How to open a txt file 📁 on Windows 10 Mobile?

Hackemate

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Every time I tried open a txt file from my phone or my OneDrive it shows this message.
Help please. Thanks.
Build 10581.
N2XvKhg.jpg

Ickis99

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I use Freda E-Book Reader for .txt Files. But it?s still a shame that not even the latest Mobile Word supports it.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
There's even a better app. It's called "Code Editor" by "InsideCode". It is cleaner than all other similar apps and can open all kinds of text files including programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc. But the best part, it can also simply open .txt files directly from OneDrive or email attachments and can even edit them. Very similar to what Word used to offer. It also offers Simple as well as Advanced editor for coding.

However, its free version only offers Simple one. And the greatest advantage it has is that it can directly upload edited docs to OneDrive (also only using Pro version, sadly). Much needed app.

Get it here:-

(Free version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ode-editor-free%2F9nblggh09fs3&token=BbqVXrlW

(Pro version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Fcode-editor%2F9wzdncrdrwgb&token=jkCJBq4i

Enjoy! :excited:

Hackemate

May 30, 2012
Visit site
There's even a better app. It's called "Code Editor" by "InsideCode". It is cleaner than all other similar apps and can open all kinds of text files including programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc. But the best part, it can also simply open .txt files directly from OneDrive or email attachments and can even edit them. Very similar to what Word used to offer. It also offers Simple as well as Advanced editor for coding.

However, its free version only offers Simple one. And the greatest advantage it has is that it can directly upload edited docs to OneDrive (also only using Pro version, sadly). Much needed app.

Get it here:-

(Free version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ode-editor-free%2F9nblggh09fs3&token=nwJM3cgw

(Pro version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Fcode-editor%2F9wzdncrdrwgb&token=gJwuRHIb

Enjoy! :excited:

Thank you, I got it 😊

Sent from mTalk

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
And it doesn't open programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc...
But he clearly asked for: "Only want to see txt files."

Please don't get mad at me. I posted that for everyone who wants such an app and not for anyone specific. Because, these forum threads remain active forever and many would visit this thread. For them it is. Also, look up, the original asker has also considered it.

marpamcy

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Please don't get mad at me. I posted that for everyone who wants such an app and not for anyone specific. Because, these forum threads remain active forever and many would visit this thread. For them it is. Also, look up, the original asker has also considered it.

Why get mad. Its a conversation. I have also downloaded the app you proposed, it fits my needs, i was just proposing a more simple app for just reading texts. No worries bro.

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame that Word for mobile won't open .TXT files, but it also won't handle .RTF files either.

It's not the ability that is missing, just the way to select those files to be open by a specific program. Applications in windows Phone , open file types only if they are associated with that file type.

All MS needs to do is associate RTF and TXT files with their word app. Why this is not done, as it is a very simple thing, remains a mystery.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It's not the ability that is missing, just the way to select those files to be open by a specific program. Applications in windows Phone , open file types only if they are associated with that file type.

All MS needs to do is associate RTF and TXT files with their word app. Why this is not done, as it is a very simple thing, remains a mystery.

Possibly. But once you are inside Word Mobile, it doesn't have the normal option to select ANY other file type. So anything other than .doc/.docx etc listed in this screenshot cannot be opened in Word Mobile.

2016-02-12.png

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Possibly. But once you are inside Word Mobile, it doesn't have the normal option to select ANY other file type. So anything other than .doc/.docx etc listed in this screenshot cannot be opened in Word Mobile.

View attachment 122188
That's what I was saying.

Unlike Desktop where you have the drop-down you have in the picture, in Windows Phone/Mobile, dynamic association like that is not allowed.

In Windows Phone/Mobile, you associate the app for a certain file type in code. That association, is missing. So until Microsoft decides to allow us to use Word Mobile that way, we have to go with 3rd party apps.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
There's another good app. It's called Text Reader, developer is Ryan Tremblay. It's a universal app and uses W10M's design language. It can open common text files from email, OneDrive, File Explorer, etc. directly.

Nostromov

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows). What kind of useless junk are these Micro$oft phones, omg.

The myriad of applications that are suggested, from Windows Store, I have never seen them before - never, ever, heard of them - nor can I trust them, why should we. There is no Microsoft Windows Notepad (notepad.exe), there isn't Notepad++, nor any of the other popular, known, software.

What is going on with these people, how can they sell such phones. :( Every single thing that I have tried to do so far, I've hit a wall. WTH, why is this happening. :/

Edit: There is -also- no WinZIP, no WinRAR, no 7-Zip. Again, only some strange, unknown, applications - to handle compressed archives. It's a living nightmare - and I had, just, paid money for it.

*4 a WINDOWS phone, which doesn't have any of the WINDOWS programs - which I am using on WINDOWS, right here, on this desktop PC. o.0

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss