11-24-2015 02:22 AM
76 1234
tools
    Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!
    Well, the 950/950XL are the result of the use of designs Nokia had previously rejected. These phones were developed completely under Microsoft. Microsoft simply wanted to cut costs as much as possible and designers are a cost (which is understandable given how much money WP makes them lose). Also, it doesn't help that a lot of talented designers stayed at Nokia ;)

That said...leave Nokia out of this. WP already took them to the brink of extinction once. They don't need to try it again to know it's poisonous. And at this point, even if Microsoft licensed the Nokia designs, marketing and brand (which is the way Nokia will tackle the smartphone business in the future), WP is already beyond saving.
    Microsoft simply took too long to take it seriously (and I'm being generous assuming they're taking it seriously now, which is something that isn't really clear...).
    Now it's too late.
    11-22-2015 08:08 PM
    Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!
    Weird lol.. MS has already said that these designs were part of the nokia acquisition so this is what your savior would've given you in the end. Let's wait till next year before claiming that the MS design team has run out of creative juices
    Laura Knotek and gpobernardo like this.
    11-22-2015 09:05 PM
    Well, the 950/950XL are the result of the use of designs Nokia had previously rejected.
    Nokia's table scraps. That explains why the 950 XL is just a bigger 640 with the camera circle from the 830 on the back.
    11-22-2015 10:19 PM
    1. Source : Siilasmaa. The talks are not live yet. But it has been retweeted by the official SlushHQ account
    2. no comment
    3. I don't care if Nokia returns or not in the phone business, I was just reporting what I heard.
    Laura Knotek, azcruz and editguy like this.
    11-23-2015 12:33 AM
    Correction: Only Microsoft can save Microsoft Mobile, no one can save them except them.
    11-23-2015 01:46 AM
    The so called unique Lumia-design didn't sell. Very few people liked the design with all the bright colors. At a time when the phone-market was still open Nokia failed with a narrow design only liked by the few.
    11-23-2015 01:47 AM
    The so called unique Lumia-design didn't sell. Very few people liked the design with all the bright colors. At a time when the phone-market was still open Nokia failed with a narrow design only liked by the few.
    That's why even Apple tried to copy that when they launched colorful iPhone 5C.
    The truth is that Lumia designs were bold and beautiful. Whether you liked it or not is your personal choice. But many people liked that. And so even the people with black and white Android phones started using colourful covers for their phones. It was a trend setter!
    11-23-2015 01:55 AM
    Obviously, sentiments vary according to region. Nokia for Indians is what Blackberry is for West. When everybody were busy with flagships, only one company thought about people who could not afford flagships. And it was Nokia. Their goal was to connect every people on this planet irrespective of the money they had in their pocket and so, they launched phones across all the budget lines and with awesome design and specs. At least pay some respect to that vision. They were the first to bring OIS to smartphones, they discovered clear black tech and supersensitive touch. Still they get 0 recognition. What a world. Wow!
    Zoran Selinsek likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:04 AM
    The truth is that Lumia designs were bold and beautiful. Whether you liked it or not is your personal choice. But many people liked that. And so even the people with black and white Android phones started using colourful covers for their phones. It was a trend setter!
    The iPhone 5C has been discontinued.
    ven07, editguy and gpobernardo like this.
    11-23-2015 02:13 AM
    I'm just saying it didn't sell... and it seems the iphone 5c didn't sell either. I have never seen a person with a 5c.
    editguy likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:28 AM
    . At least pay some respect to that vision. They were the first to bring OIS to smartphones, they discovered clear black tech and supersensitive touch. Still they get 0 recognition. What a world. Wow!
    I have mad respect for what Nokia did. They were market leaders for a long time and made great tech(still do). I have owned many Nokias over the years, and I actually loved my 5110 symbian phone. It was better than the IPhone at that time. But the the Lumias design didn't go with the masses. That's a fact.
    v535 likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:37 AM
    Oh please. As if a generic black or white slab would've won anyone over. The bright colors and unique designs undoubtable helped with more than a few sales because people actually noticed them. If MS hadn't dropped the ball with marketing and other decisions things might've been different.
    11-23-2015 02:49 AM
    Oh please. As if a generic black or white slab would've won anyone over. The bright colors and unique designs undoubtable helped with more than a few sales because people actually noticed them. If MS hadn't dropped the ball with marketing and other decisions things might've been different.
    Why did they not sell then? People knew about the phones. Why did they buy Samsungs over Lumias? The app-gap wasn't too serious back then. It's because most people don't want bold design that distance them from the masses. They want to have the same as the next guy.
    11-23-2015 03:00 AM
    Why did they not sell then? People knew about the phones. Why did they buy Samsungs over Lumias? The app-gap wasn't too serious back then. It's because most people don't want bold design that distance them from the masses. They want to have the same as the next guy.
    The app gap wasn't too serious? How's that?
    11-23-2015 03:15 AM
    950 & 950 XL are Nokia designs. Try again.
    Great deal and editguy like this.
    11-23-2015 03:17 AM
    I think the Lumia 735 is the most beutiful phone ever! (Perfect spitting image of an amazg legacy that started with the 800)
    v535 likes this.
    11-23-2015 06:05 AM
    How can a name save something, the design teams have either been merged with Microsoft or let go. The Nokia as we knew it no longer exists, they will be entering the smartphone race again, will take them a long time to get to where they were and they certainly wont want to help Microsoft, when all is said and done the familes of the people at Nokia were affected negatively and that wont be forgotten any time soon. Windows 10 and Surface brand will do it for MS along with wide spread enterprise adoption which naturally filters into the mainstream.
    11-23-2015 06:05 AM
    Nokia is known for their designs but mostly their durability. I still know users of the Nokia 3310 even up to this day. Now that Microsoft have taken over, I really believe they have learn a lot from Nokia. I think its too early to judge Microsoft, I like their design so far, but their durability is to early to speak about. Lets give it some more years to see if our phone still functions just as first purchase and then we can give them a fair judgement.
    11-23-2015 06:24 AM
    I. But the the Lumias design didn't go with the masses. That's a fact.
    It looks more like your opinion.
    11-23-2015 07:12 AM
    You do realize that the 950's, the most recent Phones, still carry the legacy of the Nokia design Philosophy which kind of makes you contradict yourself?

Personally I'm still waiting for an actual Microsoft designed Phone which still hasn't happened. If they'd make a Surface designed Phone without a Camera Lense sticking out on the back I'd be all set.
    11-23-2015 07:41 AM
    While Nokia will not save anything related to Windows phone, it is too early to write off the platform. Microsoft are playing the long game for Universal Windows. Let's see where it goes.
    11-23-2015 07:56 AM
    Makes sense that they should be Nokia pipeline designs, however that said, these phones seem to be lacking any of that Nokia design flair.
    Whilst they're top end in terms of specs, these look more like those OEM designs that get rebadged.
    One wonders if something had to give now that MS is outsourcing manufacturing.
    11-23-2015 08:01 AM
    I would say, slapping a custom intel pentium m3 on lumia or "surface phone" is the way to go and continuum will perform better, but I can't say about battery life.
    11-23-2015 08:28 AM
    Other people have said it as well, but it doesn't appear to register for some people. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is Nokia. Microsoft bought all of the parts of Nokia that involved engineering and manufacturing mobile handsets. We may not know if it was Microsoft's push that caused the 950 to be such a conservative design, but it was designed largely by the same group that designed every other Lumia phone.
    gpobernardo, ven07 and msirapian like this.
    11-23-2015 08:49 AM
    Tautology. Microsoft bought Nokia so Nokia is Microsoft; it follows therefore that Microsoft, the current maker of Windows Phones, will be the sole authority in "saving" Windows Mobile. So...

Has anyone heard of "thermoplastic elastomer silicone vulcanate"?
    mary beth hale and ven07 like this.
    11-23-2015 08:59 AM
76 1234