12-08-2015 07:28 PM
517 12345 ...
tools
    Colour me confused? I see all the "the UI sucks, it's inconsistent, it looks like android or Snapple.... wp 8.1 looks so much better, etc." Now I have my lumia with wp 10 and 8X with 8.1 side by side. Hmmmm, the start screen looks the same only wp 10 has thinner black bars around the tiles. If it looks like droid or Snapple, where's all the cheesy coloured icons? Lets look at settings... 8.1 omgod, I gotta scroll down the whole list to find anything and it's in no order (talk about inconsistent), wp 10, all in easy to find section headers. I assume one more tap to open them makes it soooo much worse. ;p Funny how when wp 8/8.1 first came out everyone on this board was whining how crappy it was and looked, and now it's the golden child. To be fair I'm not a phone gamer or need a gazillion useless social apps so my phone is not totally cluttered so maybe I'm missing something somewhere UI wise. As for file explorer I can see how much is used and taken by tapping the ... at the bottom of the screen and selecting properties. No biggie have to do a couple of taps.
    11-10-2015 08:56 AM
    True, maybe the average user wont notice, but do u really think new potential users would go for W10M if they read a review like this?:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/att...ss-%95-reg.png

People who will be looking to buy new phones wont consider W10M if other reviewers post stuff like this, specially if this negativity remained after RTM.
    This is what i have been saying, i know MS will refine the UI, i know MS will give cortana a proper UI instead of the ugly bing mobile website they are using to show results, i know MS will do all that in future updates, but... that all will be too late if the RTM got reviewed like that.
    Can you link me to the original article you posted the verdict screen shot of? I fully agree with the verdict and hope that more articles of this kind will be published across Windows Central, Thurrot, All about Microsoft and other Microsoft enthusiast sites when Windows 10 mobile is reviewed.
    11-10-2015 08:57 AM
    Word. I agree with all of this Dr. Saline! I also do know why they did this. I especially hate these grey tones because the amoled screen of my 930 hates them and makes them a little bit purple (there is a work around but I'm still not satisfied). I though, have not given up hope yet. This will take ages but when the time comes and WM 10 will have stable enough market share. They will once again have the balls again for innovative design. Until then: 65% functionality 35% design
    11-10-2015 09:02 AM
    Word. I agree with all of this Dr. Saline! I also do know why they did this. I especially hate these grey tones because the amoled screen of my 930 hates them and makes them a little bit purple (there is a work around but I'm still not satisfied). I though, have not given up hope yet. This will take ages but when the time comes and WM 10 will have stable enough market share. They will once again have the balls again for innovative design. Until then: 65% functionality 35% design
    Hehe Alarms now got dark/light theme istead of those grays :)
    11-10-2015 09:16 AM
    I remember when I first joined Windows Central (it was windows phone central then), there was a thread or an article asking what made us join this platform in the first place. And I remember answering it with my love for Modern Design 1.0 and design aesthetics of it. I really like the minimal design, lack of chrome and iconography. I like the large segoe font pivot headers. Unfortunately with Windows 10 mobile, all that I loved about the design of Windows Phone is gone. And don't get me wrong, I know that design isn't everything, I know that some compromises had to be made for the idea of Universal Apps to work. I also know that I enjoy using the new office mobile apps and Microsoft Edge, and when I'm working I don't even notice the UI. It might not even exist then. But then I come back to my primary phone on Windows Phone 8.1 and I realize the worth of it, I realize how beautiful it looks, and I realize it will be gone with the next update. Replaced by shades of dark and light grey in headers that don't even extend to the status bar, uppercase header font that just misses out on the beauty of Segoe, zebra strips songs and downloads list, ellipses bar and menu having different shades and proportions, borders around context menus and notification flysouts, and just the shades of dark and light grey in them instead of pure dark and light theme just make me go nuts. Then there is lack of alternative pivot navigation to hamburger items. They have stripped the file explorer of showing storage taken and remaining storage. Sense apps haven't been improved. Live tile functionality hasn't been enhanced. Then there is people tile and app with ridiculous circular avatars and full accent colour for contact badge and accented header and ellipses in hub page with theme background in cards and status bar. All these things give me OCD. I get the importance of hamburger menus and icons in hamburger items, they make sense in desktop and large tablets held and/or used in landscape orientation, even in landscape orientation on phones. But the changes in headers, context menus, fifty shades of grey, zebra strips, lack of pivot navigation and borders beat me. I just wish Microsoft removes these shades of grey in headers and context menus and keep to light or dark themes, do away with uppercase headers, borders around context menus and notification flyouts, circular avatars in people app and live tile, zebra strips for vertical lists and icons and/or tabs in headers. I don't have enough hope though since Microsoft has essentially showed a middle finger to any feedback generated regarding UI. Bye bye modern design 1.0. You will be missed.
    Totally agree, lol this is exactly how i feel it is just that i am bad with words. I think u should put this on the feedback app and hopefully someone in MS who understands design aesthetics 101 will read it and make a change.
    11-10-2015 09:17 AM
    Can you link me to the original article you posted the verdict screen shot of? I fully agree with the verdict and hope that more articles of this kind will be published across Windows Central, Thurrot, All about Microsoft and other Microsoft enthusiast sites when Windows 10 mobile is reviewed.
    Sure bro, here is the link: Microsoft Windows Mobile 10: Uphill battle with 'work in progress' ? The Register

Enjoy reading it.
    11-10-2015 09:18 AM
    I remember when I first joined Windows Central (it was windows phone central then), there was a thread or an article asking what made us join this platform in the first place. And I remember answering it with my love for Modern Design 1.0 and design aesthetics of it. I really like the minimal design, lack of chrome and iconography. I like the large segoe font pivot headers. Unfortunately with Windows 10 mobile, all that I loved about the design of Windows Phone is gone. And don't get me wrong, I know that design isn't everything, I know that some compromises had to be made for the idea of Universal Apps to work. I also know that I enjoy using the new office mobile apps and Microsoft Edge, and when I'm working I don't even notice the UI. It might not even exist then. But then I come back to my primary phone on Windows Phone 8.1 and I realize the worth of it, I realize how beautiful it looks, and I realize it will be gone with the next update. Replaced by shades of dark and light grey in headers that don't even extend to the status bar, uppercase header font that just misses out on the beauty of Segoe, zebra strips songs and downloads list, ellipses bar and menu having different shades and proportions, borders around context menus and notification flysouts, and just the shades of dark and light grey in them instead of pure dark and light theme just make me go nuts. Then there is lack of alternative pivot navigation to hamburger items. They have stripped the file explorer of showing storage taken and remaining storage. Sense apps haven't been improved. Live tile functionality hasn't been enhanced. Then there is people tile and app with ridiculous circular avatars and full accent colour for contact badge and accented header and ellipses in hub page with theme background in cards and status bar. All these things give me OCD. I get the importance of hamburger menus and icons in hamburger items, they make sense in desktop and large tablets held and/or used in landscape orientation, even in landscape orientation on phones. But the changes in headers, context menus, fifty shades of grey, zebra strips, lack of pivot navigation and borders beat me. I just wish Microsoft removes these shades of grey in headers and context menus and keep to light or dark themes, do away with uppercase headers, borders around context menus and notification flyouts, circular avatars in people app and live tile, zebra strips for vertical lists and icons and/or tabs in headers. I don't have enough hope though since Microsoft has essentially showed a middle finger to any feedback generated regarding UI. Bye bye modern design 1.0. You will be missed.
    I really miss the large headers also.
    7a2eer and Kram Sacul like this.
    11-10-2015 09:59 AM
    Totally agree, lol this is exactly how i feel it is just that i am bad with words. I think u should put this on the feedback app and hopefully someone in MS who understands design aesthetics 101 will read it and make a change.
    They've probably all been sacked so not going to happen.
    Rafael Yousuf and DrewT3 like this.
    11-10-2015 10:08 AM
    Ready for what? Ready for the 950s and ready for anything else are two different things. I have no clue if its ready for the 950s because I don't have a 950 yet to see for myself. It's impossible to say just how many glitches with the beta on existing phones relate to getting things right with the huge number of phone models designed for Windows 8.1 running an infinite combination of apps with LOTS of carrier tweaks to the OS or firmware. I know my top priority would be a good experience for the 950s and that would also be a MUCH easier job than the others. So too early to call if its ready for the 950s. And too early for me to guess if it will be ready for others because I haven't seen a concrete date for that. If its the same day the 950s are shipping, then yeah I don't think WM10 is ready for the myriad of Wp8 devices.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-10-2015 10:26 AM
    I actually have submitted feedback regarding UI of all of these individual default system apps, but like I said it seems to have fallen over on deaf ears. Good news is most of these apps can be updated through store independent of the OS updates. Exceptions are Cortana/Search, Microsoft Edge and some cosmetic changes like context menus and notification flyouts. Bad news is these default apps rarely get updated with new features or UI changes. They never mention the changelog and it's almost always bug fixes and performance improvements. Which baffles me since I'm sure all of these default apps have dedicated teams that make them and I can't imagine what happens there if they don't even bring noticeable/practical improvements. Maybe they just spend their time quarreling over ideas and end up doing nothing due to lack of unanimous decision. Anyways that was a dig made in light humor but I do hope they have sorted out the Search/Cortana UI in RTM build since this is such a basic functionality I cant fathom how we will live with that ****ty web wrapper till the next update that will come months later presumably called redstone.
    Rafael Yousuf likes this.
    11-10-2015 10:30 AM
    I think most of the UI issues aside from maybe having some refined action center with transparency and better settings with more icons and better organized are really down to the apps. And with the app centric model that MS took they can update them any time, every day. No need for a new release to enhance built in features, they have been created as apps. So in the past if Facebook made a change and your people hub got messed up because of it, you need to get a new OS that changes this. With this model MS just updates the app. I hope after RTM build is finalized the start putting all their efforts on the apps and start updating them at an insanely quick rate.
    11-10-2015 10:39 AM
    I don't even know where to start here...but I'll give it a go.

Yeah, you really shouldn't have given it a go. I can tell you where to start: reread my post and get back to me after understanding it.

None of the things I listed (that would influence mass consumer appeal) appeal to either of us! And what do you know? We both use WP, the mobile choice the masses couldn't care less about...
    libra89 likes this.
    11-10-2015 10:54 AM
    I don't even know where to start here...but I'll give it a go. Firstly, what happened to number 2. Your listed reasons for buying a handset don't tally with me but you confidently state that's what the masses look for. I certainly dont give a **** what anyone thinks about my phone. Couldn't care less if I tried. Not looking for unique functions either....just something that feels good in the hand, works as it should, isn't missing a key functionality and has a UI I find appealing for a reasonable price. Maybe you're a little status obsessed?
    It's funny but UI matters. That's why I use Windows mobile. BECAUSE OF THE TILE UI!

UI is probably the biggest reason people use windows phone.
    11-10-2015 10:54 AM
    If the UI is a mess, OS wont appeal to many potential new users.
    The current UI is a mess. That's a fact. It's unfinished. But the average new user will not leave the platform for a inconsistent UI. Neither on a theoretical level "This UI is such a mess! I regret this purchase!" because it's not that bad, nor on a practical level "This UI is such a Mess! I'm leaving!" because who really buys a new phone (or even returns it) for a inconsistent OS. The people that will suffer most under this are we. Thanks Microsoft!
    I think you mixed something up here Hutzi.

The quote you are attributing to me is in fact Rafael Yousuf's. Not mine! In my own reply to his statement I think I clarified that I pretty much agree with all of his views except that an inconsistent UI is a big enough issue to influence mass market popularity.

If I understand you correctly, I think I agree with your points.
    11-10-2015 11:07 AM
    It's funny but UI matters. That's why I use Windows mobile. BECAUSE OF THE TILE UI!

I wouldn't say live tiles are the only part of WP's UI that many of us find appealing. It's far more than that, although much of it is subtle. The sum of those subtleties are what many of us appreciate, and all of those subtle differences are part of what keep many WP users like us coming back for more, despite WP's and the ecosystem's weaknesses.

The problem is that the number of people who appreciate that sort of thing aren't exactly a huge part of the population. It's people like us. That's not enough. That's also why insulting our UI design sensibilities, by itself, isn't such a huge issue, provided MS can offer something to other types of people.
    tgp likes this.
    11-10-2015 11:15 AM
    I gave W10M another try on my TMoUS-branded Lumia 925. I like it much better the second time around, even though it is the same build (10581). I love all the new functionality... vastly improved Mail, Calendar, Office apps; Bluetooth keyboard support; assorted other baked-into the OS features.

Three items of concern that stand out right now:
    * A 1020 AT&T friend gave it a whirl and couldn't get the Start screen to display. He's not going to try again until AT&T releases W10M (who knows when that will be--I bet he jumps ship back to iPhone before it arrives).
    * I lost music in the transition. Microsoft needs to deal with licensing of music bought from their store the way they handle Office 365: let me specify which devices are allowed to play the music, so that as I move to new devices and OS version, I keep the music I paid for. I lost enough that I may be done buying any music from Microsoft, even if they resurrected Zune and slapped the Groove name on it.
    * I have yet to do a full reset. Last time I did that I was left in a state where I couldn't connect to my Microsoft Account, so I basically had a phone that could only make calls and run a handful of built-in apps without any access to my existing data.
    11-10-2015 11:22 AM
    I think you mixed something up here Hutzi.
    Sorry for the confusion. I just took Rafael Yusuf's quote from within your quote because scrolling up on Edge is such a pain on this site. Lazy me. Yeah we agree on most of the points.
    Cheers
    920Walker and a5cent like this.
    11-10-2015 11:26 AM
    Absolutely. The percent of people who would die without a camera button is like what? .00001?

The pluses of WM over Android or iOS other than the UI are pretty small.

I can understand people leaving WM over apps or something else, but I can't understand any of them not ALSO being pretty upset about losing the UI. I mean, if it wasn't for that UI, why did the majority of them choose WM in the first place?
    7a2eer, a5cent, Kram Sacul and 1 others like this.
    11-10-2015 11:34 AM
    I like the UI, it's much crisper than 8.1 in my opinion. Not everyone shares the OPs views on the UI. I was slow to come round but it has grown on me to the point that I think 8.1 looks playground next to it.
    Agreed. I was a little turned off from W10M when I first started using it but have grown to like it. Now when I have to flash back or buy a new device running 8.1 it looks a little garish.
    11-10-2015 11:38 AM
    With W10M Microsoft threw consistency out the door. Might as well have ported Windows Runtime to Android. Taking the blue pill approach is not doing anyone any favors.
    DrewT3 likes this.
    11-10-2015 11:49 AM
    Absolutely. The percent of people who would die without a camera button is like what? .00001?

The pluses of WM over Android or iOS other than the UI are pretty small.

I can understand people leaving WM over apps or something else, but I can't understand any of them not ALSO being pretty upset about losing the UI. I mean, if it wasn't for that UI, why did the majority of them choose WM in the first place?
    UI (Metro), Phone design, Camera, Nokia (Exclusive Apps / Features)
    W10M does not tick any of these for me.

P.S: Shutter button was a big deal too ;)
    Prasun Das and DrewT3 like this.
    11-10-2015 11:52 AM
    WIndows10m insider version is still in beta/alpha phase. I don't believe in launch in december. Cortana is not even in milestone...is entirely missing in 99% countries.
    11-10-2015 12:07 PM
    WIndows10m insider version is still in beta/alpha phase. I don't believe in launch in december. Cortana is not even in milestone...is entirely missing in 99% countries.
    Cortana is unrelated to W10M. Half the things people complain about are unrelated to W10M, they're related to W10 in general. By breaking out basic functionality into Universal apps, they can update both the mobile and desktop sides of things completely independent of the base OS.

Literally the only things that aren't ready at this point is the storage issue and spitshine. Everything else is an app that will be updated accordingly.
    pallentx likes this.
    11-10-2015 12:30 PM
    UI (Metro), Phone design, Camera, Nokia (Exclusive Apps / Features)
    W10M does not tick any of these for me.
    Well the reason it doesn't tick any of those is because WM10 (the subject of this thread) has virtually nothing to do with any of those except the UI. Those may be reasons to like a particular phone, but not to prefer an OS.
    a5cent and Rafael Yousuf like this.
    11-10-2015 12:32 PM
    This is getting dull now. Every damned thread is the same, comments are all the same etc..

Be thankful we got an update. Many droid users get dropped after 12 months.

Finally, it's free. It's cost millions to develop win 10 in it's various guises, and they give it away to pretty much anyone.

I understand people's frustrations, I do. I've got 581 on 4 devices, and few issues are duplicated. There will be issues until device specific firmware is included.

I just don't understand the constant bemoaning. Are you reporting these concerns back to MSFT. It smacks of a load of magpies wanting the shiniest objects, only to moan when it isn't shiny at all.

Rather than give up my phone, I think I'll give up the boards....
    511pf, LeFreak, SPS828 and 3 others like this.
    11-10-2015 01:11 PM
517 12345 ...