MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I think most of the UI issues aside from maybe having some refined action center with transparency and better settings with more icons and better organized are really down to the apps. And with the app centric model that MS took they can update them any time, every day. No need for a new release to enhance built in features, they have been created as apps. So in the past if Facebook made a change and your people hub got messed up because of it, you need to get a new OS that changes this. With this model MS just updates the app. I hope after RTM build is finalized the start putting all their efforts on the apps and start updating them at an insanely quick rate.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know where to start here...but I'll give it a go.

Yeah, you really shouldn't have given it a go. I can tell you where to start: reread my post and get back to me after understanding it.

None of the things I listed (that would influence mass consumer appeal) appeal to either of us! And what do you know? We both use WP, the mobile choice the masses couldn't care less about...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't even know where to start here...but I'll give it a go. Firstly, what happened to number 2. Your listed reasons for buying a handset don't tally with me but you confidently state that's what the masses look for. I certainly dont give a **** what anyone thinks about my phone. Couldn't care less if I tried. Not looking for unique functions either....just something that feels good in the hand, works as it should, isn't missing a key functionality and has a UI I find appealing for a reasonable price. Maybe you're a little status obsessed?

It's funny but UI matters. That's why I use Windows mobile. BECAUSE OF THE TILE UI!

UI is probably the biggest reason people use windows phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If the UI is a mess, OS wont appeal to many potential new users.
The current UI is a mess. That's a fact. It's unfinished. But the average new user will not leave the platform for a inconsistent UI. Neither on a theoretical level "This UI is such a mess! I regret this purchase!" because it's not that bad, nor on a practical level "This UI is such a Mess! I'm leaving!" because who really buys a new phone (or even returns it) for a inconsistent OS. The people that will suffer most under this are we. Thanks Microsoft!

I think you mixed something up here Hutzi.

The quote you are attributing to me is in fact Rafael Yousuf's. Not mine! In my own reply to his statement I think I clarified that I pretty much agree with all of his views except that an inconsistent UI is a big enough issue to influence mass market popularity.

If I understand you correctly, I think I agree with your points.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's funny but UI matters. That's why I use Windows mobile. BECAUSE OF THE TILE UI!

I wouldn't say live tiles are the only part of WP's UI that many of us find appealing. It's far more than that, although much of it is subtle. The sum of those subtleties are what many of us appreciate, and all of those subtle differences are part of what keep many WP users like us coming back for more, despite WP's and the ecosystem's weaknesses.

The problem is that the number of people who appreciate that sort of thing aren't exactly a huge part of the population. It's people like us. That's not enough. That's also why insulting our UI design sensibilities, by itself, isn't such a huge issue, provided MS can offer something to other types of people.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I gave W10M another try on my TMoUS-branded Lumia 925. I like it much better the second time around, even though it is the same build (10581). I love all the new functionality... vastly improved Mail, Calendar, Office apps; Bluetooth keyboard support; assorted other baked-into the OS features.

Three items of concern that stand out right now:
* A 1020 AT&T friend gave it a whirl and couldn't get the Start screen to display. He's not going to try again until AT&T releases W10M (who knows when that will be--I bet he jumps ship back to iPhone before it arrives).
* I lost music in the transition. Microsoft needs to deal with licensing of music bought from their store the way they handle Office 365: let me specify which devices are allowed to play the music, so that as I move to new devices and OS version, I keep the music I paid for. I lost enough that I may be done buying any music from Microsoft, even if they resurrected Zune and slapped the Groove name on it.
* I have yet to do a full reset. Last time I did that I was left in a state where I couldn't connect to my Microsoft Account, so I basically had a phone that could only make calls and run a handful of built-in apps without any access to my existing data.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. The percent of people who would die without a camera button is like what? .00001?

The pluses of WM over Android or iOS other than the UI are pretty small.

I can understand people leaving WM over apps or something else, but I can't understand any of them not ALSO being pretty upset about losing the UI. I mean, if it wasn't for that UI, why did the majority of them choose WM in the first place?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I like the UI, it's much crisper than 8.1 in my opinion. Not everyone shares the OPs views on the UI. I was slow to come round but it has grown on me to the point that I think 8.1 looks playground next to it.

Agreed. I was a little turned off from W10M when I first started using it but have grown to like it. Now when I have to flash back or buy a new device running 8.1 it looks a little garish.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
With W10M Microsoft threw consistency out the door. Might as well have ported Windows Runtime to Android. Taking the blue pill approach is not doing anyone any favors.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. The percent of people who would die without a camera button is like what? .00001?

I can understand people leaving WM over apps or something else, but I can't understand any of them not ALSO being pretty upset about losing the UI. I mean, if it wasn't for that UI, why did the majority of them choose WM in the first place?

UI (Metro), Phone design, Camera, Nokia (Exclusive Apps / Features)
W10M does not tick any of these for me.

P.S: Shutter button was a big deal too ;)

Kriss_Hietala

May 8, 2014
Visit site
WIndows10m insider version is still in beta/alpha phase. I don't believe in launch in december. Cortana is not even in milestone...is entirely missing in 99% countries.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
WIndows10m insider version is still in beta/alpha phase. I don't believe in launch in december. Cortana is not even in milestone...is entirely missing in 99% countries.

Cortana is unrelated to W10M. Half the things people complain about are unrelated to W10M, they're related to W10 in general. By breaking out basic functionality into Universal apps, they can update both the mobile and desktop sides of things completely independent of the base OS.

Literally the only things that aren't ready at this point is the storage issue and spitshine. Everything else is an app that will be updated accordingly.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
UI (Metro), Phone design, Camera, Nokia (Exclusive Apps / Features)
W10M does not tick any of these for me.
Well the reason it doesn't tick any of those is because WM10 (the subject of this thread) has virtually nothing to do with any of those except the UI. Those may be reasons to like a particular phone, but not to prefer an OS.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
This is getting dull now. Every damned thread is the same, comments are all the same etc..

Be thankful we got an update. Many droid users get dropped after 12 months.

Finally, it's free. It's cost millions to develop win 10 in it's various guises, and they give it away to pretty much anyone.

I understand people's frustrations, I do. I've got 581 on 4 devices, and few issues are duplicated. There will be issues until device specific firmware is included.

I just don't understand the constant bemoaning. Are you reporting these concerns back to MSFT. It smacks of a load of magpies wanting the shiniest objects, only to moan when it isn't shiny at all.

Rather than give up my phone, I think I'll give up the boards....

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
By the look of it, do you mean the Start screen, or did they actually use both OSs?

First of all the start screen. People are used to full screen backgrounds. We are just a minority who find background in only the tiles interesting. Second the pivot style apps with header fonts so large they go out of the screen so you can't read all of it. I liked it, but most people find it to be strange and not logical in a UX point of view. System background theme was either black or white.. etc..

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I think you mean WP, Windows Phone. I don't think anyone fondly remembers Windows Mobile's UI.

Personally I came to WP from Android because of the unique UI and the ease of use. If all I cared about is apps I would've stayed with the Google empire. It not only looked stylish but it also functioned better than Android. I just can't say the same about Windows 10 Whatever. It's like MS took every thing I hated about Android and shoved them into a poorly designed wannabe OS that reeks of desperation. No style and the user friendliness has taken a backseat. Disappointing would be an understatement.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the "everything is grey" part. You can change the accent colour.

He's referring to the dull gray that's everywhere in the UI now. Even the background of the settings app is just a bunch of gray with very little contrast. Changing the accent color does diddly-squat.

I'm just seeing the usual BS rant from here because it doesn't live up to your expectations and the assumption everyone else feels the same way you do.

Some people actually have standards you know. If a product takes a nose dive in quality and someone wants to voice their opinion on a forum why is that a "BS rant"? What's it to you? Are you the Windows opinion police? lol

silentFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I was a little turned off from W10M when I first started using it but have grown to like it. Now when I have to flash back or buy a new device running 8.1 it looks a little garish.

Personally I prefer the new Ui compared to 8.1 where there were big titles as if someone was practising design on it, the old setting were a mess but now they look much better (except for the few like extras that no doubt will be fixed).
Love the new options in the action center, full background start image and as I always say, you have to love something to live with it.
This is my second windows mobile bought my first last year and next I'm getting a windows pc or tablet for an all round ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb