MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

jlabelle

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be in minority here when I see all the vocal feedback.
I have followed the different builds evolution since the beginning and was also really concern on W10 mobile with all the bugs and issued I encounter.
Recently, I broke the screen of my Lumia 930 so was on W8.1 on the Lumia 640 Dual-SIM of the work for a month. Then last, week, I upgraded to the 10581 built and jesus, it is GREAT.

I mean, the start screen is really beautiful now, the Live Tiles are working perfectly, all the features are great in the various universal apps.
I clearly see this W10 build (except non synchro of Edge bookmarks and the SD card setting bug) as RTM quality.

And honestly, I am surprised because I am overwhelmed by the evolution since W8.1, this is really feeling like a new device and completely new OS that for me is far FAR superior to the iPhone 6 of my wife.

So maybe I am delusional but I am particularly optimist on the quality of W10 mobile.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
my 1020 feels like a new phone with the latest preview on, i was a tester some months back, but rolled back to 8.1 after a while because of lack of basic functionality, but i tell you what, and am suprised at this, is my 1020, on clean, vanilla, stock 8.1 (did a hard reset, and didnt restore, new install, all fresh when i rolled back to 8.1) on that, i continued to have app crashes, resuming hangs, stuck tiles, reboots from opening random apps, and often it would take multiple (5-10) attempts to open an app, it would CTD - it was slower than it is now overall

so when i decided to test the progress the other day, to see how things had moved on?, i wasnt expecting much tbh, and am very pleased with the cohesion, performance and fixes to what i had issues with before, its come a long way, and its a total daily driver now, no issues, for me at least,
i havent had one resume hang, not one app crash, everything seems to work in the background better

i must say with all of that said, this was an upgrade from 8.1, meaning i haven't even hard reset after installing w10m (because i expected to be rolling back not long after!)

so i was depressed at the whole w10m thing a few months back but am now seeing this "preview" as even better, faster, more reliable, than the legitimate RTM 8.1 which was always alleged to be slick, stable and just worked!!!!!

about time :) and don't jeopardize all of that by sticking back in some kind of bloated android emulation layer, primarily, let windows phone be windows phone, if there is zero hit from it, sure, bring it on and implement it

personally, i think now that MS owns lumia (rather than just making an OS for other OEMS), we are going to see a more aligned example of what we have always known of apple, a company who controls their OS and hardware, and this is known for making a better, leaner, more efficient and optimized UX, and this is believe is the beginning of what i am seeing in this new update/era for ms/lumia!

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
One thing to remember everyone - RTM for mobile is not the same as RTM for desktop. RTM for mobile means they are releasing the build to the carriers (and the couple of manufacturers who have a couple of phones out there that aren't Lumia). The testing will take 2-3 months minimum. The average user still won't see W10M until January or February. There will be at least 6 more builds before this is released in the wild.

A lot of people believe it will be released tomorrow.

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Until they adapt their UI to offer similar experience like the big two players they will not gain new adopters. Dock Icons, Grid App drawer, "original" icons instead of monochromatic (or even the smallest tile to be replaced by original icon of the app), etc... The OS in its core is not comparable with Android (its much better), but simply people are refusing the new experience (like it was w8). Microsoft now are just stubborn and are trying to push that "we are different" in a non sense way.
Live tiles on W10 desktop? Does anyone use them?
sorry about my bad english and maybe confusing post

visu9211

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I hope you are Right... But I have yet to see any DEV temptations for the Universal Windows App platform... They are going further into iOS/Android with this. I think The future is that MS is an enterprise company and the few Consumer products that it will have will be usable apps/services on iOS/Android only with WP in eternal beta with no App support.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. I still think Windows mobile (desktop there can't be any doubt) is the FAR superior operating system. For various reasons you all know. Not only is it the CURRENT best OS but also their vision for the FUTURE is superior and best thought out.

Also one must not forget that 10 mobile is yet another reboot. This time they WILL make it right because they have a master plan (UWP+ WAAS). This time they not only want to create a good and productive mobile OS, they also want to create a robust and future proof infrastructure beneath it. So from now on Windows (mobile) will flourish. This is why the platform will take off now. There are so many people just waiting to ditch their terrible, unreliable and overpowered Android phones and their incredibly boring iOS devices for something more productive and robust.

Obviously a lot of things are still missing or things are not aligned properly but the core purpose and functions are usable and inconsistencies in the UI are not necessarily realized by the average consumer. Also, THIS is why we have the insider program! WE can shape this OS to a certain extent. This is the point from where everything else builds (pun intended) upon.

Meanwhile look at iOS users. They tend to be more interesting than Android users because they care a lot and identify with the philosophy of Apple to fullest, even more than some of us do with Windows. If Apple would downgrade iCloud there would be no uprisal or protest. Never. There is always a legit reason for Apple to take decisions. Do NOT question this as a faithful iSheep!

Well look at Apple's strategy. It is the exact opposite of the ONE Windows pursues. Creating more and more small OS's (latest example TVos) and splitting their eco system into a thousand pieces instead of aligning it. It may have certain advantages in the short term (TVos for example can evolve faster when it is is own OS) but in the long term Windows will take the lead. The UWP is just too tempting for developers. In three years from now the Windows store WILL have the better and more productive apps and Apple's store will still have the newest indie games and lifestyle/trend apps. The average 13 year old will STILL want the newest iPhone. The average over-20-year-old will not. Apple's devices will broaden it's Justin Bieber type of fan base where the age average sits at around 15-16sh. And that's being nice. At some point Apple's operating system WILL have to go universal if they don't want their OSX Store to just sit there and die. IF they DO go down that path, which they will have to also because of more efficient resource management, I would bet on their unified system being more iOS like than OSX like. 80% percent of their revenue comes from the iPhone and in the end OSX is also primarily for internet browsing and media consumption.

By then though, Windows will have established their Operating System and the eco system around it to the point where it will be impossible to catch up. Big names will be present in the store, the bridges will be used to port existing apps and the go to place for any program will... be the windows store.

To iPhone users saying their "iOS device just works" personally I would say "Yes. Your iPhone works. As it has always done in its very simplistic pitiful existence. It is essentially an app drawer with a lockscreen on top of it. Congratulations!" A door also "just works". That doesn't mean a portal would be way cooler! ;)

P.S I love my iPod because "It just works".....most of the time

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
MS has said windows is now a service so it will be a perpetual evolvement never a total finished product. Deal with it.

I think you should deal with the fact that nobody's going to put up with a crashy, buggy OS and UI on a phone, sitting on a retail store display. Customers will just walk over to the next phone on display.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just like the title says, I believe that the current build or even the next one won't be RTM ready. I am not talking about performance, I am talking about the UI & UX of W10M. The UI is a mess (specially with all the gray color used everywhere).
I mean how do they say it is ready if Cortana is still using the Bing mobile site to show search result.
Users notice the UI first.if the Ui is a mess, don't expect the OS to be a success.

I feel sad for the current state of W10M.
I wish MS. would do something about their UI team.

What do u guys think?

I respectfully disagree with everything you stated.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
What is your build? 10581 does a lot of store fix, in my case, all apps update fine, no more error

Oh that's the problem I overlooked updating to the latest version... YES I'M running 10581 I've tried it on a 920 and 930, store is a dog for both

I have yet to see any DEV temptations for the Universal Windows App platform

Very little reason to USE universal apps unless that changes why develop them

sorry about my bad english

You could be teaching English to some of these members

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Can't speak for everyone, but I use them.

ok...i didn't meant literally no one, but most people around me, as I can notice are using them simply as shortcuts to applications. Nothing more. Same as icons on desktop. They would be much more useful if we could stick some of them on desktop. (as widgets). Anyhow...maybe I'm wrong on this...

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep windows 10 Mobile UI still look like an alpha version then again I'm not expecting any hard work from them I gave up I have zero expectations for Microsoft to do some real work on windows mobile for another 2 years

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep windows 10 Mobile UI still look like an alpha version then again I'm not expecting any hard work from them I gave up I have zero expectations for Microsoft to do some real work on windows mobile for another 2 years
I want to know why MS allows so many alpha grade testers into the Insider program.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Somebody's just annoyed as me over this sluggish flashlight toggle! Even my homie noticed when we REALLY had to use it at night in the park... And then I get these questions again from fellow iPhone users: "How can you live with a constant work and progress on your phone? My iPhone JUST works!" Well.... what do we answer to these type of questions guys.....?
Well you could tell them that your phone is running unfinished beta software... Which is precisely the reason I'm running it on a backup device, not my daily driver.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think The future is that MS is an enterprise company

^This^. The last few years Microsoft has struggled greatly in the consumer mobile division, but they are a trend setter in enterprise products. My boss was to the MVP Global Summit last week, and it was interesting to hear his report what all is going on there (mostly in the department of our focus). Enterprise is where the money is for Microsoft, which is why that is their focus. I can certainly understand the business decision behind a Surface phone, and not caring much about phones for consumers (assuming the rumors are true).

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Well you could tell them that your phone is running unfinished beta software...
Haha. I have numerous times. They know. Some people just don't understand why you should do this. Especially iOS users. Most of them just think a OS just magically appears and works perfectly just like everything else Apple does...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos