we gave up"
    And WP7/8 won over so many market share and developer support with this superior design layout - oh wait but it didn't.

Windows 10 Mobile's change in design elements is MS facing reality that sticking with their design elements didn't work in winning them anything except a tiny bit of marketshare, it's sad but that's the market reality. IT history is filled with superior products losing to inferior products. Whinging about how MS "gave up" and adapting to the market demand in order to survive and holding MS against it is just petty and childish.
    11-17-2015 02:21 AM
    I think that I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.1 for a while:

1) W10M user experience is not smooth as it should be (too many glitches and inconsistencies for my tastes...)
    2) Features have been removed and that's not acceptable
    3) W10M currently looks like beta-quality
    4) I don't see any major improvements/advantages compared to WP8.1 that justifies to accept to use a beta on my daily driver

And WP7/8 won over so many market share and developer support with this superior design layout - oh wait but it didn't.

Windows 10 Mobile's change in design elements is MS facing reality that sticking with their design elements didn't work in winning them anything except a tiny bit of marketshare, it's sad but that's the market reality. IT history is filled with superior products losing to inferior products. Whinging about how MS "gave up" and adapting to the market demand in order to survive and holding MS against it is just petty and childish.
    So now that the UI/UX is inconsistent users will flock to WP... Who did not buy a WP in the past won't do it now because of those lame changes, but at the same time those changes will affect users used to a good&consistent UI/UX.
    Last edited by xandros9; 11-17-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: merging two posts
    11-17-2015 02:36 AM

If you think that the UI is to blame for the failure of WP then I don't know what to tell you other than how asinine and ignorant that is of the real problem. It's also flat out stupid to think that changing the UI will do anything other than ticking off a lot of people that came to the platform in the first place. People that liked the UI.

If you're going to accuse people of "whinging" at least spell it right. What a whinger.
    11-17-2015 03:01 AM
    Yet another post with the same fanboi problems:

1. It doesn't look like my android or iphone.
    2. It doesn't work like my android or iphone.

DUH

God help us if android is the only choice, its a security nightmare.
    11-17-2015 07:12 AM
    Hey Cortana - That really sucks, but this issue isn't as widespread as you might think. Definitely not a top voted bug in the feedback app. Besides, there's evidence it's working for other 1520 users. The issue was also specifically mentioned as fixed in the latest build.
    Widespread or not, it means WM10 is not ready and even more so when they THINK they fixed it but didn't. Of course its not a top voted bug; its only available on what, 3% of all Windows Phones? If call waiting works, maybe we could link up Insiders who's Hey Cortana works with those that don't and keep an open call 24x7 between them on speaker, Then the bug victims can just ask the other Insider to use THEIR Hey Cortana on the victim's behalf. Of course the plan falls apart if there are more phones Hey Cortana doesn't work on than ones that do... or if users of phones that don't have Hey Cortana try to take advantage of this. So we'll need a way for working Hey Cortana Insiders to vet requests from others. It might work.
    920Walker likes this.
    11-17-2015 07:27 AM
    Please tell me what is the last bild availible now?I have 10581,is the last?
    11-17-2015 07:36 AM
    Please tell me what is the last bild availible now?I have 10581,is the last?
    Yes It is.
    gabi tanase likes this.
    11-17-2015 08:16 AM
    The thing is beyond me is that Microsoft writes bad software consistently. How do you develop OS that behaves different on identical devices.
    Federico Turban likes this.
    11-17-2015 08:56 AM
    The thing is beyond me is that Microsoft writes bad software consistently. How do you develop OS that behaves different on identical devices.
    well, in all honesty, coding can often be a bit of a crapshoot. And despite identical devices (disregarding defective ones and whatnot for now) people have it set up in various ways.

If I had to generalize I'd say MS may not create the best product, but its best at talking to other products.
    11-17-2015 09:03 AM
    Free was just a market strategy. Give it free and people run and jump hurdles to get it.
    Doing so gets it out there faster and in use.
    Fix things as they become apparent. (mass Beta users)
    Once established,
    1) Gather vast information on users.
    2) Make what used to be part of the O.S. a purchase option.
    3) Force updates/addons so what is on users computers, isn't their choice.
    etc etc....
    now backtrack in updates so older O.S.'s gather users use as well.

That is the reason it is FREE.
    11-17-2015 09:31 AM
    This thread reminds me about when Apple made that radical UI redesign in iOS 7. A lot of users hated the design, pretty bad (some users with more age even say that their iPhones looked like a child color book), some others hated the performance on the iPhone 4. Now, 2 years later, and iOS 9 put it together the general idea of the new UI, with a lot of refinements and looks pretty good at my eyes (also, the UX is smooth as hell), OSX also adopt the iOS style in almost every corner of the UI and looks really nice. This happens, everywhere, anytime, when you are happy with the UI that you have on your device and then, in the newer versin of the OS, is radically changed and everything you use to know has a new face and you need to relearn how to use it, you like it or not.

The UI of Windows 10 Mobile has a lot of potential, I really like what they are doing in matching a lot of UI elements between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, but MS is still doing refinements on Windows 10 and the general UI, so Windows 10 Mobile still needs some time to get a more mature UI (just like the WP7>WP8>WP8.1, the same UI design, style, lenguage, etc.). Yeah, it's still a mess with a lot of mixed elements from WP8.1 and W10 and not a congruent UI in between in-house apps (Groove, Maps, Weather, etc., they share the same "idea" for what it should be, but those ideas are not 100% equally implemented, and I'm talking about the infamous Whopper Menu, the constant updates are bringing some nice changes to the apps and making them more alike in UI, but they aren't still right there).

Windows 10 general UI is great, it's still a bit green, but has come a long road from the first time we saw it and the way it's going looks nice, and I say the same to Windows 10 Mobile. At least these two are much more alike in general terms an menues and configurations screens and Start Screen/Menu that Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8/8.1, so, I give them the chance, MS can make it work really nice.

Still, my mayor concern is the performance. The ones with Windows 10 Mobile Builds on their phones, it would be nice to post their device, the Build number and their general experience with it, the specifically see what devices in what circumstances they work, and where it doesn't.
    11-17-2015 09:37 AM
    well, in all honesty, coding can often be a bit of a crapshoot. And despite identical devices (disregarding defective ones and whatnot for now) people have it set up in various ways.
    We not talk about an app-developer / one-man-company getting some code to run properly. MSFT is (one of the) biggest company in term of software and the development and actively promoting W10M to the public for many months already. They were able to get W10 on desktops running pretty well which includes a much wider variety of hardware to support than a few Lumias and far more complexity in possible usage scenarios (and therefore possible bugs) than the few settings that W10M allows the user to tweak.
    They clearly drive with handbrake on in terms of W10M when you compare it to the insider program for desktop, how serious they took it and how well-organized it was and still is!
    Disregarding when the final release will be and in how the "final" RTM OS will perform, one thing after this debacle is already crystal clear: after W10M there will be an end of the WM/WP story. Maybe a W10.1M "feature" update but nothing substantial. So who is buying a 950 / 950XL now should be aware of it and that you will likely stick with what you get now in terms of software. Don't rely on promises and expectations. I can only repeat once more: MSFT did never hesitate to quickly drop support for products that were not that successfull.
    11-17-2015 09:40 AM
    I think the new hardware will run W10M just fine. It's the oldies that I'm concerned about. My 640 is running the latest build and it's the first build I've been using on my main phone. It's funny how one finds a lot more bugs when actually using the latest build in real life. In the past I though that the OS was in much better condition when I had the builds on my test Lumia 635. This is my problems list right now...

-edge completely freezes few times a week, requires restart, also other smaller bugs
    -overall touch screen responsiveness feels flimsy, sometimes over sensitive sometimes opposite
    -keyboard is a bit unresponsive, not the case with all of the previous builds
    -can't choose sd-card as a default saving option
    -basically everything in the camera app, compared to 8.1 it's slower to start, image quality is worse, the preview gallery is slow and jarring
    -wifi share disconnects sometimes on it's own
    -sometimes wallpaper disappears for a slipt second when opening or exiting an app, makes for a "fun" transition effect
    -also it seems that the positioning of the wallpaper sometimes changes on it's own.
    -the messaging app always asks for my phone number when opened, can be disregarded and works fine otherwise
    -the store app is still jarring, updating apps section still has some of those old bugs it has had since day 1 of the insider program ie. blank live tiles
    -glance screen doesn't update notifications correctly, showing unread messages when there are none
    -settings for navigation bar (software keys) is still missing
    -my phone was bought from china, some places there's chinese text regardless of what you've set as the language ie. storage sense
    -lock screen still lags compared to 8.1
    -battery status icon clearly doesn't show the level correctly
    11-17-2015 10:29 AM
    Hey Cortana still does not work on my 1520.3 - not able to train it - not sure how they thought they fixed it

Microsoft's mobile philosophy seems to be start from scratch (pretty much) every time - If they had just stuck with windows phone 7 and built and evolved on that, the OS would be in a much better state than them having to keep starting over all the time

I'm not moving to 10 - after two days with the latest build on my phone, I reverted it back to 8.1, and I'm not going to try again for a while. I was also thinking of getting a 950XL - putting that purchase on hold as well.

I'm even *almost* at the point of rolling my Surface Pro 3 back to 8.1 due to the bunch of things that 10 broke on mine (Type cover issues, display driver issues) etc etc
    11-17-2015 11:09 AM
    Hey Cortana still does not work on my 1520.3 - not able to train it - not sure how they thought they fixed it
    The sad truth is they thought they fixed it because they didn't test it on your (or my) 1520.3. Since they have zero to gain by saying its fixed if they knew it wasn't fixed I am sure it is fixed for some 1520s. But they do look the fool for saying anything about Hey Cortana without better testing. It's like someone running across a busy street without getting run over and then telling the world its safe to run across a busy street.

What blew my mind was after Hey Cortana refused to learn my voice, on a lark I tapped the button to hear an example and the example was in MY voice from a previous learning!!! I then did a soft reset and while it still would not learn my voice, the example reverted to the generic example.
    11-17-2015 11:21 AM
    My opinion.
    More time is going into how much information and what I believe to be Private Information into their O.S.
    than they are at making it efficient or for the silly minded out there, 'pretty'.
    So much of our focus on the colors, live tiles, UI, etc etc... that the fact that the direction we are headed in,
    NOTHING will be private and thanks to the Cloud phenomenon our computers are no longer ours.
    My files: their choice My updates: their choice My conversations: Their choice
    My Internet surfing: monitored Junk ADS: no stopping them .... etc etc etc....

Benefits to me: cross platform access.

My Benefit vs. Their Benefit I lose.

Once implementation is solidly in place there will be NO alternatives, every keystroke, every file and every private conversation and/or email is on the servers of those who answer: TRUST US to PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY.

The cloud is doing in many ways what virus's do, I do not see a difference except a virus can be removed!!!
    11-17-2015 01:58 PM
    I don't think it's entirely pointless. I had thought of a few ways the dock would come in pretty handy.

I had went to a customer for tech support and the sales person didn't tell me I needed to bring a laptop with our software. I know, really dumb not to bring a laptop to show a new, potential customer our software. At that point, using a projector, a keyboard and mouse to show the customer at least a Power Point or a Webinar would have been very useful.

Additionally, the software I run is a CAD software, which most likely won't run on a phone. A power point would have saved us, though.

That was only one time and every since then I would bring a laptop no matter where I go, or if we show our software. The display dock has potential but it isn't for everyone. I noticed 950 XL purchasers will be able to get a display dock from the Microsoft store. While that's cool, I would be more excited if we could get either Band or Band 2 with purchase.
    I definitely agree, it's not entirely pointless. We could find a few use cases for continuum but most of them would be a one shot, like in your case, or temporary situations (like using it in a conference room for example).

Now let's go a bit further. Let's say a surface phone running a x86 applications (and not apps). It could be appealing in the first place right? But wouldn't it canibalise the surface line? Why would you carry a larger, heavier device if your phone can do the same? Therefore, I'm not so sure of the surface phone product placement. Besides, for having used a surface pro, using desktop apps with touch is a complete nonsense as it's not meant for this. Apple's success is based on a phone that's still a phone and that communicates easily with its productive siblings (macbook pro or ipads via Continuity). There's no device canibalising one over the other. The only one that's left out now is the iPod that was meant to disappear anyway.

Either W10M quickly gets a lot of universal apps and create new use cases or continuum will remain a nice tech demo but nothing more.

I don't see any of my friends, colleagues or family unplug their home pc to use a phone instead "simply because they can".

The only way continuum could be a first hit is to make continuum compatible with any DLNA/Miracast device to leverage the number of screens around the world who could take advantage of the feature without forcing users to use a dedicated dock or wireless receiver.

In a world where: the surface pro didn't exist, tablets in general were not able to cast their screen wirelessly, people did not have a pc at home (or a laptop), the price of small PC or HTPC that does much more for a fraction of the 950's price didn't exist, continuum would be a great addition.

Right now, it's an impressive feature that I'd like to try out of curiosity but as a tech enthusiast, not on a daily basis... and I'm a tech enthusiast. I can't imagine what the masses will think about continuum and that's exactly what WP needs right now, being attractive to masses and I don't think Continuum is that feature.
    11-17-2015 02:16 PM
    Mmmm... Could be worse...are you aware of how much data Google and Apple hold about users? People having data isn't really the issue. It's about how they use it.

We all know about our browsing history. The UK Govt have just announced that ISPs have to keep records for a year. Like most Govt's the minute you type certain words beginning with T and ending with T, a red flag is raised. There are many more triggers that will get you monitored. So can't blame MSFT for that one.

As for updates, I can only assume your concern would be back door access written in to the update. Conversations are between you and someone else. If, as mentioned, you start using certain terms, then the red flag goes up. Emails have been monitored for years, so that's nothing new.

I am doubtful that MSFT are watching your every move. That would be an infringement of your human rights, and I am certain that a court case would have appeared by now.

You are right, ads are a pain in the butt, but how else do developers pay for development of apps.

I left Google due to the amount of so called 'anonymous' data collection and then the plethora of junk. If you buy Samsung, they want to know the inside of a ducks butt as well. So when you add android with the OEMs data collection, things aren't so crazy on this side.
    11-17-2015 02:25 PM
    I have last build 10581 and its okay on my Lumia 925. But just OK. There are some laginess going on and its not smooth as 8.1 and i cant update some apps for example, glance, display etc. But my ONLY HOPE is that they fix the DAMN camera. Picture quality on my lumia 925 is like you take picture with calculator, and i tried everything possible solution, thats how bad it is. Amber update ruined it completely and since then MS didnt do anything to fix it. So yeah...im a bit frustrated about this and hoping they finally fix it in wm 10.
    gabi tanase and Rozdzan Waadd like this.
    11-17-2015 03:30 PM
    I'm still finding fault with the current Windows 10 build, for example with my Windows 8.1 phone I can
    assign ringtones to individuals both incoming calls and messages, but Windows 10 I can't do it. I sent
    feedback on the problem. We all have people we want to answer right away, and others we can call
    back later, by assigning ringtones, we can tell which type is calling or messaging.
    gabi tanase likes this.
    11-17-2015 03:56 PM
    If you think that the UI is to blame for the failure of WP then I don't know what to tell you other than how asinine and ignorant that is of the real problem. It's also flat out stupid to think that changing the UI will do anything other than ticking off a lot of people that came to the platform in the first place. People that liked the UI.
    We know what the problem is - it's the lack of apps. The lack of apps is partially related to the UI as many developers weren't interested in adhering to the design standards set by Microsoft, especially those with existing apps on iOS/Android don't want to spend the effort in creating yet another entirely new UI for their apps, as sometimes their UI is part of their brand identity. Some end users are also afraid to "try something new" due to the UI. To think that the non-convential UI didn't have anything to do with the lack of success of WP is just as ignorant.
    11-17-2015 07:40 PM
    We know what the problem is - it's the lack of apps. The lack of apps is partially related to the UI as many developers weren't interested in adhering to the design standards set by Microsoft, especially those with existing apps on iOS/Android don't want to spend the effort in creating yet another entirely new UI for their apps, as sometimes their UI is part of their brand identity. Some end users are also afraid to "try something new" due to the UI. To think that the non-convential UI didn't have anything to do with the lack of success of WP is just as ignorant.
    So going by this logic MS should also get rid of live tiles because they're too different from the other mobile UIs and just end up scaring away potential customers. MS should create a generic copycat UI with nothing too unique or far out there. Basically what W10M is except for the Start screen.

I'm actually surprised they haven't ditched live tiles yet. They've added an option in W10M to dial down the transparency so that the tiles are basically dull flat icons but the tiles are still there although cramped and minimalized.
    Rafael Yousuf likes this.
    11-17-2015 08:09 PM
517 ... 1617181920 ...