MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's kind of pointless to have so many alpha testers who send trillion feedback on every part of the OS when you don't listen to them
You do understand that the user base right now is so fragmented that if MS tried to please everyone that they would never be able to release anything. The OS would be 100 GBs and people would just moan that it takes up too much space.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
You do understand that the user base right now is so fragmented that if MS tried to please everyone that they would never be able to release anything. The OS would be 100 GBs and people would just moan that it takes up too much space.
If Microsoft worked hard on WP there won't be any need to moan about anything but they are incompetent, lazy, careless, slow company ONLY WHEN IT COMES TO WP. Sorry I like them but that's the truth they are a sloth on WP but extremely competitive in other MS departments

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

They don't need to please everyone. They need to offer a product that is finished / polished on a level of the competitors. An because with their small base of users, they can not change "general habits of mobile experience" - they need to offer similar experience (or to offer something breakthrough like Apple did with introducing of iPhone)
My opinion is that different UI experience is bigger problem than app gap. Most of the people I think, are not so demanding about the apps.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it's kind of pointless to have so many alpha testers who send trillion feedback on every part of the OS when you don't listen to them
Problem is that valid suggestions get overshadowed by complaints. And they leave feedback that has already been fixed. So it's always at the top. The default search order is trending. No one even sees anything else. I have great suggestions that people on reddit have agreed with but it's buried. Plus sometimes they should not count based on votes but use their own judgment on what's good. But doubt they even see it. They need to cater to things that May appeal to ios/android fans not just ms fans. Like most people I have spoken to think the live folders make the screen too busy . So I suggested a method for dynamic/static configurations and I mentioned how it can be done per folder during creation and a simple toggle in edit mode . But it has like one vote . But every person I have ever shown it to in person doesn't like it. Phone reps, friends on other platforms. So yeah again that's a big subset of users.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Problem is that valid suggestions get overshadowed by complaints. And they leave feedback that has already been fixed. So it's always at the top. The default search order is trending. No one even sees anything else. I have great suggestions that people on reddit have agreed with but it's buried. Plus sometimes they should not count based on votes but use their own judgment on what's good. But doubt they even see it. They need to cater to things that May appeal to ios/android fans not just ms fans. Like most people I have spoken to think the live folders make the screen too busy . So I suggested a method for dynamic/static configurations and I mentioned how it can be done per folder during creation and a simple toggle in edit mode . But it has like one vote . But every person I have ever shown it to in person doesn't like it. Phone reps, friends on other platforms. So yeah again that's a big subset of users.
I love the live folders. Maybe no one else has as big an issue as you think. Everyone I talk to likes it.

goaty1992

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Just like the title says, I believe that the current build or even the next one won't be RTM ready. I am not talking about performance, I am talking about the UI & UX of W10M. The UI is a mess (specially with all the gray color used everywhere).
I mean how do they say it is ready if Cortana is still using the Bing mobile site to show search result.
Users notice the UI first.if the Ui is a mess, don't expect the OS to be a success.

I feel sad for the current state of W10M.
I wish MS. would do something about their UI team.

What do u guys think?
Hi Rafael,
I understand that you (and lots of WP fans) are disappointed with the new UI/Design.
That why we are the hipsters who use an OS with the design language so different from other platforms. Lots of us love black&white. It looks like we're using the mobile
version of MS-DOS.
And don't get me wrong, I LIKE it. But it's just not the taste of most users.
The new design is absolutely needed if WM is to attract more users. Design is about satisfying the majority.
So if you hope MS are going back to the old design, you're out of luck.
As for Cortana, you know it's powered by Bing right? They're the SAME thing. You can change the default search engine on the browser thought.

kz_m

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I never own, use, hold, touch or test WP/WM. I do like the os but what me don't go to MS mobile ecosystem is hardware and its price not UI or apps. You can buy many 2/3GB RAM Android phone with price start from $100. Windows phone look overprice especially low to midrange.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 on the desktop has already been released. And it is a buggy, unfinished, unpolished turd. What people are worried about is that the same thing will happen on mobile, where MS isn't a market leader and doesn't have the luxury of doing anything short of hitting it out of the park.

Well said there! Windows 10 as it is now on the desktop is nothing but never ending bugs, broken KB updates, totally not optimized tablet mode etc etc...and windows 10 on the phones is nothing more than a shrinked down PC UI, nothing in place with an amateur design template. This is the result of Nadella's layoff actions within MS. MS has lost the quality it once had. starting with the customer support which is absolutely terrible, zero! value, zero! knowledge and ending with the products we discuss over here and the lack of respect paid to customers.
We are almost at the release of public build for windows 10 mobile and the OS is still running like a snail on most of the devices, besides the last quad core 930,1520,icon ones. I've personally seen the last build running on 920,1020,735,640 and 830 and comparing to 8.1 is slow, very slow, sluggish.
Dreamers here expect perfection from MS in a few weeks :)). I thought until now that Apple delivered the worst beta OS ever with their IOS 8.0 beta series, but it seems that MS has managed to beat them at least in one aspect: worst beta OS :))) almost a year in 3 months and the mobile OS is still as it is...and some here expect devs to simply dive in and make apps :)). Keep waiting my friends...at this rate you'll see some improvements in app situation in at least a year from now, if that's ever gonna happen...

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
spec junkies never will get it - UX isnt exclusively about the most highest ram / cpu, its a lot to do with UI implementation, besides, android, which is an emulation layer, requires big specs to get over its own inherent bloat, native OS's which are optimized to their respective hardware, WP/Apple, generally dont require as much high spec just to get by

I never own, use, hold, touch or test WP/WM. I do like the os but what me don't go to MS mobile ecosystem is hardware and its price not UI or apps. You can buy many 2/3GB RAM Android phone with price start from $100. Windows phone look overprice especially low to midrange.

t0shibasz

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rafael,
I understand that you (and lots of WP fans) are disappointed with the new UI/Design.
That why we are the hipsters who use an OS with the design language so different from other platforms. Lots of us love black&white. It looks like we're using the mobile
version of MS-DOS.
And don't get me wrong, I LIKE it. But it's just not the taste of most users.
The new design is absolutely needed if WM is to attract more users. Design is about satisfying the majority.
So if you hope MS are going back to the old design, you're out of luck.
As for Cortana, you know it's powered by Bing right? They're the SAME thing. You can change the default search engine on the browser thought.

Right to the point I think :)

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
opposite experience for me completely as i posted a few pages back, on my 1020 its blazing fast and stable and hands down thrashes my previous 8.1 OS into the ground!!!!

it's clearly down to peoples settings or how they upgraded? maybe if you have several installs of the preview on top of each other, that could affect it>? i am not sure, all i know is going from 8.1 straight into 10851 even without hard reset is almost perfect here

still running like a snail on most of the devices, besides the last quad core 930,1520,icon ones. I've personally seen the last build running on 920,1020,735,640 and 830 and comparing to 8.1 is slow, very slow, sluggish.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
opposite experience for me completely as i posted a few pages back, on my 1020 its blazing fast and stable and hands down thrashes my previous 8.1 OS into the ground!!!!

it's clearly down to peoples settings or how they upgraded? maybe if you have several installs of the preview on top of each other, that could affect it>? i am not sure, all i know is going from 8.1 straight into 10851 even without hard reset is almost perfect here

You lucky!

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I of course use them as shortcuts. That's their primary role, but also as a quick glance for info (like the weather tile). But I agree that they should have been on the desktop. Maybe MS will have the balls to do that in the future. At the moment the only icon I have on the desktop is the trash bin, so it's basically just wasted space.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes, Cortana is powered by Bing but the problem (IMO) has to do with the look compared to that of WP8.1 There's no consistency with it when you're on a dark theme. Also, I feel it's too vertically laid out. Plus, you don't get to read the first few lines of the information provided anymore.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Reality is there was nothing technically stopping the WP client from doing the same apart from Microsoft's incompetence and unwillingness to update the OS. Or have we all forgotten how Microsoft got up on stage during the launch and touted how WP 8 supported 64 core processors in theory, yet it took them ages to support the latest quad core CPUs. Incompetence, plain and simple. .

That's one of the big drawbacks of 8.1 In order to fix that they would have had to do an OS update. Now it's just an app update.

I love the live folders. Maybe no one else has as big an issue as you think. Everyone I talk to likes it.

It depends what is in it. But it can certainly make the screen look way too busy. And this is what I have been told from android/ios users. Even reps at kiosks that sell phones. Other than that they usually do like the way my start looks. It should be an option and not something that is forced. I too would prefer to be able to set some folders static, others dynamic.

Well said there! Windows 10 as it is now on the desktop is nothing but never ending bugs, broken KB updates, totally not optimized tablet mode etc etc...and windows 10 on the phones is nothing more than a shrinked down PC UI, nothing in place with an amateur design template. This is the result of Nadella's layoff actions within MS. MS has lost the quality it once had. starting with the customer support which is absolutely terrible, zero! value, zero! knowledge and ending with the products we discuss over here and the lack of respect paid to customers.
We are almost at the release of public build for windows 10 mobile and the OS is still running like a snail on most of the devices, besides the last quad core 930,1520,icon ones. I've personally seen the last build running on 920,1020,735,640 and 830 and comparing to 8.1 is slow, very slow, sluggish.
Dreamers here expect perfection from MS in a few weeks :)). I thought until now that Apple delivered the worst beta OS ever with their IOS 8.0 beta series, but it seems that MS has managed to beat them at least in one aspect: worst beta OS :))) almost a year in 3 months and the mobile OS is still as it is...and some here expect devs to simply dive in and make apps :)). Keep waiting my friends...at this rate you'll see some improvements in app situation in at least a year from now, if that's ever gonna happen...

I'm only speaking for myself, but On the latest build of the upcoming RTM and i have 0 issues. I had more issues on the initial RTM no doubt. I know many who also don't have any issues. And I'm not saying you don't. The point is that there will always be people who have issues. I implore you to look at all hte issues mac/ios users are having. It's funny but at least Apple can control the hardware so they shouldn't have as many issues, but they still do. While MS has to deal with so many different configurations it's ridiculous. And ios 9 was actually quite a nightmare if you look it up. That's why they released 9.1 to fix a lot of issues. And of course 8.0 was so bad they had to release 9 just to fix most issues. But you can't compare them as they are working on an OS that is evolving rather than being rewritten. And considering MS is completely rewriting theirs, they are not doing too bad. As of the latest build I haven't had any issues on my 830 other than the known ones. It's super speedy too. And I have so many apps on my start screen it's silly. A lot of them in live folders. I find it impressive as the 830 is not running great hardware. You didn't pay for the internals but mostly the premium design and of course camera.

People just need to stop treating this as an update to 8.1, it really isn't. It's entirely new. They skipped straight to Windows 10 to really make that point. Although my view is if they aren't going to do any more windows versions they should just give it a cool name like "Windows Vision".

Last edited by a moderator:

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
They don't need to please everyone. They need to offer a product that is finished / polished on a level of the competitors. An because with their small base of users, they can not change "general habits of mobile experience" - they need to offer similar experience (or to offer something breakthrough like Apple did with introducing of iPhone)
My opinion is that different UI experience is bigger problem than app gap. Most of the people I think, are not so demanding about the apps.
I disagree completely. I have used Iphones and Android phones and hated them. I'm running 10 on my 735 and other than a few things that I'm sure will be fixed when the official release comes out I am liking it. The only thing I'm missing is some of the apps that I had on the other platforms. One of the biggest satellite company's out there Dish network and there is no working app on Windows. One other app I'm missing on Windows is the swannview security app. You go to any Walmart lowes Home depot, and they sell the swann security cameras. The app works perfect on android and IPhone. I realize these two app don't apply to everyone but idf the app gap wasn't a problem then we wouldn't hear so much about it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Right to the point I think :)
I really hope that post is NOT to the point.

If all we're discussing is aesthetics (monochromatic vs. being "rainbowy"), then this thread is a complete waste of time.

I think most agree that W10M does fix many of WP's perceived aesthetical problems (text not fitting on screen, too bland, etc). Some will maintain MS screwed up as much as it fixed (circles for people, round toggle buttons that seem completely out of place, etc), but that is ultimately all subjective and superficial.

I really hope this thread is not about such superficial issues, but about the areas W10M's UI falls on its face functionally, i.e. in terms of one handed usability, consistency, discoverability, legibility, etc..

In most of those areas W10M does worse than WP. IMHO the main UI benefit W10M gained for all its functional sacrifices is familiarity to iOS and Android users.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Just like the title says, I believe that the current build or even the next one won't be RTM ready. I am not talking about performance, I am talking about the UI & UX of W10M. The UI is a mess (specially with all the gray color used everywhere).
I mean how do they say it is ready if Cortana is still using the Bing mobile site to show search result.
Users notice the UI first.if the Ui is a mess, don't expect the OS to be a success.

I feel sad for the current state of W10M.
I wish MS. would do something about their UI team.

What do u guys think?

I personally think that the important thing is how the os works not what it looks like

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb