MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I can deal with a non-removable battery if it's sufficient for a a day's worth of hard use. But the lack of external storage is inexcusable. Unfortunately, Nokia isn't the only one who feels this way. Even the Note series is moving away from SD cards..
Sent from HP TouchPad on webOS

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
jeez, the vibe in this thread is making me reconsider spending $60 on a 640 to check out Windows 10.
Well, reconsider it by the time W10M is "official" on the 640 and you (still) got any interest / need for it.
But right now with the insider builds it is a waste of money. Also I do not think we will see any mobile OS after the W10M debacle from MSFT anymore. So be prepared to like what you get a the time you buy it.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well this thread is by now confirmed to be true I think, they haven't released anything so it means it is indeed not ready contrary to what they said earlier :p

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It would have been a big suprprise if MSFT release something substantial - if you judge by the quantity and quality of the mobile builds over the past months. And delay after delay up to the point where even the most loyal WP users got fed up.
But who knows what means "ready" for MSFT. I expect a polished build with at least the most serious bugs ironed out by the end Q1/2016 and the vague promise to "fix things later". 950/XL likely going to ship with a regular build; keep in mind if these phones really supposed to reach the customers by the end of the month they already have their software and currently being on the road.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
jeez, the vibe in this thread is making me reconsider spending $60 on a 640 to check out Windows 10.

You can get it a 640 for $30 on black friday if you're looking for more incentive... Seriously though, I purchased a 640 for the express reason to test out W10M and have basically retired my 920 since then.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
How often do the vast majority of smartphone users reset their phones? Never. I never did in 8 or 8.1; not until becoming a W10M insider. Upgrade and be done until the next major upgrade one or two years down the road. The quantity of installed apps and quality of wifi connection will have a large impact.

The resetting was the result of running alpha software that wasn't properly migrating stuff. Makes perfect sense. Latest build I updated from 8.1 smoothly, no resets and have been running it perfectly. In fact the main goal of the upgrade is to get it from 8.1 to the new version. This is what non insiders will experience. The latest rtm build I'm sure makes it even better. That's where all the focus should be. So if that doesn't make sense to you, you probably shouldn't be an insider.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
One hour forty-two minutes as pictured to update default apps on a reset 930 that screams well oiled machine. Do you really think the general public is going to go along with a "new OS we're working on it, just give us some time" line from MS? You want to talk "apples and oranges" fine 8.1 was a delicious juicy orange while 10 is a brown apple that's been siting out in the sun far to long.

[url]http://s4.postimg.org/44319ib15/wp_ss_20151031_0004.jpg[/url]

Problem was really the store app. But the issue is that it is part of the update, so you don't get the speed and scheduling updates till it updates. What I always did was pause all and do one at a time. It was super quick.

My guess is the RTM will come with the improved store app already packaged.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The resetting was the result of running alpha software that wasn't properly migrating stuff. Makes perfect sense. Latest build I updated from 8.1 smoothly, no resets and have been running it perfectly. In fact the main goal of the upgrade is to get it from 8.1 to the new version. This is what non insiders will experience. The latest rtm build I'm sure makes it even better. That's where all the focus should be. So if that doesn't make sense to you, you probably shouldn't be an insider.

I know why hard resets were required and expected them. They won't be necessary for the typical upgrade process. As an insider, an alpha tester, a beta tester of any product quirks and deficiencies are expected. In the case of W10 insider program this was all spelled out in the terms and conditions.

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I simply don't understand what the hell the Hamburger is doing. Sometimes on the upper right. Sometimes on the upper left. It just takes screen real estate and gives options for things that could - just as easily - be under the screen-space efficient ellipsis.

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
But who knows what means "ready" for MSFT. I expect a polished build with at least the most serious bugs ironed out by the end Q1/2016 and the vague promise to "fix things later". 950/XL likely going to ship with a regular build; keep in mind if these phones really supposed to reach the customers by the end of the month they already have their software and currently being on the road.

I'm believe there is going to be the now classical "Day 0 Update" to a newer build.

On the other hand, there is a lot of "Team Battle" around here. There are some with Build 10581 and are happy as hell about it, saying it's super smooth and all. And the other side of the battlefield, some with Build 10581 and are really really upset about it. That should say something, I mean, even if it is a "Beta", it's so close to launch day that it's incredible that those Build are workind so different from one device to another, even in the same device model; There are some with the infamouse Lumia 1020 with a magic build and amazing performance, and others with the same Lumia 1020 with a cursed build and poor-close to bad as anything bad you could think performance. That should not be happening right now. At least not so close to launch day.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I followed the IP fast ring on my 920 and I saw lots of different results depending on Choices I made. There were also issies With certain apps, like the cool Lock screen app I dont remember the name of. Also, following the update path cuold have some unfavourable results. And the just resetting the phone could have different effects on the same build than doing a full restore of WP8.1 and starting directly on the lates build. Also, choosing not to start from existing backup worked Wonders on the latest build I have on my test 920. Its super fluid, snappy and fast. And I have not updated in the last month.

Being part of the IP program is dealing With these issues and Reporting to MS, not making threads online about the problems you have. We can all do that when the "final" release is ready.

And, if you complain about lack of apps, do you think ranting online will make ppl buy Windows Phones? To bad if they deside not to because they read (bad things) about the OS that turns out not to be valid by the time the OS releases to the Public.

Also, not all Phones are getting it at the same time. It could be they are aware of the remaining issues on some of the models.

Also, Close to release does not translate to no updates to the final build.

Last edited by a moderator:

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
On the other hand, there is a lot of "Team Battle" around here.
Not really a battle, just an exchange of personal experiences.

There are some with Build 10581 and are happy as hell about it, saying it's super smooth and all.
I would say those people have a very very limited usage scenario. They not even (want to) acknowledge those kind of bugs really affects every device, like the edge-keyboard-bug. Lots of them also not allow themselves (or others) to criticise "their" phone/OS. I have no problem to admit if something i decided to go for was a wrong decision or not makes me as happy as it should be.

And the other side of the battlefield, some with Build 10581 and are really really upset about it.
That is true, especially regarding the slow progress of the builds compared to desktopversion.

That should say something, I mean, even if it is a "Beta", it's so close to launch day that it's incredible that those Build are workind so different from one device to another, even in the same device model;
As I outlined above it comes to the usage scenario - for sure you won't have trouble with a feature/app/function that you not use.

There are some with the infamouse Lumia 1020 with a magic build and amazing performance, and others with the same Lumia 1020 with a cursed build and poor-close to bad as anything bad you could think performance.
Many users have forced the insider builds on their daily driver and maybe did surrender to the situation while already forgotten how smooth and stable WP8.1 (despite the lack of features) really was if you compare it to the rough experience on W10M. I not talk about UI cosmetics only.

That should not be happening right now. At least not so close to launch day.
Well you describe the current situation very well so I am wondering how you can think of the launch day being so close? There is no official news about it and also W10M is far from that.

Another question is what MSFT calls "RTM" status. At leaset for me I expect W10M to be RTM when it AT LEAST is equal in terms of stability, runtime, perfomance and functionality to WP8.1. Everything beyond that is optional and I am happy about it but it is not acceptable that with W10M functionality gets crippled compared to WP8.1 And that is the current status unfortunately.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
seb_r I always acknowledge the bugs I encounter. In fact, I had so many issues with previous builds that i definitely brought up. Could it be that it's a matter of different phone models or different apps installed during upgrade process which might have caused issues in the registry or database, whatever they use.

On reddit most people report the latest build being awesome. So issues are not as common as you may think. If you experience issues it does not mean everyone else is.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Not really a battle, just an exchange of personal experiences.

I would say those people have a very very limited usage scenario. They not even (want to) acknowledge those kind of bugs really affects every device, like the edge-keyboard-bug. Lots of them also not allow themselves (or others) to criticise "their" phone/OS. I have no problem to admit if something i decided to go for was a wrong decision or not makes me as happy as it should be.

That is true, especially regarding the slow progress of the builds compared to desktopversion.

As I outlined above it comes to the usage scenario - for sure you won't have trouble with a feature/app/function that you not use.

Many users have forced the insider builds on their daily driver and maybe did surrender to the situation while already forgotten how smooth and stable WP8.1 (despite the lack of features) really was if you compare it to the rough experience on W10M. I not talk about UI cosmetics only.

Well you describe the current situation very well so I am wondering how you can think of the launch day being so close? There is no official news about it and also W10M is far from that.

Another question is what MSFT calls "RTM" status. At leaset for me I expect W10M to be RTM when it AT LEAST is equal in terms of stability, runtime, perfomance and functionality to WP8.1. Everything beyond that is optional and I am happy about it but it is not acceptable that with W10M functionality gets crippled compared to WP8.1 And that is the current status unfortunately.

You have 0 evidence to back up your statements. Please provide use cases where your experiences differ from mine and other people that feel the OS is ready to ship. To make a blanket statement that our level of usage is somehow lower than yours is insulting.

Are there a few lingering issues? Sure. Are any of them show stoppers? No.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I simply don't understand what the hell the Hamburger is doing. Sometimes on the upper right. Sometimes on the upper left. It just takes screen real estate and gives options for things that could - just as easily - be under the screen-space efficient ellipsis.

I don't think anyone does especially MS. WP already has a better alternative with the ellipsis menu/app bar menu and they decided to shove a hamburger menu in almost every app because of some poorly thought out idea of making iOS and Android users more comfortable and for lazy devs to more easily port their apps to the OS. Guess how well that's working out.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget long press Start to drop the screen down in order to reach the burger - which you didn't need using the old navigation because it was easily accessible.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have 581 in the Lumia 830. I don't use much of apps. So far the browsing is excellent and way much faster than 8.1 which was constantly freezing on me to a point I almost threw the phone out of the windows. The only problem I found was with the txt messages. When I click in one name the k-board comes up and hide the message behind it. So I have to press the arrow back to hide the kb to see that message. Once that is done then all the message goes above the kb.
Also sometimes when I reply here the kb doesn't comes up. No big deal.
So I'd say it is real closed to be rtm

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Anybody has a problem with the mail app(latest version with linked inbox), somehow it doesn't auto-complete the email address when creating a new mail, this is basic feature but really important.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)