MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how many key universal official apps has added to the store so far from banks, games.. ?

No announcement at all, and Ipad pro still beating Surface because of the claim of better app store. Terrible when a more powerful product gets beat up by such a way.

HA HA HA....

that is the funniest thing I have read in here. The ipad pro beating the surface. It does no such thing at all. besides residing in starbucks with hipsters. Most of which probably have steampunk covers on them. ha ha ha.

I love iwhatever fanboys. Thinking just because the great one releases another sub par product that its the best thing since sliced bread. Its just a big expensive Ipad with nothing new to the table besides a lackluster pen and crappy scaling.

Even tim cook has to publically ridicule the surface line because they are getting mopped in this area. He had to do something to get the sheep back in the coral.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
As for Cortana, you know it's powered by Bing right? They're the SAME thing. You can change the default search engine on the browser thought

Look a couple of posts up, i know it is powered by bing (thank god it is) but i am talking on how they just show u the bing site when u search for something instead of the nice, custom UI she had in WP8.1

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
HA HA HA....

The ipad pro beating the surface. It does no such thing at all. besides residing in starbucks with hipsters. Most of which probably have steampunk covers on them. ha ha ha.

I love iwhatever fanboys. Thinking just because the great one releases another sub par product that its the best thing since sliced bread. Its just a big expensive Ipad with nothing new to the table besides a lackluster pen and crappy scaling.

Even tim cook has to publically ridicule the surface line because they are getting mopped in this area. He had to do something to get the sheep back in the coral.

This is all very true but doesn't cover the text you are quoting in regards to official apps and unfortunately apps are the key even tough the typical iUser only seems to sms, check Facebook and play the game of the week they still say "we've got all the apps over here".

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Tell me again please, how do u consider an OS with such a mess in one of the most important components, its shell, READY?

I haven't used Cortana yet. Still not available in my region so I don't know how it looked or look now. But from the screenshot you provided I have to agree with you that it does seem unfinished. Having a hard time believing this is what they will offer in the official release, hence my point, It's not released yet and the current build is over a month old. We don't know yet what will be released when the day comes. But if it's something like that I'll agree with the critism.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a Lumia 532 to try out Windows Mobile 10 as I didn't want to install it on my primary device yet. This is a phone I literally picked up for AU$30, I don't know the specs but I think it's safe to say it's at the low end. Windows Mobile 10 is smooth, fast and hasn't looked like crashing once.
I think one reason why so many people report completely different experiences is the last things that get fixed are the bugs/quirks related to the practically infinite combinations of brands, models, installed apps, etc.. And for the ones that don't get a hard reset, I'm sure the registry in those also have various degrees of decay just like a desktop. That's also why a build that isn't ready for prime time in many handsets could still be near perfect in phones like the 950 and 950XL if that was the focus of development with putting out fires in other models a lower priority.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1. I dont hate MS. As many of you might think, i dont hate MS.
<snipped>

I noticed many people who agreed with me and many who didnt. and i respect both sides,
<snipped>
But then someone like this guy comes along and ruins it for everyone:
<image with profanity snipped>

I think it's obvious to almost everyone that you don't hate WP/WM. There will always be a minority of people who can't differ between hate and passionate concern though. Just ignore it. Don't sweat it.

I agree with your analysis of the UI problems (IMHO much more could be added). I think you're just massively overestimating the potential those UI issues have to deter interested customers from purchasing a WM phone.

The comments have shown us that a large group of WCentral members dispute that any such serious UI issues exist at all. Many just don't see the problems or think we're making mountains out of mole hills.

While there is also a large group of members who agree with the view that W10M isn't ready for primetime, a closer look suggests most of them only agree with the general consensus, but less so with the notion that this is primarily due to UI concerns. There is surprisingly little talk of the UI in the comments at all.

... and these are the views of WCentral members and WP veterans.

If not even a majority of WP's biggest fans share these UI concerns, what are the chances of iOS/Android users caring about (not to mention even noticing) what we're criticizing? IMHO pretty much zero.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised to read that you're a developer. Any analytical job where you're often hunting out the smallest of inconsistencies, conceptual incompleteness or asymmetries will shape how you perceive things, UIs included.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
hence my point, It's not released yet and the current build is over a month old. We don't know yet what will be released when the day comes. But if it's something like that I'll agree with the critism.

"Bug fixing only" Everyone wearing the I :love: Windows 10 sandwich board was saying the same thing a month prior to official launch seemingly thinking Microsoft would apply some delicious layer of icing but it didn't happen and it was pretty clear it was never going to.

If they're planning to lay down any big changes it would completely underplay having an insider program.

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I think "ready" and "optimal" are very different things. In my opinion, it's ready. It's fast and far more functional than 8.1.

It's definitely NOT consistent UI-wise. You have ellipsis menus, you have hamburgers, sometimes you even have both. But, like someone said, WP 8.1 was incredibly consistent, and that helped keep developers away. And users won't be that pushed away by inconsistency. They might notice it, but I don't think it'll stop anyone from using it.

It's NOT optimal. We expected more in some ways, sure. More consistency would be great, more parity between desktop and mobile apps would also be welcome. We definitely NEED a better Skype experience. But it's ready. The things that are missing do not warrant, in my vision, a delay of the launch. I like the OS enough as it is. I'm still waiting for some improvements, but even as it is right now, it's my favorite OS.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Now, I understand everyone is complaining about the UI and bugs and everything. Why complain about it when we know it's the features and everything else is what we really love about it. If we really had a problem with the bugs and the UI then there wouldn't be no INSIDER MEMBERS.
I am loyal to windows because that they keep on fixing and improving and I give them my respect.
What I really want to know Is there anyone who receives any RTM updates so far?

JasonSCarter

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
MS needs to be careful here. They need to have a solid RTM release. We don't want another ATT 830 issue where it comes out with a software version that doesn't have everything working as it should, then the provider sits on the update for 10 months. I knows has a new update model for W10M, but that remains to be seen how that will work with ATT, Verizon, and TMobile in the USA.

Mikado_Wu

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While I can agree with something in the Article, Anything from The Register can only be taken with a grain of Salt.

I think the Base Operating System is Probably Read for Production. However Most the APPS no where near ready. Daily Apps like, Mail, Groove, Edge still stink. The People do not care about the underlying code they care about the apps.

Microsoft has been waiting for the Devlopers to Develop Apps. Sadly this is just like the Hardware side. Dell, HP and others built crap hardware and Apple Passed them. Microsoft had to start making the Surface line. We see the same thing with the APPS. However right now, the Microsoft APP Team, Sucks. Why Why Why, we still not have a funictional tool like the Zune Player. Just make no sense to me.

Triogap

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Solid and fast? Not anymore, it's not. W10M is NOW exactly like Android in the performance department. By that, I mean it completely depends on the hardware you have it on. WP7 and WP8 did NOT depend on the hardware, and ran great on everything. I've been testing this disgusting W10 on a Lumia 635 and 640. It runs the worst on the 635 and is BARELY acceptable on the 640. Cortana is a completely loss on both devices, and there is no smoothness in any of the operation of apps and screens. Oh, sure, I'll just bet it runs quite well on a 6-core or 8-core machine with loads of RAM. Welcome to Android's world.

I'm using it on my 620 as my daily driver. And I have very little problems with it. Ones every 3 days it just freezes up, and I'm required to actually remove the battery. But other then that it is very stable, and app switching is very fluid compared to the situation with WP8 and WP8.1. Oh also forgot, I have a small problem with background audio playback resuming after I receive or place a call.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
No announcement at all, and Ipad pro still beating Surface because of the claim of better app store. Terrible when a more powerful product gets beat up by such a way.
Ipad Pro has been out less than 24 hours. There are no sales numbers. There is no claims of it beating the Surface. The Surface products have been causing a steep decline in Ipad sales, causing Apple to make the iPad Pro to attempt relevancy in the market again, because they were losing that battle in a big way. There is zero evidence that the iPad Pro will succeed with this attempt. There is also zero evidence that it won't. You'll have to give it more than half a day of sales in order to find out.

I knows has a new update model for W10M, but that remains to be seen how that will work with ATT, Verizon, and TMobile in the USA.
The new W10M phones announced so far will not be sold on Verizon or Sprint, nor work on their networks. T-Mobile customers can use an unlocked version.

Let's get to the crux of it. AT&T has already announced that Microsoft will control all updates to Windows 10 Mobile. Once you get it on your device, there will be no more carrier interference. Carriers will be allowed to give "input" before Microsoft rolls out an update, but it is Microsoft that will make the decision to throw the switch and update everyone. There won't be fragmented versions any longer.

Just like other carriers will be unable to stop iOS from getting updates, they will be unable to stop W10M as well. This is the best part of the news for W10M, and it's about time Microsoft stole this play from Apple's playbook. If Apple can make an iPad Pro, then Microsoft can get updates rolled out.

The big problem, of course, is getting the carriers to allow people to upgrade to W10M, where the carrier knows they lose all control after that point.

JasonSCarter

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Let's get to the crux of it. AT&T has already announced that Microsoft will control all updates to Windows 10 Mobile. Once you get it on your device, there will be no more carrier interference. Carriers will be allowed to give "input" before Microsoft rolls out an update, but it is Microsoft that will make the decision to throw the switch and update everyone. There won't be fragmented versions any longer.

Latest news I saw on that was this:
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...bypass-carriers-for-windows-10-mobile-updates

I haven't seen anything directly from ATT saying they won't stand in the way like they do now. We are still going to be waiting on carriers to approve updates in some fashion. Or give input/bug fixes. It remains to be seen if it truly will be a faster update process for Windows 10 Mobile devices here in the USA.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ It's funny (/s) how Thurrott and WMPU interpret that statement from MS in completely different ways. One says nothing has changed, WMPU claims everything has changed.

Ho hum...

I wish MS would one day publish a FAQ that answers these types of questions with some technical depth rather than just talking points.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Latest news I saw on that was this:
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/win...bypass-carriers-for-windows-10-mobile-updates

I haven't seen anything directly from ATT saying they won't stand in the way like they do now. We are still going to be waiting on carriers to approve updates in some fashion. Or give input/bug fixes. It remains to be seen if it truly will be a faster update process for Windows 10 Mobile devices here in the USA.

^ It's funny (/s) how Thurrott and WMPU interpret that statement from MS in completely different ways. One says nothing has changed, WMPU claims everything has changed.

Ho hum...

I wish MS would one day publish a FAQ that answers these types of questions with some technical depth rather than just talking points.

Look at the article closely from Thurrott and where he gets his information. Look at the source link. It's the WMPU article that lists the statement from MS and both the statement AND the WMPU article show that Microsoft is in control, like I stated above. Thurrott went into panic mode to increase clicks to his site, plain and simple. I lost any respect for that man a long time ago. He either was too incompetent to read the statement, unable to understand what was written, or deliberately wrote a false article. Perhaps he only skimmed too quickly and misinterpreted, but a responsible journalist (which seems to be rare these days) makes sure of the facts before they portray the facts.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720