MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Just like the title says, I believe that the current build or even the next one won't be RTM ready. I am not talking about performance, I am talking about the UI & UX of W10M. The UI is a mess (specially with all the gray color used everywhere).
I mean how do they say it is ready if Cortana is still using the Bing mobile site to show search result.
Users notice the UI first.if the Ui is a mess, don't expect the OS to be a success.

I feel sad for the current state of W10M.
I wish MS. would do something about their UI team.

What do u guys think?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Cortana will probably still be a beta for a long time to come so you shouldn't go by her if you're trying to gauge where the platform stands. Nonetheless I made this point once. W10 for all devices will most likely always be a beta. It will be stable enough, but it will always be in transition. There will always be that "better" build just on the horizon

Then again a lot of companies do the same. MS just decided to say it openly

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't get the "everything is grey" part. You can change the accent colour. As for Cortana, you do know Cortana is Bing, right? Not to mention Cortana is beta or alpha depending on where you are and will take time to be fully evolved. The UI, it's okay to me, not perfect yet but neither is android or iOS IMHO. I'm just seeing the usual BS rant from here because it doesn't live up to your expectations and the assumption everyone else feels the same way you do. MS has said windows is now a service so it will be a perpetual evolvement never a total finished product. Deal with it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Remember that this new OS has only one chance to impress new users which is when they turn on the device for the first time, if the UI is a mess and not consistent then new users wont enjoy the OS and will jump ship.
The consistency train left long ago I'm afraid. Just the fact that many apps won't evolve further than their WP8.1 designs means there is nothing MS can do to regain the level of consistency the WP ecosystem previously had. That ship has sailed. Even if they could get all app devs on board, their own apps are so "all over the place" that there is no obvious style/guideline devs could stick to.

I don't know about the "enjoying" part though. Most people don't need a consistent UI to enjoy it. Many won't even notice how terribly inconsistent W10M is.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Isn't Cortana in WP8.1 also beta ( or alpha, depending on your location)? Yet its UI looks way better that it does in W10M. Ever since I got the TP of W10M, I've never really enjoyed using Cortana.
As for the UI, I totaly agree with what Raphael Yousuf jas said. MSFT really need to work on it to impress (and retain) new users.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Guys, imagine if every tech site wrote something like this after W10M is released. Do u seriously think people would spend money on lumia phones to use W10M??
View attachment 115939

People read reviews before purchasing things, if tech sites give a review like that... then it is bye bye W10M.

The screenshot is from: Microsoft Windows Mobile 10: Uphill battle with 'work in progress' ? The Register

I especially like this part: "The Windows Phone 8.1 email client was rudimentary, but in real life use performs far better than the Windows 10 Mobile application tested here. The current WP8.1 version allows the rapid processing of multiple messages across accounts, whiled unread or flagged messages could be isolated using a simple sideways swipe gesture.

The current Windows Phone allows accounts to be aggregated in a unified inbox. It enabled richer workflows by specifying the synchronisation of an Exchange or IMAP folder. All this has been lost in the move to a ?unified? email client across Windows 10, which on Mobile represents a significant step backwards."

Sounds like a great upgrade to me..... /s

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Do MS classify it as "ready" like Windows 10 which has received constant updates for stability and by it's second MAJOR update may offer a UX somewhat close to its predecessor?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Do MS classify it as "ready" like Windows 10 which has received constant updates for stability and by it's second MAJOR update may offer a UX somewhat close to its predecessor?

MS has said that w10 will constantly "evolve" so those updates are mandatory :) There are no more windows versions after this (w7/w8/w8.1 etc). W10 is the last stop

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
MS has said that w10 will constantly "evolve" so those updates are mandatory :) There are no more windows versions after this (w7/w8/w8.1 etc). W10 is the last stop

Totally agree with you, OS updates are always welcomed. But the UX is what users will see first and form a first impression, if this component is bad, then the OS will lose many potential users and no future updates will make them consider switching.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Totally agree with you, OS updates are always welcomed. But the UX is what users will see first and form a first impression, if this component is bad, then the OS will lose many potential users and no future updates will make them consider switching.

Valid point, which is why (not sure if they even read it) I give honest scores, when the phone system prompts me to ask whether or not I'd recommend the current build to a friend. Trust me, most of those scores have been low. I'm finally starting to see some of the speed I had with 8.1 again, but there are still things to do. I just hope that we don't end up in a "take two steps forward and one step back" situation. What's fixed should stay fixed and get refined, but it shouldn't end up broken again

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I just hope that we don't end up in a "take two steps forward and one step back" situation. What's fixed should stay fixed and get refined, but it shouldn't end up broken again

sadly, that's a common tactic from Microsoft, and I'm tired of this WaaS argument as well, they are using it as an excuse to deliver mediocre software, that's ok for their desktop OS which is the entire market itself, quite the contrary to the mobile situation, I just hope by this point most of the wp user base is fanboys and people that don't care and are used to wp already

its incredible the amount of bad press around w10m compared to previous releases, I'm tired of 8.1 and want that RTM build badly but I always find someone talking about a new problem, like this pathetic Cortana app which looks the same as the desktop one with forced white background cards and opens a browser tab every time it misses a question, then I wonder what I would gain from w10m and... it gets pretty dark, the flashlight toggle in the action center? lol

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Wow. Somebody's just annoyed as me over this sluggish flashlight toggle! Even my homie noticed when we REALLY had to use it at night in the park... And then I get these questions again from fellow iPhone users: "How can you live with a constant work and progress on your phone? My iPhone JUST works!" Well.... what do we answer to these type of questions guys.....?

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Somebody's just annoyed as me over this sluggish flashlight toggle! Even my homie noticed when we REALLY had to use it at night in the park... And then I get these questions again from fellow iPhone users: "How can you live with a constant work and progress on your phone? My iPhone JUST works!" Well.... what do we answer to these type of questions guys.....?

Say that we love to live dangerously. But you are right, releasing a work in progress software as a final RTM build is bad, because everyday users wont like it and will avoid it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
So, with all the bad, subjective reviews, W10 is a car crash? Why is it then that when Gurgle release another droid, to fix their issues, they don't get slated? Why is it that device reviews are mostly favourable as well? Having worked with droid, in vanilla, you would not believe the issues. The difference being, the source code was released for devs to tinker with. Could that be the issue? Win10m, is locked down so bedroom devs can't tinker / improve.

People, especially those reviewers who have an agenda, don't want to express the MSFT regular update side of W10. Again, google do it all the time, and it is plugged as a new OS. We all know it isn't, and it appears this is the model MSFT has chosen with W10, yet they get slated for it, even with the promise, unlike droid, of supporting older devices.

All seems a bit one sided.....

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Say that we love to live dangerously. But you are right, releasing a work in progress software as a final RTM build is bad, because everyday users wont like it and will avoid it.

If Microsoft think they can pull the "here's our new mobile OS, now it is a work in progress so stay with us" they're not only delusional but also not on the correct medication.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
when Gurgle release another droid, to fix their issues, they don't get slated? Why is it that device reviews are mostly favourable as well?

Possibly because Google aren't playing catchup to Google :? Hell the apps Microsoft will release on W10m are already available on Android (and iOS) devices. Microsoft may get less criticism if their updates actually finish off some features e.g. what the frak is going on with Cortana 18 months down the road?

People, especially those reviewers who have an agenda, don't want to express the MSFT regular update side of W10. Again, google do it all the time, and it is plugged as a new OS.
:? Not sure what you are trying to say here is it that every time a new version of Android comes out it is said to be a new OS yet a new version by Microsoft is just referred to as an update? If so the it's the exact opposite.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte