MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with you but in a different angle. The OS is not at all optimized for older snapdragon processors and that means the entire x20 series. and most of them having 512MB RAM doesn't help either. I know this cause my 520 on 8.1 and 10 shows difference clearly as distinct as day and night performance wise. They still need to add many features that were promised. And the slow development is not helping either.

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I still think Windows mobile (desktop there can't be any doubt) is the FAR superior operating system. For various reasons you all know. Not only is it the CURRENT best OS but also their vision for the FUTURE is superior and best thought out.

Also one must not forget that 10 mobile is yet another reboot. This time they WILL make it right because they have a master plan (UWP+ WAAS). This time they not only want to create a good and productive mobile OS, they also want to create a robust and future proof infrastructure beneath it. So from now on Windows (mobile) will flourish. This is why the platform will take off now. There are so many people just waiting to ditch their terrible, unreliable and overpowered Android phones and their incredibly boring iOS devices for something more productive and robust.

Obviously a lot of things are still missing or things are not aligned properly but the core purpose and functions are usable and inconsistencies in the UI are not necessarily realized by the average consumer. Also, THIS is why we have the insider program! WE can shape this OS to a certain extent. This is the point from where everything else builds (pun intended) upon.

Meanwhile look at iOS users. They tend to be more interesting than Android users because they care a lot and identify with the philosophy of Apple to fullest, even more than some of us do with Windows. If Apple would downgrade iCloud there would be no uprisal or protest. Never. There is always a legit reason for Apple to take decisions. Do NOT question this as a faithful iSheep!

Well look at Apple's strategy. It is the exact opposite of the ONE Windows pursues. Creating more and more small OS's (latest example TVos) and splitting their eco system into a thousand pieces instead of aligning it. It may have certain advantages in the short term (TVos for example can evolve faster when it is is own OS) but in the long term Windows will take the lead. The UWP is just too tempting for developers. In three years from now the Windows store WILL have the better and more productive apps and Apple's store will still have the newest indie games and lifestyle/trend apps. The average 13 year old will STILL want the newest iPhone. The average over-20-year-old will not. Apple's devices will broaden it's Justin Bieber type of fan base where the age average sits at around 15-16sh. And that's being nice. At some point Apple's operating system WILL have to go universal if they don't want their OSX Store to just sit there and die. IF they DO go down that path, which they will have to also because of more efficient resource management, I would bet on their unified system being more iOS like than OSX like. 80% percent of their revenue comes from the iPhone and in the end OSX is also primarily for internet browsing and media consumption.

By then though, Windows will have established their Operating System and the eco system around it to the point where it will be impossible to catch up. Big names will be present in the store, the bridges will be used to port existing apps and the go to place for any program will... be the windows store.

To iPhone users saying their "iOS device just works" personally I would say "Yes. Your iPhone works. As it has always done in its very simplistic pitiful existence. It is essentially an app drawer with a lockscreen on top of it. Congratulations!" A door also "just works". That doesn't mean a portal would be way cooler! ;)

P.S I love my iPod because "It just works".....most of the time

Last edited:

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I still think Windows mobile (desktop there can't be any doubt) is the FAR superior operating system. For various reasons you all know. Not only is it the CURRENT best OS but also their vision for the FUTURE is superior and best thought out.

Also one must not forget that 10 mobile is yet another reboot. This time they WILL make it right because they have a master plan (UWP+ WAAS). This time they not only want to create a good and productive mobile OS, they also want to create a robust and future proof infrastructure beneath it. So from now on Windows (mobile) will flourish. This is why the platform will take off now. There are so many people just waiting to ditch their terrible, unreliable and overpowered Android phones and their incredibly boring iOS devices for something more productive and robust.

Obviously a lot of things are still missing or things are not aligned properly but the core purpose and functions are usable and inconsistencies in the UI are not necessarily realized by the average consumer. Also, THIS is why we have the insider program! WE can shape this OS to a certain extent. This is the point from where everything else builds (pun intended) upon.

Meanwhile look at iOS users. They tend to be more interesting than Android users because they care a lot and identify with the philosophy of Apple to fullest, even more than some of us do with Windows. If Apple would downgrade iCloud there would be no uprisal or protest. Never. There is always a legit reason for Apple to take decisions. Do NOT question this as a faithful iSheep!

Well look at Apple's strategy. It is the exact opposite of the ONE Windows pursues. Creating more and more small OS's (latest example TVos) and splitting their eco system into a thousand pieces instead of aligning it. It may have certain advantages in the short term (TVos for example can evolve faster when it is is own OS) but in the long term Windows will take the lead. The UWP is just too tempting for developers. In three years from now the Windows store WILL have the better and more productive apps and Apple's store will still have the newest indie games and lifestyle/trend apps. The average 13 year old will STILL want the newest iPhone. The average over-20-year-old will not. Apple's devices will broaden it's Justin Bieber type of fan base where the age average sits at around 15-16sh. And that's being nice. At some point Apple's operating system WILL have to go universal if they don't want their OSX wow to just say there and die. IF that so go down that park, I would

Now you've made sense. Well said and I do agree.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I love the fact that the website compared a PRE RELEASE version of an operating system to a released one. Well android is in the same boat really. That OS is ALWAYS in a constant state of We are upgrading this or that. Apple is not, its exactly the same as it was in ios 1. Boring and juvenile.

I am going to windows 10 via the insider program when the new update comes out on Thursday as I figure that's what AT&T is getting to bake in their crap with for our update. I was somewhat happy on 10166, I had good battery life, and smooth flow, some things too a little longer to open, and the camera was horrendous.

I have been reading that these issues have been fixed now so I am ready to go.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
So from now on Windows (mobile) will flourish. This is why the platform will take off now. There are so many people just waiting to ditch their terrible, unreliable and overpowered Android phones and their incredibly boring iOS devices for something more productive and robust.

Soo many people waiting to ditch their iPhones and Androids. Yeah right, and you know this how exactly? Have you interviewed millions of people and asked them their needs? People are pretty happy with their devices.

but in the long term Windows will take the lead. The UWP is just too tempting for developers.

I would really like to believe this, but I'm just not seeing the "too tempting for developers" part. I was expecting to see a bunch of developers on board by now, but it's not really happening.

In three years from now the Windows store WILL have the better and more productive apps and Apple's store will still have the newest indie games and lifestyle/trend apps.

I dunno dude, I think you may be overshooting here a little bit.

The average 13 year old will STILL want the newest iPhone. The average over-20-year-old will not.

You don't actually believe this do you?

80% percent of their revenue comes from the iPhone and in the end OSX is also primarily for internet browsing and media consumption.

You're leaving out all of the professional/non-professional music and film people who use nothing but Mac's, and wouldn't touch a Windows machine with a ten foot pole. Mac's have solidified their place in certain industries, but you're on a mission to downplay them here so...who am I to say? FYI I hate Mac's and would never own one.

By then though, Windows will have established their Operating System and the eco system around it to the point where it will be impossible to catch up.

There's no way you're talking about mobile here, are you seriously talking about mobile?

Big names will be present in the store, the bridges will be used to port existing apps and the go to place for any program will... be the windows store.

I dunno man, I like your enthusiasm though.

To iPhone users saying their "iOS device just works" personally I would say "Yes. Your iPhone works. As it has always done in its very simplistic pitiful existence. It is essentially an app drawer with a lockscreen on top of it.

Heh

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Oh so that's why the store is currently overflowing with new apps........ The "master plan" is seriously flawed.

Apps take time to develop. Obviously the developers waited on how the new OS will be received before they go all out, I mean look at the Windows 8 store. That played out very well. Also Microsoft is promising all the developers these "magical" bridges. Why develop a complete new app now if you can port it easily and improve it from there on? Well the bridges are not out yet...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's anywhere near ready for release. Camera app is still horrible compared to Lumia Camera, and there is no new features added which are already available on other smartphones.

Why Camera? It's like the first think people ask about.

Photos app doesn't even have a light thrtr.

UI is a complete mess, Microsoft's own apps all follow some other design language so there is no consistency.

Nothing special about the Lock screen

Nothing new about Livetiles, groupings

No custom keyboards as keyboard in my native language is still useless.

Yada yada yada yada yada, could go on..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And let's not even start on stability and some random bugs which are so random that you don't even know why they occur. Hehe

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Soo many people waiting to ditch their iPhones and Androids. Yeah right, and you know this how exactly? Have you interviewed millions of people and asked them their needs? People are pretty happy with their devices.
I know this is wishful thinking and if it ever happens, it will take time. I'm talking about the OS being superior, not more widespread. Market share isn't everything. If you reach the people you want to reach, that's fine. It won't bring the newest indie game titles though...

but in the long term Windows will take the lead. The UWP is just too tempting for developers.
Apps take time to develop. Obviously the developers waited on how the new OS will be received before they go all out, I mean look at the Windows 8 store. That played out very well. Also Microsoft is promising all the developers these "magical" bridges. Why develop a complete new app now if you can port it easily and improve it from there on? Well the bridges are not out yet...

You don't actually believe this do you?
Ok, yeah this was a little over the top. What's so bad about a little exaggeration if you have a good point, then it's the above 30 year olds :D

You're leaving out all of the professional/non-professional music and film people who use nothing but Mac's, and wouldn't touch a Windows machine with a ten foot pole. Mac's have solidified their place in certain industries, but you're on a mission to downplay them here so...who am I to say? FYI I hate Mac's and would never own one.
I was hoping somebody would say this. Why exactly is the iMac (or the pathetic new MacPro) better for editing 4K? Because of the raw power one needs for this task? Oh, no wait the iMac is a laptop with a big screen. Damn it! They wouldn't touch a Windows machine because of preference. That's it. Because it LOOKS nicer and more hip. What are these certain industries you're talking about? I could think of some. Expensive private schools, top class layers, top notch private doctors etc. Pretty much any "industry" that want's to be on top or thinks it is. Why do all of these people use Mac? Because of Marketing, because of the apple logo.

There's no way you're talking about mobile here, are you seriously talking about mobile?
There is no REAL mobile anymore. Desktop and mobile share 96% percent in code (not verified yet). I'm talking about the OS as a whole. You, asking this question just makes sense because with this you admit you do not understand the essence of UWP (or I don't get it).

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Give it up with this tired BS excuse it was trotted out a month before Windows 10 went live and in the next month nothing changed.

It's not an exuse for anything. Just sayin' you're heavy on the trigger when you're complaining about unfinished software. I'm sure that MS know about the stuff that's obviously not done yet. It's very normal to put off things until the very last befor releasing software. Some stuff is just added early without any intention of having it look or work that way when it all is done.

You talk about Windows 10. I can remember Windows 10 being a total crap until nearly the end of the developement, and it's now the best and most innovative OS out there. This can be true for Windows 10 Mobile to. I'm not gonna judge it before it's even released officialy.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not an exuse for anything. Just sayin' you're heavy on the trigger when you're complaining about unfinished software. I'm sure that MS know about the stuff that's obviously not done yet. It's very normal to put off things until the very last befor releasing software. Some stuff is just added early without any intention of having it look or work that way when it all is done.

You talk about Windows 10. I can remember Windows 10 being a total crap until nearly the end of the developement, and it's now the best and most innovative OS out there. This can be true for Windows 10 Mobile to. I'm not gonna judge it before it's even released officialy.

brah, u dont get it. W10M will RTM in 2 days. What kind of a miracle MS can do in 48 hours to make the UI more consistent ? to fix the many bugs? Like i said, MS has one chance to impress users with this new OS and their first impression would be through the UI. If the UI is a mess, OS wont appeal to many potential new users.

Skittle Milk

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I will agree that the UI just seemed...cleaner before. It was it's simplicity and uniqueness that drew me to WP beginning with Mango. Now...I just dunno. I'm a huge Microsoft fan especially as far as PCs, tablets and Xbox are concerned...and WP used to be my favorite platform due to the fact that it "just worked" and had expandable storage. (Ironic that my current favorite daily driver, the Lumia 1020, does not.) But THEY might be overshooting a bit here. There are ugly grey accents when everything should be black. Ugly circle elements when everything else is square. Hell, Microsoft's LOGO is made up of four squares...simplicity itself. I'm starting to think maybe Microsoft doesn't know where they wanna go with mobile because if the last key note taught us anything, it's that Microsoft has new and inspiring focus when it comes to the PC and tablet space whereas mobile seems like a grudged burden or afterthought.

Then there's something to be said for the fact that everything we've yet seen is PRERELEASE software. It's like knowingly taking biscuits out of the oven 10 mins before they're done cooking and then complaining that they're unfinished. Windows 10 was a wreck right up until just before its release and now most people sing it's praises when compared to 8.1. We can only hope the same happens for mobile.

And if you really want to complain about how the biscuit you're willingly biting into is doughy and undercooked, just leave it in the oven until it's ready. After all, the baker isn't holding a gun to your head forcing you to eat it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If the UI is a mess, OS wont appeal to many potential new users.

We could turn that argument on its head by saying WP8.1 had the cleanest and most consistent UI of any mobile OS, yet it didn't manage to appeal to many potential users regardless. Doesn't that suggest that the UI is not the determining factor when it comes to consumer appeal?

I completely agree with you that the UI is a mess, and I'd be surprised if it improved much by the time the first devices with W10M ship. I just doubt it's that important. I wish more people cared about this stuff too, but it's a minority of people who have brains that easily/automatically latch on to that kind of thing. Most just don't care, or don't even notice.

There are basically three things that sell mobile phones and OSes to the masses:

1. With this you can do X that you can't do on any other device
3. With this you get the same thing for notably less money
4. With this you'll look better or more successful than your peers.

A consistent UI doesn't fit into any of the above categories. Even if a UI allows you to do something in a much quicker, slicker or easier way, that's not enough of a marketable and/or easily understood advantage to make a difference. The usual response will be: well I can do that too, I just need to press here/slide that/or fiddle that gizmo there... so what?

To be successful with consumers, W10M needs one or more unique features that many people find highly desirable, those features must be easy to understand (fits into one of the above three categories) and they must be easily marketable on television. Without that, nothing else about W10M matters. Before MS offers something like that, things like the UI and OneDrive and everything else we fret about here doesn't matter.

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
If the UI is a mess, OS wont appeal to many potential new users.
The current UI is a mess. That's a fact. It's unfinished. But the average new user will not leave the platform for a inconsistent UI. Neither on a theoretical level "This UI is such a mess! I regret this purchase!" because it's not that bad, nor on a practical level "This UI is such a Mess! I'm leaving!" because who really buys a new phone (or even returns it) for a inconsistent OS. The people that will suffer most under this are we. Thanks Microsoft!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
We could turn that argument on its head by saying WP8.1 had the cleanest and most consistent UI of any mobile OS, yet it didn't manage to appeal to many potential users regardless. Doesn't that suggest that the UI is not the determining factor when it comes to consumer appeal?

I completely agree with you that the UI is a mess, and I'd be surprised if it improved much by the time the first devices with W10M ship. I just doubt it's that important. I wish more people cared about this stuff too, but it's a minority of people who have brains that easily/automatically latch on to that kind of thing. Most just don't care, or don't even notice.

There are basically three things that sell mobile phones and OSes to the masses:

1. With this you can do X that you can't do on any other device
3. With this you get the same thing for notably less money
4. With this you'll look better or more successful than your peers.

A consistent UI doesn't fit into any of the above categories. Even if a UI allows you to do something in a much quicker, slicker or easier way, that's not enough of a marketable and/or easily understood advantage to make a difference. The usual response will be: well I can do that too, I just need to press here/slide that/or fiddle that gizmo there... so what?

To be successful with consumers, W10M needs one or more unique features that many people find highly desirable, those features must be easy to understand (fits into one of the above three categories) and they must be easily marketable on television. Without that, nothing else about W10M matters. Before MS offers something like that, things like the UI and OneDrive and everything else we fret about here doesn't matter.
I don't even know where to start here...but I'll give it a go. Firstly, what happened to number 2. Your listed reasons for buying a handset don't tally with me but you confidently state that's what the masses look for. I certainly dont give a **** what anyone thinks about my phone. Couldn't care less if I tried. Not looking for unique functions either....just something that feels good in the hand, works as it should, isn't missing a key functionality and has a UI I find appealing for a reasonable price. Maybe you're a little status obsessed?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The current UI is a mess. That's a fact. It's unfinished. But the average new user will not leave the platform for a inconsistent UI. Neither on a theoretical level "This UI is such a mess! I regret this purchase!" because it's not that bad, nor on a practical level "This UI is such a Mess! I'm leaving!" because who really buys a new phone (or even returns it) for a inconsistent OS. The people that will suffer most under this are we. Thanks Microsoft!

It is a mess.

It's just, why suffer with horrible UI if every other phone can do the same thing and even more, therefore buys something diffrent next time.

After 3 WPs (not that many for some on here) I wonder why do I turtore myself with this "Coming Soon" and "new apps" for two years and yada yada yada ...

This is the last chance... And it sucks as I really am or was a hardcore Microsoft follower as I dont care anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb