Best thing since WP7 - Live Tiles are not so good in W10M

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys, Why MS just don't know how to make Live Tiles anymore?

Look at the new animation on the Photos Tile. In selfies it's just my hair and forehead...
wp_ss_20151110_0001.pngwp_ss_20151110_0002.png

When it's on landscape it can be good or not.
wp_ss_20151110_0003.pngwp_ss_20151110_0004.png

Then look at this wasted space on "Calendar" and "Alarms and Clock".
Why Storage and Battery Tile is not Live? It was one of the "new features" of Denim, an Live Battery Tile...
wp_ss_20151110_0005.pngwp_ss_20151110_0006.png

Any other Live Tile that you think is bad?

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
They invented one of the better interfaces but repeatedly fail to implement it properly. In a better way it can be said that the design is not evolving to be more functional. Interactive tiles?

Even if you click on an item in a live tile, it wont take you to that page/news/mail but to the app's default page and leaves you to find the news/mail that brought you there.

nekkedrunner

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Better?
Personally, looks to me like they are taking advice on the U.I. from 10 year olds.
Operationally, looks to me like they are taking advice on the O.S. from Hackers.

nekkedrunner

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Win 7 before the 'make it pretty' BS.

Live Tiles...I have them all off and as many icons as I can wiped out. What is the need or even the appeal of live icons.
Then I tackled the XBOX app which of no surprise cannot be uninstalled normally.
Had to write a program to deal with that Microsoft ForceWare.

Then I had to tackl the ONEDRIVE (aka: WWYBN : We Want Your Blood Next)

Then I had to tackl forced updates. Now I can decide which get installed, if at all.
It is BS that I have to butcher things to make MY computer work MY way.

Good Lord I HATE the Cloud concept no matter how appealing the industry is making it sound like
a breakthrough for us.
What that really means, we are gonna own your privacy, your info and your computer and make a whole lot of $$$$ doing it
once it is in place and people have no choices!
All we had to do was dangle a FREE carrot and wait for the mules to come biting.
I'd rather pay for a STORM CLOUD FREE O.S.

The war of Google, Microsoft and Apple for control of our computers has all the makings of a scary movie.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I tend to agree.

Re: the Photos live tile...
I transferred a folder of 1000+ photos (all marked as favourites) to my Lumia 950 & set the Photos live tile to 'Favourites'.
Is it suppose to randomly shuffle through the favourites..? I was expecting similar behavour to WP8.1's Photos live tile.

Alo, I find pinned contacts from the People App don't flick around as frequently as on WP8.1.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Win 7 before the 'make it pretty' BS.

Live Tiles...I have them all off and as many icons as I can wiped out. What is the need or even the appeal of live icons.
Then I tackled the XBOX app which of no surprise cannot be uninstalled normally.
Had to write a program to deal with that Microsoft ForceWare.

Then I had to tackl the ONEDRIVE (aka: WWYBN : We Want Your Blood Next)

Then I had to tackl forced updates. Now I can decide which get installed, if at all.
It is BS that I have to butcher things to make MY computer work MY way.

Good Lord I HATE the Cloud concept no matter how appealing the industry is making it sound like
a breakthrough for us.
What that really means, we are gonna own your privacy, your info and your computer and make a whole lot of $$$$ doing it
once it is in place and people have no choices!
All we had to do was dangle a FREE carrot and wait for the mules to come biting.
I'd rather pay for a STORM CLOUD FREE O.S.

The war of Google, Microsoft and Apple for control of our computers has all the makings of a scary movie.

Umm... Thanks for the rant... Kinda off topic though. This was about the phone interface. Just saying. Though, I sympathize with your dislike of the desktop interface. There should be a way for people like you to shut it off when you aren't using it.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I believe the problem comes from Live Tiles being spaced way to far apart. Here is example that I think would be better. Basically tablet mode on mobile, so it's not as stretched out and more compact.Win10Mobile.jpg

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
This is one aspect in which I prefer Apple, they bring out the best in even the simplest of things while others barely touch the potential with the best of ideas.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Good observations @ WesleyBPeres. I had to charge my HTC Radar to confirm how live tiles perform on it. Below are my observations about photo tile.

1) The pictures in your top two screenshots are of selfies in portrait mode. Your live tile in landscape mode (elongated rectangle). I tested the same on WP7 and it displays the same way as your screenshot.

2) The live tile is designed to just show glimpse of what is your photos folder/favorites. It also has transition affects that zooms out. Hence you see the cropped images on your live tile.

I agree to rest of the things you noted about the space on tiles. The space on tiles could be better managed.

1) Calendar - Show multiple events as a list
2) Alarm clock - Show alarm clock tile with animated clock on it.

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Good observations @ WesleyBPeres. I had to charge my HTC Radar to confirm how live tiles perform on it. Below are my observations about photo tile.

1) The pictures in your top two screenshots are of selfies in portrait mode. Your live tile in landscape mode (elongated rectangle). I tested the same on WP7 and it displays the same way as your screenshot.

2) The live tile is designed to just show glimpse of what is your photos folder/favorites. It also has transition affects that zooms out. Hence you see the cropped images on your live tile.

I agree to rest of the things you noted about the space on tiles. The space on tiles could be better managed.

1) Calendar - Show multiple events as a list
2) Alarm clock - Show alarm clock tile with animated clock on it.

I decided to go back to WP8.1 Denim after a problem on last Insider build (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-107-available-fast-insiders.html#post3404681).

I agree with you about the self ones, but look at the comparison with the same photos. The WP8.1 knows where "to look" in the photo to get the important part. But W10M just looks at default points.

Two screenshots cause WP8.1 starts from above and goes down.

First photo that I got a screenshot on W10M, we had my hair and forehead. Now we have my face in focus.
wp_ss_20160211_0003.pngwp_ss_20160211_0004.png

The second photo was too zoomed. This one on WP8.1 is not too zoomed, but yes, it's really near.
wp_ss_20160211_0007.pngwp_ss_20160211_0008.png

The third photo is good in both OSs.
wp_ss_20160211_0005.pngwp_ss_20160211_0006.png

Here we don't just have the head of my girlfriend, but the hole body.
wp_ss_20160211_0001.pngwp_ss_20160211_0002.png

Something is really wrong with the Photo's Live Tile in W10M. The problem is that in W10M the Tile is focusing in the wrong place, I mean, if the camera app have something like "finding faces", why the Photo's Live Tile appears to start in specific points and not the most important ones?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos