07-21-2016 06:20 AM
37 12
tools
    Every time I tried open a txt file from my phone or my OneDrive it shows this message.
    Help please. Thanks.
    Build 10581.
    11-12-2015 03:16 AM
    I've suggested them to make File Explorer able to open simple txt files.
    11-13-2015 05:57 AM
    I use Freda E-Book Reader for .txt Files. But its still a shame that not even the latest Mobile Word supports it.
    11-13-2015 08:51 AM
    I primarily use Text Reader App

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=8pHpoKO8

You didn't specify if you want to edit and save such files.
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    11-14-2015 04:47 AM
    I primarily use Text Reader App

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=ddb1z5RN

You didn't specify if you want to edit and save such files.

Only want to see txt files. Thanks

Sent from mTalk
    11-15-2015 12:07 PM
    There's even a better app. It's called "Code Editor" by "InsideCode". It is cleaner than all other similar apps and can open all kinds of text files including programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc. But the best part, it can also simply open .txt files directly from OneDrive or email attachments and can even edit them. Very similar to what Word used to offer. It also offers Simple as well as Advanced editor for coding.

However, its free version only offers Simple one. And the greatest advantage it has is that it can directly upload edited docs to OneDrive (also only using Pro version, sadly). Much needed app.

Get it here:-

(Free version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=U_YB9PwG

(Pro version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=pjdWxi5q

Enjoy!
    11-22-2015 01:21 AM

Sent from mTalk
    "Fileviewer" is very light, simple and does the job.
    11-22-2015 04:04 AM
    "Fileviewer" is very light, simple and does the job.
    It doesn't let you select and copy the text, I guess.
    11-22-2015 04:34 AM
    There's even a better app. It's called "Code Editor" by "InsideCode". It is cleaner than all other similar apps and can open all kinds of text files including programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc. But the best part, it can also simply open .txt files directly from OneDrive or email attachments and can even edit them. Very similar to what Word used to offer. It also offers Simple as well as Advanced editor for coding.

However, its free version only offers Simple one. And the greatest advantage it has is that it can directly upload edited docs to OneDrive (also only using Pro version, sadly). Much needed app.

(Free version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=n7GyZ0FY

(Pro version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=dh2yKWoI

Enjoy!

Thank you, I got it 😊

Sent from mTalk
    Deepak likes this.
    11-22-2015 01:11 PM

Sent from mTalk
    It doesn't let you select and copy the text, I guess.
    And it doesn't open programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc...
    But he clearly asked for: "Only want to see txt files."
    11-22-2015 01:21 PM
    And it doesn't open programming code files like .cpp, .java, etc...
    But he clearly asked for: "Only want to see txt files."
    Please don't get mad at me. I posted that for everyone who wants such an app and not for anyone specific. Because, these forum threads remain active forever and many would visit this thread. For them it is. Also, look up, the original asker has also considered it.
    11-22-2015 01:47 PM
    Please don't get mad at me. I posted that for everyone who wants such an app and not for anyone specific. Because, these forum threads remain active forever and many would visit this thread. For them it is. Also, look up, the original asker has also considered it.
    Why get mad. Its a conversation. I have also downloaded the app you proposed, it fits my needs, i was just proposing a more simple app for just reading texts. No worries bro.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    11-22-2015 02:44 PM
    the office app in wp8 was able to read .txt files. But this much advanced windows 10 mobile version of word can't. what a shame!
    02-11-2016 03:12 AM
    It's a shame that Word for mobile won't open .TXT files, but it also won't handle .RTF files either.
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    02-11-2016 06:21 AM
    It's a shame that Word for mobile won't open .TXT files, but it also won't handle .RTF files either.
    It's not the ability that is missing, just the way to select those files to be open by a specific program. Applications in windows Phone , open file types only if they are associated with that file type.

All MS needs to do is associate RTF and TXT files with their word app. Why this is not done, as it is a very simple thing, remains a mystery.
    02-12-2016 02:31 AM
    It's not the ability that is missing, just the way to select those files to be open by a specific program. Applications in windows Phone , open file types only if they are associated with that file type.

All MS needs to do is associate RTF and TXT files with their word app. Why this is not done, as it is a very simple thing, remains a mystery.
    Possibly. But once you are inside Word Mobile, it doesn't have the normal option to select ANY other file type. So anything other than .doc/.docx etc listed in this screenshot cannot be opened in Word Mobile.

2016-02-12.png
    02-12-2016 06:19 AM
    Possibly. But once you are inside Word Mobile, it doesn't have the normal option to select ANY other file type. So anything other than .doc/.docx etc listed in this screenshot cannot be opened in Word Mobile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-12.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	122188
    That's what I was saying.

Unlike Desktop where you have the drop-down you have in the picture, in Windows Phone/Mobile, dynamic association like that is not allowed.

In Windows Phone/Mobile, you associate the app for a certain file type in code. That association, is missing. So until Microsoft decides to allow us to use Word Mobile that way, we have to go with 3rd party apps.
    02-12-2016 10:36 AM
    There's another good app. It's called Text Reader, developer is Ryan Tremblay. It's a universal app and uses W10M's design language. It can open common text files from email, OneDrive, File Explorer, etc. directly.
    Guytronic and Kevin Rush like this.
    02-13-2016 11:01 AM
    You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows). What kind of useless junk are these Micro$oft phones, omg.

The myriad of applications that are suggested, from Windows Store, I have never seen them before - never, ever, heard of them - nor can I trust them, why should we. There is no Microsoft Windows Notepad (notepad.exe), there isn't Notepad++, nor any of the other popular, known, software.

What is going on with these people, how can they sell such phones. :( Every single thing that I have tried to do so far, I've hit a wall. WTH, why is this happening. :/

Edit: There is -also- no WinZIP, no WinRAR, no 7-Zip. Again, only some strange, unknown, applications - to handle compressed archives. It's a living nightmare - and I had, just, paid money for it.

*4 a WINDOWS phone, which doesn't have any of the WINDOWS programs - which I am using on WINDOWS, right here, on this desktop PC. o.0
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    03-13-2016 01:35 PM
    So until Microsoft decides to allow us to use Word Mobile that way, we have to go with 3rd party apps.
    It's quite sickening, how Word can't open my .TXT file, either; it's not in the file list, it's impossible. :(
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    03-13-2016 02:10 PM
    You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows). What kind of useless junk are these Micro$oft phones, omg.

The myriad of applications that are suggested, from Windows Store, I have never seen them before - never, ever, heard of them - nor can I trust them, why should we. There is no Microsoft Windows Notepad (notepad.exe), there isn't Notepad++, nor any of the other popular, known, software.

What is going on with these people, how can they sell such phones. :( Every single thing that I have tried to do so far, I've hit a wall. WTH, why is this happening. :/

Edit: There is -also- no WinZIP, no WinRAR, no 7-Zip. Again, only some strange, unknown, applications - to handle compressed archives. It's a living nightmare - and I had, just, paid money for it.

*4 a WINDOWS phone, which doesn't have any of the WINDOWS programs - which I am using on WINDOWS, right here, on this desktop PC. o.0
    My 520 handles zip and text. If you are here for blaming, you're in the wrong place
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    03-13-2016 02:20 PM
    You've gotta be joking, my (brand) new Lumia 550 is unable to open .TXT files. These are simple, plaintext, files (from Windows)
    I ran into this a while back on WM10 also.
    Unfortunately I was forced to download an old abandon app in order to facilitate the reading of .txt files.
    A very frustrating situation indeed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-13-2016 02:33 PM
    Actually MS Word on WP8.1.X was able to perfectly open *.txt files. I'm surprised that the WM10 counterpart doesn't support it yet. As another poster mentioned, Microsoft needs to assign the existing WM10 MS Word app with *.txt files and everything would be hanky dory again.
    03-13-2016 02:50 PM

(Free version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=jouCYkUm

(Pro version) http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=quco4RWn

Enjoy!

Thanks, I just bought this based upon what you said (have to support Devs of good products don't we!) :)

I have one general SERIOUS question related to this app, AND all other apps that have this same request:

You buy and App from a 3rd party, and like this one, in the setup it may say something like "Log into your OneDrive, or Windows account to carry on"
    In this case it's OneDrive.

So I'm typing my private Windows log-on password into a 3rd party app.
    Is this safe, as it's the very very last thing anyone wants compromised.

Does make me worry.
    03-13-2016 04:36 PM
    So I'm typing my private Windows log-on password into a 3rd party app.
    Is this safe, as it's the very very last thing anyone wants compromised.
    That sign in is for your Microsoft account to allow the app access to OneDrive for uploads or file transfers.
    You aren't giving your log in to the Code Editor app.
    Deepak likes this.
    03-13-2016 06:46 PM
37 12