MS says W10M is ready, I call that BS

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you and I miss it dearly as well! Ms probably thought it's ok to go away from it to make it easier to design the apps and since they added the functionality to tap and hold the windows key to minimize the whole screen to make it reachable with your thumb.

It's really not bad and would take a little time to get used to. Either way, Winmo is better user friendlier than other OS's. My mom inherited my L920 and earlier this year, I wanted to switch her to iPhone, thinking it would be easier for her to use. Well after 2 week trial, she asked for 920 back :)), I was amazed.

I had a similar experience with my mom recently. Although mine didn't end well. She inherited my L1320 after I upgraded to the L1520. Within 1 month she found a way to grenade the motherboard. Needless to say, I was also amazed...but for the wrong reason.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
There are still work more to be done. The app store is still crashing randomly when updating apps. Also, there are tons of app - including system apps, are unable to update with an error reported. Also, closing opened tabs on Edge is a pain. The 'x' button is simply too tiny to touch! Why can't MS implement swipe to close gestures? Even swiping down to close apps is difficult on the app switcher - I need to pull the apps down way past the half of the screen in order to close them. Some things are just too clunky to use.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I think half the people here saying W10M is half baked are iOS and Android users with an agenda that've come to bash on the OS in a pathetic attempt to get the remaining fanboys to jump ship. I find it cute that they list a bunch of WP models they probably had to look up in GSM Arena. Most of their issues with the OS can easily be explained by common sense on their end. For myself, this OS - even in its current beta stage - is a massive experience improvement over WP8.1. But then, I am have a 1520 - a flagship - so I must be one of those WP users heavily invested in the platform.

Towards the end of WP8.1 with Update 3 that OS was getting to be slow and cumbersome - and that's on a Lumia 1520. The latest build (10586.11) on the same phone has been flawless. On top of that W10M gives us new features never before available in WP. Now we did lose some of the charming quirks and eccentricities of the previous versions and brought WP more in line with iOS and Android but if that means we get a more mature OS, I'm all for that.

I also have no idea what people are talking about when they say W10M is amateurish and not mature/polished enough in comparison to Android and iOS on the usability/features front. I agree there is an app gap and I'd like to see a flagship WP made of Vapourmag but what else do people want with the core OS? Squircle shaped apps arranged in a grid? Lame frosted glass effect? A fingerprint reader? Cool beans. Get an iPhone.

I'm sure there are some trolls here, but most of the naysayers are people who have been with Windows Mobile for a while. I also believe most of the diehards here are new to the OS. I too own a 1520 and no build including this latest build runs as smooth as WP8.1. The crashes and random reboots alone make the OS feel halfbaked. Can't we all agree that the OS isn't finished, which wouldn't be a problem if it were still in beta. The best part of the W10M are some of the animations. I hate that you can't turn some of them off, as it would greatly help every phone that isn't a 930/Icon/1520/950 (XL). Is Cortana still considered Beta?

nekkedrunner

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
OneDrive? People are actually using it?
I am amazed at the trust anyone would have putting their information on a computer outside their own control.
What is personal on my phone. laptop, tablet, computer etc etc. I would rather not have anywhere. Whether
it be pics, docs etc etc

People can be so gullible.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
W10M on the 950XL is smooth as butter. If you're enrolled in the insider program you have a bit of over head, plus I'd imagine by the time the rest of the phones get W10M there will be further optimizations.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I think half the people here saying W10M is half baked are iOS and Android users with an agenda that've come to bash on the OS in a pathetic attempt to get the remaining fanboys to jump ship. I find it cute that they list a bunch of WP models they probably had to look up in GSM Arena. Most of their issues with the OS can easily be explained by common sense on their end. For myself, this OS - even in its current beta stage - is a massive experience improvement over WP8.1. But then, I am have a 1520 - a flagship - so I must be one of those WP users heavily invested in the platform.

I've got a 920 and 930, and I used to have a HTC Titan X310e (I believe it was originally codenamed the HTC Eternity). Three flagship phones at the time and there are photos on my instagram of those phones next to my laptop etc. I'm also getting a Lumia 950 dual SIM. But at the same time these issues concern me. At the end of the day do you really feel the average user is going to go to the lengths we will to fix the issue? No, they'll just take it back to the store, get something else, and advise everybody they know to avoid Windows like the bubonic plague supercharged with nuclear war.

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I installed Windows 10 Mobile 10586.11 on my Lumia 1020 and it is horribly buggy. My dad installed Windows 10 Mobile 10586.11 on his 830 and I was amazed because it runs amazing well on it. I would say Windows 10 Mobile is definitely ready for Lumia x3x devices but not ready for Lumia x2x devices (except maybe the 1520 because it is a powerhouse).

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
There are still work more to be done. The app store is still crashing randomly when updating apps. Also, there are tons of app - including system apps, are unable to update with an error reported. Also, closing opened tabs on Edge is a pain. The 'x' button is simply too tiny to touch! Why can't MS implement swipe to close gestures? Even swiping down to close apps is difficult on the app switcher - I need to pull the apps down way past the half of the screen in order to close them. Some things are just too clunky to use.

Fair points all. For my part, I suppose I just got used to them and the extra effort became muscle memory but I can imagine an Android or iOS user testing a WP out of curiosity and coming away disappointed.

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
After using W10 on my Lumia 925 for the last month, I've reverted back to 8.1 because my phone became stuck in an infinite loop of rebooting when I tried to update. And, while there are definitely some aspects I'm missing from 10, I'm amazed at how much speedier everything feels. 10 had become very slow on my phone, and typing was especially painful at times. What happened to the speed and precision of Word Flow? There is no way you'd be setting any records with it now, there was a good half a second to a second delay whenever I tried to swipe a word, with the longer delay happening for words greater than about 7 characters in length. Not too mention how much more prone it seemed to be at typos. Will probably stay on 8.1 until 10 is more officially released, although whether it'll come to my phone right away is another question.

So I'm hoping they can polish it up a lot more, because I know it's still in testing, but it was honestly a little embarrassing looking at the difference in speed between my girlfriend's iPhone and my 925, both being about the same age and both running the latest of their respective OSes.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. But I think the decision to buy or not is easy for anyone who tolerates the latest Insider build on their daily driver. If you use it on your DD, why not buy the 950 now and enjoy the hardware advances while we wait. I know it rewards bad behavior on MS' part, but kids will be kids. As long as they share their drugs they can clean up their rooms later.

Yes I'm kidding.
Wait...wait always wait... why spending so much money on a device that runs an extremely buggy OS? with MS is always wait...

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After using W10 on my Lumia 925 for the last month, I've reverted back to 8.1 because my phone became stuck in an infinite loop of rebooting when I tried to update

That was a known issue - when your phone starts the infinite loop - hold down the Volume Down button until ! shows up on the screen (it'll happen after it reboots). Then let go of it. Then press Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down and your phone will reset and re-install Windows 10 Mobile from scratch (a hard reset). That typically cures the reboot loop problem.

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
That was a known issue - when your phone starts the infinite loop - hold down the Volume Down button until ! shows up on the screen (it'll happen after it reboots). Then let go of it. Then press Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down and your phone will reset and re-install Windows 10 Mobile from scratch (a hard reset). That typically cures the reboot loop problem.

I'll keep that in mind if it happens again, thanks!

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
You are too old mate for this technology. It is supposed to make your life easier not paranoid. Maybe you are sitting all day in your boat and you don't care but some of the people out there do a lot of stuff and need a lot of space which can only be achieved with cloud.

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
OneDrive? People are actually using it?
I am amazed at the trust anyone would have putting their information on a computer outside their own control.
What is personal on my phone. laptop, tablet, computer etc etc. I would rather not have anywhere. Whether
it be pics, docs etc etc

People can be so gullible.

Make one of those hats for me, ok?
I like my tinfoil swirled around in the shape of a Santa hat, with a round-ish disk on the top. Can you do that for me? Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05