MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
The lack of communication and a clear plan going forward is the real issue. For all of ios' issues, at least the public knows where the software is going and when they will get it. Why is it MS feels like a start up company.

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft would've gotten a big boost visually by UI concept designers, because I've seen alot of great designs out there. My one big concern however is not with landscape and lack of transparency but in fact the decision to remove the 4th tile size option from an earlier build. It was an awesome feature which would've made W10M start screen resemble that of W10 even more, a subtle but visually pleasing feature. All in all I think W10M is a great upgrade from 8.1 and the fact that it will he updated as time goes by makes me excited to see what's just around the corner.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
W10M looks nice and works nice on my 930, UI/UX can be polished a bit more with future updates like on the desktop/tablet version. W10(M) will be an OS in progress and will see enhancements based on feedback, unlike say W7 for instance. People talking about how buggy an insider build is or that it is not complete should stay away from the insider program simple as that.
The key words here are "constructive criticism". Unfortunately these forums (not necessarily this thread) are filled with anything but. Too many users clearly don't understand the concept of pre-release software and constructive criticism. What I see is a lot of foot stomping and whining about how much MS sucks.

You are entirely correct about constructive criticism being an integral part of the Insider Program. Providing good feedback (either positive or negative) through the Feedback app is what will help MS hopefully improve the OS and feature set.

I'm running the latest build on my 822 and it's the first build that I haven't rolled back from. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

Last edited:

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Trust me on this, if windows ever have as much apps as any android or iphone, people would have switch over instantly!
The design and user experience of WP 7.5-8.1 is awful. Not even an ecosystem advantage could have saved WP from failure.
Metro UI caused many of Microsoft's current problems. Every single product based on that desing has poor user experience and was a failure on the market, dismissed by the public.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The community doesn't actually "fix" anything though - more like putting bandaid over a lost limb.

Disclaimer: I was very deep into custom ROMs on Android and testing out different builds hoping them to "fix issues" that were present out of box, and no, not wanting to go back there ever again.
You've never had webOS then. That community has kept the OS alive for years and continues to this day. Yes, there are broken APIs left and right but if you consider the number of apps and features that sub-4.0 Android devices are missing, it isn't so bad. Heck, Skype doesn't even work on Windows Phone 7 anymore.

shmaun

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I am actually someone who bought my windows phone purely on the UI. I went to buy a Samsung galaxy and ended up with a Lumia 920. I had an open mind when I walked into the store but was aware of the app gap so thought android was the way for me, but I fell in love with the live tiles and pivot navigation. It flows so well and i could use my phone one handed.
I still love windows phone but using the hamburger still bugs me every day. Why do I have to keep reaching to the top left of my screen??? I wish they would find a solution for this. Even putting the hamburger in any other corner works better.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I am actually someone who bought my windows phone purely on the UI. I went to buy a Samsung galaxy and ended up with a Lumia 920. I had an open mind when I walked into the store but was aware of the app gap so thought android was the way for me, but I fell in love with the live tiles and pivot navigation. It flows so well and i could use my phone one handed.
I still love windows phone but using the hamburger still bugs me every day. Why do I have to keep reaching to the top left of my screen??? I wish they would find a solution for this. Even putting the hamburger in any other corner works better.
Yeah I get what you're saying about the hamburger menu. It would be cool if you could set up the phone for left or right handed operation so it could be easier to use with one hand.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The design and user experience of WP 7.5-8.1 is awful. Not even an ecosystem advantage could have saved WP from failure.

Metro UI caused many of Microsoft's current problems. Every single product based on that desing has poor user experience and was a failure on the market, dismissed by the public.

I agree. So awful and poor that 3 years ago I ditched my Android phone and Google to marvel at how awful at everything was. Then I joined the Windows Central forums and shared my terrible experience with others. Such an awful OS with an awful UI.

kawaiigardiner

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The key words here are "constructive criticism". Unfortunately these forums (not necessarily this thread) are filled with anything but. Too many users clearly don't understand the concept of pre-release software and constructive criticism. What I see is a lot of foot stomping and whining about how much MS sucks.

You are entirely correct about constructive criticism being an integral part of the Insider Program. Providing good feedback (either positive or negative) through the Feedback app is what will help MS hopefully improve the OS and feature set.

I'm running the latest build on my 822 and it's the first build that I haven't rolled back from. It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

Unfortunately what I've noticed is that on many forums there seems to be this 'doom and gloom' circle jerk about how the world sucks and how nothing Microsoft ever does it correct and we should all sit in the corner flagellating ourselves. Yes, there are issues with Windows 10 Mobile but holy crap when compared the alternatives Microsoft does have a lot going for it and like any large organisation it sometimes takes a while for things to occur. I always remind people the gap between Intel releasing the P4 and them eventually swallowing their pride and returning to a sensible CPU design - 8 years of crappy P4 CPU's then eventually we got the Core 2 with everything looking up hill from there.

The stop and start didn't help; first it was Silverlight then it was WinRT and now it is UWP - if they put down a vision way back when Windows Phone 8 was discussed then I think a lot of the problems would have resolved themselves but alas developers were never given an insight into Microsoft's big grand plan and thus were turned off because of the lack of development details. The other is the lack of bringing feature parity - gapless playback for example has only just come to Windows 10 Mobile - something that has put me off from buying one because playing music is huge part of what I use my phone for and I know for many others out there it is quite a bit part of the smart phone experience. Microsoft cannot control what third parties do and don't do but it doesn't help when Microsoft isn't at least getting feature parity with iOS and Android out of the box.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I get what you're saying about the hamburger menu. It would be cool if you could set up the phone for left or right handed operation so it could be easier to use with one hand.

For me personally, the best solution would be a swipe gesture to bring up the hamburger menu.

drumsorbit

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

With WM10 (running 10581 on my L640) if you press the windows icon for a few seconds the window drops down to the lower half of the screen, so you can use one hand for hamburger menu access regardless of which side it's on. Hold the icon for a few seconds andthe screen drops so you have access, choose your action and then touch the top of the reduced screen and it goes full screen again.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Careful, if your critical of the site, you'll get your post removed...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For me personally, the best solution would be a swipe gesture to bring up the hamburger menu.

That's what I've said all along. The problem isn't the hamburger menu; the problem is WP's implementation of it. I never thought about how horrible it is on Android and iOS. I wondered what the big deal was until I started using it on WP. Wowsers! No wonder it's not liked!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Careful, if your critical of the site, you'll get your post removed...

He wasn't being critical of the site. He was criticizing the Doom and Gloom Society that doesn't heed warning labels. Oh and by the way, we don't remove critical posts. We remove posts that don't abide by the rules, but you already knew that since you read the forum rules as a condition of membership. Right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6