Build 10586 ready for use as a daily driver?

jbaylon

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I've got an HTX One M8 on AT&T, and I noticed recently that Microsoft has listed my phone as compatible for the windows 10 Mobile updates. Honestly, I'm a bit tired of waiting for windows 10, and I want to install it on my phone. However, I've got two concerns I'd need more confidence in before I make the plunge.

1) Is the latest build ready to be a daily driver? Is it stable enough, quick enough, and full featured enough? Is the installation process safe enough that I won't run the risk of permanently ruining my phone? I know Microsoft has said they are almost ready to release W10M, but I'd love some opinions from people who have used it.

2) Will I have any issues with AT&T? I would be surprised if this was an issue, but I got a little worried when the Insider app asked me about potential data cost hikes and whatnot affiliated with upgrading my OS. Is there anything to worry about here?

I don't have a backup phone, and I don't want my phone to die forever. However, I'm pretty tech savvy generally, and I've got my data backed up, so I'm not too worried about needing to roll back to 8.1 or hard reset the phone or whatnot.

Thanks!

thomasdtran

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

I installed Build 10586 from 8.1 on my Lumia 822 and so far it works really well. The OS is stable and it's about the same speed, if not faster than 8.1. I just ordered a new OEM battery to see if the battery drain is due to the OS or my battery.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

If your new build is buggy, please consider doing a hard reset without restoring a backup and keep in mind that there are users who aren't having the same issues :p

@OP.. As you can see w10m isn't a success for everyone. We can't pin it down to a certain phone or a certain user. Some report perfection and some report failure. You won't know which side you stand on, until you try it unfortunately. I can tell you that most people do upgrade successfully otherwise this whole program would've been a failure since the beginning.

Like anguila says.. give it a shot and if you don't like it downgrade using the windows device recovery tool (download the tool first to check if it can detect your phone)

jbaylon

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Welp,
Taking the plunge. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be prepared to roll back to 8.1 if necessary. I'll let you know how it feels after the install!

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, I would have said yes about 10581 but either this build is a lot buggier or I was just lucky before. My main issues now are that messaging crashes and skype integration no longer works. I did a hard reset and didn't restore from backup.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re:

I installed Build 10586 from 8.1 on my Lumia 822 and so far it works really well. The OS is stable and it's about the same speed, if not faster than 8.1. I just ordered a new OEM battery to see if the battery drain is due to the OS or my battery.

Me too. I bit the bullet and jumped straight from 8.1 on my 920. The only obvious things, so far, are that Gestures Beta says it doesn't work on this version and a newer version doesn't shown up. Also Here Drive + and Here Transit say to download the "new improved" versions but I can't find them either.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Me too. I bit the bullet and jumped straight from 8.1 on my 920. The only obvious things, so far, are that Gestures Beta says it doesn't work on this version and a newer version doesn't shown up. Also Here Drive + and Here Transit say to download the "new improved" versions but I can't find them either.

Yupp MS has yet to implement support for gestures on w10m and the HERE apps issue isn't a new one. Some users still have them, but others don't and can't download them

anon(8057870)

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
No, I would have said yes about 10581 but either this build is a lot buggier or I was just lucky before. My main issues now are that messaging crashes and skype integration no longer works. I did a hard reset and didn't restore from backup.
did you go to skype setup in the massage +skype app?

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had constant crashes, lag and weird scrolling issues, SMS crashes almost 75% of the time, and app updates are in constant error. Using it on a 920 that was hard reset and a 640 that wasn't. same experience on both. I'm sorry to say yet again, 10 isn't for me yet and I'll be going back to 8.1.

Sigh..

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
did you go to skype setup in the massage +skype app?

Yes, I set it up and logged in to Skype, but the only effect was that the app would crash constantly. I finally logged back out of Skype in an attempt to make messaging work at least with SMS, but it still crashes when I open it. I always have to open it twice to get it to stay open.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had constant crashes, lag and weird scrolling issues, SMS crashes almost 75% of the time, and app updates are in constant error. Using it on a 920 that was hard reset and a 640 that wasn't. same experience on both. I'm sorry to say yet again, 10 isn't for me yet and I'll be going back to 8.1.

Sigh..

Same here with SMS crashing and app updates. The last build was actually a lot better, with none of these issues (for me at least).

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, silly question - why not restore from backup after a hard reset?

Went from 8.1 to new build for first time yesterday, all was ok apart from quiet hours not working. So just done a hard reset and currently waiting for all the apps to redownload from my backup..........At least auto quiet hours is working again - but have i stuffed something by loading a backup??

jbaylon

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Got 10586 yesterday evening, and so far my experience is a mostly positive one. First off: HOLY COW, IT'S GORGEOUS. Just so, so pretty. UI elements are well thought out. I'm honestly very impressed at how fluid and intuitive and pretty it comes across when there are really only very minimal changes to the interface and mechanics. The updated apps (weather, messaging and phone, pandora, etc.) also help with the improved experience.

Performance: Generally very fluid. Messaging app was glitchy (opening but not showing threads, crashing, being slow, etc.) right after install, but it seems peppy and stable now. Other apps seem fast and smooth. A couple other apps (e.g. Pandora) were super glitchy as well, but uninstalling and re-installing seems to have fixed all the issues I've seen so far.

One major maybe issue: Battery. First, I left my phone charging through the night, as I usually do, and when my alarm went off this morning, my phone was HOT. Like it was trying to light itself on fire. Battery was charged, no apps in the background. I immediately turned it off, let it cool down, and started it up. So far no issues since, but I'm concerned that it will try to overheat itself every time I plug it in. Has anyone else seen this problem? Maybe it's a "you just installed a new OS so I need to spend all night chugging through data" issue?

Second, it does generally eat through battery life quickly. With minimal use and only a couple hours into today, it seems questionable that it will even survive my workday. Not a game changer, yet, and I hope it gets optimized a bit, but so far the battery drains noticeably faster than it did under 8.1. Again, maybe this issue is a result of the recent install and will just fade away in a day or two, but for now I'm watching my battery meter with a measure of suspicion.

tyee44

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Re:

i installed 586.11, 2 days ago on my Nokia 1520 from build 581. Everything downloaded and installed in less than 1/2 hour. The things and apps I use work very good. The external sd card is now showing useage and seems accurate, and all previous music, audio books, and movies previously stored on the sd card WORKS!!. Groove is working great, outlook is good, calender is good.
overall new downloads seem to be downloading faster. I am unable to tell yet about battery efficiency yet. The lumia camera worked the first day, but ultimately stopped and I am using microsoft's camera now. i set up astrill vpn and it seems to work faster than my ipad 4 app or my computers window 10 app. The store continue upgrading various apps. i only have 4 apps the have not upgraded because of errors... All in all I am happy with the newer 586.11 upgrade

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried it again today just to make sure it still sucked. It still sucks. Crashes everywhere. I feel sorry for folks who paid 600 for a 950.

jbaylon

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Not that I'm that experienced with the OS (only had it for 24 hours now), but literally nothing has crashed or seemed glitchy or unstable. The only eyebrow raiser for me is higher battery drain than I'm used to, but it's not unusable now, and I hope (and, maybe, expect) that over the next few days it'll level out a bit.

I guess I just don't understand the "crashes everywhere" statement. What crashes are you seeing? And under what circumstances? Obviously your mileage will vary, but I'm surprised your experience would be so bad since mine was fairly seamless.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried it again today just to make sure it still sucked. It still sucks. Crashes everywhere. I feel sorry for folks who paid 600 for a 950.

Have this build on my L830 and although it is usable can't say I'm overly impressed (haven't hard reset yet), did a hard rest on my L1020 (this build wasn't playing so nice on it) and ending up with a jackpot of the "not to good kind", me thinks were about to hard reset and move to another platform if this is the best MS can do. Ever since giving W10M a go (several builds back) I've experienced many inconsistencies with the OS in that the outcomes when opening apps, performing an action/function and so on can vary from time to time, too often for my liking especially when it hinders my daily routine.

As for my L1020, was working ok on build 10581 and maybe even a tad better than my L830 did, upgraded to 10586 and suddenly things appeared to be on the decline :-(. phone became more sluggish, responsiveness to actions seemed to diminish as did the touch sensitivity. OK you say, lets do a hard reset and everything should be ticketyboo, haahahaha not by a longshot, the other idiosyncrasies still existed along with a few added just to spice things up, a weird one was on occasion is when I fired up the camera, a series of 15-20 icons which looks like the camera icon itself, will display/flash on the screen for a split second, store refuses to download some apps which upon investigating appears to be a known problem and the list goes on, needless to say I'm reverting back to W8.1 as this debacle (in opinion) is getting out of hand.

So, "is build 10586 ready for use as a daily driver?", all I can say to that is "your mileage will vary", sediments relayed many times over, considering the miniscule amount of varying devices in the Windows phone realm compared to PCs I personally find this whole W10M venture very poorly implemented bar none, for those having little to no issues kudos to you but sadly I can't say the same.

Update:
A bug found that may just be mine lol, whilst my L1020 was on build 10581 I did an backup of settings/apps and OneDrive indicated such, with both 830 and 1020 on build 10586 did same to each twice yet could not find instances of any, just finished restoring 1020 to W8.1 and tried backup again, now shows on OneDrive???

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes