Anybody will to switch Carriers just for W10M?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You saw the title. I'm THINKING about switching from TMO to ATT just for the a 950 or 950XL. TMO won't carry it and I'm not willing to pay for it out of pocket. I may just decide to hold on to my 1520 at the end of the day. Who knows. Anybody else thinking about taking the carrier switch plunge?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
somebody should open a new business to help our American friends with this situation, apparently they don't know when they get a contract phone they are taking a bank loan with a middleman(carrier) and ends up ripped off astronomically in any imaginable way

why not make some specialized service so people can get a 2 year loan to buy that phone they want without getting enslaved, or just far easier, go to the actual bank and get the loan, its even easier than that, you can pay with a credit card and tell them you want that purchase to be paid in a span of 18 months for example, which lots of people do when they buy a tv or refrigerator

and to answer the question; oh yes absolutely, I would "switch carriers" for a 2 cents discount, just like I would switch taxi services if I don't get what I want

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't have that problem in the caribbean so really can't give you an honest answer...

i can just buy what ever phone I want and use it where I want (only two carriers locally.. jajaja)

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I am leaving Vz to go to either GSM carrier, likely AT&T but it's not only for the phone. I could wait if I had to.. I have been so disgusted how Vz has actively tried to talk me out of Windows phone. I have watched this in store with others and have anecdote from a good friend where they came close to not letting her but hers continually putting am iPhone in her hands. When I think of that, I just want to start giving someone else our business. I say that as someone that has spent a good part of the last eight years loathing AT&T. I haven't completely decided AT&T over TMo but I have decided that my next personal phone will not be on Vz's network.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely not going to switch. I'm already on AT&T. ;)

As far as the "contract" bit goes, AT&T is working on doing away with contracts completely, and has already done so in a number of regions in the US. Current contracts will be completed, but within 6 months to a year, they will no longer offer them at all. They are going to the "Next" payment plan, which is kind of like a contract, but you only pay the price of the phone out instead of continuing to pay a higher price and a lot more money that doesn't go toward the phone. It's like "no interest financing" so actually better than using a credit card. I think carriers are starting to switch to this because people are wising up about the contracts.

I still pay out of pocket for my phones to stay off contract, but if I had to finance one, doing it through Next is not a bad idea. I just don't like the idea of being in debt or owing money. I've been putting aside a set amount each month for what I want, and when I have saved up enough, I allow myself to purchase it if I still want it by then. Yes, technically I have the money to buy up front, but I'm cheap and tend to hang onto my money like Scrooge McDuck.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I am leaving Vz to go to either GSM carrier, likely AT&T but it's not only for the phone. I could wait if I had to.. I have been so disgusted how Vz has actively tried to talk me out of Windows phone. I have watched this in store with others and have anecdote from a good friend where they came close to not letting her but hers continually putting am iPhone in her hands. When I think of that, I just want to start giving someone else our business. I say that as someone that has spent a good part of the last eight years loathing AT&T. I haven't completely decided AT&T over TMo but I have decided that my next personal phone will not be on Vz's network.

Oh... Vz is terrible. I love my TMO actually... Though at times I wish the signal was better. I'll probably keep my lovely 1520 a little longer.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
One day the US will catch up with the rest of us here in the civilized world.

Having traveled to Asia, I completely agree. The phones and the carriers should be totally separate. In Malaysia they have malls dedicated to cell phones - vendor after vendor selling cell phones, dozens and dozens of types to fit anyone's needs. So you buy the phone you want, then you take it to a carrier and let them compete for your business. Every phone works with every carrier. Their plans start at $20 US. They laugh when I tell them my Verizon bill was about $80/mo.

Example: Two top carriers in Malaysia (Maxis and Digi) - their basic plan (unlimited talk/text and 1 or 2GB of data) is $23/mo USD. $23!!! Their higher tiers with more data are around $34 USD. Maxis' best plan with 8GB of data is $43/mo USD. US carriers are gouging us.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Having traveled to Asia, I completely agree. The phones and the carriers should be totally separate. In Malaysia they have malls dedicated to cell phones - vendor after vendor selling cell phones, dozens and dozens of types to fit anyone's needs. So you buy the phone you want, then you take it to a carrier and let them compete for your business. Every phone works with every carrier. Their plans start at $20 US. They laugh when I tell them my Verizon bill was about $80/mo.

Example: Two top carriers in Malaysia (Maxis and Digi) - their basic plan (unlimited talk/text and 1 or 2GB of data) is $23/mo USD. $23!!! Their higher tiers with more data are around $34 USD. Maxis' best plan with 8GB of data is $43/mo USD. US carriers are gouging us.
I find it strange that we in the US pay a lot more for cell phone service, but almost everything else in the US is much cheaper than other first world countries. We pay 1/3 as much for gasoline. The electronic devices themselves are usually quite a bit cheaper too. Clothing, food, housing, you name it; it costs more outside the US.

Why are these things so low cost in the US? What kind of economy system does the rest of the first world have? Why is the industry allowed to take advantage of the public on goods and services with such predatory pricing?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I find it strange that we in the US pay a lot more for cell phone service, but almost everything else in the US is much cheaper than other first world countries. We pay 1/3 as much for gasoline. The electronic devices themselves are usually quite a bit cheaper too. Clothing, food, housing, you name it; it costs more outside the US.

Why are these things so low cost in the US? What kind of economy system does the rest of the first world have? Why is the industry allowed to take advantage of the public on goods and services with such predatory pricing?

I think it has to do with the model that was originally created, and the monopoly they're allowed to have in our country. We the public own the airwaves. We allow these companies to use the airwaves, however the FCC has turned it into a money making venture by auctioning off spectrum. Our free market means that the carriers with more money can buy more spectrum, meaning they have more coverage and therefore can charge whatever they want. Verizon is notorious for this - they have the best network and they know it. Because of that they can strong-arm equipment makers. "What to be on our network? Pay us and allow us to control your device." When someone says "No", they pretty much tell them to get lost. Look at the 950 and 950XL. Verizon is actively banning the devices on their network because Microsoft won't pay them or allow them to control the updates. At some point Congress may get involved, or antitrust investigations may occur. Especially if the carriers shrink down - like AT&T buying Sprint or T-Mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
At some point Congress may get involved, or antitrust investigations may occur. Especially if the carriers shrink down - like AT&T buying Sprint or T-Mobile.

Unfortunately unlikely. Verizon and AT&T are amongst the most important contributors and lobbyists on capitol hill. Congress would be stupid to represent the interests of the people when they can instead choose to represent the interests of Verizon and AT&T.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000079

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately unlikely. Verizon and AT&T are amongst the most important contributors and lobbyists on capitol hill. Congress would be stupid to represent the interests of the people when they can instead choose to represent the interests of Verizon and AT&T.

I'm detecting sarcasm. :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I wasn't aware anyone could keep their sarcasm detector perfectly calibrated around here. Well done!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how sarcastic it is. A lot of times representing the people's interests only pays off if they are already angry and frustrated. I don't think U.S. society is anywhere close to that point yet when it comes to carriers.

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently on sprint with a year left on my contracts. Since they don't seem to care about windows phones, I'm thinking about switching carriers. When I get my tax return I'm considering ordering a 950xl and using it on straight talk. I've got 5 lines with sprint and 2 of my contracts run out around the first of the year.
In fact I've purchased a used HTC 8xt as my first windows trial phone to use until then. That way I can get a good feel of the OS and make a better informed decision at that time.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is notorious for this - they have the best network and they know it. Because of that they can strong-arm equipment makers. "What to be on our network? Pay us and allow us to control your device." When someone says "No", they pretty much tell them to get lost. Look at the 950 and 950XL. Verizon is actively banning the devices on their network because Microsoft won't pay them or allow them to control the updates. .

Yes, but that didn't work with Apple because even Verizon has to adapt to what the market wants. Verizon originally said no to Apple's terms, and then watched as customers flocked to AT&T to buy the original iPhone. The market forced Verizon to take the iPhone on Apple's terms. If customers were flocking to Windows mobile, Verizon would adapt again. But that ain't happening.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes definitely switch carriers...switch to Cricket Wireless and save the extra money to buy the phone unlocked (no AT&T waiting period for updates)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb