MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Somebody's just annoyed as me over this sluggish flashlight toggle! Even my homie noticed when we REALLY had to use it at night in the park... And then I get these questions again from fellow iPhone users: "How can you live with a constant work and progress on your phone? My iPhone JUST works!" Well.... what do we answer to these type of questions guys.....?

Apple has been known to release beta software as well. Like with Windows Phone, beta, pre-release software is not recommended for your "just works" users. This is recommended for those who like a challenge, need it for work (like developing an upcoming app), or enjoy troubleshooting and tinkering for the heck of it.

So if your friend gives you grief, dare him to install iOS 10's beta whenever it inevitably turns up next year. XD

In the meantime, if the flashlight is meaningful to you and you want it fixed, make sure to submit feedback as is expected of beta testing users.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple has been known to release beta software as well. Like with Windows Phone, beta, pre-release software is not recommended for your "just works" users. This is recommended for those who like a challenge, need it for work (like developing an upcoming app), or enjoy troubleshooting and tinkering for the heck of it.

So if your friend gives you grief, dare him to install iOS 10's beta whenever it inevitably turns up next year. XD

In the meantime, if the flashlight is meaningful to you and you want it fixed, make sure to submit feedback as is expected of beta testing users.

lets wait until we have the RTM and it gets released along with lumia 950's then we will check your post again and see how different what you call a "beta" is compared to what will be, officially, the commercial-final product by Microsoft, so you can compare with apple's way of doing beta and final iOS and see how great it relates to Microsoft

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You've never had webOS then. That community has kept the OS alive for years and continues to this day. Yes, there are broken APIs left and right but if you consider the number of apps and features that sub-4.0 Android devices are missing, it isn't so bad. Heck, Skype doesn't even work on Windows Phone 7 anymore.

Well as you said, the broken APIs are there, that means things aren't fixed, rather just kept alive, on life support.

Android's ROM flashing scene is sort of the same, all those nightly releases and build compiled by different groups - yeah the people spend lots of time tweaking things, but it's very rare that things are actually "fixed" for good. I'm not putting down the effort of these volunteers, just that saying because there is a "community" out there doesn't really mean much for most people who just wants a reliable working phone. I certainly don't miss the days of flashing an Android phone for "fixes".

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I am actually someone who bought my windows phone purely on the UI. I went to buy a Samsung galaxy and ended up with a Lumia 920. I had an open mind when I walked into the store but was aware of the app gap so thought android was the way for me, but I fell in love with the live tiles and pivot navigation. It flows so well and i could use my phone one handed.
I still love windows phone but using the hamburger still bugs me every day. Why do I have to keep reaching to the top left of my screen??? I wish they would find a solution for this. Even putting the hamburger in any other corner works better.

They could have gone with a solution like the Onedrive team provided after they want full android UI with the app - smaller pivots to navigate and a hamburger for less used menu items. Add in a swipe gesture to call up the menu and I think most would have little problem with it. But instead its hamburgers for all apart from when they remove them completely like in the photos app for maximum inconsistency.

The guy who implemented the compromise solution in the onedrive app is probably at the botton of the ocean now along with all the other good designers at Microsoft.....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They are very usable as daily drivers, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!

Maybe Apple and Google send the previews out at later stages in development, I don't know. I just know that they work a lot better than Microsoft's.

doghouseriley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They're pretty near perfect, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!

This.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Careful, if your critical of the site, you'll get your post removed...
I'm not being critical of the site. Just some of the posts. I thought it was clear that I was speaking about some of the participants of the Windows Insider program who I feel don't quite understand the concept.

And if either of these posts offend the powers that be, so be it. Remove away. I'm not worried.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Clearly some people have missed the point of the insider program and do NOT belong in the insider program. There are those who provide constructive feedback as well as download to see how it looks and provide suggestions and valuable feedback...then there are those whinypants, "gems of society" who have nothing in their life going for them but simply ist and complain and say how much better their crapple or goggle device is/was. Well stay there then and maybe...just maybe the inside program is not for you. Come back when it is RTM or have a end product. I think MSFT needs to start charging, a nominal fee for insiders like say $10 flat per device. This would eliminate a lot of the trash and bring in exclusively the people who understand what they are getting into. Right now, its just a wide open party for all the riff raff

ila_11

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640XL. Bought a few months back and I still have a 6+ months of warranty. Will the warranty be void if when I install insider preview of windows 10 mobile? And when will be the RTM ready for my 640XL in India? Thanks in advance 😊

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640XL. Bought a few months back and I still have a 6+ months of warranty. Will the warranty be void if when I install insider preview of windows 10 mobile? And when will be the RTM ready for my 640XL in India? Thanks in advance 
The warranty would be unaffected if you reflash with the recovery tool. If an insider build is installed, you may or may not have a problem if you need warranty service regardless of any written policy just because humans are involved and can get confused. So if it was me, I would always use the recovery tool to flash my phone before asking for warranty repairs if I had that option.

If you are asking if bricking the phone while using or installing an insider build would be covered by warranty, it would probably depend on if they could check and did check and found an insider build.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, have you ever done it? I use betas on iOS, Mac OS X, Android (official Nexus previews), Windows, and WP (W10M). With both Apple's and Google's betas, I forget I'm using a beta. They are very usable as daily drivers, with few bugs. Not so with Microsoft's beta offerings. There is a world of difference, believe me!

Maybe Apple and Google send the previews out at later stages in development, I don't know. I just know that they work a lot better than Microsoft's.

This is not the purpose of a beta.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I want W10m to succeed. I really do. More competition and options are always great. Unfortunately its not going to happen. W10m will flop and flop hard. So hard that MS will abandon making mobile OS entirely. The writing is on the wall. There is literally zero reason for an Android or iPhone user to invest into Windows phone. There is nothing to gain and a lot of features to lose.Windows mobile will remain a niche market for some time before disappearing into the void. I enjoyed my time using Lumia 520 but that's more because the phone was fantastic(because Nokia) rather than the OS.
Problem here is two fold. Problem one is Microsoft does not know how to make a good solid phone hardware wise like Nokia did. Problem no 2 is Microsoft has hardly put any effort into Windows phone since the last 5 years whether be it marketing/advertising or getting app developers to make apps for its OS.
W10m like WP8 might be a decent serviceable OS but just being decent is not enough to gain market share when you have to contend with giants like Google and Apple.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I am not so sure if it flop, only time will tell, but then it will not flop "hard" because the market share is still only 3%.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
He wasn't being critical of the site. He was criticizing the Doom and Gloom Society that doesn't heed warning labels. Oh and by the way, we don't remove critical posts. We remove posts that don't abide by the rules, but you already knew that since you read the forum rules as a condition of membership. Right?

I'll take your word for it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss