How to open a txt file 📁 on Windows 10 Mobile?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows). What kind of useless junk are these Micro$oft phones, omg.

The myriad of applications that are suggested, from Windows Store, I have never seen them before - never, ever, heard of them - nor can I trust them, why should we. There is no Microsoft Windows Notepad (notepad.exe), there isn't Notepad++, nor any of the other popular, known, software.

What is going on with these people, how can they sell such phones. :( Every single thing that I have tried to do so far, I've hit a wall. WTH, why is this happening. :/

Edit: There is -also- no WinZIP, no WinRAR, no 7-Zip. Again, only some strange, unknown, applications - to handle compressed archives. It's a living nightmare - and I had, just, paid money for it.

*4 a WINDOWS phone, which doesn't have any of the WINDOWS programs - which I am using on WINDOWS, right here, on this desktop PC. o.0

My 520 handles zip and text. If you are here for blaming, you're in the wrong place

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows)

I ran into this a while back on WM10 also.
Unfortunately I was forced to download an old abandon app in order to facilitate the reading of .txt files.
A very frustrating situation indeed.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually MS Word on WP8.1.X was able to perfectly open *.txt files. I'm surprised that the WM10 counterpart doesn't support it yet. As another poster mentioned, Microsoft needs to assign the existing WM10 MS Word app with *.txt files and everything would be hanky dory again.

Snaffie

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
There's even a better app. It's called "Code Editor" by "InsideCode". It is cleaner than all other similar apps and can open all kinds of text files including programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc. But the best part, it can also simply open .txt files directly from OneDrive or email attachments and can even edit them. Very similar to what Word used to offer. It also offers Simple as well as Advanced editor for coding.

However, its free version only offers Simple one. And the greatest advantage it has is that it can directly upload edited docs to OneDrive (also only using Pro version, sadly). Much needed app.

Get it here:-

(Free version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ode-editor-free%2F9nblggh09fs3&token=P0uNrZnC

(Pro version) https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Fcode-editor%2F9wzdncrdrwgb&token=DdahPvG2

Enjoy! :excited:

Thanks, I just bought this based upon what you said (have to support Devs of good products don't we!) :)

I have one general SERIOUS question related to this app, AND all other apps that have this same request:

You buy and App from a 3rd party, and like this one, in the setup it may say something like "Log into your OneDrive, or Windows account to carry on"
In this case it's OneDrive.

So I'm typing my private Windows log-on password into a 3rd party app.
Is this safe, as it's the very very last thing anyone wants compromised.

Does make me worry.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So I'm typing my private Windows log-on password into a 3rd party app.
Is this safe, as it's the very very last thing anyone wants compromised.

That sign in is for your Microsoft account to allow the app access to OneDrive for uploads or file transfers.
You aren't giving your log in to the Code Editor app.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Notepadx is really nice.. Simple beautiful win 10 design language
Thanks for this!! Since the last update, TextReader has become very slow and laggy. It takes ages to load and open files and simply crashes when opening files from OneDrive or email. NotepadX is awesome with no ads and tons of features.

Last edited:

Nostromov

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
My 520 handles zip and text. If you are here for blaming, you're in the wrong place
I swear that I wasn't!.. This is my first (ever!) Microsoft phone purchase and I'm having a hard time figuring out why the Store applications are all unique software with (very!) similar names to existing programs, for example, while being from a COMPLETELY different developer (& have absolutely nothing to do with the original author(s) :))

... I wanted to have: 1) a 1337 (Micro$oft) 10 (!) phone, which not a lot of people get (?!), 2) try it (!), try something new and see how it works, expand my horizons. :)

However, from what I'm seeing, the only consistent, sane, thing are the "Rovio" games (heck yeah), but there isn't much else that seems to be designed with the user in mind? o.0

Nostromov

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm using Notepad T'.
^^ Whoa, your link writes:
Link Removed by Mod
... However, taking a look at it - it's, actually:

Link Removed by Mod

& it seems to be, some, advertising spam-bait?! :-0

... This is what it wants to open (totally blocked on my b0x, protected from advertising junk, hehe), opens a blank page with the following URL:

Link Removed by Mod

Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at clkde.tradedoubler.com. << Because my (Windows) hosts file and Adblock Plus will not allow it to load! =)

P.S. Ugh, there are no
Code:
[/B] tags allowed on the forum?.. I don't wanna repeat his spam-links, not about to (re)post fake live links!! :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ Its not his fault. Windows Central uses Trade Doubler for advertising. All links posted on forums are converted to Trade Doubler redirect links...meaning clicking on the link will eventually get you there. Sometimes the modified redirect link does get messed up, though in this case it didn't. You have an invalid link to the app posted. The correct link is this.

Or: https ://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh68gks

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I swear that I wasn't!.. This is my first (ever!) Microsoft phone purchase and I'm having a hard time figuring out why the Store applications are all unique software with (very!) similar names to existing programs, for example, while being from a COMPLETELY different developer (& have absolutely nothing to do with the original author(s) :))

... I wanted to have: 1) a 1337 (Micro$oft) 10 (!) phone, which not a lot of people get (?!), 2) try it (!), try something new and see how it works, expand my horizons. :)

However, from what I'm seeing, the only consistent, sane, thing are the "Rovio" games (heck yeah), but there isn't much else that seems to be designed with the user in mind? o.0

Mine it's a very old post. Now I changed phone. I know well now txt and zip needs 3rd party app. No gap app in MS mobile ;)

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It seems that Word Mobile can now read txt documents again after one of the last updates. Indeed it does on my Lumia 650 with version 17.7167.47652.0 on insider build 14393

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6