MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Anybody has a problem with the mail app(latest version with linked inbox), somehow it doesn't auto-complete the email address when creating a new mail, this is basic feature but really important.
Auto completes for me.

You know what that means. W10m is still inconsistent for different users. We call that BS :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Anybody has a problem with the mail app(latest version with linked inbox), somehow it doesn't auto-complete the email address when creating a new mail, this is basic feature but really important.

Yes, it somehow doesn't recognize many email addresses that I know are in the address book. I wonder if my search index is damaged, because Cortana also doesn't recognize some artists on my phone.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens when they fire all the testing teams , remember the restructure while back , they fired around 1000 employees who were in testing teams.

Guess what happened after that , instead of paying them 1000 X lets say 50 K a year. An insider program , its not the feedback they looking for instead of get proper testing team find bugs / tests done they rely on insiders to find bugs and report

so obviously its going to be not the same quality as win 8.1 or other OS back in days.

thats my theory on insider program and the current state of WM 10.

antnauman

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Tell me, how would you used to access top left tile in the start screen? Or you never placed anything there?

There's always something on the top of the screen, and also onto the left. And when there's a hamburger menu, you suddenly can't reach that part of the screen?

congthanhgiong

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Auto completes for me.

You know what that means. W10m is still inconsistent for different users. We call that BS :)

Even so, MS just have no other choice but to release it ASAP so that official apps can start rolling out. Banks, games, social apps like facebook or financial Mint are waiting for the last build before they roll up their sleeves to port the so-called official apps with universal layout.

From my own experience with lumia 1020, 1320, it's a lot slower on 1020 (hard reset already), so I guess Win 10 does need more cpu power to work seamlessly. Or maybe it's because my 1020 almost uses up its local space (25/32 gb), not too sure about it.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I would say those people have a very very limited usage scenario.
To make a blanket statement that our level of usage is somehow lower than yours is insulting.

@elindalyne, I fully agree with you, that is kind of insulting....

I used the latest build up until yesterday on my 925, and used it as my daily driver to replace my 930 which is on 8.1, but according to seb_r, I am one of those people with very limited usage, calling every day, using FB messenger every day, whatsapp, even streaming music from Onedrive with Groove.

I just went back to my 930 on 8.1, not because W10 is bad, but just because I can.

charish putta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I remember when I first joined Windows Central (it was windows phone central then), there was a thread or an article asking what made us join this platform in the first place. And I remember answering it with my love for Modern Design 1.0 and design aesthetics of it. I really like the minimal design, lack of chrome and iconography. I like the large segoe font pivot headers. Unfortunately with Windows 10 mobile, all that I loved about the design of Windows Phone is gone. And don't get me wrong, I know that design isn't everything, I know that some compromises had to be made for the idea of Universal Apps to work. I also know that I enjoy using the new office mobile apps and Microsoft Edge, and when I'm working I don't even notice the UI. It might not even exist then. But then I come back to my primary phone on Windows Phone 8.1 and I realize the worth of it, I realize how beautiful it looks, and I realize it will be gone with the next update. Replaced by shades of dark and light grey in headers that don't even extend to the status bar, uppercase header font that just misses out on the beauty of Segoe, zebra strips songs and downloads list, ellipses bar and menu having different shades and proportions, borders around context menus and notification flysouts, and just the shades of dark and light grey in them instead of pure dark and light theme just make me go nuts. Then there is lack of alternative pivot navigation to hamburger items. They have stripped the file explorer of showing storage taken and remaining storage. Sense apps haven't been improved. Live tile functionality hasn't been enhanced. Then there is people tile and app with ridiculous circular avatars and full accent colour for contact badge and accented header and ellipses in hub page with theme background in cards and status bar. All these things give me OCD. I get the importance of hamburger menus and icons in hamburger items, they make sense in desktop and large tablets held and/or used in landscape orientation, even in landscape orientation on phones. But the changes in headers, context menus, fifty shades of grey, zebra strips, lack of pivot navigation and borders beat me. I just wish Microsoft removes these shades of grey in headers and context menus and keep to light or dark themes, do away with uppercase headers, borders around context menus and notification flyouts, circular avatars in people app and live tile, zebra strips for vertical lists and icons and/or tabs in headers. I don't have enough hope though since Microsoft has essentially showed a middle finger to any feedback generated regarding UI. Bye bye modern design 1.0. You will be missed.

MODERN DESIGN 1.0 Is the only reason i entered into WP ecosystem. I had a droid back in 2010's. When i saw images of Lumia 800 it was like love at first sight. I never cared about its drawbacks it was like a cute puppy, u just can't hate it. Few things were off in UI like it never shows *CALL DURATION*, couldn't connect to devices directly (every thing needed ZUNE), Fewer apps, and some minor things. I thought things will eventually get fixed. Everyone who used my phone liked it just because of its simple and beautiful UI. Today when i look at my Lumia 800 alongside my 1020 I think "All they should have done was to fix some minor things and bring more apps", both of which they did not do till today. Something basic as call duration doesn't exist even after 5 years, the only thing that they did good with W10M is start screen rest is just Meh!

Many argue iOS just works ,but that's what people need. Not every one uses office apps and do all their work using their mobile phone with continuum doc. MSFT says it needs to target the next million (people of developing countries according to them). MSFT views everything in terms of productivity and enterprise forgetting consumer market. Average consumer needs apps and games not office with continuum. Is buying another secondary device is only solution? NO, when you are targeting developing countries (NEXT MILLION) you should know that having two devices is costly affair . So people buy one device that has every thing they need.

Some people may say if I hate so many things about a WP device, just go and buy other device which has what I want (which I'm going to do). But the point is WP has only 3% of mobile business, most of which is made up of fanboys like me. If many people like me moved away what are the chances of Windows Phone's survival, Where is the next MILLION when its own loyal fans are not satisfied.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. NO HATE :straight:

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The latest build of W10M preview is not ready yet. Yes, the performance is ok but it's not enough. It's still feel unfinished and very inconsistent, Groove music is still very buggy (quick access lags; when you select a song sometimes it won't move to the next; if you pause for a long time and then press play, Groove will start playing the previous music selection instead of playing the actual selection; sometimes it's just unresponsive and needs a reboot), photos apps still crash at times, emails are not working properly (most of the time my hotmail emails are not even synched), the start screen sometimes goes blank, MSN weather live tiles still displays blurred icons, some app icons in the app list are blank, the app store tile never displays updates notifications even if notifications are turned on (and not just the store BTW), battery is still draining like crazy, camera apps have huge slowdowns at times and get unresponsive, when using Rich capture it sometimes takes ages to render, hamburger menus are still completely inconsistent across the board, UI is still very confusing (contextual menu with 3 dots gives different info than long press or hamburger menu or some info are burried deep down...) and so on...

The goal of MS is to imitate what Apple did: a few devices to have a consistent experience on every device and keep control over these. Right now, the insider program behaves completely differently even on a low amount of lumia phones and it supposed to be released "soon". It's even inconsistent between phones of the same category. Some 930 are working okay, mine is quite buggy but usable while it's a disaster for others. If the phones were the exact same, the experience, by now, should be unified and the number of issues should be narrowed down and consistent for easy fixes. Which it clearly isn't. Everyone is reporting different issues everywhere so, there's either an issue with the hardware or the software. But if a company as huge as MS can't handle a limited amount of devices, it is concerning.

Besides, even if some issues are maybe not a deal breaker, at least for some, having a web browser that's constantly slow or buggy or a music player that's not on par with the competition or inconsistent UI (which is how we actually interact with the phone) is a deal breaker, at least for me. And we shouldn't accept the fact that it's "usable even if buggy" because it's MS. When a company releases and unfinished game/product/service, everyone complains. If MS releases an incomplete OS, we should be against it. Being a ****** does not mean you should be treated like crap and get subpar services or accept things for whatever reasons. And shipping a new hardware running an unfinished OS is a joke. MS is not firefox or Oneplus...

shahidkazi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Well as far as i know it is going to be a phased release. The next build is going to be final release only for select models and subsequent models will include final releases for other models. For e.g. Lumia 1320 (which i own) is expected to get the final version in February not November. W10M for 1320 still has some work to be done for stability and crashes and performance. It freezes a few times a day needs hard boots and also apps crash regularly and ofcourse battery life has drastically gone down (by 40%).

The November release is planned only for 950 / 950 XL and 930 as far as i know.

skshandilya

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree that win10 mobile is still not ready and MIGHT not be ready in build 10586, Important stuff like storage, store, are still broken. This stuff should be considered core and the core should be stable before office etc are stable. I think MS is not doing this in the correct order. I still have junk chars appearing in the storage app, unable to choose SD card or phone, many apps don't update properly and behaviour is different on 930, 830 and 730, there are still a bunch of bugs that need to be ironed out.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Well as far as i know it is going to be a phased release. The next build is going to be final release only for select models and subsequent models will include final releases for other models. For e.g. Lumia 1320 (which i own) is expected to get the final version in February not November. W10M for 1320 still has some work to be done for stability and crashes and performance. It freezes a few times a day needs hard boots and also apps crash regularly and ofcourse battery life has drastically gone down (by 40%).

The November release is planned only for 950 / 950 XL and 930 as far as i know.

So what about the 640, 640 xl and the other listed for release, when will their update be offered?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe the OS is ready for the newer phones since they must have been easier for Microsoft to optimise for and the older ones (S4 chips) will need more time). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Soon. There is no firm date(s). All we know is that it should begin rolling out to 640s and 640 XLs by the end of the year.

recently got mine and the amount of bugs and issue present I fear even accepting the rtm, would rather watch and see how thing unfold. Lost one phone to insider and I learned a lot, so I wont take my chances again.

gabriel_marcio

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
IMHO when x86 became a thing in smartphones MS will ditch W10M just like they did with Windows RT. It'll be much easier for them to work with only one OS for all devices. W10M/Lumia 950/XL is just a bridge until they kill Windows Phone for good... I used to be a Lumia user since the 800 series when they kill WP7. I had a 920 and a 1520 after that, but for me is just a waste of time to continue to believe in MS. I bought a Nexus 6 a few months ago and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
IMHO when x86 became a thing in smartphones MS will ditch W10M just like they did with Windows RT.
I think its the exact opposite. MS wants to kill off desktop apps because of various things, security being one of the biggest. But they can't. RT was and is the future although it might take a long time. The name RT is dead because of MS's fumblings but the concept isn't. That doesn't mean you can't have modern apps that run on x86. But I won't carry a phone that runs desktop apps. I have to use many of them on my PCs but would rather not.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
recently got mine and the amount of bugs and issue present I fear even accepting the rtm, would rather watch and see how thing unfold. Lost one phone to insider and I learned a lot, so I wont take my chances again.
After a hard reset and starting from fresh, the phone works fine but, this is very tedious since not all your apps and games will get their data back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720