MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I said it in another thread but I'll say it again.

Hamburger - A hamburger menu denotes navigation. If the screen you are on is going to change it should be a hamburger.
Pivots - These can only be used if the all the pivot headings can be seen at all times.
Ellipses - This literally means "More". If you've got a list and there are more options, use the ellipses.

You can repeat it all you want but it's still redundant to have a hamburger/split view menu if you already have an ellipsis/app bar menu. It was dumb when they added it to the OneDrive app and it's dumb in W10M. If you need more options than the app bar menu allows it can be put in a separate settings page like it has been for years on WP. No need for an ugly menu icon in the worst possible place.

B7-EK6RCcAAVr_5.jpg

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
You can repeat it all you want but it's still redundant to have a hamburger/split view menu if you already have an ellipsis/app bar menu. It was dumb when they added it to the OneDrive app and it's dumb in W10M. If you need more options than the app bar menu allows it can be put in a separate settings page like it has been for years on WP. No need for an ugly menu icon in the worst possible place.

You may hate it, but I'm just pointing out design standards.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You mean all the badly designed mobile apps and websites which are the bottom of the barrel in user friendliness. Yeah, not exactly the kind of standard you want to be emulated in a OS.

"Windows 10 Mobile, because we gave up"

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree about the Hamburger menu. Just because everyone has it, it has not to be the mantra.
IF there are mostly settings behind this menu, you won't use it often. So better bury it under the ellipsis menu as in WP7 / WP8. Or make it say the icon at the left at the bottom. But not on top on mobile devices.
This is really not clever.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to defend the hamburger but seriously, what else is Microsoft supposed to do when the app will have too many pivots and options in the ellipsis menu?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it isn't w10m that isn't ready, our phones don't even have the new firmware for it. From the hands on, the 950 and 950xl perform without hiccups but then again, it could be because of their specs.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You mean all the badly designed mobile apps and websites which are the bottom of the barrel in user friendliness. Yeah, not exactly the kind of standard you want to be emulated in a OS.

"Windows 10 Mobile, because we gave up"

And WP7/8 won over so many market share and developer support with this superior design layout - oh wait but it didn't.

Windows 10 Mobile's change in design elements is MS facing reality that sticking with their design elements didn't work in winning them anything except a tiny bit of marketshare, it's sad but that's the market reality. IT history is filled with superior products losing to inferior products. Whinging about how MS "gave up" and adapting to the market demand in order to survive and holding MS against it is just petty and childish.

Saldatoccio

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I think that I'll stick with Windows Phone 8.1 for a while:

1) W10M user experience is not smooth as it should be (too many glitches and inconsistencies for my tastes...)
2) Features have been removed and that's not acceptable
3) W10M currently looks like beta-quality
4) I don't see any major improvements/advantages compared to WP8.1 that justifies to accept to use a beta on my daily driver

And WP7/8 won over so many market share and developer support with this superior design layout - oh wait but it didn't.

Windows 10 Mobile's change in design elements is MS facing reality that sticking with their design elements didn't work in winning them anything except a tiny bit of marketshare, it's sad but that's the market reality. IT history is filled with superior products losing to inferior products. Whinging about how MS "gave up" and adapting to the market demand in order to survive and holding MS against it is just petty and childish.

So now that the UI/UX is inconsistent users will flock to WP... Who did not buy a WP in the past won't do it now because of those lame changes, but at the same time those changes will affect users used to a good&consistent UI/UX.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

If you think that the UI is to blame for the failure of WP then I don't know what to tell you other than how asinine and ignorant that is of the real problem. It's also flat out stupid to think that changing the UI will do anything other than ticking off a lot of people that came to the platform in the first place. People that liked the UI.

If you're going to accuse people of "whinging" at least spell it right. What a whinger.

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yet another post with the same ****** problems:

1. It doesn't look like my android or iphone.
2. It doesn't work like my android or iphone.

DUH

God help us if android is the only choice, its a security nightmare.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey Cortana - That really sucks, but this issue isn't as widespread as you might think. Definitely not a top voted bug in the feedback app. Besides, there's evidence it's working for other 1520 users. The issue was also specifically mentioned as fixed in the latest build.
Widespread or not, it means WM10 is not ready and even more so when they THINK they fixed it but didn't. Of course its not a top voted bug; its only available on what, 3% of all Windows Phones? If call waiting works, maybe we could link up Insiders who's Hey Cortana works with those that don't and keep an open call 24x7 between them on speaker, Then the bug victims can just ask the other Insider to use THEIR Hey Cortana on the victim's behalf. Of course the plan falls apart if there are more phones Hey Cortana doesn't work on than ones that do... or if users of phones that don't have Hey Cortana try to take advantage of this. So we'll need a way for working Hey Cortana Insiders to vet requests from others. It might work.

vtm

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The thing is beyond me is that Microsoft writes bad software consistently. How do you develop OS that behaves different on identical devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The thing is beyond me is that Microsoft writes bad software consistently. How do you develop OS that behaves different on identical devices.

well, in all honesty, coding can often be a bit of a crapshoot. And despite identical devices (disregarding defective ones and whatnot for now) people have it set up in various ways.

If I had to generalize I'd say MS may not create the best product, but its best at talking to other products.

nekkedrunner

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Free was just a market strategy. Give it free and people run and jump hurdles to get it.
Doing so gets it out there faster and in use.
Fix things as they become apparent. (mass Beta users)
Once established,
1) Gather vast information on users.
2) Make what used to be part of the O.S. a purchase option.
3) Force updates/addons so what is on users computers, isn't their choice.
etc etc....
now backtrack in updates so older O.S.'s gather users use as well.

That is the reason it is FREE.

Federico Turban

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
This thread reminds me about when Apple made that radical UI redesign in iOS 7. A lot of users hated the design, pretty bad (some users with more age even say that their iPhones looked like a child color book), some others hated the performance on the iPhone 4. Now, 2 years later, and iOS 9 put it together the general idea of the new UI, with a lot of refinements and looks pretty good at my eyes (also, the UX is smooth as hell), OSX also adopt the iOS style in almost every corner of the UI and looks really nice. This happens, everywhere, anytime, when you are happy with the UI that you have on your device and then, in the newer versi?n of the OS, is radically changed and everything you use to know has a new face and you need to relearn how to use it, you like it or not.

The UI of Windows 10 Mobile has a lot of potential, I really like what they are doing in matching a lot of UI elements between Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, but MS is still doing refinements on Windows 10 and the general UI, so Windows 10 Mobile still needs some time to get a more mature UI (just like the WP7>WP8>WP8.1, the same UI design, style, lenguage, etc.). Yeah, it's still a mess with a lot of mixed elements from WP8.1 and W10 and not a congruent UI in between in-house apps (Groove, Maps, Weather, etc., they share the same "idea" for what it should be, but those ideas are not 100% equally implemented, and I'm talking about the infamous Whopper Menu, the constant updates are bringing some nice changes to the apps and making them more alike in UI, but they aren't still right there).

Windows 10 general UI is great, it's still a bit green, but has come a long road from the first time we saw it and the way it's going looks nice, and I say the same to Windows 10 Mobile. At least these two are much more alike in general terms an menues and configurations screens and Start Screen/Menu that Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phone 8/8.1, so, I give them the chance, MS can make it work really nice.

Still, my mayor concern is the performance. The ones with Windows 10 Mobile Builds on their phones, it would be nice to post their device, the Build number and their general experience with it, the specifically see what devices in what circumstances they work, and where it doesn't.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
well, in all honesty, coding can often be a bit of a crapshoot. And despite identical devices (disregarding defective ones and whatnot for now) people have it set up in various ways.
We not talk about an app-developer / one-man-company getting some code to run properly. MSFT is (one of the) biggest company in term of software and the development and actively promoting W10M to the public for many months already. They were able to get W10 on desktops running pretty well which includes a much wider variety of hardware to support than a few Lumias and far more complexity in possible usage scenarios (and therefore possible bugs) than the few settings that W10M allows the user to tweak.
They clearly drive with handbrake on in terms of W10M when you compare it to the insider program for desktop, how serious they took it and how well-organized it was and still is!
Disregarding when the final release will be and in how the "final" RTM OS will perform, one thing after this debacle is already crystal clear: after W10M there will be an end of the WM/WP story. Maybe a W10.1M "feature" update but nothing substantial. So who is buying a 950 / 950XL now should be aware of it and that you will likely stick with what you get now in terms of software. Don't rely on promises and expectations. I can only repeat once more: MSFT did never hesitate to quickly drop support for products that were not that successfull.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077